Get Rid Of Flies Naturally With Homemade Flypaper

homemade flypaper

Every summer the hubster and I get in an argument over those nasty flypaper strips that he wants to hang in the house!  You know the ones I’m talking about?  They are a gross waxy yellow color and just plain disgusting-looking….and that’s WITHOUT dead flies stuck to them! :-)

I will concede to letting him hang some in the garage by the door into the house, but I draw the line at hanging them INSIDE the house.  They just give me the heebie-jeebies!

So when I read about an idea at Care2.com for making your own homemade flypaper…I couldn’t wait to try it. ANYTHING had to be better than those icky yellow ones!

Turns out these are actually quite attractive-looking…almost DECORATIVE (OK, that might be going a little too far.) Of course they don’t have any dead flies stuck to them yet, but still, if you hate the look of those gooey yellow strips as much as I do...you might want to give this a try!

homemade fly paper

DIY Fly Paper

What you need:

• A paper grocery bag
  • Scissors
  • A single hole punch
  • Twine
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup honey or corn syrup
  • 2 Tablespoons water

homemade fly paper

Cut your paper bag into strips that are 2 – 3 inches wide (no need to measure…just eyeball it).

homemade fly paper

Punch a hole in the end of each one and then thread a piece of twine through the hole and tie the ends into a knot to form a loop for hanging.

homemade fly paper

Now to apply the “sticky stuff”.  Mix the sugar, honey (or corn syrup), and water in a saucepan on the stove over low heat just until the sugar is dissolved.

Pour the mixture into a shallow bowl and then run each paper strip through the sticky mixture until it is well-coated on both sides.

homemade fly paper

Photos by Anna Gleave

Hang your homemade flypaper strips somewhere to dry. Make sure to put a towel or something else absorbent under them to catch any sticky drips. I put an old tablecloth under mine and then just threw it in the washing machine after the strips were done dripping…which wasn’t very long.

If you’re wondering if these things are really STICKY….wonder no more! A picture is worth a thousand words….

homemade fly paper

They are definitely STICKY! Surprisingly sticky!! Eventually they will dry out and lose some of their stickiness (especially in a dry climate like mine!), when that happens just spritz them with some sugar water. They will re-stickify and attract even MORE flies!  And isn’t that really the point??  :-)

Share on Facebook651Tweet about this on Twitter31Pin on Pinterest10,266Google+16

Comments

1. Paula says

Awesome!! I wonder if it will work with the fruit flies too (instead of the ugly two liter bottle that turns into goo?)

2. Meg says

I was just thinking about this the other night! We’ve had a bad problem with fruit flies lately. I was about to resort to fly paper and though ‘I wonder if there’s a way to make your own?’ I’ll have to give this a try!

3. Jill says

This is awesome! I am definitely going to make some of these next summer (it’s winter down-under atm). I don’t think you can get the commercially made version here anymore, and I WON’T use fly spray, so this is going on the list of things to try.
    Thanks!

I agree that the brown paper sack and twine is almost decorative, but if someone didn’t like that they could probably use different colors of construction paper and yarn. It would be more expensive, but might ‘coordinate’ with the current colors of their decor. Another thought, wonder if one used dark paper if one might be able to ignore the nasty flies due to them blending in with the background color of the paper? Yuck.

5. Lindsy says

These dont seem any prettier than the other to me but it is nice to have a back up when we run out of the other. My garage is attached to my dinning room and hubby will run in quick tongrab something and not close the door behind him and wallah flyfest begins!!! We always have the nasty ones in the garage but our tennis racket electric killing bug killer cant always catch them all. Thanks!!!

6. Joyce says

Sharon great idea! I think I might try it with dark patterned paper so they aren’t noticeable. Txs.

This is probably one of the best ideas I have seen. We always have flies during the summer especially after it rains and this I will try. Thanks,
    Brenda

8. Shari says

Good idea ! But, I wounder if they won’t also draw roaches and ants ? I’m not sure how long they’d last here, either, on the very, very humid Gulf Coast of Texas, before they mildew in our heat. I’ll give them a try, though, a great creation !