ADD/ADHD: It’s Not Just For Kids

adult ADD

A couple of months ago I posted about a natural alternative to prescription medication for kids with ADD/ADHD. It was a blend of essential oils that my sister Dori created for her son Jed, an energetic 7-year-old who was failing in school and labeled a “problem child” by the public education system.

Not only has “Jeddy’s Blend” turned Jed’s life around, it’s also touched the lives of thousands all over the world in just a few short months. And after reading many testimonials from Dori’s website (RichesToRagsByDori.com), I’ve come to realize it’s not just KIDS that deal with ADD/ADHD, but many, many ADULTS suffer as well.

As a matter of fact, ADD/ADHD runs rampant in my family. Myself, two of my sons, my daughter, and several of my nieces and nephews suffer from it to varying degrees. Adults actually have a harder time dealing with this disorder because the older you get, the more demands are placed on you. Pursuing a career, raising a family, running a household can be challenging for anyone, but if you have ADD/ADHD, it can feel downright impossible.

ADHD definition
Add to that the fact that many myths and misconceptions out there about adults with ADD/ADHD and it’s a tough thing to overcome.

Here are just a few of the more prevalent ones:

MYTH: ADD/ADHD is just a lack of willpower. Persons with ADD/ADHD focus well on things that interest them; they could focus on any other tasks if they really wanted to.
FACT: ADD/ADHD looks very much like a willpower problem, but it isn’t. It’s essentially a chemical problem in the management systems of the brain.

MYTH: ADD/ADHD isn’t a real medical disorder
FACT: ADD/ADHD has been recognized as a legitimate diagnosis by major medical, psychological, and educational organizations, including the National Institutes of Health and the U.S. Department of Education.

MYTH: Someone can’t have ADD/ADHD and also have depression, anxiety, or other psychiatric problems.
FACT: A person with ADD/ADHD is six times more likely to have another psychiatric or learning disorder than most other people. ADD/ADHD usually overlaps with other disorders.

MYTH: Unless you have been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD as a child, you can’t have it as an adult.
FACT: Many adults struggle all their lives with unrecognized ADD/ADHD impairments. They haven’t received help because they assumed that their chronic difficulties, like depression or anxiety, were caused by other impairments that did not respond to usual treatment.

Source: Dr. Thomas E. Brown, Attention Deficit Disorder: The Unfocused Mind in Children and Adults

The good news is that, despite the abundance of myths and misconceptions, the challenges of attention deficit disorder can be overcome.

And now there’s a powerful, all-natural tool to help!

jeddys blend oil

On June 30th Spark Naturals made Jeddy’s Blend available for purchase on their website in 5ml and 15 ml bottles. Kudos to Spark Naturals for recognizing the need for a natural alternative to ADD/ADHD and helping Dori get the word out to many more people (kids AND adults) who might benefit!

Here are just a few of the unsolicited testimonials that Dori has received from people who have tried Jeddy’s Blend and have seen real results:

“Jeddy’s blend has been awesome. Yesterday I had a horrible day with the verge of many panic attacks (I suffer from ADHD, Anxiety) and this blend prevented many full blown panic attacks and many crying spells. It is a winner for mommy :)”

“This stuff is amazing! I was sort of scared because I wanted it to work so much. The first night that I used it, when I smelled it I got tingles, honestly! I used it and I slept so soundly. I used it the next day in conjunction with my medication and I was so ‘calm’ for lack of a better word. I have been using the blend daily and just started to wean myself down on the medication. I have been using it on my daughter who is non-verbal and living with Autism, she has been much more calm and “present”.  It actually soothes me and I feel ‘normal’! I use it on my daughter in the evenings and she calms down, attends a lot more and sleeps so well. I have also cut her back on one of the medications that she takes for sleep and SHE IS SLEEPING PEACEFULLY THROUGHOUT THE NIGHT! This is a god-send. I keep waiting for something to happen for it to stop working. It has been about 8 days and it’s still working! I love it, I love you for creating it Dori! Thank you, thank you… a million times thank you!”

“I am a 56 yr old grandmother and didn’t know I suffered from ADHD until a few years ago when I was diagnosed. I was put on Adderal, but didn’t like the side affects nor the addictive properties. Being self employed my insurance does not cover prescriptions so I opted to discontinue its use. I am the office manager of our own construction company and was finding it more and more difficult to manage the day to day operations. I believe in herbal/alternative medications and have been searching for something that would work for me. I am new to essential oils which I found thru Jillee’s emails and I believe I have found a miracle in a bottle! After using Jeddy’s Blend for less than a week, I could tell a remarkable difference in myself. I actually start and FINISH projects now and feel I am much more organized than in the past. I use it every day and will continue to in the future. Thank You and God Bless you for all you do for others.”

“Just wanted to say thank you! Jeddy’s blend has been amazing. I wanted it for my son originally but I believe I have benefited more! My almost 3 year old asks for the oil durning tantrums and it calms him down a lot. I apply it to myself as well and it helps me deal with everything in a much better manner. Thank you, it’s been a real life saver around here!”

“Hello Dori. I wrote you a while back inquiring about Jeddy’s Blend for an almost 16 year old with testing anxiety. I wanted to let you know we’ve been using the blend for maybe a month now. My daughter says she sleeps so much more soundly now and rarely wakes up. Previously she would wake up 4-5 times a night. She’s also been doing much better on tests at school. But the best “test” she has passed was today. She finally passed her learner’s permit (driving) test. She had failed two previous times and she was so anxious. She said that once she got to the testing area she took a deep breath and felt calm and good. The night before I saw this information posted on Jillee’s FB page, I looked to the sky and asked for an answer to my daughter’s testing anxiety without having to resort to medications. And then this!! This was the answer for me. Thank you so much for this blend. I am going to need to order another one soon!!”

As I perused the testimonials on Dori’s website today, I couldn’t believe the stuff I was reading. Jeddy’s Blend truly HAS been nothing short of a miracle for many people.

In addition to medication and even natural alternatives such as essential oils, there are many other self-help suggestions for adults with ADD/ADHD:

exercise

Exercise and eat right. Regular exercise helps work off excess energy and aggression and soothes and calms the body. Limit sugary foods in order to even out mood swings.

sleeping

Get plenty of sleep. When you’re tired, it’s even more difficult to focus, manage stress, stay productive, and keep on top of your responsibilities.

alarm clock

Practice better time management. Set deadlines for everything, even for seemingly small tasks. Use timers and alarms to stay on track. Take breaks at regular intervals.

challenges

Embrace challenges. ADD people thrive on challenge! As long as you don’t get too perfectionistic, you’ll get a lot done and stay out of trouble.

coffee break

Leave time between engagements to gather your thoughts. Transitions are difficult for ADD’ers, and even short breaks can help.

Relax

Put yourself in “timeout”. When you are upset or overstimulated, take a timeout. Go somewhere. Calm down.

neuropsychiatry

Remember that what you have is a neuropsychiatric condition. It is genetically transmitted. It is caused by biology, by how your brain is wired. It is NOT a character flaw or a moral failing.

The more aware we are of how many adults struggle with ADD/ADHD, the more people will be able to seek help.  Because it’s definitely not just for kids anymore.

Receive a 10% discount on any Spark Naturals order using the code JILLEE.

Facebook549Twitter10Pinterest2185Google+6

Comments

1. Angie says

I have been wanting to try Jeddy’s Blend out for several months bc my daughter was just diagnosed with ADHD, and I was diagnosed when I was a kid, but my parents were some of those that didn’t believe ADHD was real so I didn’t get help for it. I just wish one bottle wasn’t so expensive!! Is there a cheaper version somewhere bc I cannot justify spending that much on a tiny bottle that will run out quickly on the tight budget we have set for ourselves.

• CTY says

Have you considered using a diffuser for the oils. Spark naturals suggest 3 drops in a diffuser. You can diffuse 3 drops once a day- when you feel it is needed most. Depending on the thickness of the drop in EOs you can expect to get the following: 15mL Bottle – 320-400 drops; 5 mL Bottle – 100-120 drops. So for the $58 ($53 with Jillee’s 10% discount) bottle you can expect 100+ diffusing times (53 cents or less per time)– You could start with the 5ml bottle first to see if it works.
        Nothing ventured, nothing gained.–Benjamin Franklin

• Diane says

Angie, you can buy the 5 ml bottle for $25.20. You can put about 5-10 drops in a roller ball bottle and top it off with fractionated coconut oil to help with the cost. If you don’t feel relief, add a few more drops to the roller bottle (be careful opening a roller ball that’s already filled – but it can be done!).

Spark Naturals also sells the roller bottles for 1.25.

I’ve used this and you’ll be amazed at how many different things it can relieve.

• Sky says

Angie, you can find certified essential oils way way cheaper on Amazon,iherb,and puritan’s pride. Then you can blend your own the main ingredients in Jeddys blend are:lavender, Sweet Marjoram, Roman Chamomile, Ylang Ylang, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Spruce, Rosewood, Blue Tansy, Frankincense, Vetiver, Patchouli . You can start with the Lavender,Roman Chamomile, and Ylang Ylang. These 3 are extremely calming.there are lots of sources online that you can look up each of these ingredients and start with the ones you can afford. Mix them together using a little more of the first ingredient and working down for instance 10drops lavender, 5 drops chamomile and 3-5 drops Ylang Ylang mix together. You’re done! Try it out by rubbing on your temples, bottom of feet. I personally use straight Ylang Ylang to relax. And yes I do have ADD. I have been dealing with health issues for 20yrs and have been using essential oils that are certified from the above companies with great success. NOW brand is a good one. You can use essential oils without breaking the bank.just takes a little more effort.

• Kiely says

Hi Angie, another thing to consider is the comparative cost of prescription meds. Even with health insurance, most ADD/ADHD medications can cost more than $50 a refill. I encourage you to seek natural remedies rather than pharmaceutical, but either way, if it’s truly a necessity, then it’s worth shuffling around your monthly budget to accommodate some form of treatment. :)

The GAPS diet has worked wonders on people who want to cure themselves and their kids of ADD/ADHD. It also has so many other benefits. However, it isn’t for the weak-willed… and it may be easier to just buy some essential oils like Jeddy’s blend to help the symptoms.

If you are looking for a permanent CURE, though, you should look into the GAPS diet. :)

Essential oils are awesome, I use them every day.

• CTY says

There is no cure for the common cold either–so does that mean you don’t use anything for relief? Nothing for congestion, or headache, or minor cough, or cold sore, or throat irritation.

• Jason Toro says

Relief is one thing. “Permanent Cure”, which are the words rebecca used is a totally different thing. It shows she doesn’t understand what ADHD is. It is not a condition you come down with, like a headache or cold, which are temporary. Telling people that a certain diet will cure them of ADHD is pure myth and pretty disingenuous especially when she is selling the supposed cure.

• MsManaged says

The GAPS diet isn’t something sold; it’s a completely free way of changing eating habits – free, except – of course – what you spend on groceries… The food can be bought anywhere; it’s not sold under any label or anything like that. There are many free resources online and available via a local library to learn more about eating in accordance with the GAPS guidelines and recommendations. It has and can cure many diseases and helped with symptoms and side effects of many others. GAPS stands for “Gut And Psychology Syndrome” and was designed based on extensive research conducted by Dr. Natasha Cambell-McBride, MD. It is designed mainly for those suffering from Autism (which my son was diagnosed with), Dyspraxia, Dyslexia, ADD, ADHD, Schizophrenia and Depression. More information can be found here: http://www.gaps.me/

• Ellen says

Good post; good answer. Jason’s comments smack of being a troll or a BigPharm shill. If one looks at what the psychiatric “profession” now labels as diseases, one instantly realizes that this pseudo-profession is nothing more than a creator of false diseases with extremely toxic “treatments”. I’d say that whatever ails us is due to starvation in spite of eating lots of food that is nutritionally deficient; vaccine damage due to the horrific substances contained in them; poisoned water due to the addition of hydrofluorosilicic acid to it; GMO “foods”; being sprayed like bugs in the upper atmosphere with huge amounts of aluminum, barium, strontium and who knows what else; the seemingly universal drugging of anyone that can be convinced that drugs are the solution to their ills; damaged digestive tracts due to the above………..I am sure this is not a complete list but it’ll do for starters ;-)

3. Fanny says

Snake oil. It is extremely irresponsible to be selling concoctions that have not been tested scientifically and approved by medical bodies. Shame on you.

On another note, you might look into Joint Hypermobility Syndrome as a cause for ADHD, as there is a direct link between the two and JHS encompasses many other troubles people may be experiencing.

Pseudomedicine is never the way to go.

• Diane H. says

As a living human guinea pig for traditional medicine and big pharma and the political money usurping machine. I have chosen a natural holistic approach to treat my needs. I have personally experienced tremendous relief and elimination of traditional pharmaceuticals without the extreme side effects that will effect my body and organs as I age. Everyone has a CHOICE. If you don’t agree with THEIR choice, because it’s not the same as YOUR choice then say nothing. Read studies beyond those released by the American health agencies and supplemented by the American government. Alternatives have been proven effective and are currently used in other countries. Incidentally, those countries don’t seem to have the same medical conditions that exist in America.

• Gwyn says

Diane H is absolutely rite! I too have direct personal experience. As a diagnosed sufferer of a chronic often acute illness I can tell you that EO’s can replace “scientifically approved” medications without also creating many of the side effects that often require more “approved” medications and or possible long term complications. Without getting into long details that don’t matter I am able to create the same side effects with EO’s that the specialists use ans an indicator that pharmaceuticals are working, I am also able to control those side effects myself by altering dosage (which is what they do with the pharmaceuticals it just takes much longer) and I know I’m not damaging my body in other ways or polluting it with synthetic man made “medicine’s” I’m using all natural nature created “medicine”. While there is a place for all remedies east, west, man made, natural, combo’s I prefer to use natural methods whenever possible and while there certainly is “snake oil” (as you call it) out there Essential Oil’s or “concoctions” have been used, tested and proven effective for far longer than any of the “approved…by medical bodies” medications you are referring to. Please don’t call someone out the way you have for simply sharing something they believe in. No one here bills themselves as a medical professional or represents themselves as knowing anything other than from personal experience and or research and do it in a very responsible way. You and I are welcome to take or disregard anything written here as we see fit and while offering an opinion always seems welcome, scolding and using terms like “snake oil” and “irresponsible” is well… unnecessary and in this case in my experience wrong. Speak from personal experience or stay silent and then you are speaking of what you know and can enjoy and benefit from the multitude of great ideas shared here. If you can’t keep an open mind then you probably shouldn’t waste time reading through blogs. Yes, I am passionate about this subject (in case it’s not obvious) and I’m sorry if I went on a bit too much.

• Alison Whyte says

Wow it’s amazing how judgemental someone can be when they obviously know nothing about essential oils! I have personally used them in a clinical environment for 6 years to help people with Autism, Learning difficulties and Challenging behaviour.

Pharmaceuticals cannot ‘own’ essential oils so that is why there is not a lot of studies done. However this does not mean it cannot be an important tool in a holistic approach towards a patient.

Where do you think a lot of the medication comes from these days…manufactured in labs using essential oils as the basis. This is why there are more side effects to medication, not that essential oils don\t have them either.

Shame on you for making people feel bad about wanting to help their loved ones or themselves!

• mdoe37 says

Snake Oil? What’s the harm in trying it? If it works wonderful, if it doesn’t then try something else. Attempting to delay or avoid traditional pharmaceuticals in this case isn’t going to kill someone, like avoiding treatment for Stage 4 cancer might.

• Rebecca Ednie says

I absolutely agree! I am an RN and while I would never substitute oils for medications, what harm is there in trying it? Even if a placebo effect is how it works, if people feel relief then why not? It isn’t so expensive that someone is going to go broke over it or lose their home like some ‘treatments’! Many mainstream physicians recommend natural remedies and treatments these days. Medicines aren’t always the best or only treatments for many reasons.

• Bobbi says

Bottom line is, you don’t have to try it if you don’t want to. Unless something affects you personally, it’s hard to understand how it can limit your life. I have ADD and I am willing to try anything that may help alleviate my symptoms. I take Adderall, but some days are tough, and I don’t like the side effects. I am going to give this a try.

• Anita says

Thanks for the good laugh! The first thought that
      went through my head when I read the words “snake oil” is that this was going to be an additional miracle cure. Snake oil must be good for something, maybe akin to fish oil.

Haha! That’s too funny. My friend’s husband calls her essential oils “snake oils” in a loving way, though he has greatly benefited from them. At least they are safe to at least try =). There has actually been a lot of research done on essential oils, which are actually nature’s medicine. Our bodies are not created to handle pharmaceuticals, but they thrive on essential oils. Check out aromaticscience.com and pubmed.gov for research done on essential oils.

• Ellen says

Well, Fanny dear, aren’t you just lucky that you are not forced to use these wonderful tools. On the other hand, many of us or our children ARE forced to use the poisons that you seem to value so highly. Essential oils have been around much longer than the pseudo-profession of allopathy and quite frankly, many of us are sick and tired of having our health choices severely restricted due to the monopolistic behavior of the medical mafia. This started out as a country with the freedom for folks to make their own decisions and it has, over time, sunk to what we have now: a system controlled by the medical mafia that destroys any ideas and people who don’t subscribe to drugs, drugs, drugs, surgery, radiation, chemotherapy, and more drugs. Oh, wait, did I forget to mention drugs?

I congratulate the folks who are ever interested in looking past the conventional and forced-upon-us paradigm. A good share of us can see that emperor, indeed, has no clothes.

4. Almarie de Villiers says

People have been using herbal remedies for centuries. It has only been in the last couple of decades that we have synthetic pharmeceuticals given to us for healing. I trust nature more than I trust chemists. I’d rather use herbs and keep to a good, healthy diet than go to a doctor. Period.

5. Robin says

I’m sorry for your nephew’s trouble in school but I have to say I’m a bit offended and saddened by your statement that he was “labeled a “problem child” by the public education system.” I assure you as a teacher in the public education system that we don’t have such a label. In general, teachers try to help children and no one goes into education because they don’t like children or because they want to fail them. We don’t see a child with ADHD as a “problem child” but as someone who has a medical condition that makes a traditional school setting a difficult place to be successful. My little brother has severe ADHD and he had a hard time in school, too, although this was in the late ’80s and early ’90s. I have seen the struggle from both sides, personally and professionally, and I know how hard it is. I just wish you wouldn’t further this idea that the public education system is somehow the enemy. The “system” is constantly being overhauled by political forces that are not necessarily beneficial to children, but at the same time, the “system” is made up of teachers who love children and want to help all of them be successful and work very hard for very little money to achieve that goal. We need support, just like your nephew does, not attacks.

• Dori in MO says

‘Au contrair’, myself and my brother who are both ADHD were labeled ‘problem child’ in the 50s and 60s. My sister’s grandson and my grandson both were labeled ‘problem child’ in the last decade. Both of the younger boys are brilliant (not just proud grammy saying so) and diagnosed ADHD. They both can pick up on things so fast that it drove the teachers crazy trying to keep them busy and out of trouble (just like grammy). My DGS had some teachers that were really empathetic about the ADHD and then he had a couple that were very negative about it. His kindergarten teacher almost ruined him for school because she refused to acknowledge there was such a thing. DGS now has a full ride to college due to his computer skills that allow him to channel his ADHD.
        Don’t yell at me I am definitely for special ed teachers–both DS and DDIL are special ed teachers.
        Just wish there had been special ed in the 50s and 60s for my brother and me.

What is your opinion of this?

As Dori’s sisters, we knew that Jeddy was required to sign a legal document as a 1st GRADER releasing the school of any liability because, they considered him a problem. If it’s offensive to you, you can imagine how Dori and Jeddy felt.

Bottom line; Parents need to be educated and know that they have choices and, schools need to stop influencing worried parents by recommending prescriptive med solutions.

• Telina says

And that right there is why so many people are looking for alternative forms of education.

I can’t even begin to imagine how that made Dori feel, let alone Jeddy. That is absolutely horrid! I realize that you are in the States but the same thing happens here in Canada as well … and often.

My great niece who is just going into grade two has been through 4 schools because of this issue. She has been humiliated to the point that she has become extremely destructive to herself and others because of the way she has been treated by those that are responsible for her education. In one instance the teacher put her on a time out until she calmed down. My great niece had dared to ask the teacher to explain something further as she didn’t understand it the first time. My great niece was so upset over being put on the time out that she was terrified to ask the teacher if she may go to the washroom. This in turn lead to her having an accident. The teacher ridiculed her in front of the other students calling her a baby and maybe she should ask mommy to put her in diapers. When my niece confronted the teacher and the principle about this she was told that this is how they chose to deal with my great niece as she is a “problem child”. They felt that my further humiliating her they would get the results from her that they wanted.

So forgive me for having absolutely no faith in the schooling system whatsoever. I will certainly be recommending the Jeddy’s blend to my niece in the hopes that will help her daughter and her.

Generally I am not a vengeful or spiteful person, but I can’t help but feel that teachers and others in the schooling systems everywhere, that have treated children in such horrible ways, don’t suffer the same degradation and humiliation themselves.

*takes a deep breath* Rant over. My heart goes out to all that have experienced anything in relation to being or having a “problem child”.

• Andrea says

Pro teacher school board member here. We all know there isn’t an official designation called “problem child” (at least not anymore), and this is probably a rhetorical generalization of how kids in our public school system get categorized.

Teachers are often the victims too in many of these situations, because they are the flotsam and jetsam of the constantly changing flow that we politicians create. It’s helpful for the public to understand just how little autonomy a public school teacher actually has.

But I think in this instance, there was probably no offense intended.

• MB says

Robin, I’m glad there are some teachers out there that can rise above the “system” that, as you say, is ‘constantly being overhauled by political forces that are not necessarily beneficial to children.’ I think you’re unaware of the situation in a lot of public schools, though. There are definitely “problem child” labels, if not officially, then in the way some teachers treat ‘difficult’ children. It’s sad, it’s wrong, but it happens fairly often. It isn’t easy to fight the ‘system’ and there are often negative consequences for teachers who try it. I’m sure she didn’t mean to offend the good teachers out there, but you have to have seen some of this in your experience in the public schools (or really any schools, honestly.) It’s just too common. Read the comments on this blog, and you’ll see a number of instances of it. I’m really glad that you are able to rise above an unfortunate norm, though. Perhaps your experiences with your brother had an effect on that?

6. Audrey says

Ok, probably a dumb question, but how do you use this? Do you put it on your body? Where? Based on the article, comments, and the little I know, I don’t think you ingest it, right?

I rub Jeddy’s blend on the bottom of the feet and under the toes and then rub it in with my hands. You will get the benefit of it as well doing this. You can also put it on the back of the neck, spine and on the wrists.

7. Virginia Gal says

I too would like to know how to use this product? I went back through the archives and found where she mentioned she put it on her son’s feet? Just a drop? On the bottom or top? I could use some details. I am considering trying this for my son who has some impulse control and lots of anxiety. Do you think it might work? He has not been diagnosed with ADD or ADHD but has a lot of anxiety, meltdowns, and emotion control issues. Looking for ways to avoid medicating!

• Jeff says

I use this blend and it does great things for anxiety. I rub it under my toes and on the ends of my toes. I rub some down my brain stem toward my back. It has done a very good job for me and keeps me from having to take medicine for anxiety and stress.

• Aussie gal says

I would look into Pyroluria if I had a child with anxiety or ADD or ADHD. It will be a light bulb moment. A simple urine test will tell you if you or your children have it (genetically linked). There are lots of different symptoms, many which aren’t necessarily applicable. I was just diagnosed and so was my daughter. My daughter is borderline (10) and I am elevated (19). It is all new to me but worth investigating. I only have some of the symptoms like anxiety, cold hands and feet, digestive issues, foggy head sometimes, lack of focus if in a noisy environment, very sensitive to loud noise (drives me nuts!) anxiety and a few other minor things. Other symptoms can even be Tourettes, ADD and many others. I think EVERYONE should be tested as it is fairly easily treated. Basically your body doesn’t absorb certain vitamins which leads to other symptoms. It may be life changing for you. Not so recognised in Australia (we are slower here to accept as the pharmaceutical companies will lose money with this diagnosis). Good luck

8. Jeff says

I have used Jeddy’s Blend and it works great to help with my anxiety and stress. I apply it under my toes and on the ends of each toe. I also wipe it from my brain stem down my neck. I have used it on my temples and my wrists when I have headaches too. It has really helped me a lot.

9. Emilie says

I have struggled with ADD for most of my life but because of not having health insurance and being on a limited budget I haven’t been able to really do anything about getting it treated.

I am on a very limited budget but would love to try Jeddy’s Blend. Do you know how long the two sizes of vials usually last with the recommended use? The price seems daunting to me, but if it lasts a decent length of time it may make it seem more reasonable.

Thanks.

If you purchase Jeddy’s Blend you could order the glass roller bottle that they sell in their accessories. Everyone is different in the amounts that they use. If you want to make it last longer try adding some into the roller bottle with a little fractionated coconut oil to dilute it a little more and see if it works for you.

• Virginia Gal says

OK at the risk of sounding really foolish, I ordered the roller bottle along with the oil, but cannot for the life of me figure out how to fill/use the darn thing! What am I missing? We pried the top off, but I’m not sure how to fill it or get the roller part to work?

Thanks in advance!

10. Kelley H says

It is interesting to not only read in your column, but the many comments following it, that ADD/ADHD runs rampant in families. One piece that hasn’t been touched on is the fact that most people living with ADD/ADHD are living with food allergies, most of which are undiagnosed. Food allergies are hereditary & genetic, and are terribly under-diagnosed.

I have been counseling families for the last 16 years on food allergies. I’ve walked families through food allergy testing at home and at the doctors office. (Not through typical blood & skin testing, as those give mostly false negatives..but through provocation neutralization and/or elimination challenge allergy testing, which are the most accurate testing available). I’ve sat with many children living with ADD or ADHD and watched their astonishment as they were found allergic to so many different foods. Some were even adults who never suspected they had food allergies! But the most wonderful experience is seeing a Mother & Father at a follow up appointment, crying with relief that their child was not only off medicine for ADD/ADHD, but that they were totally different children off of their newly diagnosed food allergies! I could write a whole weeks worth of columns on food allergies and their impact on our lives. But as far as ADD/ADHD, I encourage families to find a Dr of Environmental Medicine and look into food allergies. Your lives will change…and you will give hope to future generations that they can successfully treat ADD/ADHD! If anyone has any questions, feel free to email me as well. I’m always happy to help in any way I can! keldal(at)hotmail(dot)com

• Pamela says

I have never seen this commented on either and was going to let others know that a gluten inolerance or celiac disease is the underlying factor in many illness including add/adhd hypersensitive people. Gluten intolerance is a very easy thing to be tested for at an allergist/immunologist appointment with blood work or skin testing. There are many articles and MD’s who have been changing the diets of children who have been diagnosed with add/adhd, bi-polar, RA, many autoimmune disorders and have found great significant changes in the children & adults. Many have been able to be taken off of Add/Adhd meds and have now been rediagnosed with gluten intolerance and not Add/Adhd. I am a celiac and there is a huge differrence in diet change eliminating 22 meds to none unless I have an attack or been glutenized. Its worth checking into. I use oils daily including jeddys blend that I made and have tweaked to fit my needs.Its a wonderful recipe and much better than any pill.

11. Victoria says

I bought Jeddy’s Blend oil for my daughter, but the oil straight from the bottle is wayyy to strongly scented, as she has sensory issues. Any ideas on what to do so she can use it? We’ve had such high hopes for this helpful treatment for her ADHD/Anxiety/ODD/Depression…at 10 she goes through so much. Thanks for any guidance!!

• Gwyn says

Victoria, I don’t have any experience with Jeddy’s blend specifically but I do know how sensitive some can be to scent and have a niece with sensory issues. So just a few ideas that might help, no guarantees though…first I would put it in a roller bottle so not as much scent or oil comes out at once, then try applying just a little at first on the feet. Sometimes they get used to the scent and if you are using it regularly the scent stops registering at least as intensely. As that happens you can apply a little more as needed. If it’s still too strong maybe mix with some fractionated coconut oil and or if there is a scent she tolerates add some of that on top to “mask” whatever scents are objectionable…though it probably won’t “take over” or be the same but worth a try… My niece doesn’t mind lavender and loves Peace and Calming which has a strong orange tone. Maybe someone else has some more knowledge on this…you might try asking Rebecca at Camp Wanderer, good luck I hope it works out for both of you.

• Pamela says

You can use fractionated coconut oil found at any health food store for relatively cheaper than purchasing online and paying shipping. You can cut it as much as you’d like. The concentration blend has fco in it when it is bottled and sold. This will make the blend less strong smelling. The smell of almost all the oils but birch give my husband a migraine headache and I use oils on him daily, bottoms of his feet, and my household so the oils that I blend have to be cut. A little goes a long way, less is more when it comes to essential oils.

12. Susan Legere says

I have been “scatter brained” my whole life! I got diagnosed with ADHD as an adult and would love to try Jeddy’s Blend. I am a teacher and my husband is a counselor in a middle school. Many parents are interested in alternatives to meds. If I got to try it myself and on my daughters, I would share my experiences with students and parents. Thank you for this chance!

13. Susan McLaughlin says

The medication I am taking seems to have me “Stuck” and I know my physician is going to want to try something else.
    I don’t really do well with meds, adverse reactions,bleck!
    I think it’s time for Jeddy’s Blend.
    Would love to win your giveaway of JB and get my act together as well as my house!

14. Jerri Ray Johnson says

I’m interested in this but need to know what types of oils are in it. There are allergies to consider. I don’t use things that I don’t know what is in them.

I am receiving mine today and I’m so excited waiting for the mail lady! Wedding party a week from tomorrow and I am hoping it helps helps me get my it-shay together in my head :-) This is my last resort before relying on a chemical prescription method. I will let you know. Thank you Jillee for the discount and, of course, Dori!

Hi Jillee,

We developed a natural alternative to Adderral. Proven to help folks with ADD focus – a great natural lift. I’d love to provide free samples for your readers and work with you. Few tips on ADHD (we work with PhD doctors and nurses in the field):

1.) Rewards for good behavior must be INSTANT – ADHD brings a lack of executive function – they don’t understand time – tomorrow might as well be next year.
    2.) Rewards for good behavior must be NOVEL every time. Give a regular kid an oreo cookie every time they turn their homework in and they are golden. The second time you give an ADHD child his reward it had better not be an Oreo cookie. Novelty is absolutely key.
    3.) In terms of product, you really need something proven to build the exact neurotransmitter categories that are lacking for people with ADHD. That’s what GungHo does. Because it isn’t a drug, you don’t get the grinding of teeth, the terrible crash, the pressure in the back of your head…

17. Pamela says

Angie, I agree with Renee, however I wouldn’t use Amazon for my oils. You can purchase diectly from the manufacturers of the oils that Spark Naturals is using at a significant less price. Check the MSDS sheets and you will be able to see where the oils are from. I know of several reputable manufacturers that I did business with and had their accounts for many years and visited two myself during my employment. You can purchase almost every oil for the cost of the 15ml bottle and make enough of the blend for your own daily use. I do have several of Spark Naturals oils, they are a new company to hit the oil market and their customer service is lacking in my opinion after waiting for well over a week for a reply to an order that did not include the special they ran, I still have not heard from them. After reviewing their pricing it is comparable to the MLM’s, which have many thousand reps that are paid out of the prices of each bottle. With cutting the middle man out this should be a much more economical way to sell their oils but I haven’t seen the difference in pricing when comparing the major 3. You can email me at pamelaspassions@aol.com for the manufacturers and numbers to reach them if you’d like. I purcased each oil I did not have individually for a total of $86 & made the blend myself with the original recipe prior to Spark Naturals launch into the oil industry. As Renee stated you can make the oil and lots of it for a fraction of the cost as you need it using a few oils at a time, you may find you do not need them all as many have the sedating, calming effects. I hope this helps you some and you are able to find something to help your daughter.

• Pamela says

Forgot to add, I purchased 1 ounce bottles, 30mls, for the total cost of $86 including shipping. You can purchase directly from them and even get smaller bottles to cut your cost. I paid $16 for 1 ounce of the identical frankencense, over a 80% savings on one oil. Do a little research and you will find what you are looking for.

This is not to discourage anyone from ordering from Spark Naturals only an alternative for some that simply can not afford to pay premium retail pricing for the same products.

18. Ila says

I am intrigued by this. My son took Concerta for ADD but lost so much weight and at 12 years old and 70 lbs it made him more of a target for bullying. While on medication for depression, they want to add anxiety as well as ADD medication and I don’t want my son on so much medication. I would love to try this product. Thank you for educating your readers about this product.

19. Julie says

I am going to try this for my son who refuses to take his ADHD meds after 5 years of taking them. Exactly how do I use it in a diffuser? Where can I purchase one of these diffusers? Is it just like a humidifier? And how much water should I add to the 3 drops if I’m going to do it this way?

20. C Lusk says

I have suffered for years not knowing why I get so nervous inside and unable to discribe whats going on. As a child I could not pay attention in school, they called it day dreaming. Always just want to do something I didnt care why….learning languages, I didn’t care about nouns, adverbs etc., just wanted to learn the words. The list goes on. I have two grandson that have been being treated for ADHD, after learning more about what they are going thru I told them I was sorry to have passed on to them this terrible thing! As an adult I have a hard time still focusing at times, anxiety and super multi tasking. I got a small bottle of Jeddy’s blend that I have been using for a little over a week now. I am truly excited with the results. I am more calm, get more done with out so many tasks going on at a time. I sleep like a baby. I will be ordering more to give to my grandson’s to try out. I will say I do have to use it strickly on my feet due to allergies the smell can get me. I am however pleased the smell isnt bad or overwhelming!Thank You!!

21. Estelwyn says

I finally got around to ordering some of Jeddy’s Blend a few weeks ago. I don’t have a roller ball for the oil, so until I can pick one up (or find a better solution), I filled an small empty pill bottle with some of my favorite unscented lotion and added about 15 drops. I use it on my feet, and I don’t think my feet have ever been better moisturized! I feel somewhat calmer and more focused just from the scent of the oil coming up from my feet. I’ve never been diagnosed with ADD, I’m very scatterbrained and rather easily distracted by pretty much anything. Having the lotion blend on my feet has been helpful in recent weeks. If it can stand up to finals, I’ll definitely be impressed.

22. Jackie says

Be careful because treatment results are different from person to person. I was diagnosed with ADD at the age of 6 and still very much have it at 29. I hated taking meds (and if my children ever have problems with ADD I will NEVER put them on meds because of the horrible side effects, I would just homeschool instead) so when I was in 8th grade I tried some vitamin regime that people were talking about…and I almost failed that year. One thing that people are way wrong on is that people think that ADD just means you’re hyper. It is attention deficit disorder so without my normal pills I could not pay attention at all. If someone is tapping their pencil or the clock is clicking or any other little distraction goes on that’s all you can focus on. I had such a hard time. I tried all sorts of things to help besides taking Ritalin but nothing would work except the Ritalin, and like I said, that medicine is horrible. Throughout life I have just had to learn to cope, from making lists of daily tasks, to setting timers to keep me on track…even to this day I use flylady.net to help me with my house work (awesome site, definitly check it out!) I’m not saying this won’t work, I’m just saying, results should be very fast, don’t wait until your kid is failing school, or ADD is taking over your own life to realize it’s not the right treatment for you. Do your research most importantly!! In high school I was determined to learn as much as I could about what I have so that things would be easier for me, and it really has helped in the long run.

1. […] There are several myths about ADHD and other differences. It is one of my passions to educate anyone I can about learning differences and how they are really just the differences between us all. But because of the fast paced, grab all you can world we live in, it can shine a light on what is often misconstrued as a behavioral problem or weakness when in reality it’s just who we are. If we have to label it, so be it! I know a thing or two about this: my daughter is diagnosed Asperger Syndrome and I am diagnosed Anxiety Disorder. So what to we do? We roll with it! If you are an adult with ADHD here is a GREAT article on myths about ADHD and some wonderful therapeutic ways to cope from onegoodthingbyjillee.com. […]