The Fragrant Pharmacy

fragrant pharmacy

I have the distinct honor (and horror) of being in New York City this week. It’s a LONG story…one I will explain more about soon….but in the meantime I am privileged to have some amazing guest posts lined up while I am away.

First up to bat…..my sister Rebecca who blogs about Essential Oils at Camp Wander. As many of you will know…I am a huge fan/advocate of essential oils in general, and am thrilled to have Rebecca sharing her considerable knowledge with us.

Take it away Rebecca….

fragrant pharmacy 2

The Fragrant Pharmacy

You will find nature in one of its most powerful forms, the essence and life-force of plants can be found in what we commonly refer to as, essential oils. Essential oils are derived from flowers, trees, grasses, leaves, roots and fruits. Their powerful properties are indispensable to medicine, food and cosmetic manufacturers. Western medicine continually seeks to create chemical copies of essential oils because of their extremely effective and complex medical system.

All single essential oils have many properties, a good example of this is Peppermint.

Peppermint is an anti-inflammatory and used to treat muscle aches and pains like arthritis and headaches. It’s actually prescribed by doctors to relieve digestive issues, a prescription medicine called Colperin.

Peppermint is also used by candy makers, put in aftershave, and has proven very effective for deterring mice, spiders and ants!

Once you begin to use essential oils in your daily routine you can’t help but be impressed with their ability to operate on a cellular, physical, emotional, intellectual, spiritual and aesthetic level. Yes, it’s true, a bottle of pure EO can be spendy but, it’s value is long lasting and versatile.

If anything is this world is holistic, it’s essential oils.

fragrant pharmacy 3

These days we’re bombarded by synthetics of all kinds, in every shape and form. Synthetics = chemical based products. Eventually, we’ll have to find alternatives as the consequences of a chemical based lifestyle manifest themselves. Lucky for us, many alternatives are literally right under our nose.

How can you make the change from a Modern Medicine Cabinet to a Natural Medicine Cabinet? Start by assessing what’s in your current collection of over the counter drugs. How can you replace those synthetic products with natural ones? Start simply! Just a few basic essential oils complete with multiple properties can help you make great strides in your wellness journey!

5 essential oils to get you started:

lavender

What can you replace with Lavender?

Neosporin, Elidel, Ambien, Motrin, Aleve, Tylenol, Pepto Bismol, Imodium AD and Solercain.

Apply to soles of feet to sooth anxiety and rest.
Apply topically to a burn to eliminate the pain and speed healing.
*Use internally along with Peppermint and Lemon for a natural antihistamine.
Apply topically to ease the pain of scrapes and bruises, bee stings and bug bites.
Apply topically to relieve headache pain.

Lemon

What can you replace with Lemon?

Children’s Tylenol, Abreva, Throat Lozenges, Mylanta, Tums, Tylenol Cold, Compound W and Dr. Scholl Wart Removers

Add a drop to honey to soothe a dry or sore throat.
Diffuse in room to neutralize odors and elevate mood.
Disinfect kitchen countertops and brighten stainless steel appliances.
Add 2 drops to a glass of water for anti-oxidant and detox properties.
Swipe a little Lemon on each side of a runny nose to dry up symptoms.
Dab on cold or fever blisters to shorten duration.
Apply to warts for gentle and natural removal (great for kids).

What can you replace with Peppermint?

peppermint

Aleve, DayQuil, NyQuil, Tylenol, Tums, Motrin, Prevacid, Alka Seltzer, Claritin, Zyrtec, Mouthwash and Breath Fresheners

Apply to neck and forehead for headache relief.
Combined with Lemon and Lavender to create a powerful antihistamine for allergies mild to severe.
Put 2 drops in small glass of almond milk and drink to stop heartburn in it’s tracks.
Apply to back of neck for cooling effect. To reduce fever, apply Peppermint with carrier oil to torso, apply often. Peppermint can drop fever by 2 to 3 degrees in minutes.
Inhale deeply to invigorate lungs and increase alertness.
Breath freshener!

melaleuca

What can be replaced with Melaleuca?

Neosporin, Chloriseptic, Abreva, Dandruff Shampoos, Rubbing Alcohol, Acne Remedies, Anti-fungal creams, Anbesol

Apply to toenail fungus daily for superior anti-fungal results.
Add 2 to 3 drops to a handful of your favorite shampoo to quell dandruff and scalp issues.
Apply to skin blemishes and rashes as part of a daily treatment routine.
Dab on canker sores to ease the pain and heal.
Apply to feet after showering, swimming or working out to help with athlete’s foot and other fungus. (gym bag must have).
Kills Staph Infection ~ effective against MRSA virus.
Great emergency deodorant!

frankincense

What can be replaced with Frankincense?

Expensive anti-aging skin products, Neosporin, Anti-cancerous properties, Migraine medications, Regenerative products

Combine with Lavender and/or Peppermint for severe headache relief.
Use with a carrier oil for beautiful, radiant skin.
Apply to bottom of feet or 2 to 3 drops under the tongue for strong immunity support.
Use topically or *internally to benefit from it’s anti-cancerous properties.
Diffuse with Lavender for their calming and grounding properties.
An excellent go-to oil for anything! When in doubt, use Frankincense.

*Essential oils can also be used as dietary supplements supporting a variety of healthy conditions. Some essential oils have powerful antioxidant properties while others help support healthy inflammatory response in cells. Many essential oils are generally regarded as being safe for dietary use, but some oils should not be taken internally. Do not use any essential oil product internally that does not have the appropriate dietary supplement facts on its label. Internal remedies are only recommended for use with doTERRA 100% Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade essential oils.

5 oils

Five essential oils to replace dozens of over the counter synthetics, easily transforming your modern medicine cabinet to a natural medicine cabinet. Five essential oils to heal instead of masking symptoms. Five essential oils to enter the body and leave it a more complete and whole vessel, leaving NO toxins behind.

Which medicine cabinet would you choose?

Camp Wander

Facebook75Twitter8Pinterest997Google+3

Comments

1. Amy says

Can you tell me more about using lemon EO to treat warts? I have a toddler who has a small one on his finger- the ped’s recommendation was to freeze it off but that didn’t sit well with my husband or I. What would the process be to treat it with essential oil? Thanks! :)

2. Chris says

I am new yo essential oils,if we grow lavender,peppermint etc., how can we use them and is there a reliable source to read more? Thanks for sharing your knowledge each and every day.

Chris, you can absolutely make your own essential oils but you would need the ability to steam distill and you would want to be sure to grow organically everything organically.

When you have the chance click on Jillee’s link to Camp Wander, you’ll find a wealth of information on essential oils and their uses :))

Essential oils are concentrated. They are about a 1000x stronger then the herb or plant you would grow in your garden. There are many essential oil companies on the market. My preference is doTerra Essential Oils. Just make sure you purchase an oil that is 100% pure. Not synthetic.

I concur Mindy! An essential oil is only as good as it’s purity ~ don’t settle for the health food store variety when treating yourself medicinally as generally you’ll find additives in these essential oils. If the label says “For External Use Only” that’s your clue to it’s purity!

doTERRA is has been in business for 5 years, bringing a new standard to the essential oil market, therapeutic grade oils. Every batch is scientifically tested for purity and potency giving us the ability to use internally. A company and product well worth researching.

3. Lillie T says

This is very useful information, thank you. My question is I have been prescribed an estrogen creme for vaginal dryness which is causing painful urination. Before trying this expensive creme I would like to try something natural. Can you suggest something?

Lillie T – I’m not sure which essential oils you might want to mix with it, but I know that virgin coconut oil (organic, cold-pressed) works excellently for personal lubrication/moisturizing. If you like coconut smell, get unrefined coconut oil… If you don’t like the coconut smell (which really doesn’t last all that long) then you might prefer a refined coconut oil, which has no smell. HTH!

Hopefully someone else can give you best ideas for EOs to add to the coconut oil – though you really don’t need to add anything at all, if you don’t want to. Coconut oil is fabulous for almost all skin care, hair conditioning, makes a great face-wash and make-up remover (for those that wear make-up). It’s also one of the very healthiest oils to use for food preparation to replace other oils/shortenings, etc. Although it is mostly saturated fats, in this case they are a GOOD fat because of their chemical composition being mostly medium-chain fatty acids (beneficial ). Coconut oil is also a natural anti-fungal, anti-biotic, anti-viral, AND anti-oxidant!

4. Lancet says

Can you recommend an all-round good reference book for eo and natural herbs and plants? Also anthing that can work from inside body, or on skin, for random cysts, usually from clogged pores, not requiring surgery or burning off-as they can come back? Thanks! Love all your info. I bookmark or print just about everything!

5. Cindy Fischer says

Can you tell me more about using peppermint, lavender, and frankincense to treat migraines. I suffer with chronic migraines and have not tolerated the preventative drugs such as Topomax well and the drugs to treat an active migraine also have negative side effects. What would the regime be to treat them with essential oils? I would really like to give EO a shot. Thanks!!!

6. jan says

thanks so much for the info….i am loving learning about and using essential oils…..any chance you can recommend something for my daughter to use on my grandaughters eczema? she has tried every otc product there is and nothing has helped yet…..

That’s absolutely correct information, essential oils sold in health food stores should not be taken internally because their purity is compromised by either the additives or the fact that they’ve not been tested for purity ie: pesticides etc.

There’s a new standard now, pure plant essence have healing properties that science cannot mimic therefore western medicine will not promote it because plants can’t be patented.

Thank you for this post. Educating people on EO’s and their amazing healing properties is so important for everyone’s well being. I’ve known about EO’s for sometime because of my workings with plants and herbs but was never convinced about the quality of oils I found in the health food stores. I recently found DoTerra and was hooked. Truly pure oil, no fillers or contaminants I feel secure in using these oil on myself and my family.
    My youngest has seizures and the medication for them weakens his immune system. I’ve been using OnGuard and Breathe to keep him well and cold free. We’ve also added Clary Sage to his daily regiment and his seizures rate has dropped to about 1 a week from 5-7. I expect even more improvement once we get his meds adjusted downwards.
    I highly recommend DoTerras EO’s for anyone with kids or who is concerned with their health and well being. I too have become a consultant so I could help my family and friends. My site is http://www.mydoterra.com/lisanorth and I’m in Oklahoma. Please check it out or Rebecca’s or any of the other wonderful consultants in your area, as this is something that needs to be experienced for words can’t fully explain how oils can instantly change your life.
    Keep up the great work ladies.

8. Kim P says

I too just love this newsletter!! Very informative & Rebecca I check out your site often as well.
    I would like to know what your suggestion would be for very bad eczema on my hands!
    Been there done that with everything on the market so have been reading about the EO on your site,
    but still not quite sure what would be best.

Thanks,

• Lara says

Kim, I have the same problem, and have had fantastic results with a blend I found in a book by kurt Schnaubelt called Advanced Aromatherapy. The blend is under Dry eczema, and the oils were afordable, especially considering how little you actually use for each batch. Now, once i feel the itch starting (I keep a bottle at home & at work) I apply 6 drops and rub into my hands. Stops the eczema in its tracks! My hands are clear and almost always itch free now!
      Thank you so much Rebecca, I too visit your site often, and LOVE this subject!

9. Marsha M. Los Angeles CA says

Hi Rebecca, I am interested on how you would use Frankincense with a carrier for skin care. Do you have a recipe, or suggestion on where I can look to find out how to do this? I have been using organic coconut oil on my skin, but would like to give it a boost or find another way to use oils and things of this nature for my aging,dry skin. Thanks! Marsha

Marsha, using pure EOs, combine equal parts Frankincense, Cypress and Lavender along with one part fractionated coconut oil , organic cold pressed coconut is good too! Use on clean face, before moisturizer OR as your moisturizer :)) This is a wonderful anti-aging essential oil blend!

This article is a word in due season. I’ve also been writing a future blog post about the various uses of different essential oils. I was going to do lavender, peppermint, oregano, and lemon oils.
    LOVE essential oils. Thanks for sharing with Jillee’s readers about how great they are. SO much better than traditional western medications.

11. cty says

There is so much EO information out there to wade through; thank you for breaking it down into some basics.
    I have read a good deal about the oils and pet safety; it is so hard to determine the truth/credibility of the information. Are there health concerns for pets & EOs?

Jillee–not sure what you mean about the “horror” of NYC. I traded the east coast for the west coast and miss NYC the most. Uptown, down town, China town, Lil Italy, Fashion District, Theater District, Museums, Central Park, Time Square, Battery Park, shopping, Macy’s parade, just walking around. So much art & culture. I love the city because it is a great place when you have no money and it is a great place when you have a lot of money.

• Debbie says

I, too, had to move away from NY, though not as far as the West Coast. People who have not been there in a while may remember NYC before it was cleaned up in the Times Square and surrounding area. It is a wonderful place to visit. As anywhere, a visitor must be cautious. I miss the grandeur of NYC!

• Gwyn says

Chris, I know you asked this a while ago and it may be a little late but I still wanted to offer some ideas. I know how important that relief can be and how hard it can be to come by. First as far as EO, Peppermint is fantastic for nausea of all sorts. put some in your hand swirl finger or two in it and put over stomach area front and or back, behind ears, back of neck at base of skull top of spine and brain stem. Then or even before cup palms over nose and mouth and inhale! Also adding a couple of drops to a bottle or glass of water and sipping it throughout the day can be very helpful as well as uplifting. The other thing to look into is a tens unit or similar. I think they are making machines that are able to do the same thing now under different names. I know you can purchase them now fairly easily and inexpensively as a member of the general public. It used to be that you needed a physician or PT to get one for you but this isn’t the case any longer though you may need that support to get it covered by insurance. I think you can find them though for $30 or so. Suppliers of Acupuncture or Chinese medical supplies would have what you need. You need to research a little (I have the info somewhere) what setting to use so you have the best pulse rate and length for maximum effectiveness. But you place a pad over the acupressure/acupuncture site on your wrist, it’s about two finger widths bellow the crease in your wrist made where your palm meets your wrist and between the two (tendons I think) that seem like skinny bones which run from the wrist down the inside of your for-arm. When feeling for a pulse there its usually found on the inside (thumb side) of these two tendons along the same general line the acupressure point you are looking for is. The car sickness or sea sickness wrist bands they sell use this point. So one pad goes over that and the other goes opposite on the other side of your wrist (spot in between) and you turn the machine on to stimulate the spot for 5 min every hour (I think I’m remembering that correctly and I think that was the general direction and not just what I found worked for me but I may be remembering that wrong) I used to wear one of those gauze covers over the wrist that is used for pic-lines and run the cords up my arm into my top and then down to my waist where the unit clipped to my waist like a pager (about the same size). That way I didn’t have to set it up every hour, I could just turn it on and off. I actually got one with a timer the second go round that I needed this and it turned it’s self on, they probably turn on and off by themselves now… Anyway this worked for me when all the medications they threw at me for nausea didn’t and it worked so well I decided not to use it anymore thinking the problem had passed until the nausea came back full on (dope that I am I did this a couple of times) but it was an easy fix just had to set the pads back up. I didn’t know about EO’s and peppermint then so my experience with that has been for other causes of nausea and or other people. The tens unit works speaking from experience.

For hip pain, pure Lavender and Peppermint combined in equal amounts with a vegetable based carrier oil. Massage over tender area as needed. You’ll smell great too :))

Heartburn, grab the peppermint again! 2 drops of pure peppermint in a shot glass of almond milk will knock out hearburn.

• Kat W. says

Rebecca, when you say “pure Lavender and Peppermint combined in equal amounts with a vegetable based carrier oil”, do you mean equal parts of all 3 (Lavender, Peppermint, & the carrier oil)? Or would it be equal parts of Lavender & Peppermint .. combined with *how much* carrier oil? Thanks!

12. Debbie says

Rebecca, there was a question about the use of peppermint, lavender and frankincense for severe headaches (migraines). I am hopeful you will answer that soon. Thank you.

I am headed to the doTerra site.

Debbie, for very stubborn headaches of the migraine variety this is one combination of EOs that’s proven effective for many migraine sufferers. Blend equal amounts of Lavender and Peppermint and apply with or without a carrier oil to just behind the temples and sub occipital area at the base of brain stem, layer with Frankincense to drive the oil in. Apply every 15 to 30 min if needed.

Remember that consistency is key with essential oils and you reapplying every 15 min if needed is OK!

Please visit the blog and Facebook page for more indepth info, thanks Debbie :))

13. Doreen says

Hi Jill, Always look forward to your posts, but I was confused with the “horror” you felt over NYC. I am a native New Yorker, worked in midtown for over 10 years and never had a problem. I miss it badly, but for work purposes had to move. Did you have a bad experience there that would prompt you to say that? I hate for New York to get a bad rap, when really millions of people are perfectly safe day in and day out.

14. Lauren says

You said that you can use a combination of lemon, lavender, and peppermint as a powerful antihistamine. Specifically, how would you recommend doing this and how much would you use of each oil?

15. Victoria says

Hello there,

Is there anything for severe menstrual cramps? I take 800 mgs of Advil to control the pain and I know that can not be good for my liver and kidneys. Is there anything you can take to ward off urinary tract infections. I currently am on a maitanance system where I take one pill of a low dose antibiotic after intercourse to ward off infections.

• Gwyn says

I’m sorry to butt in Victoria but I couldn’t leave you taking antibiotics that way without trying to help you find an alternative. I am amazed a physician is just leaving it that way. I have no doubt you can find an EO or combination of oils that will help and can replace the antibiotic. It sure sounds like you should be able to find a way to re balance your body or something as well. If you are getting urinary infections that often and that frequently something must be out of whack. To start I would search a few places for oils that help urinary infections, try Rebecca’s site and blog http://www.campwander.com and or http://www.oil-testimonials.com to start. You might also try one of the good books out there on using essential oils medicinally. I could recommend oils that help strengthen the immune system or fight infection, act as well if not better than manufactured antibiotics but there are many and since I don’t have personal experience with this problem I think doing some research and getting suggestions from people who have will serve you better. You might then also do some web exploring about other natural remedies and ways to find and heal the root cause of your problem. It may be a simple as a PH imbalance or who knows…but I assume you have been checked out by a professional (who put you on the antibiotics)…try places like earthclinic.com or livestrong.com, womenshealth.com…there is one I just can’t remember the name of that I’m thinking would be really good, sorry. But really just doing a search of uti causes, remedies, natural remedies…that sort of thing. Just get away from the day or two of prophylactic antibiotics as soon as you can. Again several oils will probably help the cramps but if you are just starting with the basics here I think lavender and peppermint again will probably help. A search of the EO sites will net some ideas too.

Miracle working disturbance (List), termed List, rhythm (List Cable) may be the the planet’s really harvested high-energy audio-visual materials to plug organization, popular began present in 1979 using Chinese-American Lee Saint. (Mister.Noel Lee) Mister.. Previous to this, pro audio equipment materials regardless of win related top faithfulness quality of sound very exceptional LPs driving record member, Hi-end magnitude with the kind of rev in addition to songs deprivation completely ultimate hi-fi audio, sadly professionals on top of sorts of materials weblink path recognized extremely, use run-of-the-mill rhythm for you out high-fidelity point

Fantastic goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you are just extremely wonderful.
    I really like what you’ve acquired here, certainly like what you’re stating and the way in which you say it.
    You make it entertaining and you still care for to keep it
    sensible. I cant wait to read much more from you.

This is actually a wonderful web site.