Ten Good Things By You!

OGT by you

Happy Monday everyone! I am SO happy to be home after having SO much fun at BlogHer ’13 in Chicago. I was actually feeling kind of depressed last night about it being over after having been anticipating it for so long. Ever feel that way?  Like at the end of a really great vacation? Well, today is a new day, the beginning of a new week, and I for one am going to make it AWESOME! Because I’m really the only one that can. :-)

Sorry, for some reason I’m feeling philosophical today. But today’s post has nothing to do with philosophy….so let’s get to it! Today I present to you the TEN FINALISTS and ONE GRAND PRIZE WINNER of our 5th “One Good Thing By YOU” Contest!

Once again, myself and my “distinguished panel of judges” agonized over picking the winners because you all just have TOO many GREAT ideas! :-)  But we persevered and have come up with a few gems I think you’re really going to like!

Let’s begin with our GRAND PRIZE WINNER who wins a $150.00 Amazon Gift Card!

milk jugs

CONGRATULATIONS KD!

And here are your TEN FINALISTS who each win a $15 Amazon Gift Card!

faux febreeze

Use coupon code JILLEE to get 10% off ANY essential oils order at Spark Naturals!

pinwheels

Empty toothpaste

teaching kids about money

pocket page protectors

kids doing chores

goop hand cleaner

butter wrappers

removing strawberry stems

Frozen dinners

Thank you so much to ALL our winners AND to all of you who contributed hundreds of OTHER good ideas. To check out the rest go to this post:  http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2013/07/11-marvelous-marinades-made-in-minutes.html#comments

Share on Facebook45Tweet about this on Twitter5Pin on Pinterest2,153Google+0

Comments

1. Bridget says

Congratulations to all of the winners, wow some great tips, I am saving them! Thank you everyone and thank you Jill!!

2. Lesa Pierce says

Instead of buying paper to line drawers, I get free Chinese newspaper from the Chinese market. Does the trick, and it is attractive to anyone like me who can’t read the language!

I wholeheartedly agree with the comment regarding the toothpaste tub. So much product goes to waste in bottles. I have been know to cut open icy hot bottles, hand lotion bottles, toothpaste tubes, shaving cream gel bottles’ etc. There are at least three more uses’ if not more, in those bottles. Consumers waste so much product that its no wonder that prices are high, commodities are precious and scarce. It is too bad, really. Personally, I think it is one big pyramid scheme lol. :P. he he. ;)

• Chris says

Also, sometimes you just can’t get to the store to buy more product so it can be a life saver to have little more to get you by.

• CTY says

So glad to hear others do that too. Waste is so rampant and not just the little stuff. When I was going to school for my master’s degree a colleague was complaining about how low the reimbursement was for schooling from the company (it was $750.00/yr). He said that it was such a small amount that if he was going to school he wouldn’t even bother turning in the form. It made me think–its stuff like that which is probably the reason why he couldn’t afford school.

• Sherry says

I do believe that manufacturers package their products for maximum waste and I don’t let them get away with it. :)

Please be aware that the holes are much bigger on shampoos, feminine wash, body wash, hand creams, etc.

You really don’t need the amount that is squeezed out. That want you to use too much.

You dance girl!! :-) You are most welcome. Can’t wait to try this trick! Our garden is is going crazy right now!

4. judith says

What a great collection of household tips. I especially like the windmills to keep the little critters out the garden. I use the plastic sheets to hold knitting patterns and recipes. The only thing I do different is I do not throw them away if I do not like them. I write YUCK on the recipe. This way when I find what I think is a new recipe I can look back to make sure I have not made it before.

• Rita M says

Funny. I do that, too. It’s hard to remember if you’ve tried a recipe or not. Yuk is a helpful code word in my recipe stash.

5. Tabitha says

I tried the pinwheel thing as soon as I read it in the comments a few weeks ago. I had a bed of baby’s breath that I had been growing and saving seeds from for 4 years. A rabbit kept getting in there and eating off the buds and tender shoots. I thought my plants were mostly gone but went ahead and put 5 shiny dollar store pinwheels out there that my kids got from their greatgrandparents. It rained, the plants shot up again, and I am happy to report that there are buds and tender shoots again, and no sign of the rabbit, even though I have seen it around my yard. I am really hoping at least one plant will produce flowers so I can collect seeds for next year! Thanks, Vicki! I also shared your idea with my mom, who is going to try it next year with her blueberries, and on Pinterest, with a link to the original post with your comment!

6. Heather says

Melissa,
    I have a question about the allergy-free febrezze you make and spray. Do you spray that around your home and your godfather is not affected by the dog allergens in your home as a result of the spray? My son has the same problem when we visit family and friends homes with dogs. I have never heard of this before.

7. Juli MacEachin says

I too hate to waste whatever is left in a tube or bottle. Pump bottles are my biggest pet peave because you know there is still plenty left but the pump won’t bring it up. In the past I have turned the bottle upside down over a paper cup until all the lotion/soap has emptied out then use it up. One day while cleaning out a drawer I found a small tube that was used to syphon water from a fish tank. I was getting ready to toss it and thought of an idea! I removed the top of my lotion with the original tube still attached and measured it and made sure that my tube was able to fit around it. I slid the larger tube over the original and cut it so it would about an inch and a half longer than the original tube (this depends on the size of the bottle) so it bends. Make sure it’s a bend and not a kink. It works great and now I get almost every drop of soap or lotion left in the bottle.
    I emailed Jergens and was surprised to receive a reply in a few days. They thanked me but my idea wouldn’t work because it would take up too much space. I don’t understand that at all but I saved the email just in case they ever decide to try it!
    Jillee, I’m sorry this is so long but I was having a hard time describing the process.

• silverdust says

I get it, Juli! You just extend the end of the plastic pump tube by putting on clear, flexible tubing to suck up what’s in the bottom of the lotion bottle!