Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Health and Beauty Benefits Of Clay

clay-1.22.13

Back in November I posted about The Ultimate Detox Bath. I decided to try it out after I read about how toxins can build up in your body over time and a detoxification bath could help alleviate uncomfortable symptoms of toxin overload.

One of the main ingredients in the Detox Bath recipe was bentonite clay…and ever since then I keep hearing more and more about the benefits of this ancient substance. And I mean ANCIENT!

Healing clay has been used for thousands of years! The first recorded use of medicinal clay occurred in 2500 B.C. in Mesopotamia!

Needless to say…after reading up on this stuff…I was intrigued!  And the more I read about it…the more intrigued I was. I mean something that is completely pure and natural (not to mention inexpensive) that can help alleviate so many different ailments?  Sign me up!

So WHAT IS bentonite clay and HOW does it work?

Bentonite clay is derived from deposits of weathered volcanic ash. It is one of the most effective natural intestinal detoxifying agents available and has been recognized as such for centuries by native peoples around the world.

bentonite clay

Technically, the clay first adsorbs toxins (heavy metals, free radicals, pesticides), attracting them to its extensive surface area where they adhere like flies to sticky paper; then it absorbs the toxins, taking them in the way a sponge mops up a kitchen counter mess.

There is also an electrical aspect to bentonite clay’s ability to bind and absorb toxins.  Bentonite clay has a negative electrical charge, attracting positively charged molecules. As most toxins are positively charged, clay naturally rids the body of toxins as it pulls and holds the toxins into its core.

The following are just some of the ways that clay is used both internally and externally:

bentonite clay

Soothing and Healing Skin

Hydrated clay can be applied externally as a poultice on cuts, bruises, insect bites, bee stings, boils, rashes, achy joints, acne, and burns. To apply a clay poultice, place a thick layer (¼ to 1 inch thick) over the affected area. Bentonite clay has tremendous drawing power, so it should be washed off before it dries completely– especially when used on burns or sensitive areas such as the face. If the area can be wrapped with cheese cloth or plastic wrap, the clay can be left on overnight without drying out.

To make a clay “gel”: mix approximately two parts water to one part dry clay to make a gel the consistency of mustard.

bentonite clay

Detoxification

Clay baths draw toxins from the skin and through the pores. To enjoy a full-body detox, add 1 to 2 cups of bentonite clay to your bath once a week and soak for 20 minutes. The remaining clay sediment can be safely washed down the drain.

If you don’t have a bathtub, a clay foot bath is another effective way to draw toxins out of the body. For a foot bath, add about 3 tablespoons of clay to a pot of water that is as warm as you can stand. Soak your feet for about 30 minutes.

bentonite clay

Digestive Benefits

Bentonite clay is also associated with aiding in constipation, bloating and gas. Other digestive bentonite benefit uses throughout history include treatment of dysentery and bacterial food poisoning, and acting as a laxative. Before using bentonite clay for the mentioned digestive benefits, consult your physician.

bentonite clay

For Beautiful Skin

Clay makes a fabulous facial mask, for shrinking pores, tightening and toning skin, removing impurities, sloughing off dead skin cells, and just making your skin look and feel great overall. It can also be used directly on pimples to reduce their size and inflammation and get rid of them faster.

Face Mask: For smooth and healthy skin, make a paste of bentonite and water and apply to face as a mask. Leave on for 20 minutes and wash off.

bentonite clay

For Oral Health

Because of it’s excellent ability to bind to heavy metals and toxins as well as to provide minerals, Bentonite Clay can be used as a tooth powder. It is tasteless and relatively textureless.

To whiten and remineralize teeth, use bentonite mixed with water as an alkalizing and toxin removing mouth rinse. Mix 1/2 teaspoon of clay in 1/4 cup water in a small jar with a plastic lid and shake well. Rinse with the water for 1-2 minutes and repeat until gone.

bentonite clay

For Mastitis
Make a poultice of bentonite clay and water and apply externally to the affected area. Repeat as needed every hour until the infection is gone.

For Baby Powder
Plain bentonite clay makes a very soothing baby powder for use when there is infection or redness. It can also be made into a clay “mask” to help speed recovery in this area.

For Morning Sickness
Take 1/2 tsp of bentonite clay in water during early pregnancy to ward off morning sickness. Check with your doctor or medical professional before using during pregnancy.

bentonite clay
For Pets

For pets that are sick, vomiting or showing signs of illness, you can add bentonite to their water or mix and give orally with a dropper or syringe without the needle.

Bentonite Clay

Now that you know how beneficial healing clay can be….I bet you’re ready to run out and get some! Not so fast. You’ll want to first make sure you’re getting a quality product…especially if you plan to take it internally. It just so happens that my little town is home to Redmond Clay, who markets an all-natural Utah bentonite clay used by the Fremont indians thousands of years ago. Redmond Clay is a completely natural bentonite clay, extracted from the earth and brought to you in its pure, natural state. I have personally tried their products and can confidently recommend them as a source.

CONTEST CLOSED

If you are interested in TRYING a few of their products….Redmond Clay has kindly offered to give One Good Thing By Jillee readers 15% off any order. Just use the coupon code “GoodThings” at checkout.

bentonite clay

PLUS…5 lucky readers will win a Spa Gift Pack valued at $30.00. (Includes: Redmond Clay Facial Mud, Redmond Bath Salt Plus, and Redmond Clay Powder, along with a premium, organic cotton washcloth.)

Just leave a comment below telling us YOUR FAVORITE HOME REMEDY to be entered to win.

With the growing concern about the dangers of traditional medicines, I’m pretty excited that the search for natural and safe alternatives has brought us back to this ancient healing substance!

Never miss a good thing!
Receive a daily dose of Jillee + bonus newsletters.

686 thoughts on “The Health and Beauty Benefits Of Clay

1. Muhajirah

My favorite home remedy is to take vitamin c and drink ginger tea at the first sign of sickness. It really helps to boost my immune system and helps me to get back on my feet in no time.

1. Shari

I drink a cup (12 oz.) of tea made with a 2 tblsps. of Braggs Raw Unfiltered Vinigar, tbsp. of pure honey everyday. I read that is boosts your immune system and so far I haven’t even had a cold in years.

2. Jana Cowan

One of my favorite home remedies is making homemade garlic oil to use for possible ear infections on my kiddos. The garlic is a natural anti fungal, anti viral, anti biotic. The warm oil is soothing, and it gets the job done!

1. Ana Quintana

My mother saved my cousin’s hearing this way. Yes, she dropped the garlic oil directly into her ear while she kicked and screamed, and to this day my cousin is so grateful for it! If I remember correctly, she had a bad infection in one ear that was going to require surgery with large possibilities of hearing loss. My mom also put the garlic oil in my nose (while I kicked and screamed but finally gave in when my brother joined me). She did it for sinuses (she cured her own this way). I’m still not a fan because it’s just awkward but man was it POWERFUL! My sinuses instantly felt the pressure and pain and then were greatly relieved. Anyway, garlic is awesome and super great for all infections/viruses and all of that.

1. Ahnica T

How did you get it in the nose? Do you have to tip your head upside down? Would this help with chronic sinus problems? I feel like I blow my nose several times everyday. My husband never has to blow his nose.

1. Janet

a runny nose is also a symptom of a food allergy or intolerance. have you considered taking the ELISA/ACT Blood Test For Delayed Allergic Reactions, its a simple blood draw. talk to your dr, or research it on line.

1. Krists

Just chop up garlic about 1/3 to 1/2 cup put a carrier oil over it cover all the garlic. I usually use an amber bottle to put in then set in a sunlight area for about 2 to 3 weeks the longer the garlic is in the oil the better. I use virgin organic olive oil. Then make sure to give the bottle a good shake everyday. After 2-3 weeks strain all garlic out and there you go garlic infused oil. This also helps children when they get sick rubs a few drops on the bottom of their feet then put socks over them. Gets the cold out!

3. Esther

I’d say my homemade remedy for window cleaner is one cup water, one cup rubbing alcohol with 1-2 Tbl. ammonia in a spray bottle. We farm and so at harvest time, I carry a sprayer with this concoction on the truck with me at all times. It cleans up the windshield in a hurry.

4. Emily B

My favorite home remedy is adding a slice of lemon and a tablespoon of raw honey to hot water when somebody has a cold. The lemon has that extra punch of vitamin C and the honey soothes the throat as well as has antivirl and antibacterial properties.

5. courtneyd

my favorite home remedy is actually another bath soak, ive never tried clay baths. i take about a cup each of baking soda and Epsom salt, and about 1/3 cup of ground ginger, and a few drops of essential oils, lavender, eucalyptus, whatever im in the mood for that day.
    the ginger is supposed to help draw out toxins aswell. and it makes your body warm and tingly. its especially great right at the start of a cold.

6. Jenny

My favorite home remedy is to use onions for congestion. You take a white onion and pour sugar on it. Let the juices come out nd then use one teaspoon with honey.

1. Debby

You bring back so many memories…my grandmother did this as well! She called it ‘sweating onions’. Is that what you call it? She would cover the onions and sugar with plastic wrap and allow to ‘sweat’ overnight. In the morning, the cough concoction was ready!

7. Amy B.

My favorite home remedy is taking high doses of Vitamin C at the first thought of a cold. So far this winter **knock on wood** we haven’t been sick. Love all your ideas! Thank you for all of them.

8. Cecelia Slosser

My home remedy is a tonic that I make using raw apple cider vinegar, shredded horseradish, garlic, ginger, onion, hot peppers. It has to set for 14 days and then you strain out the shredded stuff and use the vinegar. Works wonders when you are coming down with a cold or if you already have when, it shortens the duration.

9. betsy

My favorite remedy, or prevention of illness, is drinking organic raw apple cider vinegar with organic raw honey mixed in water daily. I have been free from getting the flu so far this year and feel great! I used about 2-4 TBSP of the APC to 1-2 TBSP of honey in about 32 oz of water. I think it tastes fantastic as well! Just like the clay, there are many other uses for the APC! Time to get back to the basics of what was put on our planet for us!!!

10. Angelique Bertram

My favorite home remedy is chicken soup. When ever we are suffering from a cold I make a big batch of chicken soup with lots of vegetables, especially garlic and fresh ginger. The ginger really helps clear out the sinuses and many of the other ingredients have their own healing benefits.

11. Velvet Duck

My favourite home remedy is salvia and honey tea from fresh leaves. It is the best against a sore throat. I take it everytime I feel a cold coming up.

12. Victoria

Favorite home remedy is apple cider vinegar. I have not had a cold or allergy attack since I started taking it at the end of the summer. This was the first year in my life that I did not suffer through fall allergy season!

1. Jacalyn

Do you mix this or just apply a few drops of the oils? I have used lavender sachet type heating pad for h/a without much relief. I received a small bottle of lavender oil for a Christmas gift. I have h/a, some migraines

13. Tina

My favorite way to use bentonite clay is as a “hand mask” for my mother and grandfather. They both have pretty serious arthritis and we are constantly looking for things to relieve some of the pain and stiffness, even temporarily. I make a mask-using the same formula as a face mask except I add a little vegetable glycerin to keep it from drying so quickly and massage it gently into their hands. Sometimes I add a little lavender when I think about it. They both love it!

1. Beth J

Going to try this TODAY. Thanks Tina I love to knit and many other things I have terrible arthritis in my hands I try mind over matter but this sounds so much better

1. Kattrinka

Another good hand arthritis soother is one of those wax melters like; Dr. Scholl’s Quick Heat Paraffin Spa Bath. Oh my goodness it is so wonderfuly soothing.

14. Deborah

My favorite home remedy is new to me – thanks to pinterest! it may not be a health remedy but it is a home one. It is mixing dawn and vinegar together and cleaning your bathroom with it! So cheap and easy!

1. Janet

I tried this just a few days ago. I was amazed at how easily and thoroughly it cleaned my tub and glass shower doors. It evev got rid of the persistant rust mark under the faucet.

DH was thrilled with how clean and clear his shaving mirror is now! It’s still clean even though he leaves it in the shower every day!

15. Janet

I make a throat and chest rub with drops of eucalyptus, peppermint, tea tree, orange, lemon oils in a base of olive oil. I’ll place it under my nose when stuffy, or rub it on my throat, chest and back when I have a cold.

16. Dee Dee

My favorite home remedy is nature’s neosporin! Have a cut, scrape, or burn? A little raw honey with a drop of lavender EO and a bandaid. Pain is gone and heals in a flash!

17. Carolyn G :)

I’ve recently started mixing about a teaspoon of coconut oil with about a teaspoon of baking soda to brush my teeth. It sounds gross but it really cleans my teeth and make my mouth fresh.

18. katie e

My favorite home remedy is when the sinus junk hits us to smother vicks rub ( homemade or store bought ) on the bottom of my feet at night and cover with cotton socks, sounds weird but boy does it work wonders. Stops all of my coughing and I always feel much better in the morning.

19. carmen

I use Grapeseed Oil as a moisturizer. I’ve seen too many reports about absorbing chemicals used in traditional face and body lotions. I’ve also found that using handcrafted soaps (not the melt and pour stuff) reduces the need for moisturizers even in the dry winter months.

1. Fritzie

I use Grapeseed oil too. I have oil prone skin, but I find this oil helps my skin. It’s light, soaks in quickly, natural, and I find my T-zone less problematic. My other favorite home remedies is using coconut oil as a hair serum or as a deep conditioner for my dry coarse hair. I just tried honey with a little bit of water for pink eye. Works just was well as prescription meds but cheaper and natural. Stings at first but then quickly goes away and it doesn’t effect your vision. I heard adding raw milk helps too and it takes the sting away. I hope I never have pink eye again but if I do I’ll try it with the honey mixture. I did a lot of research on this and saw a documentary on doctors in India using it for their patients so I thought I’d give it a try.

20. Karen Yott

My favorite home remedy is coconut oil – I use it for everything! I love to melt it and mix it with lavender and Frankincense. I use it on my face for moisturizing, to deter wrinkles, soften my lips, on my feet and neck for calming. It’s great! Thanks!

1. AlohaGrama

Coconut oil also has amazing antibacterial, anti fungal properties. Put it on cuts, scrapes and infections. Also to clear out stuffy sinuses, rinse your mouth with it for several minutes. It’s called “oil pulling”.
      Coconut oil can be used on your hair too.

21. Bree

Not really sure if it counts as a home remedy, but I use witch hazel for a face cleanser and toner.

I am such a product junkie. But before I become concerned (or overly attentive) with my skin, it was fine and clear. Now though, since I’ve taken more time with my skin and used more products on it, it seems to hate me more and more. And instead of looking better because of all the products it looks so much worse.

So I’ve dropped pretty much everything except for using the witch hazel morning and night and trying hard to find/use all natural products. Of course, along with getting more sleep, taking my vitamins, and drinking tons of water. :)

22. Autumn

I bought some clay back when you posted about the detox bath. I used it in the bath and also mixed it with some melaluca and applied to my face as a mask. It’s soooo smooth and soft! I haven’t been brave enough yet to take it internally but I will sooner or later!

1. Monika

I also bought the clay after reading about the detox bath. I read about the benefits of the clay and began drinking it daily. Wow! What a difference it has made in how I feel daily. I highly recommend drinking it. I mix about a tablespoon in 8-12 oz of water at night before bed and let it sit overnight. I stir and drink in the morning. The clay absorbs the water and it just dissolves. It’s tasteless and odorless. If your concerned with digestive issues start with a smaller quantity. Drink lots of water daily as you should regardless of drinking clay water. That detox bath post changed my life and I’m a believer!!

23. Kelly

At the first sign of a cold, one (emphasis on the word “one”!) of the things that I start are steams with essential oils. The steams with a combination of a few drops each of essential eucalyptus and tea tree oils really help keep any congestion or drainage out of my chest and clear out my head. I haven’t had to use my asthma meds since I’ve started doing this, and I hate the way they make me feel (I don’t have terrible asthma, though).

24. Tracy Martin

My favorite: using tree tea oil to clean my home. A few drops in warm water goes along way. I mix up a spray bottle as well and spray it in the air. I put a few drops in my nasal sinus rinse, there are countless ways to use the stuff!

25. Jennifer

I bought the clay and started research right after you posted in Nov. I have Crohn’s disease and in the few weeks I have been taking it, it has made a trmendous different to my digestive issues. Also, clay makes a fantastic paste for diaper rash.

26. Danette

Our kids and grandkids were visiting our farm over the holidays and our grandson had a lingering cough, the kind that once he got started, it was hard to stop. The cough medicine they brought worked, but they ran out the night before the long drive home. I gave him a cup of green tea with a tablespoon of local raw honey and it really seemed to help, so I gave him another dose before they left in the morning. So glad I remembered pinning that simple recipe!

27. Laurie S

My home remedy is Ginger ale when I’m feeling bad, honey and lemon in hot tea for sore throats.

I also bought some clay when you mentioned it before. Love it!
    Thanks Autumn for the tip about adding Melaleuca, I will be trying that also.

Thanks Jillee for the list of uses and turning me on to this.

28. Joyce

Best rememdy for boils: 1tsp tumeric in glass of tomato juice or water (once or twice a day) problem clears up by 2nd day. Clay can also be used as a hair wash (2 Tablespoons clay, 1/2 warmed aloe vera juice, 1 Tablespoon melted coconut oil) leave on hair approx. 15 minutes, rinse and condition as normal. Very good for hair and scalp.

29. Michele Glatt

I’ve tried this clay. Thanks for the link! My favorite home remedy for Leg cramps or tired muscles. Epsom Salt Bath with EO; 1 dropper lavendar, 20 drops margoram, 15 drops grapefruit, 10 lemon, 15 basil, 10 sage, 20 rosemary.
    Mix in jar w/ 1 cup epsom salt
    add carrier oil to your liking. ( This recipe was shared with me and I think it’s a bit too strong. I just add more Epsom Salt.) I wonder what your sisters would think about the ratio?

30. Cynthia

Thanks Jillee for this post. I’m going to have to try some clay as a digestive aid.

My favorite home remedy has been replacing my shampoo with a baking soda and honey mixture, and my conditioner with apple cider vinegar and honey. (both mixed with water, of course). My hair gets just as clean as it ever did with regular shampoo, it’s WAY softer, and I feel so good knowing what is going on my scalp, and not pouring a bunch of unknown chemicals on my head.

31. Amy

Steep ginger root in filtered water for 20 minutes, add juice from organic lemons, and some local honey. Serve hot or over ice. Helps my husband’s chest colds!