Lavender, Lemon, and Peppermint – The Natural Antihistamine

lavender lemon peppermint

Today I wish I was a songwriter….because I would totally write a song that sings the praises of this wonder cure I have been using lately.

Just a little background before I start my serenade. ;-)

For a couple of months now I have been dealing with the most random ailments. Things I’ve never dealt with before. But the two most tormenting things have been itching (all over) and swelling in my ankles. No matter WHAT I tried I couldn’t find relief! I would find temporary relief with a few natural remedies for the itching…but since it wasn’t dry skin related they really didn’t last. The swollen ankles were impervious to anything I tried!

UNTIL my sister Rebecca (Camp Wander) recommended I try something new. Through her work and research with essential oils she has become more and more convinced that many chronic medical issues stem from an allergic response our body is having to toxins. Toxins that our bodies are bombarded with every day from our drinking water, to our health and beauty products, to the materials used to build and furnish our homes!

So by following this line of thinking it makes sense that an antihistamine of some sort would help with this allergic reaction. No? YES! And, according to my sister, the combination of Lavender, Lemon, and Peppermint essential oils can create a powerful all-natural antihistamine. These three oils together can cool down body inflammation resulting from the body’s allergic response.

Lavender Lemon Peppermint

I’m going to get technical for just a minute…so bear with me. From what I understand, when an allergen of some kind (which could be a myriad of different things) enters the body, something called IGE antibodies begin releasing histamines that trigger an inflammatory response in the body. Cells start to release fluid and SWELL. The exact symptom I was having.

After Rebecca explained all this to me it made so much sense, and I was eager to give it a try! That was on December 28th and I’ve been taking the LLP combination faithfully since then and have seen an almost COMPLETE elimination of my symptoms. The itching is MUCH better (with just an occasional flare-up) and my ankles are finally back to their normal size and shape! I can’t even begin to tell you how happy I am about this!

Lavender Lemon Peppermint

While the typical recommendation for using LLP as an antihistamine is to combine equal parts Lavender, Lemon and Peppermint essential oils with 1 part fractionated coconut oil and rub it on your feet twice a day, my sister suggested I try taking it internally. At first I was a bit worried about this because I know how STRONG those oils are! But then she told me about these “gelatin capsules” (which I found at my local health food store for about 5 bucks) and I was off and running and haven’t looked back! I faithfully fill and swallow 3 capsules a day with 3 drops each of Lavender, Lemon and Peppermint in them. For me, it has made all the difference in the world.

Lavender Lemon Peppermint

Lavender Lemon Peppermint

Lavender Lemon Peppermint

Lavender Lemon Peppermint

If you would like to read a much more detailed explanation of the power of Lavender, Lemon, and Peppermint, head on over to Camp Wander and read all about it. My sister’s blog is a RICH RESOURCE if you are interested in learning more about essential oils in general.

If you are looking for an affordable, quality essential oil to purchase, I would recommend Spark Naturals. Use the coupon code JILLEE for an additional 10% off your order! :-)

I think it’s necessary here to point out that neither my sister or I are doctors and would never suggest you follow our advice without first consulting your physician. That being said, if there is a safe, more effective answer to the chronic symptoms of inflammation, isn’t it worth a try?

Share on Facebook1,860Tweet about this on Twitter33Pin on Pinterest8,910Google+4

Comments

I recently purchased a variety of doTerra essential oils and these three are probably my favorite! I love that you posted this, my allergies are one of the primary reasons I started using essential oils.

Allergies are huge in my house this time of year. I’ve been using the OnGuard oil in a diffuser at night, and it’s been helping us out a lot. What other oils do you use, Tedra?

Teresa, I’ve been playing around with various oils! This week I was having a sore throat, so I added a couple drops of lavender and lemon to a shot glass of water, gargled it as long as I could, then swallowed and it helped so much! I have four cats and am allergic to cat dander, so sometimes my allergies can be quite bad. So far, peppermint has been my favorite to clear up my sinuses. I usually just put a drop on my tongue, touch it to the roof of my mouth, and breathe in. I haven’t tried diffusing OnGuard, but I’m glad that it’s working well for you!

2. stacey fogoros says

I have fare-ups with arthritic knees. I’m wondering if the 3 essentials oils mentioned above might help with the swelling and pain. Thinking that the three essential oils in a base of coconut oil, would make a good rub and taking the capsules also. HMMM. Just a thought. Love this article and can’t wait to try it……….

Stacey, for flare-ups combine 2 drops ea. Lavender and Peppermint with some coconut oil and massage into painful knee joints, works beautifully for joint pain relief :)

• Rachel says

I have been using doTERRA essential oils for 2 years and suffer from arthritis. I have found GREAT success with taking LLV (Life Long Vitality vitamins) every day. For the pain, I would suggest Deep Blue. Also, have you heard of Candida? Candida is one of the main causes with inflammation in the body.
      Watch this youtube video on Candida. It will raise the eyebrows for sure.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSOpTGDq460 if that doesn’t work while you are in youtube, search 2012 09 19 10 50 Understanding Candida and Natural Approaches.

• Kristina Haney says

Rachel,

Hello, my name is Kristina. I am inflicted and currently feeling destroyed, thanks to an UGLY MONSTER named CANDIDA! When it comes to this horrible “infection”, doctors are CLUELESS! Therefore, I feel CLUELESS too! After reading your comment on One Good Thing From Jillee, it was as if I had just creaked open the cript to The Holy Grail. I sounds as if you may have a clue or two about Candida. I am DESPERATE! I am currently inflicted not only with this Candida thing, but also RSD/Fibromyalgia (diag. 2/4/91), Multiple Sclerosis (diag. 6/9/03), and Breast Cancer (diag. 4/10/11). All of which are auto immune diseases, all of which are inflamation involved. Can you PLEEEEEASE share any if not ALL the info you have regarding this monster currently invading and robbing me of my life? Please call, if long distance rates are an issue, I would be happy to call you back on my dime. My phone number is 480-200-7925, I live in Gilbert, Arizona, and again, my name is Kristina (43 yrs old, oops I should say 44 since my b-day is 1/23/69, LOL) single mother of a 18 year old son. I would be SOOOOOOO FOREVER grateful!!!

• Elizabeth says

Diatomaceous earth worked amazing for my husbands candida, you can buy it on Amazon but make sure to get the food grade. You can google it and read about all the things it helps with, it is like a clay that you put in water and drink. It is safe, even kids can take it.

• Elizabeth says

BTW, auto-immune diseases are caused by leaky-gut. Once you have it, you will continue to get more disease until you heal your leaky gut (as you well know, with all your diagnosis) Traditional doctors will not treat leaky gut so you may want to find a Naturopath or do your own research. There is a special diet you can follow (since leaky gut is caused but consuming foods you have a sensitivity to). I also have an auto-immune disease and have empowered myself by educating myself, and now I am feeling great. Good luck!

• Lyn Peterson says

Hi Kristina,

I left a message on your voice mail. I don’t know if you will receive this message by this method, but I want you to know that my heart goes out to you. I have previously suffered from all of your various diagnoses, and have thankfully been able to reverse all of these health issues through various natural therapies, including essential oils. (EOs is like “adding gunpowder to dynamite”) I recently read about a doctor who utililizes alternative medicine near you in Scottsdale, for your specific issues, so I will locate the document about him in my files…. and hopefully you will hear my message on your voice mail. (My brother lived in Gilbert, that is why I know that this doctor in Scottsdale is close to you) He has an excellent website which addresses Cancer, Candida, Fybromyalgia, etc. and it is so rare to find a doctor that actually understands how to treat these health conditions.

Hi Kristina,

It sounds like you are going through a tough time, and I hope by now you have been able to find some relief. I can’t help with all your distress, however I too have been afflicted by the demon candida for about 20 years, and have spent a lot of time and money trying to get rid of it. IMO candida is just about impossible to cure, but it can be controlled. There is new research being done all the time, and the thing I’ve found works best so far is probiotics, specifically the strains reuteri and rhamnosus. I make my own kefir, and add the probiotics to it while it cultures. I’ve also used the capsules as a vaginal suppository – it’s the only thing that works for me ‘down there’.

Treating candida is also a matter of lifestyle. It is critical that you avoid sugar, alcohol, fruits, and simple carbs like rice, pasta and bread. This is not easy – I crave sugar constantly, but if I can stay away from it and use the probiotics the difference is amazing.

Hope this helps. If you need more info please email me at neudorfshots@yahoo.ca.

Kathy

• TracI says

I was just diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. I’ve been trying to find an all natural way to heal my body. I will be trying these ideas, thank you

• Sue says

Gluten causes inflammation and it is in almost everything we ingest. When I went gluten free, my arthritis pain went away. I know of at least 10 other people who had the same success by going gluten free.

The vast majority of doctors know nothing about this, because the drug companies cannot make money by people changing their diets, and the drug companies write most of the textbooks that are used in medical schools.

• Lyn Peterson says

I developed severe arthritis in my neck and could never find a real solution, although essential oils did temporarily relieve the pain. This combination so far has worked the best: 50% PEPPERMINT OIL, 25% BALSAM FIR, 10% WINTERGREEN, 10% VETIVER. However, in the past few years I discovered ZEOLITE, which has produced an amazing improvement. [Google Arthritis & Zeolite] I was really taking this for removing toxins especially heavy metals, but the unexpected benefit was 90% pain relief in my neck which I had for over 30 years. I tried 5 different brands and the one that worked the best is ZMP 400, by Forever Green. It is a combination of Zeolite and Marine Phytoplankton.

I also developed arthritis in my knees 2 years ago, and I couldn’t figure out why the Zeolite didn’t fix that as it had with my neck. My knees started “clicking” and then I realized that the cartlidge has disintegrated. Searched online and found that cartlidge is made primarily of COLLAGEN, but it requires sufficient Vitamin C to create the collagen matrix. I found TwinLab LPP Liquid Collagen online for $10 bottle. I also use Alive Vitamin C complex made with organic plant sources (far superior to Ascorbic acid). Within a month the pain had dramatically improved, by taking this combination 3 times per day. After 6 months, no more “clicking” sound in my knees. When I stopped taking this after one year, within a few months the pain was returning so now I take it at least once per day and that does the trick. For the first few months I had to continually apply the Pain Formula (Essential Oils listed above), but once my knee cartlidge started re-generating, I didn’t have to use the oils as much. Although I have found that essential oils also work synergestically with anything else that is being used from the Natural Domain of God’s Creation.

3. Sabine says

This sounds great. I am having the same problems as you had. I will give it a try.
    I wonder if you will get your allergy problem back if you stop taking the oil???
    It would be interesting to learn about that.
    Keep my fingers crossed that you will be totally healed.
    Best wishes
    Sabine

4. Donna says

would this help with sinus allergies? I’ve been hammering Benadryl due to mold/ragweed issues.

Absolutely Donna! Give this protocol a try…take internally as Jillee did ~ only doTERRA though, as I can’t vouch for the purity of any other essential oil company. If used consistently during your bouts of allergy symptoms, I’m quite confident you’ll have relief :))

• D.mac says

Rebecca and Jillee-
        I see Jillee recommends Spark Naturals, but the photo shows doTerra and Rebecca you seem to be saying to only take doTerra internally. Is Spark Naturals okay to take internally??? There site is not user friendly and I would have liked to be able to actually read the info on the bottle to know for sure. My daughter is suffering from terrible allergies. We have done all the traditional medicines besides shots. I have tried everything natural I can think of as well. Honey, Eo’s toppically and diffused, humidifers. Nothing is helping in the slightest and now she seems to have allergy induced asthma. I want to move on and try the oils internally, but I am nervous! Are the Spark Naturals okay internally????
        Thanks for your help!

• Ky says

I would not take this brand of oils internally. If you go to young living’s website – their oils are safe to digest. Here are many videos you can watch to see their “seed to seal” promise. And no, I do not “sell” them. I am just concerned when people promote oils that are NOT pure.

5. Lani says

This sounds really interesting to a life-long allergy sufferer. Have you experienced any side effects from taking the oils internally? Any aftertaste? Glad that this is working for you so far! Please keep us updated.

• Rachel says

Lani, I have been using this protocol for 2 years as well as my brother who suffers terribly from allergies. I also give this to my kids when they are congested. No side effects with us. We have had nothing but good results.
      There is no after taste. Lavender gives it a different taste, but I have found that if I put the Lavender in first and then add the other oils, it masks the taste of the Lavender a little. My kids just chase it with some water.

• Alisha says

Thanks for all of this great information! My 7 year old daughter suffers from sinus allergies. I am looking for an alternative to over-the-counter antihistamines. I’ve just starting increasing the amount of Vitamin C, Flavonoids and Omega C in her diet and hope this helps as an ongoing preventive treatment. I’m also hoping to find a treatment that will provide some immediate relief. What internal dosage of the essential oils would you recommend for a 52 pound, otherwise healthy child? Would you recommend trying the foot rub technique for a child instead of taking the capsules? I’ve tried “consulting my (Kaiser) physician” but I’m not comfortable with where this has taken me. Thank you in advance for your help!

6. amy says

interesting. i don’t doubt that we’re nearly killing ourselves with all of the toxins around. i had a horrible outbreak of hives last month. i was covered in welps & felt like i had a sunburn. it lasted for days. i’m going to have to investigate this.

thanks!

I would love to try this with my 2 year old son (to rub it on his feet, he is to small for capsules). How much coconut oil and essential oils do you use for that?

Pure Lavender essential oil (plant essence, with no additives) has never been proven to have such ill side effects. Most Lavender essential oil bought from health food stores contain additives and indeed are NOT 100% pure as stated on the label. If your essential oil states “For External Use Only” you do not have pure plant essence and this oil has not undergone Mass Spectrometry or Gas Chromotography lab testing. Indeed, untested oils can contain pesticides and other toxins creating an opportunity for side effects.

That being said, Nelleke, I suggest 1 drop of ea oil with just a bit of coconut oil for spreading on both feet 2 to 3x daily.

• Ruthie in TN says

I’d like to try this for my son’s itchy skin as well. He’s 9, but small for his age, so I’m not comfortable with doing the oils internally for him just yet. But we have used pure essential oils with him in rubs successfully in the past.

Rebecca, do you know anything about how old / big kids need to be before considering them ready for the same strengths an adult can use? (Forgive me, Jillee, while I hijack your blog to talk to your sis :O) )

I’ve also used lavender in a diffuser for him (before I had the diffuser, I would pour boiling water into a bowl and add the lavender to that and let the steam carry it), especially to help with particularly hyper times (he has ADHD) and often to help with getting to sleep. He LOVES the scent of it and will often ask for it himself. We’ve been doing this for well over a year (not every single night; I’m not sure that’s good for anybody) and have not seen any weird effects from it.

• CTY says

Most times medication doses are based on age & body weight. When my son turned 12 I casually mentioned during his physical that now he could take the 12 & up dose listed on packages. The Dr recommended against that because his body size & weight hadn’t yet caught up with the growth chart. Well, he’s 23 now and still hasn’t caught up. He isn’t ill often (thankfully), but he still takes the child dose if he needs OTC help.

Ruthie, why don’t you try a small childs dose which would be 1 drop each of Lemon Lavender and Peppermint with a little carrier oils to help with coverage on the bottoms of both feet. Try this morning and night, but be consistent. A diffuser is lovely! If you’re diffusing pure essential oils into the air, both body and spirit benefit :))

I would be very cautious using peppermint on a two year old. Instead of peppermint you can use spiramint. Peppermint on children under the age of 3 can be too strong and close their throats. It’s not a case of a lack of purity but strength.

• Laura says

I have a son who is 7.5 and can’t handle it. He says it makes him feel like he can’t breathe. I have diluted it with olive oil and given him just a tiny bit on his tummy. He’s seems fine with that, just not a whole drop.

8. Crystal says

Sounds like the exact reaction my friend had to gluten intolerance. I know you bake gluten free a lot, but that’s for someone else? Just a thought, maybe get tested or eliminate it completely from your diet? Good luck!

9. katie e says

I will have to try this, I have all kinds of allergies. Can you use olive oil instead? And how many drops of Oils?

I would highly recommend giving this protocol a try Katie. Jillee takes 3 drops each of Peppermint, Lavender and Lemon in a capsule 3x daily.

If you’d rather apply topically, you can certainly use olive oil too!

10. Kelly says

I’ve been putting 1 drop each of Young Living’s Lavender, Peppermint & Lemon EOs under my tongue each night before bed. I hold it there as long as I can and then swallow with a glug of water. It’s not the best taste in the world, but I’ve gotten used to it. Anyway, it clears up my nasal passageways better than Benadryl ever could and I don’t have any awful side effects.

I have also used peppermint and lavender oils externally on my knee where I had developed a fluid capsule. I don’t know exactly what that is, but it hurt like crazy! A few days of this treatment, and the swelling receeded and took the pain along with it. I love Essential Oils!!

• Ana says

Young Living Oils are awesome!! My mom is OBSESSED! It can get annoying when you just sniffle once and she smears your face with some oil (regardless of you having makeup on), but I’ve learned to love and respect the oils. :)

Ana even though I’m a doTERRA user, I admire and respect anyone who investigates a more natural way to wellness! Too funny that your Mom is an enthusiastic oil user, sometimes we just can’t help ourselves ;)