Make Your Own Antibacterial Moisturizing Lotion

antibacterial lotionTis that time of year again when hands and feet take a BEATING!  Cold weather, forced air heating, constant washing of hands to combat cold and flu germs are doing a number on me!  Time to bring out the big guns in the fight against dry, cracked skin!

I have posted about this lotion before…but I think it’s worth doing so again because I just love the way it works and feels! Plus, it’s very inexpensive to make. This time I even decided to “kick it up a notch” by giving it an antibacterial edge with essential oil.

There are actually several essential oils with antibacterial properties (tea tree, lavender, and oregano to name a few)…but I decided to give eucalyptus a try. Laboratory studies have shown that eucalyptus oil contains substances that kill bacteria and some viruses and fungi. I also like the clean, fresh, invigorating scent of eucalyptus.

antibacterial lotion

To make the Moisturizing Lotion you will need:

16 ounces baby lotion (if you have an aversion to baby lotion, pick another lotion)
8 ounces coconut oil (solid form, not melted)
8 ounces vitamin E cream

Mix together with handheld mixer until it resembles icing. I store mine in 1/2 pint mason jars or small tupperware-like containers.

antibacterial lotion

To give your lotion an antibacterial edge, just add 10 drops of eucalyptus essential oil to 4 ounces of lotion. I filled the original 8 ounce Vitamin E Cream container and added 20 drops of eucalyptus essential oil.

antibacterial lotion

Now I can fight dry skin AND germs at the same time. :-)

antibacterial lotion

Share on Facebook190Tweet about this on Twitter10Pin on Pinterest5,192Google+3

Comments

1. Jeni Rose says

Jillee! This is awesome. I have learned so much about essential oils from your website, and the lotion you posted is so amazing that I gave it out for gifts for Christmas! I love the idea of adding the eucalyptus essential oil to make it antibacterial…I will be adding it to my next batch! Thanks for posting!!! Love your site sooooo much!

2. Carol Ann says

Jillee, Is there an added benefit of using “Extra Virgin” Coconut Oil? Just wondering. ALSO is ANY lotion ok or is Johnson’s better? Always trying to save money, but I would rather spend a little more and get the best product turnout! :-) Love your website!

3. Beth Key says

I love your website as well. I also follow you on Pinterest and have used so many of your tips and homemade “recipes” for lotion and laundry products. They are great! I have a daughter that is a cosmetologist. Since she has her hands in water so much, they get very dry and itchy. I made some of your lotion and gave to her and she loves it too! She went through it quickly and begged for more, so of course I was happy to whip up some more since its so easy. Thanks so much for sharing all your fabulous ideas with all of us!

4. Jessica says

I would completely skip the Johnson’s baby lotion all together and use something else. You can either use straight coconut oil and mix in your EO or use an organic, paraben- and alcohol-free (not to mention other nasty chemicals) lotion. Save money, yeah, I’m all for it. But keep yourself healthy at the same time.

5. Jen K. says

I like the Johnson’s naturals. The scent leaves a little something to be desired, but it doesn’t have any mineral oil in it.

6. April says

love this! going to make some my mom to cheer her up she down the cold everybody seems to have. Maybe the oils will help that too. and by the way love your nails in the photos!

7. Sarah Mc says

Okay, curiosity if too much for me, Jen K. Why no mineral oil? It inhibits fungi and bacteria, never spoils, and is an excellent occlusive barrier for someone who has to wash hands alot. I’d probably go for the full blown Vaseline via Equate brand to really up the water seal factor but now I’m wondering whats wrong with the stuff??? Yikes~

1. [...] In the northeastern United States, it’s barely safe to leave your house as there are so many germs. Everywhere. And of course the air is dry and cold, and hand sanitizers just make that worse. Thankfully Jillee, from One Good Thing, just reposted her moisturizing lotion tutorial and she kicked it up a notch by adding eucalyptus oil for its antibacterial qualities. Just what I needed to see! Get the tutorial here. [...]

2. [...] So, I’ve already made my own non-toxic Homemade Laundry Soap and Homemade Coconut Bodywash, homemade natural deodorant  toothpaste, washing my hair with baking soda and apple cider vinegar, and switched to a locally made bar soap with moisturizing ingredients from the Co-Op. My latest homemade venture is lotion and antibacterial lotion for the office. My concoctions are inspired from Go Hippie Chic’s coconut body butter and Jillee’s antibacterial moisturizing lotion. [...]