How To Make Your Own Bleach Gel Pen

bleach pen 7

I have been trying to figure out a way to make my own DIY bleach pen for MONTHS, but to no avail.  So when I saw this idea from Debbie at Me And My DIY I couldn’t wait to give it a try!

I don’t regularly purchase bleach pens because, quite frankly, I don’t think they are worth the price. But there are occasions when would one would come in handy. For stains on clothing, for ring around the collar, for cleaning grout, even for CRAFTING! So being able to make a do-it-yourself version that costs literally PENNIES is pretty exciting. :-)

Here is how it’s done:

In a saucepan, add 2 Tablespoons of cornstarch to a cup of water. Stir until completely dissolved. Place mixture on stove and continue stirring until it comes to a boil and then turn the stove off. The mixture will become quite thick.

bleach pen 4

Allow mixture to COOL COMPLETELY…then add 5 to 6 Tablespoons of bleach. It should result in a nice gel, like the one you can see in this picture below.

bleach pen 5

If yours is thicker or thinner…just adjust water and/or cornstarch until you achieve the result you are looking for.

Pour mixture into an empty squeeze bottle for dispensing.

bleach pen

I haven’t actually added up the savings from this….but I’m betting someone far better at math than I will clue us in. :-)

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter0Pin on Pinterest0Google+33

Comments

1. Nicki says

Can you make this with your laundry britener instead of bleach? I’d like to be able to use it on clothing spots but don’t want to use bleach on them.

• Barbara says

Beauty supply stores have expensive ones. Wal-Mart has much, much cheaper ones.

2. Deborah Jennings says

Thank you Jill! Now to figure out how to make something like the Tide Pen! Great for travel! I do love to make my own products, AND to save money!

• Mindy says

Couldn’t you make a small batch of the liquid laundry soap and put it in the squeeze bottle (or a travel bottle)? I’ve seen the Tide pens, but never bought them, so I’m not overly familiar with them, but I would think it would be the same concept. The liquid laundry soap is pretty thick when it cools and before you add the water. Just a thought…

I have gotten so much truly useful info! ! I can’t thank you enough for all your time and effort . I admire your creative abilities! Thank you so much.

You are really so helpful. You have so many amazing ideas!!! We live outside of the US so there are sooooo many thing I can’t buy. This was something I left in the US and I was so bummed. Your timing is perfect.
    I really want to make my own laundry soap and I can bake the baking soda, and I brought in some Ivory soap – but I can’t get Borax here! Any suggestions? It’s gonna be a whole new recipe :)

• Amy says

Try soap.com or alice.com for the borax and washing soda. I’m not sure if they ship outside of the U.S. or not, but it would be worth a look.

• Becky says

I live in the UK and real borax is hard to find. I can find the borax alternative in stores, but I can’t find real borax. Except on Amazon. I don’t know where you are, but Amazon might be your savior on this one!

Jill, this is great! Been wanting to use a bleach pen to play on fabric and just didn’t want to spend the money. Can’t wait to try. Thanks.

6. LauraSC says

This is a great idea because you can have whatever ‘strength’ bleach pen you need. Another idea for a bleach pen is to use gel dishwasher detergent in your pen. I do love my Tide to Go pen because I am messy when I eat when I am away from home too.

7. Sharon says

I have returned to making some of my products since I found your site. I am allergic to a lot of the store bought stuff with all the chemicals. Now, if you could only find a cheaper and better, low dust, odor control DIY cat litter!

• Rhonda says

We purchase from BLUE (brand) a low dust natural cat litter made from…black walnut shells. It clumps better than previous litter, and can be flushed although we have multiple cats, so we don’t ususally. It also works better with the odor control, which is why we will continue to use it even if it does cost a bit more. Good Luck!