Thursday, January 3, 2013

How To Make Homemade Noodles {Gluten-Free}

homemade noodles Yesterday I decided to make turkey noodle soup from our Christmas leftovers…but, as usual, I was faced with the gluten-free dilemma. Since No. 2 son has not been a fan of any of the store-bought GF noodles I have brought home in the past…I decided the only other option was to make my own. I mean how hard could it be? Right? :-)

I have never attempted to make my own noodles before…gluten-free or not, but the whole process turned out to be MUCH easier AND tastier than I ever thought it would be. As a matter of fact, after I made a batch of gluten-free noodles, I made another batch of regular noodles for the rest of the clan. Both versions were a big hit in the turkey soup!

Let me show you how easy it is!

homemade noodles Homemade Gluten-Free Noodles

from Wisebread.com

1 cup gluten-free flour mix (I used my old standby, Pamela’s Baking Mix)

2 teaspoons xanthan gum

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 Tablespoon olive oil

2 eggs (slightly beaten)

Mix all ingredients together until it forms a dough ball.

homemade noodles

I just threw it all into my Blendtec blender and pulsed it a few times. You could use a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, or even mix it by hand with a spoon.

homemade noodles

Take the dough ball out and place it on a hard surface dusted with more of the GF flour mix.

homemade noodles

Since  don’t have a pasta machine, I rolled mine out with a rolling pin, but it really was very easy to do! I actually think getting out a pasta machine would have been more of a hassle (but of course I could be wrong about that since I’ve never had a pasta machine! I think I need to try one…one of these days.)

homemade noodles

Just be sure to roll it VERY THIN! As you can see in the picture…mine was pretty thin…but when you boil it, it swells a bit, so even THINNER would have worked too.

homemade noodles

Now cut it into noodle ribbons using your pizza cutter. We like WIDE noodles, so I cut mine roughly 1/2 inch thick (wide?). But as you can see, some of them are more even than others. :-)  It’s ok…as my Mom says…they all eat the same!

homemade noodles

Since they were pretty long, I cut them all in half with the pizza cutter, then threw them in a pot of boiling, salted water and cooked them for approximately 3 minutes.

homemade noodles

Then I drained them in a colander and rinsed them with cold water to stop the cooking process.

homemade noodles

For the NON gluten-free noodles…I followed the same recipe, substituting regular all-purpose flour and omitting the xanthum gum, then rolled them out and cooked them in the exact same manner as above.

homemade noodles

As you can see, these noodles didn’t cook up quite as thick as the gluten-free version…I think that’s just a characteristic of the GF flour vs. the regular flour.

homemade noodles

To serve the turkey soup….I put noodles in individual bowls then added the soup to the bowls. That way I could keep the GF and regular noodles separate.

Gluten-free homemade noodles

Regular homemade noodles

I hope somehow I managed to make this LOOK as easy as it was! I think from start to finish it took me about 15 minutes per batch…and that includes cooking time! The most time consuming part of the whole meal was waiting for the hubster to return from the grocery store with the carrots! (Never send a man to buy 4 carrots. He’ll come home with 4 carrots and THREE CAKES! Oy!)

So the next time you have a hankering for homemade chicken/turkey/whatever NOODLE soup…I really hope you’ll give this a try! If I had this much success on my FIRST try…you know it has to be easy. :-)

Be sure to check out the new One Good Thing By Jillee FORUM!

Start a conversationmeet a new friend…discuss an idea…or just hang out!

See ya there!

Never miss a good thing!
Receive a daily dose of Jillee + bonus newsletters.

59 thoughts on “How To Make Homemade Noodles {Gluten-Free}

1. Angel

I have Bob’s Red Mill as well. It’s about $10-12 for a small bag but it goes a looong way so don’t let that deter you from making the purchase. :)

1. Heather

I love making homemade noodles, I have never put olive oil in it though. I also just cook the noodles in the broth and let them simmer for about 20 min. They never over cook and it gets the raw flour taste out of it. Maybe that’s what the oil if for. I think I’ll make some this weekend, yum!

2. Gloria @ glutenfreepoodle

Looks delicious! That is what I am making tonight as I made a turkey on New Years. I make my noodles from rice flour and tapioca. Tinkyada makes some delicious GF fettuchini noodles. If you are new to GF hopefully you know about cross contamination issues. A wooden board holds tons of gluten, often a colander does too. If you are using the same board you might want to buy a new GF one. As a dietitian when I see patients on a GF diet whose labs still don’t look good I look at the cross contamination, usually toasters and such. Nice post, made me hungry.
    My hubby brings home Hershey bars no matter what I sent him for. It’s a guy thing.

3. Amber

Fresh pasta can add a lot to any meal! I really enjoy making my own (I’m too cheap to purchase a pasta maker, but I hear good things about them). One tip my grandmother taught me was, when making long noodles like yours, try rolling up the dough and then slicing off coils. It goes much faster… but you do have to un-coil them before boiling. :)

By the way, I love your blog.

4. Michele

Hey Jillee—Try making what my Polish grandma called dumplings. Instead of rolling out the dough, just plop (technical term) tablespoons full of the sticky mass of goop (another technical term) into the boiling broth right before serving. The dough will expand in the process. In your case, you could just boil the dumplings in water in separate batches, as you did with the noodles. I love making these in turkey soup, so I’m going to go take my Thanksgiving turkey carcass out of the freezer now….Peace!

1. Doris

Whenever my grand children came to visit, they always wanted doughgawd soup.
      I made veggie soup and l dropped small amounts of noodle dough into the soup like your grandmom did. My grand kids are all grown up now, but still want doughgawd soup when they come to visit.

5. Kelle

I have no idea where you get these awesome ideas! Thanks again for helping me not buy staples in the center isles of the supermarket. I am so excited to make these for the kids and know what is exactly in their food.

6. Lana

Michele, my grandma made them like this too, she had severe arthritis and could not use a rolling pin. She just cut off small pieces of the dough and dropped them in the broth, thus the name drop noodles. Her great granddaughters, still make them for their families.

7. brenda

oh homemade noodleshve always been a MUST part of meals. My mother and all her sisters and mother made fabulous ones (no pasta machine) there are wooden dowel drying trees for making them ahead a bit and draping them there for drying. Mom never tried a pizza cutter

great blog contents every time. thank you and a blessed new year to you and yours

8. Jennifer

Jillee- I have an old school pasta maker that I purchased a little after graduating from culinary school. We used a brand (hand-crank) made in Italy called Marcato. My husband is trying to sway me into getting the Kitchen-Aid attachment one so that we can also have tube pasta but I am really on the fence about it. There is really something great and special about the hand crank machine. I usually make 2 lbs at a time, then section it out by portion since there are 4 in my family I segment 8 oz per pkg. It refrigerates great, so I keep them in balls in my fridge until I am ready to use them.

9. Nicholle

I have never used xanthum gum in my noodles. What is the reason for it in this recipe? I’m just curious to know. I think homemade noodles are so much more inexpensive than store bought and taste better. I didn’t go by a recipe the first time I had made them. I just guessed. :)

10. nicole

i have a crank pasta maker, and i love it, it does some of the Kneading for you. You roll the dough through then fold and roll through again, As the for the taking longer to get it out then to make the noodles i make at least 4 batches at once, you hang them for a little while to dry and they freeze like a dream. In fact i have a request from my little one for homemade beef and noodles this weekend.

11. Tiffany

I must say I LOVE your blog, since I found it I have to check it everyday!!! There are so many things I want to try now and I’ve always thought making your own noodles would be so hard, but I can’t wait to try it out!!!

12. cheryl

the pasta looks easy to make, and tasty to boot. I want to try this for sure. Here’s a tip- roll out your dough between two sheets of wax or parchment paper. It eliminates the mess, and clean up is a breeze.

13. Sarah

I LOVE making homemade noodles! I make a huge batch and take out what I need for one night’s soup. Then I take the rest of the uncooked noodles and set them in my dehydrator for 5-6 hours just long enough to dry them so they won’t stick toether. When they are done drying, I put them in a plastic storage container and throw them in the freezer. I then have extra for when I want to throw soup together quick! When we have a sick friend, you can throw a chicken drmstick, thigh, or breast in a small pot of boiling water. Add to your pot 1 carrot, 1 celery stalk, a few mushrooms, a small handful peas, oinion, garlic, sage, salt and pepper. After the chicken is cooked, take it out to debone it and add a handful of dried noodles to the pot. Add the chicken back in and voila chicken soup for one!

14. Trixie

If you have a KitchenAid Stand Mixer, they sell a pasta attachment that flattens and cuts your dough for you. I have never tried it {although my darling husband made SURE that I had all the attachments available when he bought me the mixer ;) }. I always thought you had to have a place to let them sit and dry and that thought completely overwhelmed me. LOL. I never knew you could just plop them right into the soup and cook them. Duh! LOL. Thanks again, Jillee. I may have to try out that pasta attachment. :)

15. CTY

Jillee you are one clever girl–serving the noodles in separate bowls. I’d a made 2 pots of soup. BTW making 2 types of noodles–you should get the Mother of the Year award!

16. Vanessa

I make a lot of stuff homemade, even bread! But I’ve been too scared to venture into noodles thinking they would be so time consuming. I guess I thought wrong, because these looks so easy to make. Thanks for sharing!

17. Shirley S

I make noodles at least bi-monthly. Sometimes they are plain but most often, I flavor them with herbs or spices. For chicken or turkey soup, to the noodle dough, I add garlic powder, onion powder, basil and a pinch of poultry seasoning. It’s unbelievable how much better the soup will taste.
    You can also replace one of the eggs with thawed, drained frozen spinach or tomato paste or pureed carrots or any number of other wonderful flavors. These noodles are also wonderful cut into large rectangles and used in lasagne. YUM!
    Dried noodles make terrific gifts. My family and friends ceaselessly beg for them. They can also be dried, then refrigerated or frozen for later use.

18. Christy

I also make homeade noodles when making chicken noodle soup. My recipe is not gluten free but is very simple. For every cup of flour, add 1 egg. You may need to add a spoon ful of water if you need more moisture. Mix well, roll into ball and refrigerate for about 10 minutes. Roll out, cut into strips, cook and you are done!

19. Cynthia

These look amazing, and very easy to make. However, I was taught to NEVER rinse your pasta with cold water. It makes the pasta tough. I’m not sure if the same rule applies though to homemade pasta. But, what’s the point of stopping the cooking process anyway, if you’re just going to drop the pasta into hot soup?

20. Cathy Strohfus

I always make my noodles homemade for my chicken soup. Flour, salt, baking powder and water. I also do not cook them separately. I cook them right in the soup. So yummy!

21. Beth Sherrill

Wow, I made noodles,once or twice years ago (like 20 years) I had forgotten how easy they are to make, thanks for reminding me, I have been bummed out by how expensive pasta is getting, hadn’t thought of just making my own! Duh! Love your blog Jillee

22. rachel

I’m sure the homemade noodles are 100 times better than the other varieties, but if you aren’t up to making them you might want to try rice noodles from the asian section of your grocery store. We buy pad thai style rice noodles for our GF soups; they are less expensive than the GF brands of noodles and the whole family likes them. For regular pasta my favorite is the Trader Joe’s brand of brown rice noodles–mainly the penne. I’ll have to try the homemade noodles myself, though!!

23. Sarah C

Thanks for the great recipe! I’ve been thinking about trying a GF diet because of some health issues. I love noodles, so I will have to remember this recipe!

24. Andrea

January 1st my daughter and I started a GF and CF diet. To me the hard thing is cheese but I guess you get use to it. I made cookies yesterday with chickpeas–they were good too. :) Love your blog!

25. chdadvocate

Great recipe! I love making my own pasta, and have not tried since our middle was diagnosed with celiac. In a pinch we always have RP’s GF fresh posts in the freezer. After trying tons of dry pasta, this one is the best pasta ever!

26. Janice

i love making noodles! my mother-in-law gave me a pasta maker attachment for my kitchen aid a few Christmases ago and it has been wonderful! but i haven’t found a gf recipe for noodles that we liked! the hubby has recently found out he’s “gluten-sensitive” so thank you!

27. Shana Z.

I have a whole carton of Egg Beaters in the fridge already, do you think I could use that so I don’t have to buy eggs? I hardly ever buy whole eggs, I don’t like the yolks. I’d hate to waste a box of them just to use two.

We also got some lovely flavored olive oils for Christmas and I am thinking about using the basil,garlic or maybe half of each. The lemon olive oil might be really good too. Lemony noodles sound refreshing.

28. michelle

I’m curious Jillee, if you have tried pamelas artisan flour in the recipe? I am wondering if they ‘puffed’ so much because of all the leavening that is in pamelas baking mix vs standard flour noodles which have none. The artisan flour mix has no leavening (nor salt) and so (for me anyway) seems to act more like real flour than the baking mix. I’ve been using it in my cream scone recipe and had very good results.

29. Lisa S

Jillee, just come on over to my house if you want to try the pasta machine!!! I have been wanting to try gf noodles, but have been too chicken, didn’t want to have a big “fail” on my hands!

30. Lisa S

Oh,another quick note, with the attachment that makes pasta shapes, and with the chicken and stock that I canned last summer, I had fresh pasta made into chicken and noodles in less than 30 minutes over the weekend! Pasta really doesn’t take as much time as we all think it does. After spending a couple weeks in Italy last fall, I became a believer, and the fresh pasta is soooo tender and yummy!!

31. Jamie

Does anyone know how to make GF flour so I don’t have to invest in more of Bob’s Red Mill, etc? I have a Vitamix, so I can grind my own rice, etc., but need a recipe for GF flour that would work with this recipe. Thanks, Jillee, for sharing!

32. Susan

Real Italian pasta does not have the oil and it’s easier to work if you add just a little water to the egg. The lady who taught me was born in Italy. After you roll them out thin, fold the dough in half and then fold it again. Next roll it up and slice with a knife. Shake the strands out and either cook the pasta or dry them and store them. If they are really dry, they will keep on a shelf with no need to freeze. I don’t know if the gluten free pasta can be rolled and cut. Gluten free doughs are stickier than wheat doughs.

Thanks for your help. I’ll have to make pasta now and God bless you and keep you safe.

33. Jocelyn

Oh My Word…Thank you Thank you Thank you so much for this recipe. We finally had homemade lasagna for the first time since going gluten free 2 years ago. I doubled the recipe, rolled it super thin and cut it in lasagna strips. Boiled them up and made my mother-in-laws famous lasagna for a get together. It made 2 casseroles of yummy delicious lasagna and was ABSOLUTELY to DIE for. Everyone raved about how yummy it was and that the noodles were amazing. :) I’m so very proud of myself for making them, but I have YOU to thank for this wonderful recipe. Thank you for sharing and I hope you don’t mind, but I pinned the recipe on pinterest and I am giving the link on facebook for many of my friends who asked for the recipe. I Love You!!! (ok, that was weird…stalker talk over. LOL)

34. Lois

OMGosh!! I just made your Gluten-Free Noodles! They are sooo delicious! The best I ever tasted! I like them better than the regular egg noodles you buy at the supermarket. I made my own flour mix though. I used a mixture of brown rice flour, tapioco flour, corn startch, and potato starch, plus I used guar gum in place of the xanthum gum, as that’s what I had on hand. I got the idea of the flour mixture from your GF bread recipe. I made my own alfredo sauce to pour over top of them. It was out of this world!! Love it! Thank you Jillee for that wonderful recipe. Someday soon I want to try your Gluten-Free Bread That Doesn’t Suck. I’m sure it will be a hit also. Thanks again.

35. Pingback: How To Make Homemade Noodles - Gluten Free

36. KAREN

I used my pasta machine. It was much easier than the counter. It worked fabulously and the recipe has enough elasticity that it didn’t break apart like most of the recipes I have tried.

Thank you!

37. nIKKI

Thanks for this… I’ll try it tomorrow…. but I have to say, I’ve been making pasta since I was a little girl w / my grandma… I’m disabled and I need to reduce inflamation in my body so I’m going gluten free. Because of my disability I need to be able to cook quick things like pasta w/ ghee or sauce…. have a day of taking a pain pill to cook and freeze so I don’t kill myself just to eat healthy the rest of the week. I have tried 3 gluten free pasta recipes. (my brother made 2 for me and he is a great cook) – we had mush both times…. so for you to say so quick.. oh this is just easy… I’m floored. I’ve made the exact recipe that you have here.. I found on another site.. I followed to a T.. got gew… even let the noodles dry over night…. yuch…. so I’ll try yours and try cooking them right after made…. I whish there were reviews that people had already made this and had some hints… i didn’t read every comment…. because i am in pain… but you make it look and sound like anyone who can’t do this is a fool…and i do feel like a fool… so i’ll give it a try..i dont mind being a fool… but i have to get this right or die trying. thanks (excuse the poor typing… only have one hand – bad eye site and am in pain… but still fighting good fight!!!!)