Make Your Own Homemade Honey Mint Mouthwash

Honey Mint Mouthwash

This past week I have been fighting an annoying canker sore in my mouth. I remember growing up my Mom would have us gargle with warm, salt water when we got canker sores (or sore throats), but with alI the wonderful essential oils available today, I decided to do some research into homemade mouthwash/gargle options. By making your own mouthwash, not only can you to fight canker sores, but also bad breath!

There are many different ingredient options for making your own mouthwash including:  fresh herbs, essential oils, vodka, witch hazel, hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, raw honey, stevia, xylitol, apple cider vinegar, glycerin, salt, etc.

I looked at a lot of different recipes and then decided to come up with my own that included some of my favorite flavors and offered the healing properties I was looking for.

Honey Mint Mouthwash

Honey Mint Mouthwash

Honey Mint Mouthwash

Mix all ingredients together. Swish this in your mouth for 30 to 60 seconds and rinse. Be sure not to swallow! It’s pleasant, but strong! Best kept in a sealed glass bottle or jar.

I love honey and lemon together but I wanted my mouthwash to have a “minty-ness” to it too. The baking soda acts as a rinse and a cleanser, neutralizes the production of acid in the mouth and also acts as an antiseptic to help prevent infections occurring. Tea tree oil has antiseptic, antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties.

After my first use, the saltiness of the baking soda and the strong taste of the melaleuca were a bit strong, so I added one packet of stevia sweetener, and it was just right!

Honey Mint Mouthwash

The amount this recipe makes should last about a week, no refrigeration needed. I loved the way it made my mouth feel so clean! And after only a few applications my canker sore is already much improved.

Honey Mint Mouthwash

TIP: When using homemade mouthwash, it is important to shake your mouthwash well every time before using to mix the ingredients as the ingredients may have settled or the essential oils have collected at the top.

Facebook414Twitter19Pinterest4384Google+9

Comments

1. shori says

thank you for this great idea! I really hate getting canker sores. I wanted to suggest try switching your toothpaste if you are prone to canker sores. I used to get a lot, sometimes two or three at a time but after switching my toothpaste to ones that are sodium lauryl sulfate(SLS) free, I hardly get any. changed my life! the best one I tried, and I’ve tried almost every kind, is Burt’s Bees. All of their toothpastes are SLS-Free and you can find it at Whole Foods. I’m so glad I found your site. So many great recipes and ideas!!

I make my own toothpaste: mix 3 tbsp coconut oil, 4tbsp of baking powder, 20-25 drops of peppermint oil (and optionally 3-6 packs of stevia) – I love it, much prefer it to store bought toothpaste. It leaves my teeth and mouth feeling super healthy. You can also pull with oil to clear any infections in your mouth.

• Gail K. says

Oil Pulling is the best thing you can do for your mouth, and the whole body. Just Google Oil Pulling Therapy.
        I kills ALL bacteria in the mouth. Whitens teeth in about two weeks. Heals gum disease. And from there, it heals soooo much in the whole body. Since doing it everyday. I have never had hay fever. And I use to suffer from it a lot. I have never had lower back pain. My headaches have decreased by about 90%. My dentist bill have decreased a lot to. On my last dentist. He told me I had hardly any tarter build up. He was very surprised. My teeth are much whiter. And my gums don’t bleed like they use to. By killing all the daily/morning bacteria in the body. It gives your body defence, more chance to heal the rest of the body. Without trying to deal with the daily influx of mouth bacteria.. I have found this the most amazing easy, cheap treatment for my health, every… It feels weird at first. But after the first two times. It just comes naturally.. Don’t knock it till you try it. I first found out about it on Oprah. Thought it strange. But researched it. And bless the day I heard about it….

• Tammy Lewis says

Essential oils are the life blood of the plant and knowing the grade and reputation of your essential oils determines the GRAS – generally regarded as safe to use internally. Grades are determined by which pressing of the herb or spice is being used. Like a tea bag – Grade A or Therapeutic grades are the first pressing. These are the very best quality still full of life and active ingredients. Grade B is the second pressing and is sold to medical facilities, Grade C (third pressing) is what is sold to many essential oil companies. These oils can be considered “100 % Pure” by standard if they contain 10 percent of the oil along with any filler the company wants to use to fill the bottle. These oils can be considered not safe to use and even dangerous to ingest.

You can go one step further and make your own toothpaste. It is easy, takes only a few minutes to whip up a batch and much more cost effective than the store bought versions. It also has NO chemicals in it as long as you use organic / 100% pure ingredients, most of which can be found in your pantry :) I think Jillee has some recipes on here. I also have one of my variations listed here http://i-4details.blogspot.com/2013/04/toothpaste-homemade-whitening.html#more
      you can experiment with what essential oils you want to add for flavor and healing properties. Good luck on your journey!

2. Tina says

I am definitely going to try this! and the homemade toothpaste! But I’m curious why you say not to swallow. Everything in the recipe is consumable and the oils have many healing properties.

3. Phyllis says

A very easy solution to the canker sores is table salt. Just wet the tip of your finger, dip it in the salt, and apply directly to the sore. Yes, it will sting a bit for a few seconds, but that means the salt is doing it’s job. You may need a second application again in a few hours, depending on how long you’ve had the sore before your first treatment. A simple, fail=proof recipe that works every time.

4. Judy Ann says

TO JILLEE:

bright idea recipe homemade solution DIY Health
    ___________________________________________________________
    These words above are at the top when I open the page about making your own mouthwash.

Now, My question is, Under those headings is an advertisement that changes and IS a link to click on.

Jillee, My question is, IS that supposed to be there..in other words do you have it there to advertise other blogs and products?
    I am asking because I have been “attacked” by spam and ads on everything that I try to do. I ran all my virus and spam software and still get some. If it is supposed to be there..that I am ok with it, but if not your addition, I still have to figure out what’s in my computer that is bugging me! HAHA

5. Laura says

I love your site! I have a question though, where do you buy your essential oils? We sell them where I work (an independent pharmacy) but I work about 10 miles from my home and am just wondering if a grocery store would be likely to carry any. I might just get some when I go back to work tomorrow but I want to make some fabric softener crystals tonight!

• Sophorn says

Essential oils you get from the stores aren’t usually the good stuff. You have to find ones that are therapeutic grade. Most of the ones you find at the stores contain lots of chemicals and they aren’t pure anymore. I get mine from Young Living.

I get the most of my oils from Doterra. Sophorn is right…most grocery stores don’t carry therapeutic grade oils which is the only kind you want for any medical uses. If you just want to use them for scent you can use the lower quality ones which you can find at most health food stores.

• Stevie says

Do research online most stores carry NOW foods oils which are lower quality but not harmful in any way. At least in my experience. But the most important thing is to find a company you trust. If you search “How to but essential oils” there are some great posts about choosing a company. These posts will explain that therapeutic grade is a meaningless term. That does not mean that companies that use that term are bad. But using that term means nothing. There really isn’t much regulation on essential oils in the US as something can be labeled “pure” and contain 49% of something else
      Bottom line: Do your own research and listen to your instincts. If something seems up with a company it is probably best to purchase from a different one.

6. Gwyn says

This sounds great. Thank you. I’m sure you found this in your research but just in case you didn’t; Cove EO “neat” on canker sores, any mouth sores or toothache actually, works wonders. It will sting like mad at first like most anything you put on a mouth sore but it cuts the pain enough to eat and talk again and lasts. It is also anti viral and anti bacterial so helps fight the cause of the problem as well. If you don’t mind the flavor of clove (I love it) putting it in the mouthwash mixture would probably work well too. Not sure how much it would numb everything in diluted form though…hmmm. Good luck canker sores are the worst.

7. Alisha says

This sounds so yummy….but why can’t you drink it? I don’t see anything toxic there. Just curious if it’s the combination? Is it the getting too much acid build up from daily doses of baking soda that would change your PH level in your body, or something else. Thanks Jillee! You ROCK.

8. Jeanne says

I just pinned my cure-all for canker sores. Licorice root! Put one or two drops directly onto your canker sore and it will be healed in one or two days! It is fantastic! I have been using it for years and also got my son to use it. We are very prone to canker sores and it is such a relief to heal them quickly. I always keep some on hand. I believe it works on cold sores too, but we don’t get those. Sometimes, my lip will feel “tingly” and I put licorice root on a cotton ball and dab it on. Nothing ever forms on my lip, so I don’t know if I’m preventing something or not!!!

9. Cindy says

This looked so intriguing I had to try it. I didn’t have any lemon EO, so I substituted clovebud EO since that is antiseptic and good for toothaches (not to mention that I like the taste better than lemon) and I also added a teaspoon of organic olive oil since that is supposed to be great for bleeding gums. I made Louize’s toothpast recipe (above) but used baking soda instead of baking powder. I am LOVING the results already!! Thank you, Jillee, for all of your great ideas. I’ve used so many of them and have been very pleased.

10. Nancy says

I used to get canker sores often when I had braces as a kid – and when I started to get a sore, I put a piece of ice directly on top – (the little squares from a restaurant ice machine are the perfect size, or just break a piece off a bigger piece) and it would slow or stop it. That, and campho phenique helps, too.

I love the idea of the mouthwash – there isn’t a commercial one out there that I like.

11. Kim says

This looks quick, easy, and just generally perfect. Thank you!

The longer I follow your blog, the more I’m convinced there’s a way to make just about anything at home — and that it will be even easier once I’ve built up my EO collection a little bit. Thanks for that, too!

12. Tabitha says

Your site has so many ads that I can barely load it on my computer anymore. Unfortunately, my adblocker doesn’t block the imbedded ads. You must make a lot of money on each page view and any clicks you get! w00t!

13. Brenda says

My family way of dealing with canker sores is Alum. Alum is a spice used for making pickles. You can find it in the grocery store with the other spices. All you do is wet your finger and place it in the Alum, making sure you get lots on your finger tip. Put that on your canker sore and leave it on for as long as you can, one minute if you can stand it.
    Rinse your mouth out and that’s it! It does sting a bit, but not bad. I repeat later the same day. The canker sore will be gone in 24 to 48 hours. You may want to repeat the treatment the next day.
    My friend has used this for her cold sore with good results.

• Mab says

Good grief! ALUM IS NOT A SPICE! It is a manufactured chemical compound (an aluminum salt) known fully as potassium aluminum sulfate! It is a form of aluminum not unlike the aluminum salts found in deodorants. If you haven’t heard the warning about aluminum (in general) by now: there is strong evidence of a link to Alzheimer’s disease. Aluminum is widely recognized as a neurotoxin when it goes beyond the trace amounts found in nature. It’s use in making pickles is as a preservative and to enhance crispness. It has an astringent effect that produces a pucker when eating a pickle (especially Sour Pickles). It is the ingredient in styptic pencils that stop the bleeding from a shaving cut. It is the stuff folks used to add to hot water to make a soak for their hands or feet if sweaty palms or sweaty feet were a problem (which is why it’s added to anti-perspirants). And yes, it’s an old remedy for canker sores. But it’s toxic in amounts other than trace amounts. A few possible causes of canker sores: B-12 deficiency, digestive/colon problems, mouth injuries, and just plain old stress. Canker sores are not related to cold sores (herpes simplex virus).

14. Lisa says

I LOVE THIS!!!!! Just made it and it reminded me of the old days when I’d chew on green mint herbs….wow..what a blast from the past. My mouth feels so clean especially after brushing my teeth with homemade toothpaste too :) I love DIY natural homemade products. I started making/using them in December and am addicted. Everything in my home that I use to cook with, I can clean with, do laundry with, use on my skin and hair, eat, etc….the sky is the limit. All you really need are around 10-15 essential items which are dirt cheap to begin with, then it’s all uphill from there. Start saving your money. Put what you would’ve spent in a jar for a year then use it for a nice vacation. I’m telling you, the savings are out of this world and the products are even better.

NEVER BEEN MORE HOOKED IN PA :)

15. Dannie says

I read years ago, if you are prone to canker sores, you should eat more yogurt. My husband used to get them all the time, and now, thirty+ years and lots of yogurt later, he never gets them! But if he ever does, we will surely try this!

16. Amanda says

What is the honey for? Just flavor? I’m a dental hygienist and I’m a little bit concerned about people swishing with a mouthwash containing honey because of the sugar in it. It’s one thing to swish with a rinse like this to soothe and help heal a canker sore, but what if people are using this right before bedtime after they brush? Rinsing with a mouthwash containing sugar is just asking for a mouth full of cavities!

• Cynthia says

Uhm…I don’t know where you do your research on foods and sweeteners, but honey doesn’t actually contain sugar. It is an invert sugar, so it contains the same properties as other sweeteners like sugar. But, as I said, there is no sugar IN the honey. Unless you’re using the honey-flavored syrup that most restaurants serve with their biscuits. But, raw honey is not.

17. Charlene says

My Mom used the alum trick on me when I was young for canker sores. Never much cared for the taste, although it was effective. My newest remedy is just to place a squeezed out wet tea bag on the sore for a bit. I use a plain old Lipton tea bag or whatever brand you have, just not an herbal one. I usually try this before bedtime and begin to feel relief right away. Usually by morning, the sore will be on the way to healing. Try it, you’ll be convinced.

18. Gj Amber says

Have used milk of magnesia or pepto bismo on cancer sores. No sting and it is such a cooling relief plus they dry up very quickly. It feels like they are neutralizing the acid. And, not to whine (at least not too much) I wish there was an alternative to honey and tea tree oil, since I am quite allergic to both.

19. Penny says

Jillie, I take exception to your comment “If you just want to use them for scent you can use the lower quality ones which you can find at most health food stores.” Excuse me? Our local health food store is called Foods For Living, and they wouldn’t think of selling anything that was lower quality. All their products are natural and organic. Wherever did you get that idea?

• Steph says

Check the bottles….they will be labeled not safe for consumption. Those are the lower grade oils. The higher grade will tell you otherwise. For example, doTerra sells lemon oil that is safe to ingest, but the oil that I saw at Sprouts is not. There are different types of processing for essential oils. You can find the information online.

• Stevie says

Steph that is not why they are labeled unsafe for consumption. It is not always about quality. It has to do with the fact that not everyone is on board with the science that ingesting essential oils is safe. The only companies I know of that recommend it are doTerra and Young Living. But there are many companies who’s oils are just as high of quality as theirs.

Also I would like to know where you got the information on processing methods as I haven’t seen that before and I would be really interested, because I am trying to learn about this as much as I can.

• Jamie says

There are several processing methods that you can find just about anywhere with essential oil blurbs (online, books, the bottles of EO.,etc.) Usually it depends on what oil is being made and what part of the plant it comes from such as lemons, the peels are cold pressed to get the oils out, others that are more delicate like rose petals are distilled.

20. Debra says

I started having canker sores for the first time a couple years back. Upon research, I quit using regular toothpaste and started using coconut oil. I have not had a canker sore since. If I feel a need to rinse my mouth, I use diluted apple cider vinegar and then rinse with water so the acid doesn’t eat my tooth enamel.

21. heidi says

Two words: OIL PULLING

Another reader mentioned it above. All it is is swishing oil in your mouth, but it is one of the most amazing health remedies I have ever tried. It will get rid of plaque, heal your gums, make your teeth white, drain your sinuses, and rid you of bad breath. And that’s just what it has done for me in a few weeks. According to Ayurvedic medicine, if you do it long enough it will cure other illnesses too.

Jillee, do a blog on this! You will notice a difference after just 2-3 days of trying oil pulling.

Welcome to Chicago and its weather! Please stay safe and warm in our not so welcoming weather.
    Bet you thought you would miss the snow this year

Yours is the first e-mail I read in the morning. Love your view of life and all the articles you write.

Pat

23. Arby Robinson says

Just made the mouth wash this morning. My God that is nasty stuff but it really does seem to take care of the mouth. swished it for about 30 seconds and then rinsed out with water. Might have to add stevia next time. But is really good.

24. Mary Griffin says

i too get canker sores. They were so bad because i had them on my tonsils…hard to eat or drink. So i went to see doc. he wrote me a med which was about the size of your pinky and was $36…My daughter knocked it in the sink while i was gargling with it….i called doc and he said you can just use peroixde…..it works too….usually gone in 2-3 days….be sure and do this 3 -4 times a day and do not swallow it….i know it foams your mouth up..cleans your teeth too….been doing this now for 30 years.

25. Amora says

Jillee, I really like a lot of your recipes, but this one is concerning me. I made it last night because I discovered I ran out of my little bottle of listerine and didn’t realize my big refill bottle was empty too. I normally brush my teeth with regular toothpaste (don’t have all the ingredients for home made yet). Then brush again with activated charcoal, then mouthwash. After I do the activated charcoal my teeth are squeaky clean (quite literally, put my finger on them and rub, and my teeth squeak). My teeth will stay squeaky clean after using listerine, but when I use your mouthwash recipe they feel… mildly coated? I guess that’s the best way to discribe it. My teeth aren’t squeaky anymore. Am I missing something? Do other people have this result? Is there something else to do to return that squeaky clean feeling?

I like this. It makes my mouth feel clean, but not overpowered by alcohols and flavor ants like store brands. I made it using hot distilled water in the blender and have had no trouble with separation!
    Love all your great products Jillee!
    ~Sterling

27. Helen Draudt says

Although cold sores and canker sores are often confused for each other, they are not the same. Cold sores, also called a fever blister or herpes simplex type 1, are groups of painful, fluid-filled blisters. Unlike canker sores, cold sores are caused by a virus and are extremely contagious. Also, cold sores typically appear outside the mouth — usually under the nose, around the lips, or under the chin, while canker sores occur inside the mouth.,*;-

Most recent article content on our internet page http://caramoan.ph/index.php/

28. Sol Fatica says

The exact cause of most canker sores is unknown. Stress or tissue injury is thought to be the cause of simple canker sores. Certain foods — including citrus or acidic fruits and vegetables (such as lemons, oranges, pineapples, apples, figs, tomatoes, and strawberries) — can trigger a canker sore or make the problem worse. Sometimes a sharp tooth surface or dental appliance, such as braces or ill-fitting dentures, might also trigger canker sores.-”-.

Freshest piece of content on our very own web-site

29. sue says

I was really surprised to see a packet of truvia on your website. truvia is not like stevia. stevia is a natural sweetner that has been around forever and is safe. and truvia is a chemically altered version made by the coca cola company. .the only way they can patent it is to alter it! please use regular stevia for any sweetning.

30. Liadan says

I’m in my last year of dental school, and personally, research shows mouthwashes pale in comparison to brushing a flossing. It is the mechanical removal of plaque by brushing that prevent cavities. Heck, most days I don’t even use toothpaste since I gently brush my teeth and floss a few times during a day (gently is the key word!!!). This may not be advisable for people who frequently get cavities though, since they may require the fluoride from toothpaste to help curb bacteria levels in the mouth. I

Furthermore, this mouthwash Jillee maide contains fermentable carbohydrates from the sugar in honey, which is what the sugar-munching bacteria in your mouth consume in order to produce tooth- decaying acid. In short, the ingredients in this list actually encourages cavities and gingivitis, so all in all, rinsing with this is a one-way ticket to filling-town and money in my or your dentist’s pocket!

While it does contain menthol through the mint and eucalyptol from the eucalyptus aka tea tree oil, by themselves, these chemicals are unable to stop the effects of the sugar. Remember, you might use oils, but they still are chemicals!! Additionally, the natural oils containing beneficial ingredients such as wintergreen’s methyl salicylate thyme’s thymol also are needed to make this truly effective in addition to the menthol and eucalyptol. And heck by that time, listerine already has these oils. And really, the only reason most mouthwashes work is because of the high ethyl alcohol content. That burning sensation that most people hate is what is actually doing most of the work.

As for me? Mouthwashes are the pharmaceutical companies way of taking your money… I don’t use it as it doesn’t really do much except put a slight damper in gingivitis (listerine is the only mouthwash that can actually effect gingivitis, but nowhere near as effective as regular flossing). Ditch the mouthwash and pick up the floss if you want to see a difference!! 95% of my patients have gingivitis because they don’t floss correctly or regularly. I hate mouthwash personally and never use it, yet I have gorgeous gums with low probing depths (meaning no gingival pockets or periodontal disease).

And don’t put hydrogen peroxide on canker sores aka aphthous ulcers!! It significantly slows down healing!! Just stick to a toothpaste that is sodium lauryl sulfate free to prevent canker sores, or do what I do (since I’m prone to some canker sores myself), and brush the usual two minutes without toothpaste. I brush my teeth while I drive myself to dental school at the red lights.

I have to research all of this stuff during school with hands-on experimentation, but please remember, you don’t have to pay a lot of money for good oral hygiene care. Brush your teeth correctly with a soft toothbrush and floss! Watch a YouTube video on proper technique for brushing and flossing… That way your wallet stays happy, your teeth stay happy, and you only see me for 6 month cleanings… Not 6 month fillings or crowns. But heck, if you want to use this mouthwash, go ahead – you’ll pay off my 230K of student loans off fast!! Lol

With all those ingredients, a person can just go buy regular mouthwash! Still nice if you’re really in need of a homemade remedy though. Some people just like to be simple and use water, baking soda, and a hint of mint.