A Simply Pretty Way To Tie A Scarf!

how to tie a scarf Last summer, just before I went to a big blogger convention in New York City, I bought 3 or 4 new scarves in an attempt to spiff up my wardrobe. I remember wondering at the time, “Why don’t I wear more scarves?” They’re such a simple way to complete a look, not to mention nice and cozy in the wintertime! But the calendar doesn’t have to say fall or winter to wear a scarf. There are lots of beautiful summery scarves as well…such as the one I’m demonstrating with in today’s post.

I used to always wear my scarves in a “European Loop” (I had no idea that’s what it was called until I Googled it just now! lol) Which isn’t a bad way to wear a scarf! Just look at all these fab celebrities sporting the European Loop thingie! I mean if it’s good enough for Jennifer Aniston, it’s good enough for me. :-)

scarf celebs

Basically all you do is fold the scarf in half, put it around your neck, and pull the two ENDS through the LOOP, then cinch it up.

Like I said, I was perfectly happy with my scarf-tying skills UNTIL I saw THIS little beauty! And once I saw how EASY it was…I’ve been using in ever since.

how to tie a scarf

Here’s how it’s done….in THREE SIMPLE STEPS!

how to tie a scarf

The FIRST step is the same as the European Loop. Fold your scarf in half and put it around your neck. The ends hanging down on one side, and the loop on the other.

how to tie a scarf

Take ONE END and weave it through the loop like the picture above shows. OVER one side of the loop and UNDER the other side. Following me?

how to tie a scarf

Now take the OTHER END and do the same thing, but in REVERSE. Weave the end UNDER one side of the loop and then OVER the other side.

how to tie a scarf

THAT’S IT!  I TOLD YOU it was easy! :-)  Now all you have to do is cinch up the knot (kind of like a guy tying his tie does) and arrange the scarf into a nice even knot.

I just love the way it looks!

There’s actually another SLIGHT VARIATION to this scarf knot that I thought, while I was at it, I might as well show you as well. The FIRST TWO STEPS ARE THE SAME….

how to tie a scarf

Then on STEP THREE, instead of weaving the end under and over the loop, you are just going to fold it over the entire loop.

how to tie a scarf

Then take that end and pull it back up through one side of the loop.

how to tie a scarf

Finally, pull that end down straight and once again cinch up the ends until you have a nice, even knot.  Pretty huh? These two simple knots can be done with virtually any type of scarf (except, of course, an “infinite scarf”).

Go ahead, give it a try! After a couple of tries you’ll be doing it without thinking.

Of course the European Loop still comes in handy when you’re in a super big hurry!  And so you guys don’t feel left out…just look at David Beckham and Ryan Seacrest sporting it! If THEY can do it….YOU can do it! ;-)

scarf celebs

So if you’re not already a scarf enthusiast…I challenge you to try one or two! It’s such a simple way to put a little pizazz into your wardrobe!

Share on Facebook238Tweet about this on Twitter15Pin on Pinterest31,195Google+4

Comments

1. Cynthia says

This is beautiful, and you’re right – so easy! A couple of years ago, I invested in a couple of neutral-colored lightweight, slightly sparkly scarves to liven up my wardrobe. Now, I’m into knitting and making them myself and this new way of tying will be a wonderful way to show them off! Thank so much, Jillee!

• Cynthia says

Jillee, I taught myself how to knit using YouTube videos. I started with the basic garter stitch with this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uw-nUvGrBY
        I knitted myself a scarf using this method. It turned out OK, but rather bulky for tying in this way. But, I also got myself the Knifty Knitter round loom kit:
        I have been using these to make hats and made my dad a scarf with the smallest loom. (he wanted a heavy scarf in hunter orange for next deer season).
        I also got the Knifty Knitter “flower loom” and used it to make an infinity scarf for my sister. It’s so quick and easy to loom knit!
        My biggest knitting project, though, has been knitting mitered squares, which will be sewn together to make a blanket for my niece.
        This is the link to the pattern I’m using, which I just happened to stumble across:
        I’m making small squares (25 stitches for each side. Cast-on row is 50 stitches total) out of a bunch of pretty yarn that my mother already had. I still have my work cut out for me, but I hope to get the blanket done by the time my niece turns 1 at the end of February. YIKES! I better get to work!
        Hope that helps you, Jillee!

2. Sarah says

I want to see more tips of scarf knots!!!! Oh, and Jillee, I would totally buy a book of all your recipes and ideas. I think you should do one, even if it is just adapted posts, like livingonadime.com has made. Love your site!

Well that is wonderful to hear Sarah! We are actually working on a book right now and will be taking pre-orders through the website starting in just a few weeks! I’m so excited! :-) Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Love this scarf idea, so chic. I am generally not one to wear a scarf but I may just have to purchase some. Thanks for sharing and love your blog.

4. Debbie says

Love this about the scarfs. I too recently have been wondering why don’t I wear scarves. I had a couple that I got as gifts but never wear them until recently. Then I started wondering about how to wear them …. you see the pictures of others wearing scarfs .. Thanks so much for this. So simple and yet…by the way I love your site. And every time I see One Good Thing in my inbox I smile !!

I’ve been wanting to add some scarves to my wardrobe, but I needed some help with how to tie them. This is great! One question — I’m not really seeing a difference between the final photo of the first knot and the second variation. Is that the correct photo for the second knot or what am I missing?

6. Bishopsmate says

So love this!!!! I have lots of materials so……. here I come
    I heard that Parisians wear scarves because the thinking is….. they keep colds at bay.

7. Janet L. says

I’ve been trying out tying my scarf according to your directions and I’m stuck on the second knot. Like the earlier comment poster, I’m not seeing a difference in the final pictures of the two methods. Help! Sometimes the scarves are too bulky for my neck, so I’ve cut them in half lengthwise, hemmed up the sides and now there are two, one to keep and one to give away-win, win!! Thanks for all your wonderful tips. I love your blog!

Tara and Janet…the difference between the two is subtle. The main difference is that when you bring that last end down (on the second knot) the whole thing sort of TWISTS making a slightly more bulky knot. I hope that makes some sense. :-)

• Janet L. says

Thanks, I’ll give it another try. This morning I wore a new scarf to church with knot Number 1 and received lots of compliments. Thank you, Jillee!!

• Carmen says

Trying one more time to get clarification on the second know. I see how you bring the one end up but don’t understand where the end is suppose to go when you bring it back down. I have had 5 people try to tie this one and no one has been able to do it. The very last photo looks just like the one at the end of the first knot. The first one is very easy but can’t say the same for the second one.

8. Hazel says

So pretty, I love to crochet and will be making some extra long scarves to accommodate this beautifull tying style, thank you