Make Your Own Homemade Honey Mint Mouthwash

Honey Mint Mouthwash

This past week I have been fighting an annoying canker sore in my mouth. I remember growing up my Mom would have us gargle with warm, salt water when we got canker sores (or sore throats), but with alI the wonderful essential oils available today, I decided to do some research into homemade mouthwash/gargle options. By making your own mouthwash, not only can you to fight canker sores, but also bad breath!

There are many different ingredient options for making your own mouthwash including:  fresh herbs, essential oils, vodka, witch hazel, hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, raw honey, stevia, xylitol, apple cider vinegar, glycerin, salt, etc.

I looked at a lot of different recipes and then decided to come up with my own that included some of my favorite flavors and offered the healing properties I was looking for.

Honey Mint Mouthwash

Honey Mint Mouthwash

Honey Mint Mouthwash

Mix all ingredients together. Swish this in your mouth for 30 to 60 seconds and rinse. Be sure not to swallow! It’s pleasant, but strong! Best kept in a sealed glass bottle or jar.

I love honey and lemon together but I wanted my mouthwash to have a “minty-ness” to it too. The baking soda acts as a rinse and a cleanser, neutralizes the production of acid in the mouth and also acts as an antiseptic to help prevent infections occurring. Tea tree oil has antiseptic, antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties.

After my first use, the saltiness of the baking soda and the strong taste of the melaleuca were a bit strong, so I added one packet of stevia sweetener, and it was just right!

Honey Mint Mouthwash

The amount this recipe makes should last about a week, no refrigeration needed. I loved the way it made my mouth feel so clean! And after only a few applications my canker sore is already much improved.

Honey Mint Mouthwash

TIP: When using homemade mouthwash, it is important to shake your mouthwash well every time before using to mix the ingredients as the ingredients may have settled or the essential oils have collected at the top.

Share on Facebook415Tweet about this on Twitter19Pin on Pinterest4,565Google+9

Comments

• Heather says

not always true…the local market I get my raw honey from – they package in what you say ‘cute little bear jars’

I just want others to be sure that instead of judging by the bottle – just read the label! it should say ‘Raw Honey’

1. Kati says

What a great idea! I look forward to trying this out and perhaps develop my own recipe. Thank you so much! You always have such wonderful recipes and ideas.

• Kae says

When I have flare ups with sore gums, I use a cap full of hydrogen peroxide and hold it in my mouth as long as I can. DO NOT SWALLOW IT! Swish well with tepid water afterward. After 2-3 days, my issue is usually resolved.

• Karen says

It should help. I’ve used honey for gum swelling and it works pretty well, as it posesses antimicrobial & anti-inflammatory properties.

2. shori says

thank you for this great idea! I really hate getting canker sores. I wanted to suggest try switching your toothpaste if you are prone to canker sores. I used to get a lot, sometimes two or three at a time but after switching my toothpaste to ones that are sodium lauryl sulfate(SLS) free, I hardly get any. changed my life! the best one I tried, and I’ve tried almost every kind, is Burt’s Bees. All of their toothpastes are SLS-Free and you can find it at Whole Foods. I’m so glad I found your site. So many great recipes and ideas!!

I make my own toothpaste: mix 3 tbsp coconut oil, 4tbsp of baking powder, 20-25 drops of peppermint oil (and optionally 3-6 packs of stevia) – I love it, much prefer it to store bought toothpaste. It leaves my teeth and mouth feeling super healthy. You can also pull with oil to clear any infections in your mouth.

• Betty says

Why baking powder and not Baking Soda? I am looking forward to making my own toothpaste. Thank you for posting this option
        Betty

• Angie says

I would be careful with how much baking soda you are brushing your teeth with. It is an abrasive and can wear down your enamel.

• Jamie says

That’s an old wives tale. Baking soda is the least abrasive (7) on a list of abrasiveness that I found on a dental site. Toothpaste is far worse…even Tom’s of Maine. Many toothpastes are over 70 and the list goes up to 200. There is a name for this list but I cannot remember it. If I can find that link I’ll post it.

So anyone that makes their own toothpaste using baking soda…don’t worry. Most store bought stuff is way worse.

• Gail K. says

Thank you Jamie. that was very interesting reading. I was always told that Bi-Carb was to harsh for the teeth. This proves it wrong. Will use it more often now…
        Regards
        Gail. Australia….

• Gail K. says

Oil Pulling is the best thing you can do for your mouth, and the whole body. Just Google Oil Pulling Therapy.
        I kills ALL bacteria in the mouth. Whitens teeth in about two weeks. Heals gum disease. And from there, it heals soooo much in the whole body. Since doing it everyday. I have never had hay fever. And I use to suffer from it a lot. I have never had lower back pain. My headaches have decreased by about 90%. My dentist bill have decreased a lot to. On my last dentist. He told me I had hardly any tarter build up. He was very surprised. My teeth are much whiter. And my gums don’t bleed like they use to. By killing all the daily/morning bacteria in the body. It gives your body defence, more chance to heal the rest of the body. Without trying to deal with the daily influx of mouth bacteria.. I have found this the most amazing easy, cheap treatment for my health, every… It feels weird at first. But after the first two times. It just comes naturally.. Don’t knock it till you try it. I first found out about it on Oprah. Thought it strange. But researched it. And bless the day I heard about it….

• Tammy Lewis says

Essential oils are the life blood of the plant and knowing the grade and reputation of your essential oils determines the GRAS – generally regarded as safe to use internally. Grades are determined by which pressing of the herb or spice is being used. Like a tea bag – Grade A or Therapeutic grades are the first pressing. These are the very best quality still full of life and active ingredients. Grade B is the second pressing and is sold to medical facilities, Grade C (third pressing) is what is sold to many essential oil companies. These oils can be considered “100 % Pure” by standard if they contain 10 percent of the oil along with any filler the company wants to use to fill the bottle. These oils can be considered not safe to use and even dangerous to ingest.

• courtneyd says

thankyou for this.
        i dont know much about essential oils and im always afraid of buying something that isnt safe.

• Stevie says

Those “Grades” were something that Young Living came up with as far as I can tell and have no bearing on how other companies label their oils.
        I don’t use Young Living and so have no opinion on their quality. But I would encourage you to do research online before purchasing any oils.

You can go one step further and make your own toothpaste. It is easy, takes only a few minutes to whip up a batch and much more cost effective than the store bought versions. It also has NO chemicals in it as long as you use organic / 100% pure ingredients, most of which can be found in your pantry :) I think Jillee has some recipes on here. I also have one of my variations listed here http://i-4details.blogspot.com/2013/04/toothpaste-homemade-whitening.html#more
      you can experiment with what essential oils you want to add for flavor and healing properties. Good luck on your journey!

3. Nancy says

Great idea! Will try for a sore throat! Don’t forget to label the container …. a good practice to follow when making home made anything.

4. Tina says

I am definitely going to try this! and the homemade toothpaste! But I’m curious why you say not to swallow. Everything in the recipe is consumable and the oils have many healing properties.

5. September says

Right on time! I was JUST saying to myself that I needed to look online for a recipe for mouthwash. Thank you!

6. Phyllis says

A very easy solution to the canker sores is table salt. Just wet the tip of your finger, dip it in the salt, and apply directly to the sore. Yes, it will sting a bit for a few seconds, but that means the salt is doing it’s job. You may need a second application again in a few hours, depending on how long you’ve had the sore before your first treatment. A simple, fail=proof recipe that works every time.

7. Judy Ann says

TO JILLEE:

bright idea recipe homemade solution DIY Health
    ___________________________________________________________
    These words above are at the top when I open the page about making your own mouthwash.

Now, My question is, Under those headings is an advertisement that changes and IS a link to click on.

Jillee, My question is, IS that supposed to be there..in other words do you have it there to advertise other blogs and products?
    I am asking because I have been “attacked” by spam and ads on everything that I try to do. I ran all my virus and spam software and still get some. If it is supposed to be there..that I am ok with it, but if not your addition, I still have to figure out what’s in my computer that is bugging me! HAHA

• Judy Ann says

Thanks Laura – I wondered about that..as it did not look like the rest of the page, and just did not fit in…
        I have been wondering why my computer is slowing down, and now I know.
        Thanks for answering my post!

• Nadine says

You might need a malware program. I use one called Malwarebytes. you can find it for free just google it.

• Judy Ann says

WELL Thank You Jillee!
        I am glad to find out it is supposed to be there. HAHA

I thought the “gremlins” were at work in my computer again.