Oil Pulling For A Healthier Mouth!

oil pulling
Now this is going to strike MANY of you as really STRANGE and don’t worry, I won’t be offended if you just don’t “get it” at first, because I didn’t! As a matter of fact, I read about this thing called “oil pulling” several months ago and thought THAT’S CRAZY! Then I heard my sister Rebecca was doing it and I already knew SHE was a little crazy! ;-) But when my daughter Britta said SHE had started doing it, I had to admit maybe I had been a little too hasty in my crazy labeling. Especially after she had two dental check-ups in a row with no cavities (our family’s teeth are “challenged” in the cavity department.) Her teeth have been noticeably whiter too!

oil pulling

OK…I think I probably need to back up here and explain what this “oil pulling” actually is. It’s a strange name for a seemingly strange practice. Basically, it is swishing oil in your mouth for a short time each day to improve oral health. Kind of like using an oil as mouthwash. The premise is much the same as Oil CLEANSING which I have posted about in the past HERE. Oil dissolves oil and so it is able to break up and swish away plaque and toxins without harming your teeth or gums. It also has the added effect of whitening teeth and improving gums.

It DOES sound strange, right?? But it’s hard to argue with Britta’s results and THOUSANDS of years of Ayurvedic medicine, the traditional medicine of India.

Here’s a quick rundown on how it’s done.

How To Do Oil Pulling:

• Put 1-2 teaspoons of oil in your mouth. If it’s cold, allow the oil to melt.
  • Swish the oil around in your mouth by pushing, pulling, and drawing it through your teeth for 15 to 20 minutes. The best time is in the morning before eating breakfast, but can be done before any meal.
  • Spit out the oil. NEVER SWALLOW because it is now loaded with bacteria and other nasty stuff.
  • Always spit into the garbage, not the sink. Coconut il will harden below 76 degrees. NOT good for your drain pipes.
  • Rinse your mouth out with water, then brush your teeth.

Many advocates of oil pulling suggest safflower, sunflower or vegetable oil; but studies have found higher quality oils to be more effective. The anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal properties of organic extra-virgin coconut oil make it the perfect choice for oil pulling. It also has a milder taste.

oil pulling

I used 2 teaspoons of organic extra virgin coconut oil and added 2 drops each of Shield essential oil blend and Melaleuca essential oil. (Many studies have demonstrated Melaleuca’s effectiveness against a number of oral bacteria. That’s the reason it is added to everything from toothpaste to mouthwash to “treated” toothpicks.)

Here is a handy list of other essential oils and their specific uses that could be used as an enhancement to oil pulling that I found over at Camp Wander:

oil pulling

1. Shield: General immune system, mouth and gum health, teeth problems, halitosis, cold, flue, sore throat, virus.
2. Oregano: Flu, cold, virus, sore throat, swollen glands, cold sores, herpes, anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, antibiotic, anti-viral.
3. Clove: Mouth and gum, analgesic, anti-biotic, antiseptic.
4. Frankincense: Analgesic, cold and flu, mouth surgery, mouth trauma, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory.
5. Geranium: mouth and gum, throat, laryngitis, analgesic, antiseptic.
6. Grapefruit: Cleansing, detoxifying, anti-septic, antibacterial.
7. Lemon: Cleansing, detoxifying, cold, sore throat, anti-septic.
8. Lemongrass: Herpes, halitosis.
9. Melaleuca: Cold, flu, immune system, braces irritation, gum and mouth sores, congestion, herpes, anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, antiseptic.
10. Myrrh: Mouth, teeth and gums, cold and flu, tonsillitis, anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, antiseptic.

Receive a 10% discount on any Spark Naturals order using the code JILLEE.

I am extremely new to this oil pulling thing and I have to admit it was a bit unnerving the first time I put a spoonful of solid coconut oil in my mouth…but it literally melted in seconds and after that it was basically like swishing mouthwash around in your mouth, but for a lot longer. :-) My face and cheeks muscles actually got kind of sore when I did it, but I’m sure they will eventually get in better shape.

oil pulling

I think I need to point out that after doing a lot of research on this, there are a lot of wild claims out there about oil pulling and how it “pulls” toxins out of your bloodstream and can cure everything from arthritis to heart disease. While I don’t totally discount these claims, for now I’m focusing on its’ proven effectiveness at reducing harmful bacteria in the mouth and improving oral and dental health.

Basically I see no downside to trying it and hopefully I will have the same results as Miss (soon to be Mrs.) Britta! :-)

Have you ever tried Oil Pulling?

1. Effect of oil pulling on Streptococcus mutans count in plaque and saliva
2. Effect of oil pulling on plaque-induced gingivitis: A randomized, controlled, triple-blind study
3. Effect of oil pulling therapy on dental caries (streptococcus mutans count in plaque and saliva) as well as plaque-induced gingivitis
4. Effect of Oil Pulling on Plaque & Gingivitis
5.Effect of oil pulling on halitosis and microorganisms causing halitosis: A randomized controlled pilot trial
6. Mechanism of oil-pulling therapy – in vitro study

Facebook236Twitter12Pinterest2959Google+8

Comments

1. Diane says

I have read that oil pulling can loosen fillings, not sure exactly how, but it is something to be aware of that people say might happen. I’ve done it a few times, usually when my gum is aching around my crown. I also do a salt water rinse before or after, so I’m never sure which is making the pain go away, but oil pulling “properly” takes too long, and I get bored and my mouth gets TIRED, so I wont be doing it often.

• Sally says

Diane,I talked about this with my dentist last night (he was impressed with how my gums have improved, btw) and he said that the effectiveness of Listerine is that it has essential oils in it – so the oil pulling definitely won’t affect fillings!

• Gayla says

Hello, I was wondering if your fillings are porcelain? I also have a crown, which had root canal therapy done to it.. the removal of the root, and filled with medical grade cement to hold my front tooth in place. So I’m a little hesitant to oil pull with everything I’ve read regarding crowns.

2. TinaB says

I used to do oil pulling and my mouth felt wonderful! If your cheeks hurt, you are swishing too vigorously. You gently swish, and then be sure to rinse with salt water to make sure to get out all the germs. I did get bored, but I started doing other chores during the 20 min and the time flew by (I had to set a timer). I stopped because I started finding articles saying not to do it if you have silver fillings, as it will draw out mercury more than with normal use. I miss it though because my mouth has never felt as clean. Hopefully one day I’ll be able to get the silver fillings replaced and I can start back oil pulling.

3. Jenn says

I’ve been doing this several times a week for a few months now – my teeth are noticeably whiter, and the sensitivity I had has pretty much disappeared. I find that the 20 minutes isn’t too bad if I plan it for while I’m in the shower (which also allows me to not need to speak for a full 20 minutes :) I’ve read that 20 minutes is the optimal amount of time to draw the maximum amount of toxins out before your body begins to absorb them back in. I typically don’t go a full 20, sometimes just 10 or 15. I’ve also found that I prefer the texture of a high quality olive oil over coconut oil (though the coconut oil does have a lovely flavor!)

However. Within a week of my starting the oil pulling, I was hospitalized with a severe bladder infection. I’ve also had a horrible case of pneumonia and several other infections, and wonder if I am maybe accidently swallowing some of the oil, or if I’m somehow otherwise re-absorbing some of the harmful bacteria?

4. Sandra says

I love oil pulling…My mouth feels wonderful each time I do it, not to mention the added benefit of whiter teeth! I use organic extra virgin Coconut Oil with a drop of Wintergreen Essential Oil or a drop of Spearmint Oil…and love the taste!

From everything I have experienced, the process takes a full 20 minutes, so if you spit out before 20 minutes. start again, the process is to make the oil swish enough time in your mouth so that it becomes a white thin substance which is an indication of the process completion. For me, it seems that the mucus disappears after a 20 minute session…at first I did it for only 10 minutes and the mucus seemed to continue to “flow”, so now if I need to spit, I start the process again and continue the process, and that seems to work for me.

5. Alyssa G says

I started oil pulling a couple months ago. I start first thing when I get up and by the time I am done with the shower I am done “pulling”. My mouth feels super clean after brushing and I can attest that it definitely does have a whitening affect! I probably do it on the 3-4 unrushed mornings.

6. Peggy says

I saw this on the Camp Wander website a couple of months ago and decided to give it a try. I am over 50 with many teeth issues that have gone on for years…I think I have more fillings than teeth. My teeth have not felt smooth in years, even after a cleaning. So I gave this a try. I cannot emphasize enough how pleased I am with the results. I had one stain between my teeth that has been there for years. It is now faded to almost nothing. I use virgin coconut oil and I do the full 20 minutes now and even lose track of time sometimes. Just find a time in the day that you can do this while doing something else, and definitely spit into the trash. Your teeth will feel better and cleaner. I will be going to the dentist soon and cannot wait to hear what he thinks. I HIGHLY recommend this process!

7. Debra says

I’ve been doing this off and on for several months. The first thing that I noticed was that my teeth were much whiter, and my hubby remarked a few times that my (constant) bad breath was better. Then I noticed that my gums weren’t bleeding when I brushed and were becoming more pink and less red. Then I went to the dentist for a cleaning/check up. I had a few cavities, but my family is also “challenged” in this area and I hadn’t gone to the dentist in several years (and had only been oil pulling for a few months). Despite the cavities, the hygienist said that my gums were in very good condition and I had almost no plaque to scrape away with those awful hook things that they use.

I actually talked to my regular family doctor about this. I thought she’d be less likely to look at me like I’m crazy because she’s from India. I was right, while she doesn’t oil pull herself, several people she knows do oil pull. She also said that they use coconut oil for almost everything in India and isn’t surprised that it can be used for oral health too. She didn’t seem convinced of many of the more wild claims, but generally agreed that it could improve teeth, gums, and bad breath since this is mostly caused by bacteria, but could also help keep us from getting sick because so much of the time we breath in bacteria that leads to sickness. It should also be noted that I haven’t been sick since I started, even though the rest of my family has been. Also, the rest of my family has had to be on allergy meds this summer, but I haven’t had any.

If you get bored of sitting in front of your mirror and doing this for 20 minutes, try swishing while in the shower, getting dressed, doing the dishes or some other mild activity. It makes the time go faster and you don’t realize how long you’ve been doing it. If you can’t go the full 20 minutes at first, that’s ok, work up to it. It also can cause a lot of drainage (especially if your allergies are really bad), so you may have to spit it out early and get some more to finish the time.

8. Krystal says

I have been using this method for a couple of months and have noticed a difference. I used olive oil at first then switched to grapeseed oil; I will have to try the coconut oil. I use this method during or after my evening shower before bedtime. It leaves my mouth feeling wonderful and I have noticed a reduction on the “scummy” morning tooth feeling.

9. Joyce says

I must be the only one with a strong gag reflex. I have tried this a couple of times and I cannot get past a few minutes because I feel like I’m going to throw up. Any suggestions (I used coconut oil)?

• CLG says

Maybe try a different kind of oil (one that doesn’t solidify as easy as coconut oil). I don;t gag that easily but I know I’ve tried to swallow coconut oil (for health reasons) & have almost gagged a couple times.. Maybe Olive oil? (or grape – never tried that so not sure if it solidifies quick or not).

• Charlotte says

I also gag terribly – I am using sesame oil & it just feels like castor oil in my mouth, which I HATE. Two swishes & I am ready to do a serious projectile thing. Wish I could get past this because I do think this method has benefits for teeth & mouth, if not for other things.

Please let me know if you try some type of oil that works for you. Maybe I will try olive oil tonight. Will let you know if this works. I doubt it, because I am generally just a gagger. UGH!

• Shauna says

I’ve only used Tropical Traditions coconut oil myself, but maybe you could try fractionated coconut oil from Sparks Natural or Doterra. It isn’t as thick/textured (can’t find a good word for it) as regular coconut oil. Hope you find an oil that works for you b/c oil pulling has given me great results–a cleaner mouth & whitening my teeth (I add lemon essential oil).

• Susie says

Joyce, I am right there with you!
      The first time I tried, I used olive oil, it was all I had except for canola…as I was out of coconut. Within seconds I had to spit out into the toilet, ‘cos I thought I was going to throw up. My whole body was shaking.

I tried again after I restocked my coconut oil, tho’ I melted a little on the stove top in a small glass dish handled by tongs. This is how I’d seen it done on a program on the Veria channel, all about Ayurveda. I was still gagging, but I stuck with it for about 10 minutes this time. I think I was using table spoons, not teaspoons.

Maybe you also used a tad too much? I think I might add some peppermint oil next time, that should help with the gagging, after all, I can swish mouthwash for 20 mins to half an hour… I should be able to do this,,, try warming the oil in a glass dish (ovenproof) NOT microwave, that might help, then you can anoint your body with the left overs.
      Good Luck.

10. Susan says

I’ve been oil pulling with unrefined coconut oil for several months. My mouth feels super clean all day. I do drink coffee and tea and cranberry juice so my teeth aren’t as white as my husbands who also oil pulls. You would never be able to tell that I drink these stain causing drinks because my teeth are still white. I usually start my day with oil pulling while I make my coffee. At first I couldn’t oil pull the full 20 minutes but after a week I could. My decision to try oil pulling was because I stopped using toxic fluoride in my toothpaste and wanted to keep my mouth extra clean along with flossing every day and using tools to get between my teeth. I don’t know about the other claims either but do know that this works for squeaky clean teeth!

11. Laurie says

Love the idea but as a migrainer I’m not sure about the 20 minute thing as my jaws are one of my triggers. I’ve been able to keep my teeth and gums in good shape by swishing with Listerine with a squirt of good old peroxide in it.

• Rae says

Ok, tried it. I know I will do it again. My teeth do feel clean and I loved the taste of Trader Joe’s coconut oil. I actually mixed one teaspoon of the oil with three drops of grapefruit oil.

• Amy says

jen, coconunt oil is one of the best things to take during pregnancy and while nursing. A form of it is actually put into formula and fed to premature babies. Coconut water will help with increasing your milk supply while nursing also, although I find it tastes gross and just add it too a smoothie instead of milk. Coconut milk would work for that also. I have never tried teeth pulling before, but I will try it starting today, I am a big coffee and tea drinker so anything to whiten without having to pay an arm and a leg.

12. Margaret says

I too have a very strong gag reflex. I cannot imagine being able to do this. Clarified butter would be the closest thing to oil I could even think about trying without gagging.

• Rian says

I have a horrible gag reflex as well. I have a hard time just brushing the back molars without activating it. The first couple times I tried this I had to spit it out after 5 minutes because it was getting bad but eventually I was able to do it the full 20 minutes, though having something to preoccupy my mind helped a lot. Also the first time I tried it I used olive oil and it was way too thick, coconut oil was so much easier, it gets to the point it almost feels like water.

• cat says

I started it for the same reason and it’s the first time in years that my nose and throat are clear all day! If it helps my teeth that’s nice but the sinuses alone are worth the work.

• Stephanie A. says

Awesome! I’ve done it for the tooth benefit, then slacked off. Now I’m starting up again for teeth AND sinus reasons! I had no idea it helps with sinus. Maybe, just maybe, it’ll help with the migraine headaches I get from the barometric pressure here in Colorado. I know the sinus’s are connected to all sorts of things in the head and face. I’m starting tonight, then I’ll get on the morning schedule tomorrow.

And I noticed that the Tropical Traditions coconut oil does get thinner the longer it’s in my mouth. It’s more watery than olive oil.

• Susie says

Stephannie A

I also suffer from terrible migraines, I am definitely going to start the oil pulling again. Try warming it up on the stove in a glass container first – NOT the microwave – It is much better when it is already at mouth temperature. Much less Gag.

13. Lara says

This is a helpful link regarding oil pulling details… http://oilpulling.com/oilforoilpulling.htm
    like the importance of the oil being unrefined and certain oils to avoid like grapeseed because of the solvent used. Also that coconut oil can be too detoxifying for some, unrefined organic sesame is the original oil used in Aryuvedic medicine. Also the importance of disinfecting your mouth well with tea tree or wild oregano after you oil pull – you really don’t want to swallow what you’ve pulled out! Also the best time to do it is right when you wake up before you eat or even drink. I have noticed a remarkable difference in my mouth – so did my dentist. Healthier gums… whiter teeth …less sensitive. Also don’t feel pressure to do 20 minutes… start slowly and work up to what is comfortable until you get used to it :)

14. Rian says

I approached my dentist about it. When we went home that evening he started looking it up in dental publications and called me that night and told me he found a lot of evidence that it does help and is good for you to do. He did say it was great because it helped remove the bacteria on the surface of the mouth but that there was no evidence that it actually took toxins out of your blood. Though getting rid of it in the mouth might actually help reduce how many toxins you get in your blood. So in a way it could help but it is not pulling it out as you do your oil pulling.

15. CTY says

The post says “a short time”– 20 minutes is a long time to swish something around–especially when the mouth is “trained to swallow”.
    I like the idea of doing it in the shower–but who takes 20 min to shower? Even when I shave my shower comes in under 10.
    A question for those who said sometimes they need to spit & start again, are you just switching the oil out or are you starting the timer again too?
    Will give it a go though.

BTW I tried the pulling for face cleaning–not so good. Severe breakouts, even using organic coconut oil. After 3 1/2 weeks of relentless breakouts I stopped. (the article mentions breakouts at first, due to the “crud” being pulled out- but I think 3 1/2 wks is too long). I don’t wear make up & I use organic coconut oil everyday to moisturize.

16. Laura B says

I really want to try this but I want to make sure I understand how to do this correctly. Do you completely replace brushing your teeth with the oil pulling? Or do you do the oil pulling in addition to brushing your teeth? Also, I noticed it’s just a once a day thing, so if you oil pull in the morning, would you brush your teeth or something in the evening?

• Peggy says

Oil pulling helps release toxins. After you spit the oil, you brush your teeth as usual to wash away what the oil has loosened. Oil pulling does not replace brushing. I hope this helps.

17. mary knight says

Why 20 minutes? Why not 5 minutes 4x per day instead, for example? At least until I get used to this. Oil swishing is soothing to the gums. I use the coconut oil and like the taste & feel on my gums. Thanks for bringing this back into my routine.

• D says

That is exactly my question – wouldn’t the saliva build up after just a few mins of not swallowing or spitting it out? I’ve used the Plus White 5 min whitener and I either put cotton or tissue in my mouth to soak up the slobber or just spit it out – and that’s only FIVE mins!

• Jo says

I’ve just done this, made it to 14 minutes and yes, the spit does mount up. I didn’t completely fill my mouth with oil to begin with, so there was still “room” for the spit to mount up. But after 14 minutes my mouth was getting pretty full and sore and it was a real effort not to swallow or vomit!

18. nancy says

My husband is a tobacco chewer. He has many times to quit with out any luck. Do you think that pullling oil could or would help to lessen the damage he is doing to his mouth from the tobacco. what oils would you add to help.

19. Jo says

I’m doing this right now as I type this (trying to distract myself from wanting to projectile vomit!) I’m using extra virgin coconut oil… The sensation and texture of the oil is pretty revolting, it doesn’t smell too bad or taste too bad, it’s more the sensation that’s awful. And trying to fight the urge to swallow! I’ve made it to 10 minutes so far… Going to have to stop at 15 I think.

– made it to 14 minutes! My teeth feel really clean and my mouth feels fresh (if a little coconutty). I’ll try and continue this for a few weeks and hopefully will notice some of the major benefits, such as whiter teeth.

Thanks for posting this!

20. Kathy says

Ok, I feel like a complete idiot. Are you talking about just regular Olive Oil? Like what you buy in a bottle to keep in the pantry? I am totally lost, and have never heard of this. Please help me out, I have always had a “challenged” mouth, never have a check up with having to have something done,

21. Anita says

This is something I have heard about but have not yet tried. It is my understanding that if you do have fillings(the type with mercury in them, and some amalgam fillings also have mercury in them) that you should not oil pull as it has the chance of pulling out the mercury and having that mercury spread through your body. So, the solution is to first have those fillings redone with mercury free fillings (costly). Or read “Cure Tooth Decay” by Ramiel Nagel and try to make better food choices. It’s a long journey. Best of health to everyone.

22. Kay says

Well, I’ve done this for two days and can’t tell any difference at all. I used EV Coconut Oil, which makes me want to gag until it dissolves. I swished for about 10 minutes each day. My ADD mind can’t really do more. My mind wanders, and I stop swishing. I’m afraid I will swallow without thinking about it. I also hate coconut. People that like coconut will probably say you can’t taste it, but I can. Even after rinsing my mouth and brushing my teeth, I still taste it. Another problem is that my teeth are very close together. Since the oil is thicker than water, I don’t feel like it swishes through my teeth like it should. I don’t notice any difference in plaque. Perhaps this is the reason.

23. Annette says

I have a friend that does this daily with coconut oil, she has the prettiest, whitest teeth. I tried it once, but it just felt really weird. I guess it’s something I have to get used to. I have a container of coconut oil that I use in the frying pan, now I need to stock up on some for my bathroom since I’ve been reading about all the benefits of it.

24. deniseinark says

I’ve been doing oil pulling for a long time now. I can promise you, whatever it is that it does, it REALLY does! I can’t tell you my story without admitting that my mouth is a mess and I just don’t want to go to the dentist, but here goes: I have some pockets that literally have infection oozing from them all of the time. There was an abscess knot on one side that you could feel and see from the outside. When I started oil pulling, it was to keep that abcess under control. I do it with high quality EVOO. My belief is that the mouth tissues absorb the excellent anti-inflammatory phytonutrients in the oil better than they are absorbed in our guts. Kind of like taking B12 as a sublingual instead of as a pill to swallow. If I get slack on the oil pulling, the knot in my jaw comes back and the pockets ooze to the point where I can’t stand my own breath and no amount of brushing, listerine, or mints helps. When I start back regularly again, the knot goes away and my breath gets better. I had never heard about first thing in the morning; I usually do it AFTER coffee with cream so that it will loosen the fatty stains from my coffee, then I brush my teeth. After the last time I slacked off, the infected pockets got to the point where that whole side of my mouth started hurting all in one day. This time I added some lavender EO to EVOO. I started not minding the taste of the EVOO but I really hate the taste of the lavender. However, after pulling twice a day for 5 days in a row, there is no more ooze from the infection. Oil pulling WORKS at whatever it really does do. I’m sceptical about the more outrageous claims, but I know for problems in the mouth, there is something about it that has a real impact.

25. Stef says

Is it weird to be comforted that others gag on their own spit like I do? Anyway, I am working around the kitchen today and decided to give this oil pulling thing a try. I did ok, better than I expected, but after about 12 minutes, I made it to the sink and spit, rinsed and spit again. I used coconut oil. Despite my highly developed aversion to anything phlegmy or spitty, I will give this a real shot and continue to push through. Tomorrow. I used coconut oil, and after it finally melted, I skoozed it all around my mouth. I could feel it forcing through the gaps in my teeth and along the gum line. After spitting, my mount feels cleaner and not oily at all! Thank you, Jillee. If I hadn’t read it on your site, I wouldn’t be trying it. Looking forward to a healthier mouth and whiter teeth!

26. Kelli says

question: I have severely crooked teeth and terrible receding gums. I have no insurance and cannot afford a dentist so I’m looking for homeopathic treatments for receding gums. will this help? Should I add any essential oils? I can’t find any accurate, unbiased info. I really need some help.

27. Vera says

Read about this on another website, last summer. Tried it with coconut oil from Costco. Couldn’t take the consistency in my mouth. Gave up. I don’t normally watch Dr. Oz, but Judge Judy had repeats so I didn’t change the channel. Dr. Oz admitted that his family has been oil pulling for 2 GENERATIONS! That sold me! The only oil I had was Grapeseed. I poured 1 tablespoon into my mouth and concentrated on keeping busy cleaning and moving, and watching the clock. At times, I had to lean my head forward so as to ensure I don’t swallow a bit. After 20 minutes, I spit into the toilet. The whiteness of my teeth blinded me! I couldn’t accept that happened so fast, after the first use. My “teeth shine” reminded me of how shiny my dentist polishes my teeth, after my yearly cleaning. I’m adamant about brushing twice a day, flossing once a day and using a fluoride rinse twice a day, as per my dentist. With the oil pulling, I notice my breath is fresh ALL DAY LONG, even AFTER eating and in between meals. I now implement into my daily regiment. When I can afford to, again, I’ll buy the coconut oil, but until then, I’ll continue to use “edible” oil. It is awesome!

28. Kori says

I just started Oil Pulling 3 days ago and thought I’d jump on your site and see if you’ve tried it. When I put the solid chunk of Coconut Oil in my mouth on first try I gagged. The next day I had a better plan to melt it first and it was a cinch! Definitely “swish” slowly to not tire out the cheeks and mouth. So far I’ve noticed very good results of a clean mouth. My teeth are getting whiter already. My floss is clean and odorless which tells me the bacteria has vanished. Plaque that was clogging the base between my bottom teeth is already gone. I had never heard of this and never thought I could do it, but it is a very doable and healthy practice.