Make Your Own Homemade Honey Mint Mouthwash

Honey Mint Mouthwash

This past week I have been fighting an annoying canker sore in my mouth. I remember growing up my Mom would have us gargle with warm, salt water when we got canker sores (or sore throats), but with alI the wonderful essential oils available today, I decided to do some research into homemade mouthwash/gargle options. By making your own mouthwash, not only can you to fight canker sores, but also bad breath!

There are many different ingredient options for making your own mouthwash including:  fresh herbs, essential oils, vodka, witch hazel, hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, raw honey, stevia, xylitol, apple cider vinegar, glycerin, salt, etc.

I looked at a lot of different recipes and then decided to come up with my own that included some of my favorite flavors and offered the healing properties I was looking for.

Honey Mint Mouthwash

Honey Mint Mouthwash

Honey Mint Mouthwash

Mix all ingredients together. Swish this in your mouth for 30 to 60 seconds and rinse. Be sure not to swallow! It’s pleasant, but strong! Best kept in a sealed glass bottle or jar.

I love honey and lemon together but I wanted my mouthwash to have a “minty-ness” to it too. The baking soda acts as a rinse and a cleanser, neutralizes the production of acid in the mouth and also acts as an antiseptic to help prevent infections occurring. Tea tree oil has antiseptic, antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties.

After my first use, the saltiness of the baking soda and the strong taste of the melaleuca were a bit strong, so I added one packet of stevia sweetener, and it was just right!

Honey Mint Mouthwash

The amount this recipe makes should last about a week, no refrigeration needed. I loved the way it made my mouth feel so clean! And after only a few applications my canker sore is already much improved.

Honey Mint Mouthwash

TIP: When using homemade mouthwash, it is important to shake your mouthwash well every time before using to mix the ingredients as the ingredients may have settled or the essential oils have collected at the top.

Share on Facebook415Tweet about this on Twitter19Pin on Pinterest4,580Google+9

Comments

1. Kati says

What a great idea! I look forward to trying this out and perhaps develop my own recipe. Thank you so much! You always have such wonderful recipes and ideas.

2. shori says

thank you for this great idea! I really hate getting canker sores. I wanted to suggest try switching your toothpaste if you are prone to canker sores. I used to get a lot, sometimes two or three at a time but after switching my toothpaste to ones that are sodium lauryl sulfate(SLS) free, I hardly get any. changed my life! the best one I tried, and I’ve tried almost every kind, is Burt’s Bees. All of their toothpastes are SLS-Free and you can find it at Whole Foods. I’m so glad I found your site. So many great recipes and ideas!!

3. Nancy says

Great idea! Will try for a sore throat! Don’t forget to label the container …. a good practice to follow when making home made anything.

I make my own toothpaste: mix 3 tbsp coconut oil, 4tbsp of baking powder, 20-25 drops of peppermint oil (and optionally 3-6 packs of stevia) – I love it, much prefer it to store bought toothpaste. It leaves my teeth and mouth feeling super healthy. You can also pull with oil to clear any infections in your mouth.

5. Tina says

I am definitely going to try this! and the homemade toothpaste! But I’m curious why you say not to swallow. Everything in the recipe is consumable and the oils have many healing properties.

6. September says

Right on time! I was JUST saying to myself that I needed to look online for a recipe for mouthwash. Thank you!

7. Kae says

When I have flare ups with sore gums, I use a cap full of hydrogen peroxide and hold it in my mouth as long as I can. DO NOT SWALLOW IT! Swish well with tepid water afterward. After 2-3 days, my issue is usually resolved.