Nicole’s One-Minute Eggs

nicoles eggs

Today I had one of those “Why didn’t I think of that!?!” moments.

I think I’ve shared before that we go through a LOT of eggs in this house. They are gluten-free, high in protein, can be cooked a zillion different ways, and we just really like the way they taste. No. 3 son has an egg sandwich every morning before school! And every morning I drag the cast iron skillet out (which is no easy task by the way! Those things weigh a TON!) to cook the “egg” part of the egg sandwich. So why in the world have I never thought to make the EGG part of his sandwich in the microwave? I have no answer for that.

I’m a bit embarrassed to even admit this, but it was quite the revelation today when my friend Nicole, over at the Small Fry Blog, shared her “recipe” for SUPER CINCHY microwave eggs with me. Sometimes the most obvious things just completely escape me. It’s actually quite frightening sometimes. lol.

At the risk of appearing completely cooking illiterate to you seasoned home chefs…I present to you Nicole’s “recipe” complete with the beautiful pictures she took! She’s the only person I know who can make microwave eggs look like art! ;-)

Nicole’s One-Minute Eggs

Step 1-crack 2 eggs into a microwave safe bowl. (make sure to pierce the yolks with a toothpick or a fork to prevent an “eggsplosion”)
Step 2-cover bowl with plastic wrap.
Step 3-microvave for 1 min 15 seconds (for two eggs).  add 15 seconds for each additional egg.
Step 4-carefully remove from microwave (bowl will be hot!), remove plastic wrap and fluff with fork.

Not only were these ridiculously easy to make…they were every bit as tasty as the kind I make on the stove. I ended up making 3 batches of eggs. One for me, one for the hubster, and another one for me. :-)  It just happened to be dinnertime and I just happened to be really hungry!

After those three batches I made a few tweaks to Nicole’s “recipe” and now I’m pretty sure these will become a go-to meal option around here.

• Instead of 1 minute 15 seconds…I did mine for one minute flat. I like them a TINY bit yolk-y. (Of course this time will vary based on the strength of your microwave.)
  • I salted and peppered the eggs before I put them in the microwave.
  • One batch I scrambled with a fork before cooking, but I think I’ll stick with the whole yolk version.
  • And finally, I added just a little bit of butter to the eggs when they came out of the microwave. It made them a little less dry and tasted a little more like my pan-fried eggs.

If you like POACHED eggs, you could add a little water and a splash of vinegar to the bowl and cook the same way.

Thank you Nicole for enlightening me today! And for making my blog pretty with your beautiful images.

easy eggs

OK….come on….someone please tell me I’m not the ONLY one who didn’t now about microwaving eggs!?  Please???   ;-)

Print Friendly
Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter10Pin on Pinterest493Google+0

Comments

1. stacey fogoros says

you got me ! I didn’t know either. Aren’t they rubbery ? If not, would be a fast, nutritious meal. LOVE EGGS….

• Angie says

NOPE – they were not rubbery as long as you don’t overcook them. My only problem is that I couldn’t get the yolk to cook to egg salad consistency without the white getting over-cooked. I might try adding water to aid in the cooking process.

Funny story: I made this for my kids the day I saw the recipe. They came bursting through the door at lunch time asking me the usual, “What’s for lunch?” I had JUST sat down to enjoy a delicious microwaved egg sandwich. When I told them they could split my egg sandwich, they asked, “What else is there?” My reply was, “Whatever you decide to make yourself.” When they realized their choice was an already hot, prepared sandwich or slaving over a butter knife and some bread they caved and split it. A literal minute later I turned to my daughter to ask how the sandwich tasted – it was already gone! I guess it wasn’t so bad after all…

You can scammble them just cut down on the time. Mix egg with fork, microwave for 30 sec.(we have 1200w) then fluff with fork and put back in for an additional 15 sec. Light and fluffy as they should be.

2. Shana Z. says

I have been microwaving eggs for years! I like using Southwestern egg beaters, with a little chopped deli ham or turkey mixed in. Maybe a little hot sauce or salsa too.

Another ‘weird’ egg recipe: Scramble eggs in a pan as usual, add salt and pepper and for every 2 eggs, one tablespoon of Mayonnaise. Serve hot on toasted bread for a creamy eggy sandwich (whole wheat is my fave, and butter the bread if you want to be really bad). I thought it was odd at first, but mayo is mostly eggs anyways, and it WORKS!

Mayo is mostly eggs when you make it at home. The stuff they sell in stores is a “mystery stew” I still can’t comprehend. Did you ever read mayo labels? Here’s a puzzle for you. The labels say – 0 g protein but the first thing in the list of ingredients is eggs. What do they really make it of? I still haven’t cracked that puzzle. Will be obliged if anyone could explain it to me. :)
      And yes, your recipe IS bad, home made mayo or not. :) On my list anyway – I’m a Paleo believer so for me grains and dairy (considering you meant real butter because the processed margarine is even worse) are evil. :)

• Laura says

That’s like cooking spray that is labeled “fat free” – it’s really nothing but fat, but a serving size is so small that it falls under the “less than .5 g = 0″ thing. That’s also how a lot of foods that contain hydrogenated oils are able to use the label 0g trans fat – as long as it’s less than .5 g per serving, no matter how small the serving size is.

• Angie says

Or regular peanut butter labeled zero trans-fat, yet one of the main ingredients is “partially hydrogenated” whatevers.

3. Joanne S says

Been making eggs in the microwave since the kids were little and my baby is now 22!

I’ve always added a splash of water or milk before putting them in the micro – makes them fluffier.

Add some spinach & feta and you have a yummy breakfast or snack!

4. cyndi9170 says

They actually make microwave safe dishes with a hinge on them for microwaving eggs. I use ours daily with two egg whites in each side with salsa or veggies. BTW I absolutely adore your blog!!!!!!!

5. Roberta Vecchio Calhoun says

I have been microwaving my eggs for over 25 years. Scramble the eggs, add a splash of milk, a pat of butter, salt, pepper to taste.

THIS IS THE KEY: Cook at 60% (NOT 100%) for 2 minutes, stir cook another 2 minutes at 60%, depending on how you like them cooked (I like my moist) and how many eggs you are cooking.

Please try the 60%. You will find them much moister. I learned this in a cookbook that came with the microwave. :O)

• Bea S. says

Your stove did not come with a cookbook? Sorry, but why would anyone take the microwave radiation hitting your body while you stand beside the microwave, and eat denaturalized food out of free will, just because you have bought the gadget to microwave stuff? I can simply not understand it, sorry. I cannot understand people proudly presenting how they are able to cook food with a microwave. Do you want to have your food prepared in the microwave when you go to a restaurant? You would get your food much faster, if everyone preparing food on commercial basis was just microwaving it. As you dont mind the quality of your food, but only seem to care about time, you deserve nothing but microwaved food when you go out and pay for it, too. Peace out!

• Robin W says

Um….Bea- This is a blog for easy tips and tricks.

Microwaves do not use NUCLEAR Radiation. You are not ACTUALLY “nuking your food”.

You are incorrect that microwaves are harmful. Microwaves just cook from the inside out because micro-waves don’t bounce off the edge of the food. Radiation is light. It can be visible light, or it can be invisible, depending on its wavelength. From largest to smallest wavelength, here are the types of light: radio – microwave – infrared – visible light – ultraviolet – x-ray – gamma ray. Radiation is only dangerous when it’s ultraviolet, x-ray, or gamma ray (in order of increasing energy).

Microwaving eggs is a great shortcut! Its also a handy way to get eggs the right shape to fit perfectly on an English muffin!

• tracy says

Bea~ That computer you’re sitting in front of is sending out all sorts of harmful rays. Better shut it down.

• Sandy says

My BIL is in restaurant sales. Unless it’s a condiment or cleaning substance, everything goes in the ‘wave after the restaurant buys it!

• Cassie says

Microwave ovens are shielded to keep the microwaves bouncing around inside and cooking the food; that’s why they have that mesh over the door window. You’re not getting cooked standing in your kitchen, trust me.

• Tracy says

LOL! I think its funny how cranky she is over how OTHER people prepare food. Make yours how you like and we will do the same. Oh and I have studied nutrition extensively at the college level and its denatured protein, NOT denaturalized, and ANY heat source will do that to protein, even boiling. So unless you are eating it raw, its not any healthier to boil it on the stove than it is to ‘nuke’ it with a little water. Great job on the tips here ladies and don’t let a troll ruin this thread.

• Sue says

Roberta, I have you beat. -:) I’ve been microwave cooking for over 30 years. First microwave was in 1977. Still alive and kicking and healthy as a horse per doctor.
      Unfortunately, my cheap-o apartment microwave cooks only on full power but you’re right – lower power yields better results.

• Jennifer T says

Why didn’t this occur to me before? :-) I never think about reducing the power on my microwave. I’ll give that a try because my eggs seem a little rubbery when I microwave them. Thanks for the tip!

• Autumn says

thanks for that! I’ve been microwaving eggs for years too but was always too impatient! Now that I’m home more I can try the 60% thing :) I really like moist eggs and I love a good egg sandwich w/ mayo :) ! but I think I may try the butter since I have finally found the real raw kind!

Jillee, I love the new look of your website, very sheik! Keep these things coming, I always learn something new :)

6. Bea S. says

I wonder why so many people just love to use the microwave to cook their food. Has none of you ever read up on how it changes the structure of your food in unhealthy for you ways? You are basically nuking your food, or what did you think is cooking those eggs without heat source…
    So you have to mix butter into the egg to make it somehow resemble pan-fried eggs in taste. I wonder what it is about saving time. Even boiling an egg will not kill anyone, and it is the healthiest option to prepare an egg and tastes just as well on sandwiches. And if you are so keen on saving time- you can boil a whole batch of eggs and keep them in the fridge for days and use them whenever needed. Time for preparation then: 2 seconds for taking it out of the fridge, 30 seconds for peeling and slicing it. There you have a winner.

• Misty says

I don’t really think you need to be so rude and insulting…if you don’t like the One Good Thing for today, you could just wait for tomorrow.

• Denise says

wow Bea did you forget to take your happy pill today? Geez you don’t need to attack people for using a microwave just because you have decided they are evil.

• Dianna A says

Bea, I am with you on this. I am sorry people are attacking you for your good intentions. I know this is a blog for easy tips and tricks and for those that are not concerned about their health, this trick might be great. But it isn’t the healthiest way to scramble an egg. I can scramble my egg in a pan in less than 2 minutes; it is quicker than the microwave and healthier too. Even healthier, as Bea point out, is a hard boiled egg (which can even be cooked in the oven). With education, each person can look at the +’s and -“s of each tip and trick and make their own decision about whether this is a good tip or trick for them. Thank you Bea for providing that education.

I also try to avoid the microwave because it makes me “real food” into something less real and less healthy. But I use it for convenience sake when I heat up leftovers. I also melt butter in it when a recipe calls for melted butter. I know it is bad for me but I do use it occasionally.

The way I make my eggs is in a cast iron skillet, with coconut oil. (coconut oil is SO good for you, speeds up your metabolism, provides nutrients and is a brain food). I try to get some coconut oil in my diet every day. Anyway, I heat up the pan with coconut oil in, crack two eggs in it, put some pink salt and a dash of pepper, and put everything away (The egg carton, the coconut oil — all except a dash which I leave on the spoon, to rub onto the cast iron pan when I am done with it, etc) then I start to scramble the eggs. I put them on my plate and quickly scrape out the cast iron pan while it is warm, not using soap, but a scrub brush. I rub it down with the coconut oil and put it on the counter to “dry” before putting it away.

It all takes less than 5 minutes for me to do this, from beginning to end. I even can get some toast out toasting while I do all this.

We are lucky — we get free eggs from our neighbor who raises chickens, so they are super healthy.

I need animal protein for breakfast or I feel yuck all day long. I do not like hard boiled eggs so I stick with scrambled or fried eggs. Yum!

Now I am hungry and I need to go eat :)

• Britt says

I didn’t really receive any sort of education. If your personal opinion is that microwaving food is unhealthy, then please do not use a microwave. There are people out there who believe that even cooking their food is unhealthy. Varying opinions do not mean that it is necessary to make negative statements on a blog that people come to enjoy. If you have scientifically based, peer-reviewed articles that will inform me that the microwave is less healthy than the stove, then please share, I’d love to read it to make a better informed decision on how I currently prepare foods.

• Angie says

Dianna – she was not being attacked for her “good intentions” she was being attacked because she was being rude. There is a nicer way to deliver her message.

I think when in doubt it is better to err on the side of what your gut tells you. I don’t trust “medical” science — because it is actually just “theory” — I recall when the doctors’ line of recommendation regarding taking a multi vitamin supplement was that there is absolutely no need… then they changed that line of “theory” and started recommending to their patients that they should be taking a multi-vitamin supplement. That one example sticks out in my head (I am in my 30s) because my dad would never take supplements because his doctor said they weren’t needed. Then, all of the sudden he started taking one because his doctor recommended it.

My gut tells me that my body is missing certain nutrients, no matter how well I eat. So I have searched and found a whole foods vitamin supplement that I feel comfortable with, and I take it. I rely on what my body tells me vs. what the medical community tells me, and I feel so much healthier for it. :)

• KD says

A theory in science is not a guess. In scientific terminology, “theory” means a logical, tested, well-supported explanation for a great variety of facts.

Sometimes people’s bodies tell them to eat things like dirt, cat litter, cigarette butts, etc. Doesn’t mean it’s good for you.

I think it’s great when people think for themselves, but fear-mongering hurts everyone. It doesn’t surprise me that your dad went from not needing a vitamin to needing one. As we age, or our habits change, our needs change.

Medical science changes all the time for a variety of reasons. New technology, new data, new studies, or results from long-term studies.

Anecdotes are not evidence.

• Ana says

I agree! I have a doctor who I love, but I am a big believer on going with my gut and trusting nature to heal and nurture me. I use the microwave maybe once or twice a week. I’m sure that won’t be a big hazard, and I’m glad it’s there for emergencies. Definitely don’t want to use it daily as this post suggests, especially not for eggs, but I’m always a happy reader of this blog and at least I was reminded that eggs are a good way to start my mornings. :)

• CTY says

The medical arena has also changed their standing about eating eggs. Not too long ago they were taboo–now they are viewed as a healthy protein. Guessing that’s why they call it medical “practice”.

7. Terri says

Jillee, I did know that people microwaved eggs, but honestly I didn’t think they would turn out decent. I assumed that they would be dry or rubbery. I’d rather cook them on the stove than end up with rubbery gunk. But, if you say they taste just fine, then I’ll try it next time.

8. Patty says

My daughter gave me this recipe and I love it. We call them Egg in a Mug. Use a coffee mug. I sometimes start with a slice of cooked bacon, crumbled in the mug (or raw) and microwave until done. Then I crack in my egg, add splash of milk, salt and pepper, scramble with a fork. Microwave on high for 1 min. Remove and stir, cook for short intervals until desired doneness. If not using bacon, try diced ham. Or no meat-I add a small pat of butter at the beginning after I scramble. These taste like stove cooked eggs. I also take to work for a quick breakfast. Just cover the mug with press and seal wrap, and wrap up in a towel to help keep the mug hot. So quick and easy.

9. Jennifer says

For fluffier eggs: scramble 1 egg in the mug add a tiny splash of milk (spray it first). Nuke it for 20 seconds, ptake it out move the cooked parts to the middle, nuke another 20 seconds, move cooked parts to the middle, and nuke 20 more seconds. Viola! Fluffy non rubbery eggs. And you only dirty 1 mug and 1 fork.

• FrugalFarmMom says

I use this method. Never rubbery when stirred a couple times with a dash of milk. I add a spoonful of salsa and throw it in a flour tortilla to take with me.

Just as yummy as McDonald’s burrito!