I think most of us know the things we need to AVOID to protect our skin from premature aging….avoid the sun, don’t smoke, don’t drink, etc.
But do you know what you need to proactively DO? I admit I wasn’t quite sure what I should be doing to keep my skin looking its best. So I started looking into it. Here are the top 4 things you can do for your skin to prevent premature aging:
Wear a moisturizing sunscreen or a moisturizer with sunscreen. Using two different products will tend to decrease the effectiveness of each.
Eat a balanced diet. Antioxidant-rich foods like spinach, tomatoes, blueberries, salmon and nuts have a protective effect for the skin. On the flip side, a diet high in processed or refined carbohydrates and unhealthy fats promotes skin aging.
Manage stress. Uncontrolled stress can make your skin more sensitive and trigger skin problems. Take steps to manage your stress such as scaling back your to-do list and making time to do things you enjoy.
And the most IMPORTANT thing you can do for your skin to prevent premature aging is develop good skin care habits. A daily routine is essential for healthier, younger-looking skin.
Here is my Ultimate Anti-Aging Skin Care Routine:
In the morning:
1. Wash your face. Use a non-soap cleanser and warm water to remove dirt and oil.
2. Use an eye cream. The area around your eyes is the first place to show visible signs of aging. The skin here tends to be thinner, drier and more sensitive.
3. Moisturize. Each time you wash your face, you remove some of its natural moisture. Keeping your skin hydrated reduces the appearance of fine lines, and controls oil production. Make sure your moisturizer contains SPF.
1. Wash and exfoliate. Again, with a gentle cleanser, and then once a week, switch to an exfoliating cleanser that removes dead skin cells that build up.
2. Use an eye cream. Apply the same eye cream you used in the AM.
3. Smooth on serum. Serums have a higher concentration of active ingredients and penetrate deeper to help repair your skin. Serums are lightweight, super-hydrating and typically won’t clog pores.
A couple of weeks ago I introduced you to Skin Beautiful Dermaceuticals and told you about their unique approach to skincare that included daily “affirmacizes” to help you enhance your beauty from the INSIDE OUT. They also have some really great products that are all natural formula based, with no harsh chemicals, oils or emulsifiers.
I have been faithfully using their Best Defense Serum and the Firm Control Serum, and doing my daily affirmacizes and I’ve also been trying to implement the other tips mentioned above….eating better, managing stress and being more mindful of the time I spend in the sun. Between the two I have been very pleased with the results.
I have been so surprised at how not only have the positive statements made me feel better about myself inside, I really have noticed a changed in my appearance. If nothing else, I smile more, which always makes a person more beautiful. :-)
But truthfully, I have loved the products I have tried. My skin feels hydrated and invigorated after I use them, and my makeup looks so much nicer when I apply it after using the serums.
Here are a couple of pictures (sans makeup! yikes!)…one I took before starting the Skin Beautiful products, and one taken today.
While I may not look 20 years younger, I definitely have noticed a difference, especially around my mouth and under my eyes.
While some signs of aging skin are inevitable, there’s a lot you can do to look your best at any age. Taking good care of yourself is the most important step in your anti-aging skin care program.
If YOU would like to try some of the Skin Beautiful products, they are offering one of their Essential Skin Wellness Kits to an OGT reader. To enter, “Like” Skin Beautiful Dermaceuticals on Facebook and leave a comment mentioning “Jillee”.
This is a “sponsored post.” Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.