A Simply Pretty Way To Tie A Scarf!

how to tie a scarf Last summer, just before I went to a big blogger convention in New York City, I bought 3 or 4 new scarves in an attempt to spiff up my wardrobe. I remember wondering at the time, “Why don’t I wear more scarves?” They’re such a simple way to complete a look, not to mention nice and cozy in the wintertime! But the calendar doesn’t have to say fall or winter to wear a scarf. There are lots of beautiful summery scarves as well…such as the one I’m demonstrating with in today’s post.

I used to always wear my scarves in a “European Loop” (I had no idea that’s what it was called until I Googled it just now! lol) Which isn’t a bad way to wear a scarf! Just look at all these fab celebrities sporting the European Loop thingie! I mean if it’s good enough for Jennifer Aniston, it’s good enough for me. :-)

scarf celebs

Basically all you do is fold the scarf in half, put it around your neck, and pull the two ENDS through the LOOP, then cinch it up.

Like I said, I was perfectly happy with my scarf-tying skills UNTIL I saw THIS little beauty! And once I saw how EASY it was…I’ve been using in ever since.

how to tie a scarf

Here’s how it’s done….in THREE SIMPLE STEPS!

how to tie a scarf

The FIRST step is the same as the European Loop. Fold your scarf in half and put it around your neck. The ends hanging down on one side, and the loop on the other.

how to tie a scarf

Take ONE END and weave it through the loop like the picture above shows. OVER one side of the loop and UNDER the other side. Following me?

how to tie a scarf

Now take the OTHER END and do the same thing, but in REVERSE. Weave the end UNDER one side of the loop and then OVER the other side.

how to tie a scarf

THAT’S IT!  I TOLD YOU it was easy! :-)  Now all you have to do is cinch up the knot (kind of like a guy tying his tie does) and arrange the scarf into a nice even knot.

I just love the way it looks!

There’s actually another SLIGHT VARIATION to this scarf knot that I thought, while I was at it, I might as well show you as well. The FIRST TWO STEPS ARE THE SAME….

how to tie a scarf

Then on STEP THREE, instead of weaving the end under and over the loop, you are just going to fold it over the entire loop.

how to tie a scarf

Then take that end and pull it back up through one side of the loop.

how to tie a scarf

Finally, pull that end down straight and once again cinch up the ends until you have a nice, even knot.  Pretty huh? These two simple knots can be done with virtually any type of scarf (except, of course, an “infinite scarf”).

Go ahead, give it a try! After a couple of tries you’ll be doing it without thinking.

Of course the European Loop still comes in handy when you’re in a super big hurry!  And so you guys don’t feel left out…just look at David Beckham and Ryan Seacrest sporting it! If THEY can do it….YOU can do it! ;-)

scarf celebs

So if you’re not already a scarf enthusiast…I challenge you to try one or two! It’s such a simple way to put a little pizazz into your wardrobe!

Facebook230Twitter15Pinterest31135Google+4

Comments

1. Cynthia says

This is beautiful, and you’re right – so easy! A couple of years ago, I invested in a couple of neutral-colored lightweight, slightly sparkly scarves to liven up my wardrobe. Now, I’m into knitting and making them myself and this new way of tying will be a wonderful way to show them off! Thank so much, Jillee!

• Cynthia says

Jillee, I taught myself how to knit using YouTube videos. I started with the basic garter stitch with this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uw-nUvGrBY
        I knitted myself a scarf using this method. It turned out OK, but rather bulky for tying in this way. But, I also got myself the Knifty Knitter round loom kit:
        I have been using these to make hats and made my dad a scarf with the smallest loom. (he wanted a heavy scarf in hunter orange for next deer season).
        I also got the Knifty Knitter “flower loom” and used it to make an infinity scarf for my sister. It’s so quick and easy to loom knit!
        My biggest knitting project, though, has been knitting mitered squares, which will be sewn together to make a blanket for my niece.
        This is the link to the pattern I’m using, which I just happened to stumble across:
        I’m making small squares (25 stitches for each side. Cast-on row is 50 stitches total) out of a bunch of pretty yarn that my mother already had. I still have my work cut out for me, but I hope to get the blanket done by the time my niece turns 1 at the end of February. YIKES! I better get to work!
        Hope that helps you, Jillee!

2. Sarah says

I want to see more tips of scarf knots!!!! Oh, and Jillee, I would totally buy a book of all your recipes and ideas. I think you should do one, even if it is just adapted posts, like livingonadime.com has made. Love your site!

Well that is wonderful to hear Sarah! We are actually working on a book right now and will be taking pre-orders through the website starting in just a few weeks! I’m so excited! :-) Thanks for the vote of confidence!

3. Debbie says

Love this about the scarfs. I too recently have been wondering why don’t I wear scarves. I had a couple that I got as gifts but never wear them until recently. Then I started wondering about how to wear them …. you see the pictures of others wearing scarfs .. Thanks so much for this. So simple and yet…by the way I love your site. And every time I see One Good Thing in my inbox I smile !!

I’ve been wanting to add some scarves to my wardrobe, but I needed some help with how to tie them. This is great! One question — I’m not really seeing a difference between the final photo of the first knot and the second variation. Is that the correct photo for the second knot or what am I missing?

5. Janet L. says

I’ve been trying out tying my scarf according to your directions and I’m stuck on the second knot. Like the earlier comment poster, I’m not seeing a difference in the final pictures of the two methods. Help! Sometimes the scarves are too bulky for my neck, so I’ve cut them in half lengthwise, hemmed up the sides and now there are two, one to keep and one to give away-win, win!! Thanks for all your wonderful tips. I love your blog!

Tara and Janet…the difference between the two is subtle. The main difference is that when you bring that last end down (on the second knot) the whole thing sort of TWISTS making a slightly more bulky knot. I hope that makes some sense. :-)

• Carmen says

Trying one more time to get clarification on the second know. I see how you bring the one end up but don’t understand where the end is suppose to go when you bring it back down. I have had 5 people try to tie this one and no one has been able to do it. The very last photo looks just like the one at the end of the first knot. The first one is very easy but can’t say the same for the second one.

So Jillee,
    Being the current non-scarf sporter that I am, do you have any suggestions on places to look for scarves. I suppose they are all over but I’ve just not noticed because I haven’t been looking. Better yet, DIY sources or tutorials?
    Thanks for your help.

Andrea…a good place to find inexpensive scarves is someplace like TJ Maxx or Burlington Coat Factory. I’ve also found them at Target and even Costco! :-)
      I definitely need to do a DIY on how to make one though! Thanks for the suggestion. :-)

• Denise says

Target had a ton when I was there last week! I received a scarf as a gift and, other than wearing a heavy scarf out in the cold, I’ve never worn them as an accessory. I found a “pin” on pinterest that is 40+ ways to tie a scarf but I don’t think this style was in there. I love this!

7. Kelli says

I’ve been tying my scarf like this for a few months, and literally every time I go somewhere, I get at least one person saying, “I love that! How did you do it?” Then, they’re all stunned that it’s so easy! I hardly ever tie it any other way now.

LOVE the site – I check it every day, even if I only have a minute on the laptop. You should have an app! :)

I absolutely LOVE scarves. I agree with you, they complete the outfit!!! Thanks so much for this tutorial…can’t wait to get for the day now! :) I’ll be sharing this on my FB page and totally pin worthy!
    Happy to be your newest follower. Would love to have you stop by for a visit! Blessings ~ Judy

9. Colleen says

I have been a scarf junkie for years! Love them, and as you say, so versatile…they are a great way to finish a look, or even just add pizazz to a plain t-shirt. They are my go-to four season accessory. If you search up “40 ways to tie a scarf” on pinterest you’ll find a fun pin with more ideas.

10. Lisa R says

Thanks for the new idea! I love scarves and wear them frequently, so I’m always in the market for a new way to use them. They can really change the look of an outfit–and they are so much less expensive than buying a whole new outfit. The idea you present here is definitely getting pinned.

(Have you see the scarf jewelry that is available–another way to change the look of an outfit. purpleboxjewelry.com has some great items, good quality and affordable. And, no, I do not work for them:)

11. CTY says

Scarves like hats are psychologically a confidence booster. Scarves however, let you sport a great hairdo at the same time & don’t “mess up” your hair. You can keep a light weight one at work in case you get a spot on your shirt or in case if a big boss or new client comes around unexpected on “casual day”.

12. Rita says

A friend recently taught me the first method after she stopped a women in a store to learn it. I wish i had a scarf in front of me so I could try the 2nd but I am at work. I am sending this link home so I can try it tonight. Thanks, can’t wait to check out the rest of your site, I found this link via Pinterest.

13. Stefanie Anderson says

I feel like the second knot is missing a step, or maybe has the wrong picture at the end? I tried the first knot, and it worked beautifully, but I can’t figure out the second knot. What do you do after you bring it up through one side of the loop? Then it just hangs down from the middle of the knot? Help!

Stefanie…I’ve checked and re-checked. That’s the correct picture. The variations are subtle…but the main difference is when you bring that last end down (on the second tutorial) the whole knot sort of twists, making a slightly more bulky knot. I’m struggling with a better way to describe it. I would suggest just playing around with it a few times. Hope this helps!

I LOVE scarves! They are just like ties for women. They can tie a whole outfit together and add a splash of unexpected color and pizazz. I have 36 scarves in my collection and I’m always on the look out for new ones! My favorite place to get “new” scarves? Goodwill. I’ve gotten some beautiful silk scarves there.

15. Kami says

I think the confusion for me (and the others) with the variation “done” photo is step 4 shows the end of the scarf going over the entire loop and brought back up underneath and in between the center of the loop but the “done” photo shows it simply weaving over the top part of the loop as in the original version. I assumed it would have “circled” around the bottom loop.

A friend referred me to your blog, so glad she did! I design and crochet lots of scarves and love to wear them, but a fresh take on wearing options is always welcome! Had not seen this wonderful knot before, and can’t wait to wear and share it! Love your blog!

17. Keryn says

This is great, I now have 3 scarf ties in my repetoire :-) I was given a beautiful scarf on my 30th birthday and since then I have been hooked, it is a cheaper addiction than shoes and takes up less space. I can turn a boring, drab outfit into a fabulous one by the addition of a scarf.

I’m sitting here, nice and cosy in Canada with my fancy scarf on! One good thing at a time. Thanks for the very helpful (this will keep the cold from usual divot in the coat/scarf/sweater combo) neck warmer demo. I’ve seen these demos before but somehow your’ all over the place, bits and pieces, hints and tips, have struck my fancy. When there are too many at once, I feel overwhelmed. But I’ve practiced and I’ve got this down pat!

I love scarfs! Such a great way to spruce up an outfit. I can’t wait to try out your knots. The winter months get pretty cold here and scarfs are a necessity. I think they are awesome and can’t wait to try them. Thanks for the post. Very useful!