Make Your Own Antibacterial Moisturizing Lotion

antibacterial lotionTis that time of year again when hands and feet take a BEATING!  Cold weather, forced air heating, constant washing of hands to combat cold and flu germs are doing a number on me!  Time to bring out the big guns in the fight against dry, cracked skin!

I have posted about this lotion before…but I think it’s worth doing so again because I just love the way it works and feels! Plus, it’s very inexpensive to make. This time I even decided to “kick it up a notch” by giving it an antibacterial edge with essential oil.

There are actually several essential oils with antibacterial properties (tea tree, lavender, and oregano to name a few)…but I decided to give eucalyptus a try. Laboratory studies have shown that eucalyptus oil contains substances that kill bacteria and some viruses and fungi. I also like the clean, fresh, invigorating scent of eucalyptus.

antibacterial lotion

To make the Moisturizing Lotion you will need:

16 ounces baby lotion (if you have an aversion to baby lotion, pick another lotion)
8 ounces coconut oil (solid form, not melted)
8 ounces vitamin E cream

Mix together with handheld mixer until it resembles icing. I store mine in 1/2 pint mason jars or small tupperware-like containers.

antibacterial lotion

To give your lotion an antibacterial edge, just add 10 drops of eucalyptus essential oil to 4 ounces of lotion. I filled the original 8 ounce Vitamin E Cream container and added 20 drops of eucalyptus essential oil.

antibacterial lotion

Now I can fight dry skin AND germs at the same time. :-)

antibacterial lotion

Facebook190Twitter10Pinterest5115Google+3

Comments

1. Jeni Rose says

Jillee! This is awesome. I have learned so much about essential oils from your website, and the lotion you posted is so amazing that I gave it out for gifts for Christmas! I love the idea of adding the eucalyptus essential oil to make it antibacterial…I will be adding it to my next batch! Thanks for posting!!! Love your site sooooo much!

2. Carol Ann says

Jillee, Is there an added benefit of using “Extra Virgin” Coconut Oil? Just wondering. ALSO is ANY lotion ok or is Johnson’s better? Always trying to save money, but I would rather spend a little more and get the best product turnout! :-) Love your website!

• crazywoman/Billie says

I have been making a very similar lotion (or cream sometimes) for a couple of years now. I alway buy my ingredients (lotions/creams,,, not the coconut oil) at the dollar store. Works great.
        I may just have to take part of what I have made up, and add some Eucalyptus oil to it. (I have a few other antibiotic/healing oils, which I may experiment as well.) I’m very new to the Essential oils, so am just experimenting. Still learning!!!
        I do happen to have Eucalyptus oil on hand from making a healing salve.

• Rita says

This sight has reasonable prices and shipping and pure products from what I can tell. They also are glad to answer questions. I haven’t purchased anything from them in awhile because I got a lot the first time. It’s ingredientstodiefor.com.

Hope this helps someone reading this late.

3. Beth Key says

I love your website as well. I also follow you on Pinterest and have used so many of your tips and homemade “recipes” for lotion and laundry products. They are great! I have a daughter that is a cosmetologist. Since she has her hands in water so much, they get very dry and itchy. I made some of your lotion and gave to her and she loves it too! She went through it quickly and begged for more, so of course I was happy to whip up some more since its so easy. Thanks so much for sharing all your fabulous ideas with all of us!

4. Jessica says

I would completely skip the Johnson’s baby lotion all together and use something else. You can either use straight coconut oil and mix in your EO or use an organic, paraben- and alcohol-free (not to mention other nasty chemicals) lotion. Save money, yeah, I’m all for it. But keep yourself healthy at the same time.

5. Sarah Mc says

Okay, curiosity if too much for me, Jen K. Why no mineral oil? It inhibits fungi and bacteria, never spoils, and is an excellent occlusive barrier for someone who has to wash hands alot. I’d probably go for the full blown Vaseline via Equate brand to really up the water seal factor but now I’m wondering whats wrong with the stuff??? Yikes~

petroleum-based vs plant based is purely a preference. Pure petroleum jelly is proven not to clog pores + it’s hypoallergenic; it is recommended by dermatologists worldwide. I’m not sure how much impact it has on the environment since it’s a by-product in oil manufacturing. I’m not a dermatologist, but I think mineral oil or petroleum jelly is a barrier that keeps moisture from evaporating quickly, it doesn’t nourish the skin. Plant-based oils such as virgin coconut oil go in the skin to replenish moisture and nourish the skin. Not sure if this is true for all plant-based oils.
          As long as the product is hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic, I’m chill. But that’s just me.

6. Geneva Girl says

I made the body butter recipe that you posted on your site. It’s fabulous. Could I just add the eucalyptus oil instead of the other essential oils to make anti-bacterial body butter? I’d label it for hands only.

7. CTY says

Jillee,
    Not too long ago you posted ways to combat fatigue–peppermint was suggested as a pick me up. I think peppermint essential oil (instead of eucalyptus) would help get me through the dreary gray days of January . Also because of that conditioner with rosemary & mint (which is being discontinued) I am in love with that combination. I read that rosemary EO helps tone skin and heal dry skin. Together they would make a great 1,2 punch.

• Trish F says

You can use any EO or combination that you like & mix into this lotion. Most EO’s are anti-bacterial & anti-icrobial.
      As for the rosemary/mint conditioner – just add EO’s of Rosemary and the mint of your choice (I like spearmint)to an unscented or lightly scented conditioner until you get the scent (strenth) you like.

8. RL says

Don’t have vitamin E cream. How many drops (or ounces) of vitamin E oil can I use as a substitute? I assume the vitamin E is for preservation purposes and the cream itself isn’t essential for the recipe. Thanks a ton in advance for your response!

9. Kim says

I’ve been subscribed to your posts for about a month now…thank you for your cost-saving suggestions. For extra germ fighting you can also use the “Thieves” EO blend…. I found some on the Internet, and have been using it in my household cleaning. The particular blend that I purchased contains lemon, clove, eucalyptus, cinnamon, and rosemary…synergistic blend. But now my hands will be soft and germ-free thanks!

10. Julia says

Thank you so much Jill for this post. I am a massage therapist and I love aromatherapy. This recipe is just awesome and I can’t wait to make for personal use and clients. Where do you suggest looking for coconut oil (solid) & vitamin E? Thank you for your amazing blog, your posts are so inspirational and informative.
    Julia.

…I happened here via Pinterest and like this recipe with the exception of the Johnson’s Baby Lotion. I am with Sue up there, do you know of any natural face lotions or natural body lotions?

…Thank you!

…Blessings. :o)

• Rose says

Hi TJ,
        I’m planning on making this, but I agree about Johnson’s Baby Lotion. I’m planning on making a lotion to go with this recipe. But, if you are looking for some good natural face lotions, try an all natural lotion with Shea butter. But, avoid Burt’s Bee’s. I recently found out that they don’t tell you everything that’s in the lotion, and it’s really not all natural. Hope you find a good lotion for yourself!

My concern exactly! Not only baby lotion has the ingredients that Sue mentioned, it also has a a few parabens, a fragrance and Red 33 dye. I’m sure all the other ingredients are no picnic either. http://www.johnsonsbaby.com/products/johnsons-baby-lotion I didn’t even investigate the vitamine E cream but if they put nothing but BS in baby products what can we expect from everything else? I’m sure there are perfectly natural and harmless baby lotions and vitamin E creams out there (most likely if you can find them they’ll be pretty expensive though), but why would you want to add anything to them anyway? All the natural stuff and the essential oils are already in there – buy them and use them!
      Not to be the party pooper, I’m not here to nag, I’m here because a lot of Jillee’s posts ARE full of great information for people who want to live smart. But, to be honest, I can’t see the point of this lotion, sorry.

11. Comet says

Some one just told me that rubbing EUCALYPTUS OIL on the bottom of your FEET will help get rid of a cough! Hmmmm–feet ALWAYS need lotion right????

Also–the coconut oil I have (LuAna?) seems ALWAYS to be “hard” and flaky—I couldn’t imagine that I could mix it in something like this as-is; it would need to be softened somehow or I would end up with “chunks”. It melts fine in a pan the few times I have used if. It was like this in the very hot Upstate NY summer too strangely enough. Kept at room temp. Not AC house! Any body have any ideas on this? Never used this product before so have no clue how or why it reacts any which way.

• crazywoman/Billie says

Coconut oil tends to be hard at a lot of room temps. It has to be pretty warm for it to be soft or liquidy. You should warm it up (in a pan of hot water, or microwave it) to make it soft or liquid. Once added to the other ingredients, it will not be as hard as long as you mix it well. If the cream does get hard (it does tend to happen in my home), it will soften naturally when you start rubbing it on/in as Jennifer says in her reply. Just scrape some out, and rub. (But in this recipe, I really doubt it will get hard.) Again, soften it, and mix really well with the other ingredients before putting in jars for storage.

Thank you for the reply, I thought the best way would be maybe to find a different scented lotion and I found Baby Lotion with Lavender for nighttime use, I am going to try that next and see how it works :D
        Also I’ve really been wanting to start buying some essential oils and I am having a hard time deciding where to start. I’m mainly looking on Amazon.com what oils do you use most or would recommend most? You and your blog is what got me to finally start making all my own cleaning products and some beauty products, Love your blog!

• Trish F says

I buy a lot of my EO’s online at mountainroseherbs.com or newdirectionsaromatics.com, health food stores and if you have a Whole Foods or Sprouts (Sunflower Mkt) also carry EO’s

12. Saige says

This lotion looks amazing, and I was wondering if you could add some other oils or possibly scented cremes just so it smells as good as it works! Maybe you could possibly do a blog post on that, and give it a try for me, I’d love to see how it turns out!

13. Lisa says

Hi guys! I made this lotion up right before Christmas, but I am having some problems with it. The coconut oil is seperating from the rest of it. I did microwave the hard coconut oil for a few seconds so I could get it out of the container, but I thought it would harden right back up. Has anyone else experienced this? Was melting the problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

14. Shirley says

Just an FYI Johnson and Johnson now has a baby lotion that is vanilla and oatmeal so you don’t smell like a baby all day.

I make something like this but add vaseline, vit E, coconut oil and baby lotion. As a matter of fact I just made some this weekend but have half of it away to my son’s girlfriend. Never thought about oils will have to try it.

Wow you must be reading my “mind” mail. Just today I said I was going to wash my hands less and use anti-bacterial gel because my hands feel like cracked cement. This is right on time and to the rescue. Thanks.

16. Terri H says

LOVE LOVE LOVE this lotion…I followed to a T…minus the essential oils(I am shopping for the most economical) I used it and it is great..not too oily, it is just perfect. I even washed a few dishes with you dish liquid recipe for the soap of course and my hands still felt soft after. thanks for your ONE GOOD THING everyday!!! YOUR AWRESOME!!!!!!

17. Carolyn says

I just wanted to let you know that I made this hand cream and LOVED IT!!! So does my husband and mother n law.My skin is so soft and it appears to be a little water resistant. My husband bought the ingrediants and came home with walmart brand of the night time baby lotion. I believe it has lavender in it. It gives the cream a wonderful light fragrence. This whips up so light and fluffy and a little goes a very long way. I got five (5) 8 oz cantainers with this recipe.

Comment for crazywoman/Billie: I used the coconut oil as a solid and it only took a few minutes to mix it in with the rest of the ingredients. No lumps noted.

18. Lisa says

my husband works construction and his hands get so dry and cracked this time of year, does anyone know of a more “heavy duty” hand lotion that i could make for him? THANKS! great site have already used many of your recipes,and health “cures”

19. caw says

I had a hard time finding Coconut Oil also. I finally found it at Walmart in the cooking oil section. I found the Vitamin E cream in the lotions section. I have made this many times (Christmas gifts) with Vaseline, but am going to try it with Coconut Oil this time. I am sure I will love it as much as the other. THANKS Jillee,you are AWESOME!!!!!

20. Brandi says

Hi!

Most of the people in my family have a coconut allergy and it is so bad for some that if you are wearing something with coconut in it and you touch them they have a reaction. I was wondering, is there something I could use instead of the coconut oil?

Thanks!

21. Tuan says

I find that the easiest way for diy cream/lotion is to buy a base cream/lotion, usually from the same place you can buy your essential oils, etc. The base is usually not aromatic so you can customize it to your liking in terms of scent.

Then you can go from there and add your own mix of your choice of EO, various carrier oils, butters, etc.

The base cream/lotion will help with the texture that you many not be able to get if working from scratch.

On top of that, they most likely have some sort of preservative already so you don’t have to worry about that part neither.

Finally, avoid all citrus and a few other that are phototoxic. Make sure you research your Essential Oils.

Also note that different EO have different harshness to your skins.

22. Jo says

I just made the lotion with the coconut oil, vitamin E cream and baby lotion. I mixed it with my mixer but when I was putting it in the containers I noticed lumps of coconut oil. I rubbed some on my arms and it felt pretty grainy but it soaked into my skin and left it nice and soft. Did I not mix well enough or what? Thanks for your help. Love your web site.

23. Donna says

I have psoriasis and battle it even in the summer time so I mixed up a batch of this to try – will use hemp lotion next time as it has a lot of natural oils in it and smells totally different. But I love how this feels on my skin and that it isn’t greasy. I too, use coconut oil straight often, but mixing these items together enhances the effects. And will also be mixing up some for Christmas gifts. Now if I can just find some nice little jars… : )

24. donna says

After using this last night and again today, my skin is doing much better – not itching, and actually the psoriasis patches are trying to heal – that’s the power of coconut oil. The lotion and vitamin e give the oil some definite kick. I have decided to use this all up and go with hemp lotion, cocoa butter cream, vitamin e cream, and coconut oil. (I will split the cocoa butter cream and vitamin e cream to get my measurements right). I do have to keep this in the refrigerator, but it feels so good even cold. Thank you for a great recipe!

Love your blog! Subscribed :) I love essential oils, but do u think this mixture will harm me if I am pregnant? I get a lot of stress acne here and there, and I want a cream that is antibacterial. Please let me kknow your thought.

26. Patti says

Just made my first batch. I was a little disappointed that it has such an ‘oily feeling’ on my hands. But once the skin soaks it in after a few minutes, the greasy feeling disappears. I had a hard time finding Coconut Oil – had to order it online. I used the Dollar General brand of baby lotion because it did NOT want it to be pink or smell like baby lotion. My vitamin E I found at Dollar General as well.

27. Charlotte says

I have been using this for quite some time now, I actually started using it on my feet and elbows, then I graduated to using it all over. I love love love it!! Yeah it tends to feel oily for a bit but then it soaks in and leaves my skin so soft. I get compliments all the time on how soft my skin is. I love this and will continue to make it. I keep it in the fridge just because I love how its cool going on and then melts right in…just something I love to do, especially this past summer.

28. Melissa says

Question. I have Vit E oil not cream. Can I add more of something else to make it the right consistency? I have Burt’s Bee’s Baby lotion and the coconut oil, just not the cream. Thanks.,

1. [...] In the northeastern United States, it’s barely safe to leave your house as there are so many germs. Everywhere. And of course the air is dry and cold, and hand sanitizers just make that worse. Thankfully Jillee, from One Good Thing, just reposted her moisturizing lotion tutorial and she kicked it up a notch by adding eucalyptus oil for its antibacterial qualities. Just what I needed to see! Get the tutorial here. [...]

2. [...] So, I’ve already made my own non-toxic Homemade Laundry Soap and Homemade Coconut Bodywash, homemade natural deodorant  toothpaste, washing my hair with baking soda and apple cider vinegar, and switched to a locally made bar soap with moisturizing ingredients from the Co-Op. My latest homemade venture is lotion and antibacterial lotion for the office. My concoctions are inspired from Go Hippie Chic’s coconut body butter and Jillee’s antibacterial moisturizing lotion. [...]