3 Homemade Skin Care Recipes Featuring…HONEY!

honey skin care

I LOVE Honey!! I do! I love to eat it…I love to cook with it…and I love to put it on my face. :-) (Which sometimes happens when I eat it too…but not intentionally!)

Earlier this week I wrote a blog post at Blendtec about a Honey-Almond Face Scrub I recently “cooked up”. While I was working on that, I decided to try a few more skin care treatments using honey because…well…I LOVE honey! :-) No seriously….honey is an incredible substance!

It acts as a humectant, which means it attracts and preserves water which aids in skin hydration. It’s also beneficial for acne prone skin because it inhibits the growth of bacteria, reducing the chance of breakouts. I told you…pretty incredible stuff.

One thing I’m not very good about using, but would like to be better at, is a facial TONER. I had no idea there were so many benefits to using a toner until I looked into it. Here are just a few:

• Cleaner skin
  • Re-balances acid mantle
  • Reduces oil output
  • Smaller-looking pores
  • Aids in the application of other products

honey cucumber toner

This recipe for a Cucumber-Honey Toner sounded SO refreshing I thought I would give it a whirl.

Cucumber-Honey Toner

Ingredients

1 cucumber
2 teaspoons honey

honey cucumber toner

Puree the cucumber in a blender, strain and collect the juice.

honey cucumber toner

Add 2 teaspoons of honey and mix.

honey cucumber toner

Pour the mixture into a bottle. Apply on the face and neck area with a cotton pad in the morning and at night. Air dry it and rinse clean. Store the bottle covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.

After I’d made the honey SCRUB and honey TONER, I figured I might as well complete the facial trifecta and make a honey MASK while I was at it. I had an apple sitting on my counter so I decided to work with that.

honey apple mask

After a little research I discovered apples contain Vitamin A and Vitamin C, both of which are very good for your skin (well, OK, I already knew that). Apples also contain a compound called malic acid, a type of alpha hydroxy acid, which is popular in acne treatments because it helps slough off dead skin and open clogged pores. (Now THAT I didn’t know!)

Apple-Honey Face Mask

Ingredients

1 apple
1 tablespoon honey

honey apple mask

In a blender or food processor, combine 1 roughly chopped apple with a tablespoon of honey and pulse until smooth.

honey apple mask

Apply mixture to face and allow it to stay for on for 15 minutes, then rinse.

honey skin care

All three of these skin care recipes using honey made my face feel so good after using them, and there’s just something about using ingredients straight from Mother Nature that makes them feel even better.

It’s just hard to go wrong starting with one of nature’s most perfect substances….HONEY! :-)

I hope you will give them a try and tell me what you think!

Share on Facebook525Tweet about this on Twitter42Pin on Pinterest5902Google+14

Comments

1. Vicki Di says

We have our very own bee hives and Honey is an amazing natural product!
    In my opinion, it’s natures best secret. I can’t wait to make these homemade recipes!
    I don’t see the recipe for the almond honey scrub?

2. Ayshela says

“Earlier this week I wrote a blog post at Blendtec about a Honey-Almond Face Scrub I recently “cooked up”. While I was working on that, I decided to try a few more skin care treatments using honey because…well…I LOVE honey! :-) No seriously….honey is an incredible substance!”

The link to the honey-almond face scrub is in that paragraph. Granted with the different coloured text all through it’s harder to see, but if she’s mentioning a blog post about an item the item is probably a link.

As for the cucumber being peeled or not – look at the pic of the smushed (yes, that’s a technical term… heh) cucumber in the blender. Looks to me like the darker bits are the peel, and that cucumber juice is definitely the colour of the peel (which is usually where most of the vitamins and good stuff hide) so I’d say leave the peel on.

3. Myrna Fanney says

If you pay attention to detail you will notice that the first recipe is found when you click on the hi-lighted Honey-Almond Face Scrub. It’s in the second paragraph. Thanks Jillee! :)

4. josie exner says

thanks for the recipes. My husband and i are beekeepers and it has become a great 2nd job. Check the label and buy local honey. Call your extension office in your town if you don’t know anyone. Know your food, Know your Farmer!! You’re the best, can’t wait till tomorrow!

5. Cherelyn says

I use organic, raw, unprocessed honey. It is not liquid. Will that work? And, am I reading correctly – the toner only lasts a week? And may I ask where you get those cute little glass containers :)!!! Thanks for the receipies.

6. Angela says

Is there a recipe for moisturizer using honey? My husband is going thru a round of meds on his face that basically pull any precancers up so now his face will be healing. thanks

• Lisa N says

As with most Toners, you usually wash your face and neck first, then toner, then moisturizer.
      I would wash first because then you’ve removed all the dirt and crude of the day off before toning the skin and getting the pores to shrink.

7. Ivy says

Just a reminder, that all of the great benefits that you like about honey are only available in Raw Unpasteurized honey. The stuff in the stores has been heated & processed, killing off all the magical properties. Find a local Beekeeper and use fresh unpasteurized honey.

8. cty says

How many ounces does the cucumber one make? Looks like 4 oz or so.
    Wondering–if the cucumber toner was made into ice cubes would it still be effective That would be a great way to preserve it.

The apple one sounds like it would be great on Jillee’s English Muffin Bread.

9. alyse says

fist i want to say i LOVE this page and thank you for putting this info out there for people to share . i have cystic acne caused by hormones ahh the joys of being a woman lol n e way i found that using apple cider vinegar as an astringent and honey and milk as a mask has worked wonders for my skin i just take about 1 tsp of the vinegar and rub over my face w a cotton ball after that i take some honey and milk mix it in a small bowl until its a med thick paste and i apply and leave on till it starts to tighten about 10 -m 15 mins then i wash off w a lil bit of baby soap and my face looks and feels amazing milk and honey both have anti microbial properties and so does vinegar as you already know also reduces redness and inflimation

Wow! Those look great! I love putting on natural body product that smell heavenly! It makes me very disciplined in my daily regime. I will definitely try them. As a matter of fact, I have some organic honey on the way in the mail…great timing!

11. SamihaK says

My skin is really acne prone and oily during the summer. So what i usually make a mask using honey, apple and powdered oats. I know that you’ve seperated the oats and honey and oats and apple into two seperate masks but the combo of all three is amazing! My skin always feels so smooth after!

12. Susan H says

Hi Jillee,
    These look awesome! Nice small quantities too so they won’t go to waste in a few days or a week. My daughter and I want to have a mini home spa day. :)
    Quick question- do you think you could use these two days or a few days in a row? Like you mix up a batch and you use it everyday till its gone…would that be too harsh? Should we try every other day? I wasn’t sure if you tried that or not.
    Either way I am excited to make all three. Thank you!

I’ve used honey scrubs before, but never one with apple. Sounds lovely :)
    I’m guessing that the honey acts as a preservative of sorts and this doesn’t go bad too quickly and keeps for awhile in the little mason jar.

I had heard from many people that there were ways you could make your own scrubs and other facial products but I never tried it for myself. Seeing your recipes though I can’t believe how easy these are. There are only a few ingredients (unlike the store ones which have tons) and they’re all natural and healthy rather than acids and other products that can actually hurt your skin. I have to say that I really love honey too and my favorite way to eat it is probably on biscuits so the idea of yet another way to use a food I love is great. Thanks for the great tip.

15. Rosie says

For the cucumber honey toner, once I apply it can i leave it overnight and apply my usual facial moisturizer or I have to rinse it off before applying my moisturizer ? Thanks

Today, I went to the beach front with my children.
    I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and
    said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She placed the shell to her ear
    and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear.
    She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is entirely off topic but I had to tell someone!

I’ve a WordPress blog with Arras theme. This site strangely shows different on different computers. On some computers, I see all 3 columsn, on other PC, I see only 1. On other PCs, some wiered things. Please somebody help me..

Please let me know if you’re looking for a author for your weblog.
    You have some really good articles and I believe I would be a good asset.

If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d absolutely love to write some articles for
    your blog in exchange for a link back to mine.
    Please send me an email if interested. Cheers!

Finding the right house for your family means finding the best nest will help you to take
    care of your kids better. The company promotes empowerment
    by spending lavishly on research and development, encouraging technical employees to spend 15 percent of their work time on research projects of
    their choice and promoting a culture of cooperation that transcends department boundaries.
    Getting the services of Long Distance Moving Company make
    your moving easy and very much less taxing.

Advanced Plastic Surgery is here to celebrate beauty with
    its state of the art facilities and innovative services such
    as dermabrasion, BOTOX Cosmetic, body surgeries, and the latest Vi – Peel.
    Interestingly enough, pictures of her as a younger woman show that she’s adorable, and post surgery she
    is just beautiful. There is one error: the sentence “The heir who wins the windfall will be the one who finds the.

Have you ever thought about publishing an e-book or
    guest authoring on other sites? I have a blog centered on the same subjects you discuss and would love
    to have you share some stories/information. I know
    my viewers would value your work. If you’re even remotely interested, feel free to shoot
    me an email.

If you have a business which is located in New York City and your advertising is focused in the New York area,
    try experimenting with sending ad copy thought social media to New Jersey as well.
    For instance, on Facebook you can create a poll,
    unlike most sites. Do not be afraid of some good arists
    mainly because they convey more success right now.
    But there’s still time to catch up and transform your ‘anti-social’ business into
    a social networking success by implementing basic techniques to get your
    business in the groove. Narrow your search by categories or use the “Twellowhood” to find people based
    on location. Fb also has the tools that you need to use to effectively market
    your services in addition to your website. Getting your site known and listed on directories
    can help in numerous ways:. Internet search engines are already continually working on their specific sets of rules and specifications concerning search positions, and so successes relating
    to online business seemed to be directly related to search
    engine standings. I built a training and consulting business that does
    business in over 20 countries, because of social media and the internet.
    The way in which a social media strategy is implemented and monitored can go
    a long way in determining its overall effectiveness.