A Simple Homemade Hot Fudge Sauce

homemade hot fudge

This Thursday we are having a very traditional at-home 4th of July celebration. Traditional BBQ spread (the hubster is promising something delicious from the smoker!), followed by piles of fireworks for my two pyros….I mean teenage boys….to set off, and a bonfire in the backyard with s’mores for SECOND dessert!

The reason s’mores will be SECOND dessert is because I always make homemade ice cream on the 4th of July and that will be FIRST dessert. :-)  I guarantee after fireworks the clan will be more than ready for a second dessert of s’mores. After all, are s’mores even really considered “dessert”?  I think they’re more of a NECESSITY on a summer holiday than anything!

My Mom’s homemade ice cream recipe is SO TASTY, I am always getting requests for it in the summertime. But I don’t mind, because it is also SO EASY. (I’m planning on doing a blog post on Friday with the recipe and pictures…but if you are thinking you might like to make up a batch for YOUR holiday get-together…drop me an email and I’ll shoot the recipe off to you.)

Homemade Hot Fudge

You can use pretty much any fruit or berry you like in this recipe…our favorites are peach, raspberry and strawberry, in no particular order. It’s so good that it really doesn’t need any toppings, but one year I discovered the joy of adding some Hot Fudge Sauce to the strawberry ice cream! Mmm, mmm, mmm. It’s like a frozen chocolate covered strawberry you eat with a spoon! :-)

In a pinch I will purchase ready made hot fudge from the store….but if you’ve ever had HOMEMADE Hot Fudge, you know there is NO comparison!  As a matter of fact, once you try this recipe…you’ll have a very hard time going back to store-bought.  My apologies in advance for that!

Homemade Hot Fudge Sauce

Adapted from epicurious.com

Homemade Hot Fudge

Simple Homemade Hot Fudge Sauce

Ingredients

• 2/3 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup light corn syrup
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 6 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips (1/2 a bag)
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

homemade hot fudge

Directions

Bring the whipping cream, corn syrup, brown sugar, cocoa, salt, and half of the chocolate chips to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring, until the chocolate is melted. Reduce the heat and cook on a low boil for approximately 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Add butter, vanilla, and the rest of the chocolate and stir until smooth.

homemade hot fudge

Cool sauce to warm before serving.

banana flowers

homemade hot fudge

The serve over any flavor ice cream of your choice! If you want to get FANCY…try adding a few “banana flowers”, some nuts, whipped cream, and of course a cherry on top!

The hot fudge sauce will keep for approximately a week in the refrigerator. Just allow it to completely cool before storing in an airtight container.

Be sure to check back on Friday when I will share my Mom’s homemade ice cream recipe….complete with party pictures. :-)  I am SO looking forward to a nice relaxing day at home with family and friends.

What are YOUR plans for the 4th of July??

Facebook45Twitter6Pinterest8636Google+2

Comments

1. Nicole says

Those bananas are adorable! I don’t love bananas so I never would’ve added them to my ice cream…that is until now. Flower-shaped? I love ‘em! Now I’m even thinking to just dip some in chocolate and freeze them as a healthier dessert choice when I get a craving for something chocolatey. Excellent, Jillee!

2. Emily says

My girls love frozen bananas. So much so that we buy 2 large bunches a week. When they get really ripe and haven’t been eaten, we chop them into bite size chunks and freeze them. They taste just like ice cream! This hot fudge sauce would be a great topping for a special treat! Love this site and all that you do, Jillee! You are amazing!!!

Mom’s Homemade Ice Cream

2 pkgs frozen or 2 baskets of fresh raspberries, strawberries or peaches (6-8 fresh)
      1/2 cup lemon juice
      2 1/2 cups sugar
      1 1/2 quarts half and half

Thaw berries if frozen. Mash the fresh or thawed berries, or peeled and sliced peaches with a potato masher or process in your blender or food processor. Process until a consistency you like. I like my fruit chunks a little bit bigger, so I don’t process/mash them too much.

Add all the ingredients to your ice cream freezer and churn! Churn in a 1 gallon ice cream freezer. Make half batch if your freezer is smaller than a gallon. I will make a large batch in my traditional ice cream maker, and a 1/2 batch in my Cuisinart ice cream maker.

• Trixie F says

Thank you, Jillee! You KNEW you couldn’t tease us with ice cream and then not deliver, right? Haha. I got a 1/2 bushel of peaches the other day and I’m running out of ideas. Peach Ice Cream it is!! :)

• Linda Barnhart says

Perfect! I didn’t want to bother you as I know you’re getting all organized and here I see the recipe! I already have the peaches defrosted and was just going to use the recipe out of the Cuisinart booklet. This will be so much better coming from you, knowing it’s been tested and approved by your sweet family.

Thanks so very much!

3. Julia C says

This sauce looks delicious! Please email me your Mom’s homemade ice cream recipe… I found our ice cream maker in the attic last week and we are planning to make homemade ice cream tomorrow for our picnic. (Now with yummy hot fudge sauce !) Thanks Jillian !

4. Kathy says

I am sorry, but if you have the time….I would love that ice cream recipe to go along with the chocolate sauce recipe to serve my guests on the 4th. Would you email it to me.
    Thanks so much for sharing! I love your tips.
    Have a wonderful gathering.

5. Linda says

Would love your ice-cream recipe. I had just bought an ice cream maker and was going to hunt for a good recipe and this looks like it will fit the bill. I really like your idea on the bananas. Like the idea of freezing them in chocolate. Might even use the hot fudge recipe above as a dip for them as a treat.

6. Derris says

For INDEPENDENCE DAY, our small family with have a gathering with traditional items like burgers, etc.
    I would love for you to email me the ice cream recipe! Thanks Jillee

7. Dani K says

This brings back wonderful memories of anticipating my grandfathers homemade peach ice cream as we all took turns at the hand crank! Please email your family recipe, we are joining you in this tradition again. Thanks for inspiring me and sharing your passion and personal story.

8. Dawn Norby says

Thank you for all the tips. I love them!
    Please email me the ice cream recipe. I would like to make it today for tomorrow. I have an old stand by recipe but am always looking for new ones.
    Happy Independence Day!

You can get bananas that have no brown cut them into 1 inch piecsa freeze them it takes a couple ofd hours when that is done put it in your blender or food processor and it will make soft serve banana ice cream or if you would rather put it in the freezer again and it makes hard ice cream.
    I would love a copy of your moms ice cream reciepe please.

10. Cindi says

I love your site and I’ve used so many of your great ideas and recipes. I would LOVE your ice cream recipe too… could you send it to me please? It would be a great addition to our cookout tomorrow since we haven’t made ice cream in ages. Happy Fourth!!

11. CTY says

First -to take care of business–I would love the recipe; our neighbor just gave us peaches from his tree.
    For Independence Day we always attend the pancake breakfast at our church. Again this year our son is in charge of it. He decided that everyone should bring 4th themed decorations. He’s calling this part “The Decorations of Independence” ( in our family we regard the jokes that get the most groans as the best). I’m making fire crackers out of rolls of Lifesavers and little party favors with those snap things that pop on impact. The peak of the afternoon we will be enjoying our brand new central air conditioner (temp is s’posed to be 100+). Later there is a BBQ and some fireworks. Looking forward for a great day with family & friends.

Thanx for the Hot Fudge Recipe; I can’t tell you how many times you have lifted me to the Goddess level around here–this recipe should keep me up there for a long time.

Happy Independence Day!

12. Tina S says

I’ll add my name to the chorus of “please send me your mom’s homemade ice cream recipe,” please! We are going to an ice cream social tonight and I’d love to have a tried and true recipe. Homemade hot fudge topping will be a bonus! Thanks!

13. Marie Pavlovsky says

Great recipe, but I have an even easier one with fewer ingredients.
    Hot Fudge Sauce:
    Ingredients:
    1/3 C water
    2 squares (1oz each) unsweetened chocolate
    (or use 6 Tbsp Hershey’s cocoa + 2 Tbsp oil)
    1/2 C sugar
    dash of salt
    3 Tbsp margarine/butter
    1/4 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:
    Place water and chocolate in small saucepan, cook over low heat stirring constantly until chocolate is melted/all blended. Remove from heat, add sugar and salt. Return to medium heat and cook about 8 minutes or until thickened. Stir constantly. Remove from heat and mix in margarine/butter. Serve warm over ice cream. Yummy!

Wow! This is a great idea for the Fourth of July. I am a sucker for homemade recipes. Why should I buy from stores if I can make it at home? I was just actually thinking about desserts for the Fourth of July and as long as I can make my own hot fudge like this, I know I can whip up a good dessert and I’m so excited.

15. Carole says

Lovely work! Would you be happy to link it in to the current Food on Friday which is all about sauces? This is the link . I do hope to see you there. There are already quite a lot of links for you to check out. Cheers

I do consider all the ideas you’ve offered on your post. They’re very convincing and can definitely work. Nonetheless, the posts are too brief for newbies. Could you please lengthen them a bit from subsequent time? Thanks for the post.

17. Angelica says

how cute are those bananas??!! I am finding the most awesome things on this site, thank you!! I’ve tried the laundry soap (dry) and it is great! Going to make some of that stain buster REALLY soon as my son is in football. Thanks bunches!!

18. Nicole says

The flavor of this fudge sauce reminds me of See’s candy chocolate lollipops. Probably because I used dutch-processed cocoa. It’s yummy but because I also used salted butter maybe next time, I’ll just add 1/4 tsp or less. I also used a mix of bittersweet Ghirardelli and milk chocolate, mostly milk though after tasting what was simmering on the stove. I’m going to use this sauce for brownie sundaes tomorrow!

Hey there fantastic website! Does running a blog similar to
    this take a great deal of work? I have very little understanding of coding but I had been expecting to start
    my own blog in the near future. Anyhow, should you have any ideas
    or tips for new blog lovers feel free to share. I understand this
    is off topic but I just had to ask. Appreciate it!