Vegas-Meets-Mississippi Pot Roast

mississippi pot roast

Have you ever had a really weird food craving that you wondered, “Where the heck did THAT come from?!”  Please tell me I’m not alone…lie if you have to. :-)

The other day I had this craving for pot roast. But not just ANY pot roast, I’m talking BUFFET pot roast! You know the kind of pot roast you get in those really good buffets when you’re dining in Vegas? Vegas buffets are the best!  Places like Chuck-a-Rama and Golden Corral (around this neck of the woods anyway!) are pretty good second choices for buffets…but nothing beats Vegas buffets!

vegas buffet

vegas buffet

For some reason whenever I’m at a buffet I’m drawn towards the pot roast and mashed potatoes. It makes absolutely no sense when you think about ALL the good food that is presented. But there ya go…I’m just weird that way. :-).

mississippi pot roast

So when I ran across this tasty-looking recipe for Mississippi Pot Roast on Pinterest the other day, I wondered if I could re-create my Vegas buffet pot roast experience and satisfy my craving! I know what you’re thinking! The two couldn’t possibly be farther apart…but my CRAVINGS didn’t know that, so I figured I’d give it a try. :-)

pepperoncini

Unfortunately, when I went to make it and take photos I failed to notice that the recipe called for pepperoncini (which is pretty funny because I mean really, how does one MISS that ingredient!?) so I made it without. But NEXT time I am absolutely going to include it! I am certain it puts this dish over the top.

I call this my “Vegas-Meets-Mississippi Pot Roast” :-)

Vegas-Meets-Mississippi Pot Roast

Ingredients

• 1 3 lb chuck roast
  • 1 packet of dry Ranch dressing mix
  • 1 packet of dry Au Jus mix
  • 1 stick of butter
  • 5 - 6 pepperoncini

mississippi pot roast

mississippi pot roast 4

mississippi pot roast 5

Directions

Place roast in crockpot and sprinkle Ranch dressing mix and Au Jus mix on top. Top with 1 stick of butter cut into chunks. Cook in the crockpot on low for 6 to 8 hours. When it is done, remove the meat from the crockpot and place in on a plate and cover. Pour the remaining liquid in a saucepan on the stove, bring it to a boil, and add a mixture of cornstarch and water (or flour and water) to thicken it. Shred the meat and serve with the gravy on top.

mississippi pot roast

mississippi pot roast 2

Well, well, well….I’ll be tarred and feathered! This was GOOD!! Now I don’t have to go all the way to Vegas to have a Vegas buffet pot roast!

Share on Facebook39Tweet about this on Twitter3Pin on Pinterest1,085Google+3

Comments

1. Lauren Ryszka says

I usually make this roast 2-4 times a month. My whole family (husband and 4 kids) loves it. It’s even better the next day (believe it or not)! We have rice with ours and some fresh Italian bread. Quick, easy and satisfying. What could be better, right? The pepperoncini really make this dish. I add 4 and it gives it just the right amount of heat.

2. Judith Jones says

I will try this soon. Wanted to tell you about how I fix a similar roast, Just put a chuck roast in the crockpot. Pour over 1 can beer and 1 jar Pepperocini or salad peppers. That’s it! Cook on low for 4-6 hours or more. Wonderful!!! We love to slice and put it along with a pepper or two on a crusty roll for the best sandwich.

3. Deborah G. says

Can’t wait to try this! I was wondering what to make for Sunday dinner…now I know. Thanks Jillee!

4. Marsha M. SOCAL says

This question is for Judith. Do you put the juice from the pepper jar in the crockpot with the peppers and beer?

5. Amy says

I was raised eating our roast with rice, most people around here have never heard of doing that, instead it’s always potatoes and carrots. My kids actually preferr the rice, while I lean towars the other. I don’t think they would enjoy the pepperoncini’s they don’t like anything spicy (maybe in a french dip). It is also really nice that we raise our own beef and have meat in our freezer all the time. We know what they have been fed and if they have had any antibiotics or not.

6. Cheryl says

That was my question too! Is there any liquid that goes in the crockpot along with the roast and the seasonings? :) Thanks…

7. cheryl kerspilo says

I got this recipe from another site and she said she usually uses mild pepper rings because they disintegrated during cooking and her family wouldn’t see them. Her family doesn’t like peppers of any kind and this way she got the full flavor without them noticing. I can’t wait to try this.

For top flavor in a pot roast you should sear all the sides of the meat in a pan with some oil or butter to get that caramelizing brown goodness before you add it to the slow cooker.

9. Teri says

I found this recipe about a year ago and was afraid to try it because I can’t eat anything hot. I finally did, and it was so good! It is not hot, it’s just flavorful. I don’t cut up the butter, I just sit the whole stick on top of the roast. Also, instead of au jus, my recipe calls for brown gravy mix. One of my favorite recipes! I haven’t made it in a while. Guess I’ll have to make it tomorrow now, lol…

10. KimH says

Looks and sounds delightful! Thanks for sharing! Just might have to have this for dinner tomorrow.. ;)