Homemade “Shout” {Revised}

homemade shout

The title of this post might be a little misleading because my actual “recipe” for Homemade “Shout” remains the same, but the DELIVERY method has changed. :-) (CLICK HERE for the original post.) So this isn’t officially a whole “new” post today, but since I am working towards making Sunday a NON-post day, I figured I could get away with this.

It was actually a comment made by Kristen on yesterday’s post about How To Avoid Detergent Overdose that inspired today’s “non-post”. She asked if the squeeze bottle in the picture of my laundry cabinet was filled with my homemade “shout” solution because she was having problems with hers clogging her SPRAY bottle.

While the squeeze bottle she was referring to was not filled with “shout”, but rather with homemade gel bleach, her comment reminded me of something that many people have suggested to me in the past about using the homemade shout.

I personally haven’t had much of a problem with the homemade shout clogging my spray bottle, and the few times I have, all I’ve had to do is run the spray nozzle under hot water and it takes care of the problem. BUT, there have been plenty of people complaining that it IS a problem for them. One of the ways people have handled it is by doing exactly what Kristen mentioned…putting it in a squeeze bottle.

homemade shout 3

Since I was running low on my homemade shout, I decided to make up a new batch and try out the squeeze bottle method.

homemade shout 2

I added all the ingredients to this quart-sized mason jar and gave it a good shake, then poured it into the bottle. The rest I will just keep stored in the mason jar until needed.

homemade shout 4

Then I searched for an appropriate stained item to try it out on. Unfortunately (fortunately?) it didn’t take long to locate one in my house. This white t-shirt that SOMEONE had spilled Diet Coke on would do nicely as a test subject.

Results? The squeeze bottle worked VERY nicely for the application of the “shout”. My only caution would be that it’s very easy to “overdose” using this method vs. the spray bottle, so just keep that in mind during the application process. Otherwise you’ll be going through a LOT more than necessary and then the savings of making your own would be negligible. :-)

But for those having problems with the homemade “shout” clogging…this is the perfect solution!

Happy “shouting”…and happy Sunday!

Share on Facebook131Tweet about this on Twitter7Pin on Pinterest4,761Google+7

Comments

I have a thought that maybe someone has already brought to your attention, or to your readers attention, but maybe the reason why some people are having problems with the spray bottle clogging might be because the baking soda wasn’t absorbed completely?

I would suggest maybe making the 2 cups of water hot to start with, mix the baking soda in with it in a separate bowl and stir until thoroughly dissolved, THEN pour that mixture in with the ammonia and Dawn. Hopefully then we wouldn’t haven an issue with some of the left over baking soda clumps messing up the spray nozzle?

That’s how I’m going to try this whole shpeel anyway. :)

2. Susan says

I just use an old Suave conditioner bottle – I have plenty from making fabric softener!

3. cty says

Certainly, after yesterday’s post the last thing we want is to use too much. Perhaps a way to stop “Shout” overdose is to get a squeeze bottle that is a cut the tip yourself cap. Like the ones that come with hair dye. I have never had a gray hair; I am just investing the dyes in case it ever happens to someone I know;)

4. Ruthie says

Hi Jillee and the Jilleetes,

I initially found your website last year when a friend sent me the link for your citrus enzyme cleaner. Love it….

I had made some of my own cleaners before that.

I love the look of your website, so here’s the my wish ~ challenge.

Seeing as you have so many cleaner recipes for folks to make on their own, how about templates for labels to go with those fabulous recipes?

Have you ever thought of that before and just needed a little nudge from Ruthie in Connecticut!!!!

Thanks, Jilleee.

5. Kristen says

This is perfect timing! I just ran out of your homemade shout today. I made some more but was worrying about the sprayer clogging. I’m so excited to try this.. Thanks for answering my question! Where did you get those bottles?

6. Hevz says

Jillee,

I have just started this past January making my own laundry products. I too had issues with the baking soda crystallizing and clogging the spray bottle. However, I realized that my basement (where my laundry room is located) is not heated. I wondered if the cold was adding to the problem so after I made up a new batch I started keeping my stain remover upstairs and I haven’t had any issues with the sprayer clogging since. Every once in a while I have to run the nozzle under some hot water because of build up, but besides that my sprayer works great now. Just thought I would share. I hope this helps others with the clogging issue who don’t want to risk overdosing with the squirt bottle method.

7. Tammi says

I’ve also had trouble with my spray bottle getting clogged but I figured the culprit was the baking soda clumps at the bottom. I mixed mine up and immediately used it but after it sat for a while I noticed the baking soda had turned into “rocks” at the bottom of my bottle. :( What did I do wrong???

• Hevz says

Is your laundry room located in a non-heated room like a basement, garage, or mud room? Mine is and I also had issues with the baking soda crystallizing. After I made a new batch I started storing it in my kitchen and I haven’t had issues with crystallizing since. Hope this helps!

8. Ssarah says

I’ve tried (i’m not kidding) 6 different spray bottles on the home-made “Shout” and can not get it to spray. Hot water (even boiling) to dissolve the baking soda or not, it will.not.spray. So I resorted to using a drink bottle with a pop-up lid. I can open the lid just a tiny bit, or all the way, to control the flow, and it really works out well. Love the “Shout” recipe Jillee!

9. Liz C. says

Thank u! I use many of your cleaning recipes and tips and never had a problem, so when I went thru about ten spray bottles the first week or two, I thought I was doing something wrong! Months later, and I was having luck with a heavy duty sprayer from a car parts store, but it bit the dust too. Love the spray bottle idea and the keeping it warm idea. Thanks everyone!