Sunday, May 26, 2013

17 Signs Your Child Is Being Bullied Or Is Bullying Others

stop bullying

Someone recently sent me a link to a website called StopBullying.gov. Ironically, this is a subject that has been on my mind a lot lately. Within just the last couple of weeks I have heard of two separate incidents from friends whose kids were being bullied at school in my own relatively small town. I’ve actually been very frustrated by the whole situation because I didn’t know what I could do to help.

So when I came across this list of signs that your child is being bullied or is bullying others, I knew I had to share it. Recognizing the warning signs is an important first step in stopping the bullying, especially in light of the fact that according to statistics, only about a third of bullying cases is ever reported to an adult.

stop bullying

Signs a Child is Being Bullied

from StopBullying.gov

• Unexplainable injuries
  • Lost or destroyed clothing, books, electronics, or jewelry
  • Frequent headaches or stomach aches, feeling sick or faking illness
  • Changes in eating habits, like suddenly skipping meals or binge eating. Kids may come home from school hungry because they did not eat lunch.
  • Difficulty sleeping or frequent nightmares
  • Declining grades, loss of interest in schoolwork, or not wanting to go to school
  • Sudden loss of friends or avoidance of social situations
  • Feelings of helplessness or decreased self esteem
  • Self-destructive behaviors such as running away from home, harming themselves, or talking about suicide

stop bullying

Signs a Child is Bullying Others

• Get into physical or verbal fights
  • Have friends who bully others
  • Are increasingly aggressive
  • Get sent to the principal’s office or to detention frequently
  • Have unexplained extra money or new belongings
  • Blame others for their problems
  • Don’t accept responsibility for their actions
  • Are competitive and worry about their reputation or popularity

stop bullying

Helping Kids Understand Bullying

Now that you know what the signs are….now we need to teach our kids.  If we help our kids understand what bullying is and how they can stand up to it…hopefully they will be more likely to talk about it when it happens to them or others.

stop bullying

Keep the Lines of Communication Open

Research tells us that children really do look to parents and caregivers for advice and help on tough decisions. Sometimes spending 15 minutes a day talking can reassure kids that they can talk to their parents if they have a problem. Start conversations about daily life and feelings with open-ended questions such as….”What was one good thing and one bad thing that happened today?”

stop bullying

Encourage Kids to Do What They Love

Help kids take part in activities, interests, and hobbies they like. Kids can volunteer, play sports, sing in a chorus, or join a youth group or school club. These activities give kids a chance to have fun and meet others with the same interests. They can build confidence and friendships that help protect kids from bullying.

stop bullying

Model How to Treat Others with Kindness and Respect

Kids learn from adults’ actions. By treating others with kindness and respect, adults show the kids in their lives that there is no place for bullying. Even if it seems like they are not paying attention, kids are watching how adults manage stress and conflict, as well as how they treat their friends, colleagues, and families.

stop bullying

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention considers bullying a form of youth violence and calls “electronic aggression” an emerging public health problem.

It’s up to us to stop it.

stop bullying 7

How are you or your community, school etc. addressing bullying?

Never miss a good thing!
Receive a daily dose of Jillee + bonus newsletters.

35 thoughts on “17 Signs Your Child Is Being Bullied Or Is Bullying Others

1. Beth

Jillee Thank you for posting this, and also for including the signs that your child may be bullying others, it seems that this side of the issue is often ignored and it’s important for parents to watch for both sides of this issue!

2. Janet T

About 20 years ago my best friend’s son was being bullied at his private school in London. A former teacher, she told her son to invite the bully home after school one day. The boy was welcomed, given a nice after-school snack and treated like a friend. The tactic worked.
    One of my own daughters was psychologically bullied while in primary school, and it went on for years without any obvious signs. She had a small group of friends who were dominated by one girl. This girl would alternately criticise and belittle or lavish friendship, and each girl in the group was desperately unhappy when it was her turn to be spurned by “the leader.” It all came out when my daughter was 11 and we were shopping together for her new school uniform. She’d been told for years by this girl that she was adopted because she didn’t look like either her father or me, that she was fat, couldn’t dance, that one day her freckles would all grow together and cover her skin, etc. None of this was in fact true, but in her childlike way she was under this girl’s spell and she believed every word. The next morning I phoned the school early and spoke to the class teacher, who took it very seriously, saying that what I told her explained a few things. The school dealt with her (I didn’t enquire about the details), but my daughter was upset that I’d informed the school—it wasn’t easy for her to break the long habits of friendship, even if they were toxic. The problem resolved itself when they soon all moved on to different secondary schools, but I still cannot think of this girl without getting upset. Luckily my daughter was able to recover from her experience, and made a great success of herself at her next school, both academically and socially, and today is a beautiful, confident young woman. I wonder if the bully ever had any insight into her cruel behaviour as she grew up …

3. itismedia

As a third grade teacher I would also like to add that you should watch for a child that does not normally get in trouble at school (or in the neighborhood) suddenly starts getting phone calls home, detention, or in fights may be BEING bullied. Sometimes bullying goes on behind the scenes or there is not a strong support system in place (parents, administration, etc…) and the bullied student becomes the bully. So do not automatically think that your child is the bully. Try to get to the bottom of it. I do not mean necessarily believe everything that your child says (even though we love them, they do not want to get in trouble if they are indeed bullying they will try to pass off the blame), but really investigate. Also, cliques are extremely important in school. Every student wants to belong, wants to have a multitude of friends, etc… Sometimes they will bully to belong. I have called out students before and said, “wow! that is bullying” and they look at me like I am crazy. It sometimes takes a minute for them to see that what everyone else is doing is wrong and that they should not take part.

I have these issues going on in my classroom this year. I took it over half way through the year and I do not know what happened with the previous teacher or what she allowed to happen. By the time I came in there was a child being bullied every day because of his old uniforms, his smell, his unkept appearance…I have had parents come up saying that a child called their child a name, but then I have to tell them what their child said first. Are either of the children in the right, no but the second child felt the need to verbally defend themselves. I teach in an inner city school and their code is a little different, but that does not mean that school should not be a safe place.

I think basically, to sum it up, make sure you know what side your child is REALLY on before you assume they are being bullied or are they bullier. =+) This is a horrible issue that has to stop no matter what side your child is on.

4. Kate @ Here Now Brown Cow

I feel sick with worry just reading this, as I know it’s an issue that’s hard to avoid. My kids are still little, but I hope when they’re old enough they treat each other with kindness and compassion, but who knows? The lists are a great way to get onto things early. Good luck to anyone going through this tough stuff.

5. Rebecca b

I was bullied as a child and it still affects me today. I’m 47 years old. I’m glad for kids now, that parents are more aware of the situation. Even today, there is a tendency to blame the victim, for being a little bit different. I do it myself, even having been in that situation. We need to aggressively teach compassion (that sounds so funny) and respect for human life. I don’t know exactly what that looks like, but I know it isn’t tv shows that glorify violence or make fun of people for various shortcomings.

6. Alex

Yup, list number one looks familiar. I remember seeing ‘Ferris Bueller’s Day Off’ and relating so much to the character of Cameron, who felt better when he was sick. Anxiety about being bullied probably didn’t help either. Being bullied may have helped my grades because I would hide out in our school library at recess and lunch. However, it is probably the reason that I started eating my feelings; a habit I’m still trying to break.

Despite being the youngest in the class, I was a head taller than most of them and chubby (their main target in bullying). Also, my parents didn’t have any friends with kids, so I developed a sophisticated vocabulary sooner than my peers) This meant that any time there was a physical altercation, I was the one blamed by the teachers. Being bigger and better-spoken registered as “more mature” to them.

Also, because my parents’ friends didn’t have kids, my parents didn’t always have a good yardstick for normal kid behavior and shrugged off my pleas to change schools for years until my wrist was broken within the same year I got a concussion.

7. Rebecca b

Alex, I am sorry for your pain. What is it with the eating, I did/do that too. I guess our parents just didn’t choose to see or understand the pain we were in. To this day I get the willies thinking about school, and I will have bad dreams when things are going wrong in my life, that take me back to those days. The school bus was the worst.
    My husband and I made the decision to homeschool our kids, and though bullying was not a major part of the decision, I have to say that I felt better for my kids that they wouldn’t have to deal with that daily.

8. Debbie

I was a Peace Corps volunteer in Africa & was placed at a school. Guess what…bullying is Universal! I taught on the subject after observing it. I also believe that children that are bullies grow up to be bullies in the workplace and at home. Workplace bullying is also a problem.

9. A LUCKY MOM

THANK YOU, for sharing the signs with everyone. My youngest is now 19 and in college, he and I are very close, he tells me things most boys would never tell their Mom. He is a very smart popular kid, lots of friends, he was the kid that stopped kids from bullying. Well, his last two year of high school, we had to admit him several times for depression, he became withdrawn and at time suicidal. I was terrified, the root of the problem ended up to be bullying. This did not come out until after he graduated and went on to college, and he was safe and away from the high school environment. Even though he protected other kids from being bullyed, he could not protect himself.

Parents need to be aware that a lot of victims of bullys never report it, the just internalize it all.
    We almost lost our son I don’t want any parent to lose their kid to bullying.
    Print out a copy of the signs, keep it handy and seek help if you suspect anything. and finally
    SPEAK UP, if you see or hear anything, the child you save might be your own

1. Marjori

I was the same as your son…I stood up against the bullies for the ones who couldn’t, but I couldn’t stand up for myself.

I have a son who is going into high school & when I had to go on campus to get registration papers, I had a panic attack…it just brought me right back….and I am 46 yrs old!

Thank Goodness your son was able to push through it. :)

10. Julye L.

Love your website. Love that you posted this. My son was bullied for 2 years. I didn’t know. Lucky for us it came out in a health class and he said something. For us it wasn’t just students but teachers also. One being a substitute teacher calling him fat in front of the class. I ended up pulling him out and putting him in a charter school, knowing if I didn’t do something we would loose him. I can say he showed about 8 signs that were listed. And I am glad he is doing better.

11. Jean

Thanks for posting this! As a teacher, I do have to point out that bullying is becoming more of a problem now than it used to be. I have to attribute some of that increase to the break-down in communication between students and parents. Some of my kids don’t even see their parents until the weekend with work, sports, and other activities. It’s hard trying to raise kids in this economy and keep everything afloat, but parents really HAVE to be visible and involved. You can’t hide your kid from this. The skills you develop in dealing with bullies as a kid are the same skills you will need as an adult dealing with bullies in the workplace – and yes, they are there! I think the best piece of advice above is that daily conversation. When you ask what happened at school today and your kid replies, ‘nothing’, you HAVE to keep asking and digging. Best place to have a good in-depth conversation is still the car – your kid is a captive and can’t escape the questions!! (And you can keep driving until you get them.) Bless all parents who are PARENTING their kids! Toughest job on the planet!!

12. Kimberly

Thank you for sharing. Over 30 years ago when I was in public school, I was bullied first physically, then later psychologically. I had strong enough family ties to not succumb to it’s harmful effects, but I’ve never attend a class reunion as a result. I am simply not interested in seeing my “bully-ers” again. Bullying is one (of many) reasons we chose to homeschool our four children, the oldest of which is graduating in June. I sincerely pray that these problems for each affected child, are detected early so that they can have a happy time at school. I know I didn’t, and would never wish what I experienced on another. Childhood should be a sweet, blessed time.

13. mymosk

I just had to share this blog with you http://www.operationnice.org/
    My cousin is behind this program to stop bullying in schools. If you have time check out the video’s of the kids and what they thought of the program. I have always worried about bullying and actually pulled my daughter out of school to homeschool her when I felt the school we were attending refused to address the issue. We are now back in a school setting (high school) that seem’s really does have a no tolerance policy. We are blessed! I think empowering the kids to stand up and not allow this to happen is so important. I have been lurking on your blog for awhile and felt compelled to post. Thank you!

14. Susan

My son, who is now 23, had a terrible time in school. He was never in trouble, I never got a call from his teachers, he never got RPC’d or suspended BUT he also never had a ton of friends. He would tell me things that were happening to him but they never seemed that big of a deal (Someone broke all of his pencils or his schoolwork would come home ripped) my son was a little overly dramatic as a young boy so I didn’t pay much attention to a few pencils being broken. I think back now and I am just sick to my stomach with what he went through and I brushed it off.

He was in 6th grade and my boys were late coming home (like 2 to 3 hours) my oldest son came strolling in but the other one did not, he said the school was closed due to a bomb threat. I asked the oldest if he saw Steven and he said he was in the back of a cop car. His dad and I flew to the school and was met with a barricade of police from one end of the street to the other (it is a long street, a couple of miles long) I told a police men that one son came home the other didn’t, they asked his name and we were escorted in a police car to the school. I was met with a psychologist and he said that my son did in deed close the school and cause quite a stir (he said that not me) what it boiled down to (the Dr. had determined) Steven was being bullied and he was telling a kid about a movie we had watched the night before (Speed) he was telling about the bomb on the bus, one of the bullies had asked if he had put a bomb on the school bus and Steven said “maybe I did, maybe I didn’t.” They asked if he had a bomb in his backpack and his response was the same (this was in the beginning of class) they sat through the whole class and the bell rung and the boy told one of the hall teachers that Steven said there was a bomb on the bus and in his backpack. Needless to say they closed the school and lots of police, the bomb squad, fire department, and S.W.A.T. was there. the Dr. said Steven was telling about a movie and the kids were finally being nice and listening. They weren’t braking things or dumping out his backpack or running around with his P. E. clothes etc… He was finally being left alone all because he was talking about a movie. He was going to be expelled (this was the month of Feb) so I pulled him and enrolled him in a charter school that he could do online from home. He was the happiest I had ever seen him. He never said a word about anything until one day his brother brought home his yearbook and not once did he say things like “this is my friend in math or this is the guy I sit with at lunch” INSTEAD he said “this is guy who spits in my food” or “this is the guy who sticks his foot out and trips me and makes my food fly all over the place”, or “this is the guy who steals and breaks all my pencils so I can’t work” or “this is the guy who sticks stuff in my hair” etc…it went on and on with every page he turned of that yearbook. I was in tears and still cry when I think about it. He suffered at these bullies hands and I never knew it was a bigger issue then he made it sound. My heart breaks for him. He has ALOT of issues to this day and I wonder if life would have been different if he had been accepted and not bullied.

LISTEN to everything your kids say, even the smallest thing, like pencils getting broken by some kid. They most likely are going through hell and not saying much. One last thing, in his 9th grade year he started cutting himself. I asked him about it and he promised not to do that anymore little did I know he moved it to places I couldn’t see. He internalized all his feeling and started cutting, be aware that bulling can last a long long time.

Sorry for the book I just wrote…thank you for posting this. My son fit a few of these descriptions. If only this list had been around years ago.

15. Patty

To Lucky Mom – I feel your pain and am so very happy your son survived through it all. I know that others can not believe that a popular child can be bullied also. As parents we are thought of as being over protective or such as there is “no way” a popular child could be bullied. I have spoken to school counselors and coaches about my son as I knew something was up. Even they thought I was nuts. My son is in the “popular”sports year round, so I have to say that is NOT a deterrent as the person who mentioned earlier. In fact, that’s where it started. Even as he is an awesome athlete, others found out that if they teased him about it being his fault they lost (which is so far from the truth), he was saddened so it just went on and became the basis for extreme bullying. He is a sensitive man and they jumped on that. It just became worse and worse. His coaches knew about it and did absolutely nothing as “boys will be boys”. After his staying home again two weeks ago, I started the process of changing schools. I know I made the right decision as this week he came home with busted knuckles from hitting the locker room walls after being tortured emotionally and physically in the locker room. He is 6’4″. Not a small guy. But when you’re ganged up on it doesn’t matter. Of course the locker rooms are the only place w/o cameras. I guess what I’m trying to get across is, to other parents, counselors, and coaches, please never assume that bigger, stronger, and popular kids can’t go through this also. The principle and the superintendent will be receiving a letter from me as soon as this year is over in two weeks because they obviously haven’t instructed the staff on these situations. As for the parents I shared many nights watching the sports together? They also will be hearing from me. I know I will upset some very close friends, of course their kid would never do that (!) but the friendships will end as my son is more important.

16. cty

Many adults do not realize how bullying affects a person. It’s not kids being kids. Or how we learn to stand up for ourselves. Or the “right of might” We need to teach both kids & adults.
    Don’t be a victim. Don’t be a perpetrator. Above all Don’t be a bystander.
    Maybe if we send this message long enough, strong enough we can help end domestic violence among adults.
    Even though a lot of this happens at school we need to be aware of other places that it happens–neighborhoods, sport activities, church, with in families.
    We also need to know that girl/boy bullying can be different. A good book to read with your daughter(s) is Odd Girl Out by Rachel Simmons–the book really looks into the different/more subtle (though many times more damaging) ways that bullying can affect young girls–even into adulthood.

17. Mary S

Both of my son’s were bullied relentlessly when they were in public school because they were different and because they were in special Ed classes. It amazes me how many parents think it is ok for their children to say and do things to another child because their disability is a invisible one. Several member’s of my own family allowed their kids to bully mine because they are”weird”. Both my son’s are high yield autistic.The bullying in the school even extended to some of the teachers.The main problem we had was the #1 rule in special Ed is ignore inappropriate behavior by others and if the teacher didn’t see it, then it did not happen. I was called to the school to pick up my son because he had been suspended for hitting another student. I found out that 3 boys have knocked my child down on the playground and kicked and stomped him.That is why he hit one of them.Four hours after it happened he still had foot prints on his chest! The principal said the teachers saw nothing except J hitting the other child so if the child did something to J, he must have done something to the other child to deserve it.I pulled him out of public school and homeschooled him.I am now homeschooling my youngest and wish I had never even put him in Public school.Parents,please educate your children that if a child act’s differently to still be nice, because they may have a disability that you can’t see.

18. Ginger

Bullying is not ok; unfortunately, there will always be mean people. Children need to learn resilience and assertiveness skills. We all know that there are adults who are bullies-how do we, as adults, deal with them? We can’t legislate bullying out of existence. There will always be those who want power over others. The key is not giving it to them. Kids need to know they can keep their own power instead of giving it away and letting bullies run the show. A good website that talks about teaching resilience and assertiveness is: bullies2buddies.com .

Please don’t think I’m saying that we shouldn’t do anything when bullies do what they do. They should face the consequences of their actions, just as adults who do these types of things get fired, go to jail, etc. I’m saying that we have to teach our children to stand up and take back their power-and stand together.

1. Mary

You are assuming that the school will mete out a consequence to the bully. This simply is not always the case. And when kids fight back/respond, they are often the ones to get in trouble, rather than the bully.

Sometimes the best solution is to remove your child from the school and attend another school or homeschool.

1. Mary Beth

This is very true. Often the child that started it, doesn’t get much if any discepline and the kids that has been putting up with it & finally fights back is the one that gets detention etc.

Often the bully manages to fly under the radar.

And, once the bullied child gets into trouble, they are on the radar being scrutinized for everything they do and say.

19. Kat

I was bullied a lot thoughout my school years. I’ve had books thrown at me, school books stolen, and nasty rumors spread (that still haunt me to this day). I’m not sure what I would have done differently, or what I could have done, but I am extremely happy that there is more information on bullying and how to stop it. I refuse to have my daughter be bullied or be the bully. I’m starting with the research now.

Thank you for posting this article, I will definitely keep it bookmarked for future notice.

20. Sue Sholtis

Thanks for sharing. As a former teacher, it is always important for parents to be aware of things like this. If they are being bullied or are bullying someone else or their perception is that they are, it is time to STOP them. Kids are SO easily hurt and growing up is difficult enough without any bullying.

21. Vanessa

As a mom of a bullied son, I started homeschooling this past January. My son was bullied all in kindergarten and the school did nothing. He pooped his pants everyday in hopes that he would be able to come home. First grade started and with new classmates, he was doing good. But then he started getting into trouble and pooping his pants again. So, what I’m trying to say here is that bullied kids also have accidents in hopes that they can go home and get out of the situation. Ever since we started homeschool, we haven’t had an issue.

22. Gratefulhart

My child was exhibiting many of these and as it turned out she was being bullied by her teacher. The teacher was so nasty that I finally discovered she had put the other children in power over my child. All they had to do was tell her that my kid did something and she was immediately punished regardless of whether or not she’d actually done it and regardless of the the teacher seeing it and regardless of it being witnessed by anyone. There was no way to defend against this as the teacher sand a different song in front of the principle and he believed her. We had to remove her from the school or she’d have ended up needing therapy. I know mine wasn’t the only one and I shudder to think what is happening to the other students still there.

23. Rebecca Ednie

I’d never really thought about my sons teachers actions this year as bullying until I read the previous comment but I suppose that’s exactly what it’s been. He’s a sensitive gentle kid with ADD and she’s been mean to him all year. I’ve not been able to explain it and I haven’t put up with it and have been trying to get help from the principal. we finally had a meeting last week even though its close to the end of the year. Had I not been distracted by some extreme behaviours by my other son who is autistic I would have dealt with it sooner but I dropped the ball. And she wasn’t as bad earlier in the year.

At the beginning she seemed good because although he thought she was mean and yelled too much, she was helping him at lunch so he didn’t have to bring work home and he was doing well academically. Then she told him she wouldn’t so it anymore because it was a waste of time. How cruel. I spoke to her a few months ago concerned that i never got homework home and she was so rude, scolding me for not buying him a school agenda. I knew it would get destroyed and never used but that wasn’t a good enough explanation. Despite her knowing he has ADD, “he has to smarten up, another teacher wouldn’t help him as much as I do, that’s the only reason he gets the grades he does, in the older grades, he will have to organize himself…” Um, if he could, doesn’t she think he would??

She said she didn’t believe he had ADD and asked if he had medical papers, in front of the whole class when I sent a letter at the beginning of the year and its in his file. He doesn’t want to ask for help because she yells at him for getting answers wrong or not knowing the answer but at the same time she also yells if he doesn’t ask him for help.

He asked if she could help him once and she said ‘you don’t need help for this, you need help period.’ When a nearby student snickered she said ‘ at least x has a sense of humour!’ Actually, my son has a very sweet and good sense of humour but I guess he’s been sullen lately because of dealing with her.

The students were working on a sheet of math questions and some found a question confusing. So she told them to skip the question. One student was not at that part yet and she started to tell him to skip it then looked at his paper, “oh, your not there yet” then she looked at my sons paper “oh, you’re not NEARLY there yet” however, my son had made more progress than the other student.

I really think this woman is a bully. She must have seen that his ADD has given him lower self esteem than other students and is preying upon him in some twisted power trip. The way perverts choose their victims from among the weaker kids. He started to cry while explaining how he felt to the principal who passed it off as either he misunderstood what she meant or a personality conflict. My son is very respectful of adults (I wouldn’t have tolerated being treated that way when I was 11!) and sweet natured. What’s to conflict with? And her job is to teach, not be their friend. All she has to do is treat him decently.

She even started criticizing his snack mistaking some fruit juice chews for candy (which still would be none of her business) and intimidating him so much he threw them out. I phoned her and told her in no uncertain and not all that polite terms to leave him alone, I’ve had enough. I may even call the principal back and ask what he found out when he spoke to her. I have a mind to ask her to apologize though I’m sure she’s lied and denied saying any of those things. Apparently she’s old and I’d love to see her retire!

1. Tina

Hi Rebecca – I read your post and it reminded me so much of our situation with our son last year (in second grade). I did meekly confront her, but backed down for fear she would mistreat my son even more. I have to tell you, one year later, I regret that decision almost every day. This teacher, which sounds like yours, was a BULLY! I wish I would have dealt with it more strongly and not been afraid of the backlash. I hope you do a better job than I did. Things may not change but at least you stand up to her and show your son not to allow this type of behavior.

2. Pati Gulat

PLEASE, Rebecca, if you haven’t already, go over the principal’s head to a higher up on the School Board and make sure they know you will make a MASSIVE STINK about this teacher and they will do something about her. She needs to be let go. My sister suffered from this same kind of teacher in 1st grade and at 51, still feels the effects .

24. Peggy

My daughter was bullied by a friend in 2nd grade because my daughter got better grades and performed better in her school work than the other girl. The other girl bullied my daughter to pump up her own self esteem. Sad. I suspected something was going on, but my repeated questions got me nowhere with her. It wasn’t until she was watching the American Girl movie “Chrissa Stands Strong” that it all came out. She finally told me what was happening. Thank God for that movie!!

There are quite a few American Girl books out on bullying and how to get along with others that I highly recommend. My daughter now lets her friends borrow them when she senses that her friends are having issues with bullies themselves!

25. carla stevens

Bullying in the work place is also a growing problem that I have researched because I have been bullied at work now for 7 years. I have reported the Bully numerous of times and my supervisor does nothing to stop it. I finally went over her head and filed a complaint with my companies compliance line and really STILL I AM BEING TREATED LIKE THE PERPETRATOR OR WHISTLEBLOWER. While the Bully is protected.

26. Tina

I have a bully mom in my group of friends. I, personally, stay far away from her but it amazes me how these grown women talk about her behind her back about how mean she is and even call her a bully, but when the rubber meets the road, they kiss up to her like there’s no tomorrow. I know why…because they don’t want to be the bullied person, they want to be popular and on the inside, but REALLY? No one stands up to her and they treat her like the queen she acts like she is. Then when one of her “close” friends gets dumped for a new person another, they act upset but I can see them panting to be back in her good graces. Such a strange dynamic to see adults act this way. I just don’t understand it. I can’t even imagine the conflict kids go through.

27. Cila

My daughter was bullied in secound grade by her teacher.My daughter was extremely shy and very well behaved so that she wouldnt call any attention to herself.For some reason the teacher started making fun of her and picking on her. My daughter started crying everday when it was time for school,at first we thought that it was just a phase she was going through but it got worse.My husband confronted the teacher and she had the gall to say that she was a spoilt little girl that needed to toughen up.My husband informed her that in our house our children were treated like princesses and if she didnt stop he would do a formal complaint.She did stop the bullying but my daughter still considers that year to be her worst school year ever.

28. Mary Beth

Bullying is rampant. It’s not like when we were kids. It’s a constant, on the bus, at school, via phones, email, social media. Kids can no longer escape it, bullying follows them all the time.
    That being said. Kids are very careful to do the bullying when teachers and staff are not noticing.
    While changing classes, or attention is elsewhere. I believe many schools think bullying is under control just because they have a “no bullying” policy. Don’t believe it.
    I have also heard about a number of teachers that are bullies. No?
    Things I have heard….
    A teacher picks “nicknames” for kids, many not flattering.
    A teacher tells a coughing student to find a cough drop because they are annoying.
    A teacher says unkind things in front of students about a teacher across the hall.

Adults need to think twice before they engage their mouth. They are a role model, an example of how to treat others.

My daughter had a rough year last year (8th grade) – between (possible) bullying [she's never confirned it], missing school for 2 months due to OCD (which the doctor says may have been brought on by Lymne Desease & Mono in the 2 previous years) and a miserable school year with no friends (mostly because of the 2 month absence in the first few noths of school). Thankfully, she has the OCD under control 98% of the time, she a a small group of friends that have even begun monthly excursions to the mall, and she has begun to get involved in activities in school. She has even pointed out instances where bullying has occured and she has called the person on it (even a teacher, by telling them “that’s not right”).

Communication with your child is Big. We’ve watched movies & discussed the situations kids were in & how it was handled or could have been handled better.

29. Dog Collars

There are a number of different styles of dog collars available
    on the market today and every style hass it’s own unique look and
    feel. The collar is water-resistant (not waterproof like the others) aand uses 3 rechargeable AAA batteries.
    Super strong collars for larger animals and those that try to lead on the leash can be found across the internet
    and at many local pet stores.