The Health and Beauty Benefits Of Clay

clay-1.22.13

Back in November I posted about The Ultimate Detox Bath. I decided to try it out after I read about how toxins can build up in your body over time and a detoxification bath could help alleviate uncomfortable symptoms of toxin overload.

One of the main ingredients in the Detox Bath recipe was bentonite clay…and ever since then I keep hearing more and more about the benefits of this ancient substance. And I mean ANCIENT!

Healing clay has been used for thousands of years! The first recorded use of medicinal clay occurred in 2500 B.C. in Mesopotamia!

Needless to say…after reading up on this stuff…I was intrigued!  And the more I read about it…the more intrigued I was. I mean something that is completely pure and natural (not to mention inexpensive) that can help alleviate so many different ailments?  Sign me up!

So WHAT IS bentonite clay and HOW does it work?

Bentonite clay is derived from deposits of weathered volcanic ash. It is one of the most effective natural intestinal detoxifying agents available and has been recognized as such for centuries by native peoples around the world.

bentonite clay

Technically, the clay first adsorbs toxins (heavy metals, free radicals, pesticides), attracting them to its extensive surface area where they adhere like flies to sticky paper; then it absorbs the toxins, taking them in the way a sponge mops up a kitchen counter mess.

There is also an electrical aspect to bentonite clay’s ability to bind and absorb toxins.  Bentonite clay has a negative electrical charge, attracting positively charged molecules. As most toxins are positively charged, clay naturally rids the body of toxins as it pulls and holds the toxins into its core.

The following are just some of the ways that clay is used both internally and externally:

bentonite clay

Soothing and Healing Skin

Hydrated clay can be applied externally as a poultice on cuts, bruises, insect bites, bee stings, boils, rashes, achy joints, acne, and burns. To apply a clay poultice, place a thick layer (¼ to 1 inch thick) over the affected area. Bentonite clay has tremendous drawing power, so it should be washed off before it dries completely– especially when used on burns or sensitive areas such as the face. If the area can be wrapped with cheese cloth or plastic wrap, the clay can be left on overnight without drying out.

To make a clay “gel”: mix approximately two parts water to one part dry clay to make a gel the consistency of mustard.

bentonite clay

Detoxification

Clay baths draw toxins from the skin and through the pores. To enjoy a full-body detox, add 1 to 2 cups of bentonite clay to your bath once a week and soak for 20 minutes. The remaining clay sediment can be safely washed down the drain.

If you don’t have a bathtub, a clay foot bath is another effective way to draw toxins out of the body. For a foot bath, add about 3 tablespoons of clay to a pot of water that is as warm as you can stand. Soak your feet for about 30 minutes.

bentonite clay

Digestive Benefits

Bentonite clay is also associated with aiding in constipation, bloating and gas. Other digestive bentonite benefit uses throughout history include treatment of dysentery and bacterial food poisoning, and acting as a laxative. Before using bentonite clay for the mentioned digestive benefits, consult your physician.

bentonite clay

For Beautiful Skin

Clay makes a fabulous facial mask, for shrinking pores, tightening and toning skin, removing impurities, sloughing off dead skin cells, and just making your skin look and feel great overall. It can also be used directly on pimples to reduce their size and inflammation and get rid of them faster.

Face Mask: For smooth and healthy skin, make a paste of bentonite and water and apply to face as a mask. Leave on for 20 minutes and wash off.

bentonite clay

For Oral Health

Because of it’s excellent ability to bind to heavy metals and toxins as well as to provide minerals, Bentonite Clay can be used as a tooth powder. It is tasteless and relatively textureless.

To whiten and remineralize teeth, use bentonite mixed with water as an alkalizing and toxin removing mouth rinse. Mix 1/2 teaspoon of clay in 1/4 cup water in a small jar with a plastic lid and shake well. Rinse with the water for 1-2 minutes and repeat until gone.

bentonite clay

For Mastitis
Make a poultice of bentonite clay and water and apply externally to the affected area. Repeat as needed every hour until the infection is gone.

For Baby Powder
Plain bentonite clay makes a very soothing baby powder for use when there is infection or redness. It can also be made into a clay “mask” to help speed recovery in this area.

For Morning Sickness
Take 1/2 tsp of bentonite clay in water during early pregnancy to ward off morning sickness. Check with your doctor or medical professional before using during pregnancy.

bentonite clay
For Pets

For pets that are sick, vomiting or showing signs of illness, you can add bentonite to their water or mix and give orally with a dropper or syringe without the needle.

Bentonite Clay

Now that you know how beneficial healing clay can be….I bet you’re ready to run out and get some! Not so fast. You’ll want to first make sure you’re getting a quality product…especially if you plan to take it internally. It just so happens that my little town is home to Redmond Clay, who markets an all-natural Utah bentonite clay used by the Fremont indians thousands of years ago. Redmond Clay is a completely natural bentonite clay, extracted from the earth and brought to you in its pure, natural state. I have personally tried their products and can confidently recommend them as a source.

CONTEST CLOSED

If you are interested in TRYING a few of their products….Redmond Clay has kindly offered to give One Good Thing By Jillee readers 15% off any order. Just use the coupon code “GoodThings” at checkout.

bentonite clay

PLUS…5 lucky readers will win a Spa Gift Pack valued at $30.00. (Includes: Redmond Clay Facial Mud, Redmond Bath Salt Plus, and Redmond Clay Powder, along with a premium, organic cotton washcloth.)

Just leave a comment below telling us YOUR FAVORITE HOME REMEDY to be entered to win.

With the growing concern about the dangers of traditional medicines, I’m pretty excited that the search for natural and safe alternatives has brought us back to this ancient healing substance!

Share on Facebook402Tweet about this on Twitter18Pin on Pinterest4,270Google+8

Comments

1. Muhajirah says

My favorite home remedy is to take vitamin c and drink ginger tea at the first sign of sickness. It really helps to boost my immune system and helps me to get back on my feet in no time.

• Shari says

I drink a cup (12 oz.) of tea made with a 2 tblsps. of Braggs Raw Unfiltered Vinigar, tbsp. of pure honey everyday. I read that is boosts your immune system and so far I haven’t even had a cold in years.

2. Jana Cowan says

One of my favorite home remedies is making homemade garlic oil to use for possible ear infections on my kiddos. The garlic is a natural anti fungal, anti viral, anti biotic. The warm oil is soothing, and it gets the job done!

• Ana Quintana says

My mother saved my cousin’s hearing this way. Yes, she dropped the garlic oil directly into her ear while she kicked and screamed, and to this day my cousin is so grateful for it! If I remember correctly, she had a bad infection in one ear that was going to require surgery with large possibilities of hearing loss. My mom also put the garlic oil in my nose (while I kicked and screamed but finally gave in when my brother joined me). She did it for sinuses (she cured her own this way). I’m still not a fan because it’s just awkward but man was it POWERFUL! My sinuses instantly felt the pressure and pain and then were greatly relieved. Anyway, garlic is awesome and super great for all infections/viruses and all of that.

• Ahnica T says

How did you get it in the nose? Do you have to tip your head upside down? Would this help with chronic sinus problems? I feel like I blow my nose several times everyday. My husband never has to blow his nose.

• Janet says

a runny nose is also a symptom of a food allergy or intolerance. have you considered taking the ELISA/ACT Blood Test For Delayed Allergic Reactions, its a simple blood draw. talk to your dr, or research it on line.

• Krists says

Just chop up garlic about 1/3 to 1/2 cup put a carrier oil over it cover all the garlic. I usually use an amber bottle to put in then set in a sunlight area for about 2 to 3 weeks the longer the garlic is in the oil the better. I use virgin organic olive oil. Then make sure to give the bottle a good shake everyday. After 2-3 weeks strain all garlic out and there you go garlic infused oil. This also helps children when they get sick rubs a few drops on the bottom of their feet then put socks over them. Gets the cold out!

3. Esther says

I’d say my homemade remedy for window cleaner is one cup water, one cup rubbing alcohol with 1-2 Tbl. ammonia in a spray bottle. We farm and so at harvest time, I carry a sprayer with this concoction on the truck with me at all times. It cleans up the windshield in a hurry.

4. Mary says

My fav is full fat milk baths for beautiful skin….plus, it’s a luxury ala Cleopatra that we modern women can enjoy :)

5. Emily B says

My favorite home remedy is adding a slice of lemon and a tablespoon of raw honey to hot water when somebody has a cold. The lemon has that extra punch of vitamin C and the honey soothes the throat as well as has antivirl and antibacterial properties.

6. Sharon says

I use a tooth powder that has bentonite clay in it. My teeth feel SO much cleaner than with toothpaste!

7. courtneyd says

my favorite home remedy is actually another bath soak, ive never tried clay baths. i take about a cup each of baking soda and Epsom salt, and about 1/3 cup of ground ginger, and a few drops of essential oils, lavender, eucalyptus, whatever im in the mood for that day.
    the ginger is supposed to help draw out toxins aswell. and it makes your body warm and tingly. its especially great right at the start of a cold.

• Cynthia says

Thanks for this one! Gonna have to try that. I’m feeling a little puny lately. Hopefully, this’ll give me a boost!

8. Jenny says

My favorite home remedy is to use onions for congestion. You take a white onion and pour sugar on it. Let the juices come out nd then use one teaspoon with honey.

• Debby says

You bring back so many memories…my grandmother did this as well! She called it ‘sweating onions’. Is that what you call it? She would cover the onions and sugar with plastic wrap and allow to ‘sweat’ overnight. In the morning, the cough concoction was ready!

9. Amy B. says

My favorite home remedy is taking high doses of Vitamin C at the first thought of a cold. So far this winter **knock on wood** we haven’t been sick. Love all your ideas! Thank you for all of them.

My home remedy is a tonic that I make using raw apple cider vinegar, shredded horseradish, garlic, ginger, onion, hot peppers. It has to set for 14 days and then you strain out the shredded stuff and use the vinegar. Works wonders when you are coming down with a cold or if you already have when, it shortens the duration.

1. […] The other mystery ingredient, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, turns out to be a surfactant added to many soaps and shampoos to aid in lathering. I didn’t really want to special order this stuff just to make some body wash, so I did a search for natural lathering agents. I found out that clay can also be used as a lathering agent in soaps, so I decided to incorporate some of the Bentonite clay I already had on hand into my “formula.” Not only does the clay lend a creamy texture to the body wash, it has TONS of other benefits as well, which you can read about in this previous post. […]