A Simple Homemade Hot Fudge Sauce

homemade hot fudge

This Thursday we are having a very traditional at-home 4th of July celebration. Traditional BBQ spread (the hubster is promising something delicious from the smoker!), followed by piles of fireworks for my two pyros….I mean teenage boys….to set off, and a bonfire in the backyard with s’mores for SECOND dessert!

The reason s’mores will be SECOND dessert is because I always make homemade ice cream on the 4th of July and that will be FIRST dessert. :-)  I guarantee after fireworks the clan will be more than ready for a second dessert of s’mores. After all, are s’mores even really considered “dessert”?  I think they’re more of a NECESSITY on a summer holiday than anything!

My Mom’s homemade ice cream recipe is SO TASTY, I am always getting requests for it in the summertime. But I don’t mind, because it is also SO EASY. (I’m planning on doing a blog post on Friday with the recipe and pictures…but if you are thinking you might like to make up a batch for YOUR holiday get-together…drop me an email and I’ll shoot the recipe off to you.)

Homemade Hot Fudge

You can use pretty much any fruit or berry you like in this recipe…our favorites are peach, raspberry and strawberry, in no particular order. It’s so good that it really doesn’t need any toppings, but one year I discovered the joy of adding some Hot Fudge Sauce to the strawberry ice cream! Mmm, mmm, mmm. It’s like a frozen chocolate covered strawberry you eat with a spoon! :-)

In a pinch I will purchase ready made hot fudge from the store….but if you’ve ever had HOMEMADE Hot Fudge, you know there is NO comparison!  As a matter of fact, once you try this recipe…you’ll have a very hard time going back to store-bought.  My apologies in advance for that!

Homemade Hot Fudge Sauce

Adapted from epicurious.com

Homemade Hot Fudge

Simple Homemade Hot Fudge Sauce

Ingredients

• 2/3 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup light corn syrup
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 6 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips (1/2 a bag)
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

homemade hot fudge

Directions

Bring the whipping cream, corn syrup, brown sugar, cocoa, salt, and half of the chocolate chips to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring, until the chocolate is melted. Reduce the heat and cook on a low boil for approximately 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Add butter, vanilla, and the rest of the chocolate and stir until smooth.

homemade hot fudge

Cool sauce to warm before serving.

banana flowers

homemade hot fudge

The serve over any flavor ice cream of your choice! If you want to get FANCY…try adding a few “banana flowers”, some nuts, whipped cream, and of course a cherry on top!

The hot fudge sauce will keep for approximately a week in the refrigerator. Just allow it to completely cool before storing in an airtight container.

Be sure to check back on Friday when I will share my Mom’s homemade ice cream recipe….complete with party pictures. :-)  I am SO looking forward to a nice relaxing day at home with family and friends.

What are YOUR plans for the 4th of July??

Print Friendly
Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter6Pin on Pinterest9,153Google+2

Comments

1. Nicole says

Those bananas are adorable! I don’t love bananas so I never would’ve added them to my ice cream…that is until now. Flower-shaped? I love ‘em! Now I’m even thinking to just dip some in chocolate and freeze them as a healthier dessert choice when I get a craving for something chocolatey. Excellent, Jillee!

2. Emily says

My girls love frozen bananas. So much so that we buy 2 large bunches a week. When they get really ripe and haven’t been eaten, we chop them into bite size chunks and freeze them. They taste just like ice cream! This hot fudge sauce would be a great topping for a special treat! Love this site and all that you do, Jillee! You are amazing!!!

Mom’s Homemade Ice Cream

2 pkgs frozen or 2 baskets of fresh raspberries, strawberries or peaches (6-8 fresh)
      1/2 cup lemon juice
      2 1/2 cups sugar
      1 1/2 quarts half and half

Thaw berries if frozen. Mash the fresh or thawed berries, or peeled and sliced peaches with a potato masher or process in your blender or food processor. Process until a consistency you like. I like my fruit chunks a little bit bigger, so I don’t process/mash them too much.

Add all the ingredients to your ice cream freezer and churn! Churn in a 1 gallon ice cream freezer. Make half batch if your freezer is smaller than a gallon. I will make a large batch in my traditional ice cream maker, and a 1/2 batch in my Cuisinart ice cream maker.

• Trixie F says

Thank you, Jillee! You KNEW you couldn’t tease us with ice cream and then not deliver, right? Haha. I got a 1/2 bushel of peaches the other day and I’m running out of ideas. Peach Ice Cream it is!! :)

• Linda Barnhart says

Perfect! I didn’t want to bother you as I know you’re getting all organized and here I see the recipe! I already have the peaches defrosted and was just going to use the recipe out of the Cuisinart booklet. This will be so much better coming from you, knowing it’s been tested and approved by your sweet family.

Thanks so very much!

• Lisa says

Thank you so much for posting the recipe early. I am going to make it for my family later today.

Happy Birthday America, and thank you Jillee!

3. mary a elmore says

sounds wonderful, love bananas, never froze them, will try this recipe tomorrow

4. Julia C says

This sauce looks delicious! Please email me your Mom’s homemade ice cream recipe… I found our ice cream maker in the attic last week and we are planning to make homemade ice cream tomorrow for our picnic. (Now with yummy hot fudge sauce !) Thanks Jillian !

5. Gina says

Looks so yummy! Would you be so kind as to send me the ice cream recipe? Thanks!

6. Kathy says

I am sorry, but if you have the time….I would love that ice cream recipe to go along with the chocolate sauce recipe to serve my guests on the 4th. Would you email it to me.
    Thanks so much for sharing! I love your tips.
    Have a wonderful gathering.

7. Linda says

Would love your ice-cream recipe. I had just bought an ice cream maker and was going to hunt for a good recipe and this looks like it will fit the bill. I really like your idea on the bananas. Like the idea of freezing them in chocolate. Might even use the hot fudge recipe above as a dip for them as a treat.

8. Derris says

For INDEPENDENCE DAY, our small family with have a gathering with traditional items like burgers, etc.
    I would love for you to email me the ice cream recipe! Thanks Jillee