BBQ Chicken Lettuce Wraps

bbq chicken lettuce wraps

Today’s post is technically a “gluten-free” recipe….but I have no doubt it will appeal to a much wider audience than that. This is one of those NGF (Naturally Gluten-Free) recipes that I am so grateful for when I run across them.

Another thing I am grateful for? Meeting and getting to associate with other people who suffer with celiacs disease.

I attended a session yesterday at the SXSW Conference headed up by an author who has written a book called “Gluten Is My B*tch“.

Screen Shot 2013-03-12 at 4.53.57 PM

I apologize to those of you offended by the title…but I think the reason the author uses that language is to get our attention more than anything else. The only reason I bring this up is that it brought home to me how many people are suffering with this issue. The statistics are quite staggering.

• One in 133 Americans have celiac disease.
  • An estimated 3 million Americans across all races, ages and genders suffer from celiac.
  • It is estimated that 85% of Americans who have celiac disease are undiagnosed or misdiagnosed with other conditions.

As frustrating and discouraging as those statistics are…I take comfort in the fact that my son was diagnosed during a day and age when so many gluten-free options are available.

bbq chicken lettuce wraps 2

Including this recipe for BBQ Chicken Lettuce Wraps that I ran across on Blissful and Domestic.

This was such a delicious and easy recipe and is a great option for anyone…..gluten-free or not! :-)

bbq chicken lettuce wraps 3

BBQ Chicken Lettuce Wraps

Place 3-4 chicken breasts in a slow cooker
Pour your favorite BBQ sauce over them.
Cook for 5-6 hours on low.
Shred chicken with two forks. To eat, pile spoonfuls of the chicken mixture into the lettuce leaves, wrapping the lettuce around the filling

nom nom nom.

Share on Facebook11Tweet about this on Twitter2Pin on Pinterest1,221Google+1

Comments

• Jillee says

Yay! We will get this email thing straightened out for EVERYONE eventually! :-) Thanks for being patient!

1. Carolee Luberto says

I just wanted to tell you how much I admire you. I, and I am sure, many others are so happy that you’re in recovery.

These look wonderful! We enjoy pulled pork and this BBQed chicken would work even better since my DH is diabetic! Lettuce has to be better than a hamburger bun! Thank you!!! :)

3. KimH says

This looks great.. I dont ever think about putting bbq on chicken though I love it.. Thanks for the great idea..

I have a huge gluten sensitivity though I dont test positive for celiac, but I definitely react to it with massive joint & muscle pain..its difficult for others to understand what it does to me… Life is way way better without it.. so I appreciate your gluten free posts.. Thanks again!

4. Julie Lauzon says

Everyday I enjoy your blog and have made a lot of your recipes (laundry,dishwasher,body wash,etc.) You have opened my eyes to lots of new ways to being frugal and environmentaly concious. I have recommended your blog to lots of my family members and friends. Keep up the excellent work!

You can also use rice paper instead off or in combination with the lettuce.

Have a great day!

Julie Lauzon

5. cty says

Sounds great! I always love when you have a dinner recipe; I most always have the ingredients in the house. And now I don’t have to plan dinner–I even have lettuce in the garden ready to pick. Thinking to bring them as appetizers to the St. Patrick’s Day get together in a few days. What a fresh idea.

6. Nadine C. says

Thank you so much for the wonderful blog which I have enjoyed so much. I have made many of your ideas and look forward to trying this Bar-B-Q chicken lettuce wraps! Many thanks! :)

7. Connie says

Perish the thought of prepared barbecue sauce! I know it’s easy, but NEVER trust any prepared sauce to be gluten-free. Get yourself a great recipe for making your own as it is SO easy and delicious. Skip the soy sauce as there is gluten in that (as if you didn’t already know!) and stick to pure, organic ingredients. If you’re diabetic, you can control the tons of sugar in most bottled sauces, too. Just sayin’ !! ;o)

8. kristen says

oh yum! these are the BEST! I add just a touch of blue cheese before wrapping up the lettuce.
    we are two weeks in to being GF and it’s going well. the hard part seems to be lunches (for the kids).

9. Rebekah says

It means washing an extra bowl, but I shred my chicken in the stand mixer. Throw it in while hot with the paddle, and in about a minute on low, it will be perfectly shredded. I’d rather wash the bowl than spend 5 minutes shredding with the forks.