A Natural Alternative To Prescription Medication for A.D.H.D.

natural ADHD relief

As many of you know, I am a big fan of Essential Oils. I am by no means an expert on them, but I love using them in homemade cleaning products, health and beauty products and even take them internally for different health conditions.

Today, however, I’m talking about something I don’t have any PERSONAL knowledge of, but something I feel strongly needs to be shared for those parents and kids who are suffering from ADHD, or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.

This is a story about my 7 year old nephew Jeddy. He is my sister Dori’s (RichesToRagsByDori.com) youngest child, and he was diagnosed with severe ADHD when he started school one year ago.

jeddy

As you can see from these pictures he is a happy, fun-loving kid. What you CAN’T see in these pictures is the “heart of gold” he possesses and the “demons” he faces everyday because ADHD makes life incredibly difficult for a kid.

When Jeddy started first grade, Dori received a call from the school principal. They actually made him and Dori sign a legal discipline code document because he was so disruptive in class. Think about how devastating that would be to a little boy who suddenly found himself in a classroom all day and didn’t know how to control his boundless energy!

The school authorities also informed Dori at the time that they needed to see a doctor and get Jeddy on medication right away.

adderall

Psychostimulants (also known as stimulants) are the most commonly used ADHD drugs. These drugs include:

Amphetamine-dextroamphetamine (Adderall)
Dexmethylphenidate (Focalin)
Dextroamphetamine (Dexedrine, Dextrostat)
Lisdexamfetamine (Vyvanse)
Methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Metadate, Daytrana)

Some ADHD medicines have been linked to rare sudden death in children with heart problems. Side effects can include stunted growth in young people, sweating or shaking, and occasionally a psychosis can occur.

blending oils

Dori is also a big believer in Essential Oils and decided there had to be a better way. She began researching and eventually came up with her own blend of essential oils to help Jeddy cope with his ADHD symptoms.

She started applying it to his feet in the morning before school. After just one day Jeddy was ASKING for “that oil” because it made him feel so much better at school.

After a week of using the blend, at a scheduled Parent-Teacher conference, Jed’s teacher told them that he was an entirely different kid in class.

As a Mom, I can only imagine the relief and joy both Jeddy and his parents felt at hearing this.

Does any of this sound familiar to you? If you are the parent of a child suffering from ADHD, or know of anyone else who is, this might be an option you haven’t considered before.

Today Dori is sharing an offer to buy a pre-made bottle of the blend to sample.

jeddys blend

Because this is an all-natural treatment, Dori was given permission to send the blend with Jed to school everyday, in case he needed it. But so far, a morning and after school application have been sufficient.

roller bottles

The following sizes are available to order:

1/3 oz. glass roller bottle – $58
1/6 oz. glass roller bottle – $28

{price includes shipping within the US – additional charge outside of US}

Please send an email to richestoragsbydori@gmail.com with any questions that you may have about Jeddy’s Blend and how to order.

Dori can accept payment through PayPal to richestoragsbydori@gmail.com. Please note this is a non-refundable limited offer! (I have not been paid anything for this post, nor will I make anything off the sale of these sample blends.)

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

I want to say one final thing about essential oils in general before I conclude this post. I feel like I’m in a love/hate relationship! I LOVE what they can do….I HATE how much they cost! Even more than that, I HATE that there are people out there that want/need them and can’t afford them.

I just want you to know that I am well aware of this and consider it a personal mission to somehow find an answer to this dilemma.

Essential oils

Share on Facebook655Tweet about this on Twitter10Pin on Pinterest6,393Google+1

Comments

1. lisa morton says

I just love all the recipes and homemade solutions. I have an adhd child. anxious to try this natural cure for adhd. I live in Muncie ind. where in my area can I find essential oils?

• Zoquara says

Lisa, you can get these particular oils and blends from DOterra’s website, OR from Amazon.com. I think the price I actually got for all 6 products was just under $190. I can’t afford them myself, but my step-mom is ordering them for me. My son is ADHD/ODD, and he’s in a growth spurt right now, so his medication needs are changing, and the last week with him has been a roller coaster. The other day, he went from being happy and lovey to throwing the worst fit he has ever thrown and running away in WalMart. Most of this past week, I’ve kept him home from school because he hasn’t been in a good place as far as his moods go. I’ve never been happy about having him on medication, so I am looking forward to trying this on him.

I’m also wondering, though, if there’s anything like this (or if this will) that will help him sleep at night. In addition to the other issues, he’s also on medication to sleep at night (chlonidine and melatonin). I don’t mind the melatonin, but the chlonidine bothers me, since its other usage is also as a heart medication.

• Lauren says

zoquara , thank you for your comment! My 10 y/o son has AD/HD & ODD and I was wondering if this would help him at all. He takes Vyvanse 50 mg in the AM and Kapvay .1 mg in the AM and PM. Kapvay is the long acting version of Clonidine. I’m not satisfied with how it’s working though.

I’m curious to know how it’s working for kids who also have ODD. Also, how quickly does it work? How long does one mixture last? If this really does help, I would totally find a way to afford it!

Whoever tries it, please check back in!

• Elizabeth says

What sleep issues does he have? I have had trouble sleeping, mostly my mind won’t shut down. Sleeping pills, including melatonin, give me terrible nightmares. I finally stumbled upon 5HTP (they have it at Walmart). It does not make me drowsy but it shuts my mind down so when I lay down to sleep I can, and when I toss around at night I can go right back to sleep. I take it about 2 hours before I plan to go to sleep, just so I know it’s working. It has left no side effects on me, not tired or groggy in the morning, since it doesn’t cause me to be drowsy at all. I don’t know if it would still help if he’s not able to fall asleep, but worth a shot maybe.

• silverdust says

Elizabeth, I too have trouble getting my mind to shut down. If I don’t take something I feel burnt-out and crabby the next day. I used to take the 5HTP and or melatonin/valerian, but they irritated my system enough that I had to get up to use the bathroom without fail! Then I couldn’t get back to sleep.

The cheapest, most dependable solution I’ve found is Equate Nighttime Sleep Aid, which is 50 mg gel caps of Diphenhydramine HCI. IIRC, it’s a decongestant, and this time of year I wake up with awful sinus headaches with weather changes, so it’s doing double duty. It’s not super strong. In fact, I have to take one with dinner to be drowsy by 10:30.

• Mary says

Diphenhydramine HCI is the ingredient in Benedryl. I used to take it to fall asleep, though over time I needed more and more and had to stop taking it. I thought I’d let you know that you can get huge bottles of generic Benedryl pretty cheaply. When they market it as a sleep aid, they usually charge more. Walmart has a 100 count 25mg pills for $4 on their website.

• Brigitte says

That’s not a decongestant it’s an antihistamine, and long-term use of antihistamines have side effects. Maybe it’s worth the nasal surgery my dad is having for the third time, but there are so many other options I’d exhaust first.

• Rose says

Thanks so much for the info on 5HTP. I’m going to get some today. I have the same problem you do…my mind just won’t quit thinking! Hope it works for me.

• Maria says

Melatonin is Not recommended for children as it can stunt the growth of their sex organs. My sons’ doctor had recommended Melatonin for them, because they are both ADHD and had problems sleeping. I asked the pharmacist and they looked it up in their books and that’s what they said. He suggested giving the giving them Benadryl to help them sleep. I did try it and it does work, But I found a more natural way for my younger one to relax and fall asleep. He listens to audio stories when he goes to bed and that has really helped him. My older son who is 19, prefers to listen to cartoons and take chlonidine if he needs it. Just because something natural, does not make it safe. It is medication too.

• sara h says

Look into Hyland’s Calmes or Calmes Forte. (www.hylands.com) Its a homeopathic medicine that worked amazing on my daughter when she was having night terrors. (One is for adults one for kids, not sure of weight cutoff) but you can usually get them from vitamin stores/catalogs. The description for its use says something about calming your mind so you can fall asleep. They have a lot of great products, all natural ingredients!

• Dawnia says

Hi,
        We use the Calms Forte also. But there is another great natural product that shuts off “brain chatter”. Look for the flower essence White Chestnut, by FES Services.
        They have it on vitacost for around 10$. It works like a charm.,just a few tiny drops under you tongue. I guess it’s sort of like an essential oil, as its a flower extract in alcohol. I was told to try Melatonin, it gave me bad Migraines. Never again. I researched it, lots of side effects. It is actually a hormone that works on the pineal gland in your brain. I’m not messing with that!! Hope this helps!!

• Lenora says

Lavender essential oil is excellent for helping sleep. My son, ADHD as well, uses lavender on the bottom of his feet before bed. It is helping him calm down faster and sleep through the night, and he started asking for it after a few nights!

• anonymous says

Hey can u send me the recipe n all ingredients via email on mheikl@aol.com..I will be eternally grateful..as I cant find the recipe…they have taken it down…pls…I m not a spam person…thanks in advance

Lavender oils could definitely help him with his sleep issues. You can either rub it on his feet with a carrier oil, diffuse it into the air or use it in the bathtub before bedtime. It has been helping my family sleep well lately and I love the smell of it. There are ways to make the oils cheaper like getting a Preferred Membership(20% off retail) or a Wholesale Membership(25% off retail +bonuses). A lot of people get the memberships just for the discount and others decide to share the oils with people they know and earn enough to cover the costs of their oils. I have learned so much about essential oils since joining DoTerra in March and I love using them and seeing results.

• George says

If you find a supplier for essential oils in the Muncie area or in the Indy area, please let me know. Thanks.

Lisa,
      I am in Indianapolis, and if you haven´t already started using oils I would be more than willing to meet with you in Muncie and let you see the oils and talk to you more about DoTerra´s oils. If you are interested, please email me at angdru@gmail.com.
      Angie

2. Calliope says

Just a reminder: these kind of medications in Europe are not prescribed in children. And attention disorders don’t even have a name. Just sayin’…
    Our societies aren’t that different, so you may have to search for the root of the problem somewhere else like food (too much boxed maybe?), activities (too many for a small child to handle?), family issues etc
    I am a teacher in a school for children w special needs and almost all children receive some kind of medication but in “normal” schools it is unthinkable for a teacher, principal or school to push a family or child into receiving medication of this sort. Usually the child and any other children in the school, or area of the same hyperactivity are taught with different methods in different classrooms until the “problem” subsides.
    I’d say to follow your maternal insticts, inform yourself and don’t give in to external pressures. I hope everything turns out well for your family and sweet kid!

• Anna says

I can appreciate that Europe has their opinions on ADD/ADHD disorders, but I can testify as a 27 year old that has dealt with ADHD my entire life, it is a very real thing. We can certainly debate the causes (vaccine injury, diet, what have you). I had a normal home life as a child and ate a variety of things produced from my family’s large garden, not to mention my diet has changed many times over the years and my symptoms have not. The only thing I have managed to control over the years are my impulsive outbursts. The inability to focus on any given class lecture, or task at home or work for more than 30 seconds to 2 minutes is next to impossible. I took medication during school, without meds I absorbed nothing in class, with it I had mild feelings of hopelessness and a desire to isolate myself. It is a very difficult decision for some parents, because many essentially have to decide between medicating their child or allowing their child to fail miserably in school and relationships. My mother was also a special needs teacher and she knew that was not the place for me. I’m not trying to tell people what they should do, (because I honestly don’t know) I just want to defend the fact that ADHD is very real and has strongly impacted my life in a negative way. I choose not to be on medication any longer (now that it is my choice) but if I ever went back to school, it would be a must for me, I know that now (after going from A/B student to D student my only unmedicated semester)

I am hopeful that these essential oils might have an impact. Strong coffee (a stimulant, like most ADD meds) has been the only thing to ever make a small difference, my symptoms were a lot worse when I was pregnant/breastfeeding and had a minimal caffeine intake.

• Jenny says

Anna,
        Thank you for sharing your experience. I appreciate hearing it.

I am a teacher, and in our district, maybe even state, we are not allowed to propose medicating a student. We can talk about what we see in class, suggest testing for ADD or ADHD, but that is it. We can do what we can, but we can’t require or push medication on anyone.

• CarolinaWren says

I appreciate your comments so very much. I am a sixty year old with ADHD (not so much the H at this age :). Following a very successful career as a teacher of students with special needs, I retired and own a small business. As a teacher, I attended many professional development and college classes. One was a course on ADHD that I took when I was in my 40′s. Hearing the professor discuss students with ADHD brought me to tears. She gave a name (unheard of in the 50′s and 60′s) and positive solutions. I thought I was just plain stupid throughout all my schooling. C’s and D’s were my norm although I was able to achieve success in some classes if I especially loved the material, the teacher could “get my learning style”, or it was a hands on course (for girls in the 60′s, Home Economics and some art classes were the only choice). I did not have study skills, organization or structure to help me achieve. Medications were not available or were not mainstreamed that I would know about them. I struggled through college but loved my special education coursework and volunteering in schools. My last two years of college were all A’s and B’s, helping me gain enough credits to graduate. Securing employment and positive evaluations was gratifying. I always went above and beyond, my social skills with children and parents was strong, I only had one supervisor in my 30 plus years that I struggled with, and I learned constantly to be an outstanding teacher each and every day. My students knew and appreciated that I struggled with learning, attention and memory; my style of teaching was energetic, creative, hands on, and individualized as much as possible. I struggled with the mandated paperwork demands that constantly changed; more time, more specific detail, and more meetings. As an adult, postpartum depression forced me to seek medical support in both prescription and counseling. The anti-depressant that I take also helps somewhat with adult ADHD, as well as to lift my spirit, enabling me to strengthen my personal control . My symptoms remain present in my everyday life although I am able to manage these better. I cannot live without my calendar and clipboard with my daily schedule written down. ADHD continues to be misunderstood by families and school personnel although strides have been made. I am indebted to those who loved and love me just as I am. I know I am quirky and struggle with staying on task and conversation frequently. Be kind and patient and loving. Find the individual’s gift and honor it. We beat ourselves up enough without any additional help. I love the idea of an herbal formula that might work for one who struggles with ADHD. I would also advocate that if you or your child needs medical intervention to find the best doctor you can, one who monitors frequently. I would also advocate counseling on some level if self-esteem, self-image, and confidence seem poor. Research demonstrates that early ( and this begins as early as infancy; being seen as different hurts) poor self-image leads to an increase in poor choices as a teenager and on; use of non-prescription drugs, sexual promiscuity, eating issues, etc. If your child’s teacher doesn’t understand and honor your child, either help the teacher learn or change teachers. Advocating for your child may be uncomfortable but you must! Schools don’t want parents to be upset. Present your knowledge and evidence factually and calmly; your child deserves an education that embraces and honors his or her individuality. Thanks for letting me write at great length about my story. I appreciated reading yours. Here’s to us!!

• CTY says

I think what Caliope is trying to say is that in Europe ADHD behaviors are addressed differently. From her response they recognize the disorder because there are specific school, teaching methods available. As far as not naming it–I don’t think that is a denial that it exists but rather an awareness that ADHD has so many “levels” and demonstrates such an array of behaviors/symptoms that each person needs to be helped on an individual basis. To me it sounds like Caliope’s school system is simply not applying a “One size fits all label” and leaving the medication issue to be the personal choice that it is.
        There are no sure fire answers to this. I am a true believer that medications can help but to rely solely on them is a mistake.

• Anna says

Sorry Calliope but that isn’t quite accurate in the UK, and Europe is a huge place, it includes Russia. In the UK If a child is diagnosed with ADHD then schools then the child is classed as special needs, the school gets extra funding and tax benefits (for things like classroom assistants) and parent can also apply for extra help whether it being practical support or funding for things that would help. If fact this is being reviewed/discussed because schools for extra money are classifying so many children for various disorders as special needs for spurious reasons not those professionally diagnosed we have a special needs epidemic! Almost 1 in 5 children which is clearly ridiculous and the extra funding is being abused. We have lots of names for lots of disorders some have been classed as special needs because their parents are addicts (don’t get me started about people allowed to drag up their children), kids not being fed properly at home, again inadequate parenting. This of courses means the at home reasons for struggling children is not dealt with (a sticky plaster over a festering wound) and those with genuine disorders don’t get the funding they could. Last year they said this programme wasn’t fit for purpose so they’re reviewing but of course with the credit crunch many are worried that’s just an excuse for cutting funding.

As for the medications, they’re trying to find a balance, many children are medicated but it was felt about 5-10 years ago this was inappropriate and damaging towards the child in some cases where they ceased to be the child they were, stripped away their personality and of course all medication has side effects and they can be serious. So there’s a definite push to finding alternatives, coping mechanisms, outlets for energy, schools can use the extra money to supply these alternatives. We certainly don’t have all the answers though.

Anyway that’s the UK, don’t know about the rest of Europe,

• Shannon says

This post really bothered me. “Problem” ? Get to the root of the problem? That sounds horrible. Yes there can be alot of contributing factors to ADHD (genetics, environment, maternal health etc) however the biggest is when people see it as a ‘problem’ rather than an opportunity to educate themselves about the illness and find ways they can support it and/or help educate the child and families alike. I have a child with Global Developmental Delay. He has autistic tendencies but also has a few fits that could be similar to those of ADD/ADHD children. I’m not big on medications and thankfully my son doesn’t need any but this just really rubbed me the wrong way. To each his/her own as to opinions but if this or any other natural remedy works for this little guy, I’m all for it. Call it what you want but if it works for him, thank goodness!

• Jeni Rose says

I wanted to comment to your post because I want to share my experience with my son.

My son is 8.5 and has an IQ of 138. He was diagnosed with ADHD about 4 months ago. My husband and I were dead set against medicating our child because we did not want him to turn into a “zombie” or into someone other than our fun, sweet boy. I did TONS of research on how to treat ADHD naturally, and we tried many, many things. We cut out red and blue food dyes, processed food, increased his activity, and we even tried essential oils(Vetiver and Sweet Orange) but at the end of the day, we had to realize that our son has a problem focusing and retaining information. Our son DESERVES to be able to learn and retain what his teachers are telling him. Since being put on Focalin XR 7 weeks ago, our son is STILL the sweet, funny, caring boy he always was, but now he is focused and able to APPLY himself to whatever he does. Our son himself even says he feels better and can focus so much better!

So, for the record, this isnt bad parenting, too much activity, too much sugar, too much boxed food, too much ANYTHING. Simply put, we are doing what is best for OUR son, and I can sleep at night knowing we tried MANY avenues before deciding to medicate him. Please do not judge those who medicate their kids for the right reasons!!!!

• Shawna says

Jeni,

I believe the goal of this post and the numerous comments is to inform parents that there are other methods to cope with ADHD and other attention disorders besides medicating, and while unsaid, the majority of us believe that many people can cope with disorders by natural methods of treatment such as essential oils, taking certain things (gmo’s, artificial food colorings, etc) out of the diet, or other coping techniques. While we believe that natural methods can help many people overcome ADD and ADHD, we don’t doubt that in some cases, these methods won’t help and medication is necessary.

My personal belief, not only in many mental health scenarios, but also physical health and general well-being is that man-made drugs should be the last option. I believe that many times eating a well-rounded diet of natural foods with little to no processing involved, getting sufficient physical and mental exercise, and having healthy relationships with those around us can prevent quite a few problems. But I also acknowledge that sometimes you can do everything as perfectly as you know how, and still get sick or have a disorder of some sort, and medication is the only option.

It sounds like you love your son very much and explored numerous options and did your homework before you made the decision to include medication in his routine. I respect you as a mother and as a peer for caring so much for your son and doing what you believe is best for him- that is all that any of us can do for our families. I would hope that anyone reading this post and the comments would be like us in that we are simply looking for solutions to problems that many of us face in everyday life.

I don’t believe anyone here intended to give the impression that we believe parents that choose to use medication for themselves or their children are bad parents. Nor do we place blame for conditions like ADHD or ADD on one factor, so many of us realize there is no one-size-fits-all solution to these problems. But when someone comes across a solution that works for them, its hard to not be so excited that they want to share it with the world! Jillee has done just that by sharing this with us, and I’m sure everyone who has commented was doing the same thing- sharing what has worked for them.

I too struggle with my youngest son over his schoolwork. I have discussed the possibility of ADD with his teachers and school psychologist in the past, and while they thought there was a chance he might have ADD, the family doctor at the time was also wishy-washy and we never received a diagnosis of anything. He will be going to middle school next year, and I’m scared to death that he won’t be able to handle the responsibility that middle school brings- right now he has a hard enough time remembering to bring his homework home, to write down what his homework is, to study his spelling words, to take things back to school, to turn things in… and all the while his dad and I are constantly reminding and nagging him.

I have tried giving him a time and space after school to sit down to work on his homework where I can keep an eye on him and he doesn’t have televisions or radios or other outside disturbances to distract him. I have tried turning his spelling words into cross words and word searches to make studying them fun. We have tried disciplining him by grounding him from different things, hoping that one of his ‘losses’ would motivate him to work harder. We have been cooking at home more and eating out less. The boxed mac and cheese and other boxed meals are almost entirely out of our diets (mac and cheese and hamburger helper is used in our dinners MAYBE once a month at the most). Other than what is used in my homemade breads, there is no sugar in his diet that isn’t natural (no artificially sweetened drinks, no sodas, no candy, etc).

My biggest dilemma is getting him to eat more than proteins and carbs. The only vegetables he will willingly eat are green beans and corn, and that depends on how they are fixed. And I can’t get him to try any fruits. We vary the vegetable we have with dinner each night, and he gets a little bit of veggies on his plate regardless of whether he likes them or not (usually only a couple of bites)- just to get him accommodated to eating a more varied diet, but it’s a battle every night.

I haven’t tried essential oils yet, as money is extremely tight (we’re a family of four living on $456 a week), nor have I tried too many other methods besides a few different coping techniques and adjusting the family’s diet some.

Anyone who has any ideas they’d like to share on homework/studying techniques or ways to get picky eaters to eat a larger variety of foods, by all means, please let me know!!!

• Murphy says

Here are a few tips to sneak in veggies and help kids grow into veggie eaters that have worked FOR US. Hope some of them work for you!
        1. Set a good example (I’m sure you are already doing this.) Both parents eat a variety of veggies, discuss favorite veggie dishes, favorite prep style, complement each other’s veggie cooking. (see tip 7.) Mention veggies ‘in season’. ‘Try ‘em now while they are at their best.
        2. Remember that tastes and preferences change as they get older. ‘Oh, ok, you haven’t grown into asperagus yet, ok, we’ll try again next season.’
        3. When they eat at a friend’s house, they will usually be polite and try something. My daughter (13) has almost grown into a spinach eater this way. She eats it anywhere except at home. She’s still growing on it. Last week, she even ate a few bites of her brother’s spinach pizza.
        4. During kitchen prep, have a pile for snagging for thru traffic. During no-growth spurts, I have found that is a good time for veggies, since the tummies are too small for meat and veggies at the same meal. Allow grazing! Even cooled, steamed caulifower and broccoli, with an approved dip.
        4. Use the grater, food processor, and stick anything into spaghetti sauce, noodle casserole, potato pancakes (great with other white veggies like parsnips, Jerusalem artichokes, that are so nice and cheap at my farmer’s market in the winter).
        5. Serve salad, salad bar style. After filling the bowl with the favorites, a few other colors for pretty will be the child’s own choice. Use serving bowls on the table, and let the children decide on the amount (after the ‘bite for taste’ if you want to continue that.) If they are still hungry when the last piece of chicken is gone, they will take some more.
        6. Have a bit of trust that if you really are limiting access to unhealthy snacks and doing the above, they will instinctively develop a taste for veggies. Give positive attention to good choices, do Not stress about how long it takes. Do not make veggies a battle ground.
        7. If your spouse had a less healthy background, discuss the plan in private with him/ her, and say you could really use the back up here. If you are worried about your partner’s health, too, mention it if you must (manipulation is not pretty), but again there trust, and emphasize it is a parenting issue that is important to you.
        8. Keep cooking your own favorites as well, not just those the family likes.

• Allison Pryor says

If you have issues getting your child to eat adequate fruits and veggies every day, try Juice Plus+. You may find a distributor in your area, and if not email me and I will be happy to help you. A cost-effective way to add nutrition from fruits and vegetables to the diet without a daily battle to eat all of them!

• Liz says

Anna & Jeni- Rose- Thank you for being so brave in sharing your stories. ADHD is a hot topic for sure. I am adult in my 40′s also living with ADHD, and at times is has taken a toll in EVERY aspect in my life since I can remember at times creating utter choas. I was a “day dreamer” in elementary school, overly social in High School. I have started and stopped more things that I can count. All because of my inability to remain on task and staying engaged and interested, but never was diagnosed until my child was.

Then my oldest child started to struggle in 3rd grade (8.5), exactly as I did but the difference is that my child is a boy, and boys tend to be more hyper than girls. We struggled as a family that school year. I finally took him to a doctor and he was diagnosed. Then the doctor asked me if there was a family history, that this is often genetic and I broke down right there and told him my story. My child’s experience had me reliving my own nightmare, sad to say I am still scarred from that school year. I never really recovered in the eyes of my peers, I was the weird one who had to sit by herself facing the wall :(. He would cry on my shoulder, then I would have to leave the room so I would not cry in front of him. His doctor told me that I should be seen too, that I needed to get my symptoms under control for his sake (and mine), I could not effectively help him manage his symptoms if I was all over the place. I spoke with a very dear friend of mine, and when I confided in her, she told me that as she got to know me, she saw the same things and was trying to figure out how to approach me. So I took the step for treatment and glad I did.

We tried dietary changes, we tried herbal remedies, I tried giving him coffee in the morning, tea at lunch. It just did not work. Medication was our last resort.

I wish for both of our sakes we had gone that route sooner. We saw a change in our child almost immediately. He was for the first time in his life speaking to us in complete sentences that were coherent because his brain had slowed down enough for him to be able to communicate his thoughts. He did not get frustrated with me because I was not understanding what he was trying to tell me. He could also write in complete coherent sentences….He wasn’t the weird kid on the flag football team flapping his arms like a bird turning circles on the field because it took too long for the ball to snap.

He went from c’s to straight a’s this year. I told him that medication or not, you have to have the underlying intelligence to be able to work hard and achieve straight a’s. The school actually started this journey with testing because of his communication skills and troubles in school from the academics to behavioral to social. Through the special ed testing we found he is highly intelligent (they did an IQ test) but performing no where near his potential (and below grade level) but no learning disability.

He has blossomed from a down on himself borderline depressed child to one that now BELIEVES he is smart, BELIEVES he has something to offer. What was devastating, because he has always had one of the biggest, kindest hearts of anyone I have ever known. He told me all the time last year how “dumb” he was. He tells me how much better he feels, how much calmer he feels how much more confident he feels. He still has “break through” especially in the evenings and early mornings and maybe those are the times the oil may come in handy for us. We can really see it too, he has zero impluse control.

Bottom line is this, there are children and adults who truly need these treatments. Our doctor told me, “you give him an inhaler for his asthma, giving him the medication to treat this condition is no different.” He is right. Because of his asthma I have found this site. I already cooked mostly from scratch, but I was looking for ways to cut down on the toxic chemicals in our house.

Thank you Jillie for this post, this site…You have made a big impact in our lives, and our lives are richer for it….. I can clean when my son is home and NOT have his inhaler out and ready for use!

• Kristin says

Hi Liz!
        My gosh, our stories are so similar! You’re a great mother for helping your son the way you did. So many are afraid to give thier child this label, then they struggle through life not understanding what’s wrong. Like us!
        My son, now 13, ADHD & Tourette’s SURVIVOR! I say that because we won’t let those diagnoses define who he truely is as a person. He’s amazing for qualities outside those ADHD & Tourette’s walls. Our son too has the thoughts running so fast that he can’t speak the words fast enough. It’s getting better as he gets older, no more tantrums because he can’t “get it out”. Sometimes still as a teen it takes him time to get his thoughts to roll off his tongue into words & it kills me but I think to myself ” I’m/we’re blessed that he can live a normal life, walk, talk, joke & be silly. Others aren’t so lucky”. That’s when I count my blessings!
        We also did all natural first, diet, no artificial anything, stopping wheat & dairy, adding magnesium etc… then tried all the types of patches & meds( which we were dead against) but felt we had to help him. Some worked for a short time but there was always a problem with it making him tired, giving him a belly ache, nausea, not being hungry at all. For a growing boy, this worried us. My husband was always reluctant to take the child out of the child, we were at odds ALL the time about weather or not tocontinue the meds. So we would stop & restart, on & off for about 5 years! Exhausting! And now from reading your post I think omg he gets this from me. I’m an undiagnosed ADHD parent. As you can probably tell my thoughts are ALL OVER the place :)
        Although school has been a challenge, we found that educating & working with the teachers on my son’s issues helped tremendously. As much as I hated having to conference with one of them every week when he started middle school. Having 7 different teachers meant seven different teaching styles & routines that we had to deal with, so communicating back & forth was key. Now that he’s 13 he’s telling us he can focus without the meds, not really, but he hates the side effects. We don’t force him to take the meds but do implement methods to make up for the lack of focus. Not writing assignments down or completing classwork is a big problem for him as well as lack of attention in class( which you know you cant tell someone w/ADD or ADHD to do). I let him make the no med choice & remind him that if he doesn’t have something written in his agenda for each class he’ll be walking back to each one at the end of the day to do it, that seems to work, for now :) At the same time he’s learning to be more responsible for himself. I was told “be his advocate”, so I am, full force. As exhausting as it is sometimes, this is the way God made our children & us. So, we just listen to the advice, take & use what we feel is best & pray it works! Good luck to you and your son, you’re not alone!

• katie says

I’ve been recently diagnosed, and am still trying to figure everything out. In trying to research how to deal with ADHD, I read that as a high school/college student it would be a good idea to have a friend take notes for you. I know I could never focus enough in school to take notes because if I wasn’t looking at the professor/power point I wasn’t paying attention. I did find that I could take notes on my laptop, since I didn’t have to look down to type. It worked really well when the professor made his/her power point available online so I could download it to my laptop and take notes on that. Just wanted to share what worked with me in case it would help somebody else. I did have to be extremely strict with myself to stay offline and away from games, so with some a laptop might be too distracting.

I can’t tell you how much it encourages me to hear of parents listening to their child’s feelings about medicine and letting him cope with it in his own way. While I am on medication myself, I never want to suggest medicine to my students’ parents because while most parents care about their children, they don’t always pay attention to the negative affects it may have on their child. Like other brain styles, what works wonders for one child with ADHD makes a zombie out of another.

• jenny says

Thank You for your response. I have two boys with ADHD. As you stated we tried everything before meds. We ended up using medications & it is like night and day. I am tired of people blaming bad parenting. One son is 18 and graduating in May my other son is 16 both have done well in school, have grown to be taller than both my husband and myself and are wonderful people. Parents need to be supportive of each other, not critical. Thank You,

• Ellen says

Actually, its NOT unthinkable in public schools. We were bombarded by the principal, the school counselor, the 1st grade teacher and the school nurse in a meeting about our son when he was entering 1st grade. All of them ganged up on us and insisted he be taken to a doctor to get meds. The doctor wisely demanded a documented log of his disruptive behavior before prescribing.
      After all was said and done, he was diagnosed with mild ADD, not ADHD and it was found out that the teacher (of only 2 years) had had complaints filed against her by over half the parents of students in her class, 8 sets of parents out of 15 students.
      Although my son is now 20 and in college, he still feels the need to use Adderall. I can’t help but think that if alternative methods of teaching had been used early on, he might have developed better study skills and a better way of coping than with drugs. Now as an adult, it is increasingly more difficult to get his medication due to it being a controlled substance.
      It’s so easy to say “follow your instincts” but with our only child, there were no other kids to compare to and it was pretty much impossible to know who is right when 4 authority figures gang up on you.

So Jillee, does this oil work well on adult ADD?

• Caroline says

Calliope, I’m french and live in Ireland. ADHD is very much recognised in Ireland, where there is a lot of talk about its being over diagnosed and over medicated.
      My 7 year old son has been ‘diagnosed’, I used ” because the whole process is a problem in itself. The list of side effects is atrocious and worrying, half of them being behaviour you want to help your child stop, not get worse, the rest being really nothing short of a threat to your child’s health. We said no, because frankly while he is a challenge for us, its not constant. And because we don’t want him to be drugged unless he really needs it. And because of the side effects. His teacher and helpers were shocked that this was presented to us as the only option and nearly forced upon us and him. He is lucky that he goes to an ‘Educate Together’ school where each child is given an equal chance and nurtured and supported in reaching his or her potential. They have the chance to have several small group workshop during the week where the children work on specific areas that they might have difficulties with. Through this I found a lot depends on the teacher, their experience and attitude. Which you or your child can’t control. We don’t eat a lot of processed foods, we have no more family issues than the next family with young children, getting a lot of exercise makes him so much more difficult to handle because he doesn’t know how to calm down. We are now looking into private diagnostic and care to get help with behavioural technics but this costs money we haven’t got.
      It is not so commonly diagnosed in France, where they seem to regard it as some american whatnot while acknowledging there is something in some children that isn’t ‘bad behaviour’ because they simply can’t help themselves.
      It is very difficult to get reliable information on this either way. I know I have used lavender oil at night before and he even asks for it when he gets worried he won’t be able to sleep. Why should he worry he won’t be able to sleep? He eats proper food, gets fresh air, has a bedtime routine, he knows the rules. But sometimes he just can’t turn himself off. Lucky for us the school’s ethos embraces this and only asked for an official diagnostic so they could get him help hours during the school day to go to those small groups or just get out of the class if it gets too much. It’s a miracle he’s not failing miserably. Or a mis-diagnostic.
      Sorry for going on so much and completely diverging. My pojnt was that I aknowledge your experience, being a special needs teacher, but my exprience as a parent of a ‘ADHD’ child (I’m still not convinced and progress in school this year follows my intuition) I can confirm that it very much is recognised and medicated in at least 2 european countries. And as ‘medication’ goes i’d much rather use one that, although it might not be recognised by ‘mainstream’ medical professionals, doesn’t have side effects like anxiety, agressivity (which are our problems in the first place), sleeplessness, loss of appetite, tachicardia!

• Joke Vermanen says

@ calliope
      I disagree on your comment. I live in the Netherlands and my nephew had the exact same experience as Jeddy did. The first week he was in the classroom he was sent home because the teacher could not handle him ánd they only would allow him back if he was on medication… (Ritalin/Concerta IS prescribed to children!) and yes he is diagnosed with ADHD but at the age of 4 that diagnosis is very difficult to accomplish. And this was only 3 years ago….
      Yes the school can get extra funding’s but no funding can help a kid with ADHD to be calm and quit in a classroom filled with 30 others who also pick their nose, cough, sneeze and wiggle.
      So he was send to a special needs school which made him away from home from 7 am until 17 pm. And that was it…

But what I am really interested in is if the names of the essential oils mentioned in the blog post are international. I want to find out if I can buy them in the Netherlands, or even Europe because shipping from the US is costing us a lot more than I can afford for 1 bottle of oil.
      I hope to hear about it.

3. Amy says

I found this so interesting but I was wondering what the effects would be on a child that hasn’t been diagnosed and who doesn’t have ADD/ADHD but just a lot of energy and trouble staying focused on tasks….I’ve talked with his pediatrician and teacher and neither think he should be diagnosed. Do you think it would just have a calming affect? My son is 7 and in 2nd grade and he does well academically, for the most part. His teacher’s only concern(if you can call it that) is the he has trouble settling down and finishing tasks….He is not at all disruptive. Thanks so much for the article and info!!!

Hi Amy – just because your child has not been labled with the official diagnosis of ADD or ADHD does not mean that he does not have it. What you described “just a lot of energy and trouble staying focused on tasks” is exactly what ADD / ADHD does to the person. I know first hand my son is almost 30, his pediatrician said the same thing… that he was just a boy and had lots of energy. I had to pursue other opinions as well and they all agreed and diagnosed him with the ADHD. The medicine they put him on changed his ability to stay focused and absorb his lessons. The difference was night and day. HOWEVER had I known then what I know now, I would have definitely tried the essential oil blend. The Medicines that they give to them are nothing more than a “stimulant” or speed if you will. People who suffer from ADD / ADHD react differently to medicines. Medicines that would make us sleepy would make them hyper. Stimulants (including caffiene) slows them down… Just as the lady above stated how caffiene helped her, albeit ever so slightly. Hope this helps :) I personally am going to make a batch of this to try on my granddaughter (my son’s child) she has not been officially diagnosed, but from personal experience I KNOW she has ADD, (not hyper) just cannot focus or retain no matter how many hours of study she does. God Bless you on your journey and hope this helps your little man.

• Ellen says

Christine, you are correct. I too, wish there had been an alternative to speed for my ADD son. He was like night and day with the Adderall and it did NOT turn him into a Zombie which is what convinced me he needed something.

• Kathryn says

My son was never diagnosed,, but he was a very bright and energetic boy. A Sunday school teacher allowed him to pace in the back of the room during class–guess what? He learned more than those who sat and fidgeted. I am forever thankful for that lovely person’s insight. When I began homeschooling him, I also let him pace and planned lots of hands on learning. Today he is a bright young father and enjoying life. he does have one habit . . . his knee is almost always bouncing when he sits. :-) I wish you well.

Kathryn, thanks for that info. I started homeschooling my little boy 8 months ago (he’s almost 4 now), and he was so fidgety. Even just reading to him at night, he canNOT sit still. He has to be moving constantly. I actually stopped homeschooling him for a while because it was so frustrating, however, he absorbed everything I taught. He’s incredibly brilliant. I tried to start up again a couple of months ago, hoping if I moved our “classroom” to a secluded area with little distractions, he might do better. That didn’t work either, and it only lasted a couple of days. But now he’s getting to that pre-school age and I need to hunker down. I’ve been wondering how I homeschool him that is appropriate for his “needs,” if you know what I mean. I need more learning activities that involve hands-on and keeping him active. I am going to try this essential oil mix and see if that helps, too, but if you wouldn’t mind (if you happen to read this) sharing with me the lesson plans you used, or if you have any suggestions for a curriculum that would be beneficial for his type of learning style, I would truly appreciate it! If you’d like to contact me personally, please email me at tristinedenise@live.com. Thanks for your insight!

• Amie says

I home schooled my two sons. While they were not diagnosed with ADHD, I did learn while researching how to teach there are different styles of learning. Some people are physical learners. I had my boys jump on my old mini trampoline while doing memorization type learning, like arthmatic tables. Of course, one at a time. They are now 26 and 24. For these types of learners, memory is enhanced by physical movement while inputting facts. The mini trampoline worked well. They saw it as fun.

These are some wonderful oils by themselves but together they have created something wonderful for our family. It has not only helped ADHD but it has helped with my husbands anxiety attacks. The only way to really know is to try because every person is different. Good luck!

• Shannon says

What does your gut tell you? If you think he should be tested, then seek out those resources and get him tested. Better to test now and help him than never test him and have him suffer long term.
      Best wishes!

• Ellen says

As a mom who does regret caving to meds for my ADD son, I say if he’s learning all the material and doing well, even if he hasn’t been diagnosed, don’t worry! The oils might help him settle down. I don’t think they could be as dangerous as an ADHD RX.

• CarolinaWren says

I left a long reply you might read. There’s a lot of us out here still struggling day in and day out. Be kind to yourself!!

Thank you so much for sharing this information and the recipe for this blend of oils. My daughter has ADD without the hyperactivity and was diagnosed when she was five. She was on medication for a couple of years but she stopped putting on weight and suffered stomach complaints. She struggled through school and as a young adult still finds it very difficult to manage in many ways. I’m considering making up some of this blend for her to see if it makes a difference.
    Once again thanks to you and your sister.
    Anne

5. Carol says

This post made me cry. So happy for Jeddy and his family but if this changes, God forbid, please consider homeschool.

My husband felt the same way about the cost of essential oils, especially when we have the plants in our garden and yard to get the basic oils like lavender. He actually researched it because he is an uber geek he created a still and we distill our oils. This is of course expensive because of the start up…but there are other methods-perhaps if people were taught how to cold press they could work in cooperative settings to create the oils to satisfy common daily use…?