Essential Oils . . . How Do I Use Them?

How to apply EOs

A few days ago I posted on Facebook about a diffuser that I’m fond of that is available on the Spark Naturals website. I was surprised at how many people commented asking, “What is a diffuser?” I guess I had just assumed everyone knew, but we know what happens when we make assumptions. ;-) So I thought it might be a good idea to do a post about the different ways to use (or apply) essential oils. Because it’s one thing to know what these wonderful oils can DO, but it’s a completely DIFFERENT thing to know how to actually get the benefits.

So today’s post is a basic lesson in “essential oil application” and some of my favorite ways to use EOs.

Essential oils are usually administered by one of three methods: diffused aromatically, applied topically, or taken internally.

Let’s talk about “diffusion” first, since that’s the question that spawned this discussion in the first place.

How to apply EOs

Aromatically

A diffuser is one of my favorite ways to use essential oils! Depending on my mood or any health challenges me or my family members are dealing with…I choose one oil or a combination of oils to diffuse. An essential oil diffuser disperses essential oils into the air of your home or office, allowing you and your family to easily inhale the oils (for immune boosting, stress relief, etc.) AND naturally, effectively disinfecting the air. Certain essential oils, when diffused in the air, can be stimulating while others can be calming and soothing. Beyond emotional benefits, diffusing essential oils can purify air of unwanted odors and some airborne pathogens. It is nature’s best and most inexpensive air purifier.

Here are some of my favorite uses for my diffuser:

Mood Influencer.
I work a LOT of late nights (I shouldn’t, but I do.) I diffuse Lavender and Wild Orange to help me stay awake. I can create a mood by diffusing select essential oils. I can energize, focus, brighten, relax, subdue and purify with a diffuser.

Clear The Air.
By adding Spark Naturals Shield blend to my diffuser, I can kill germs and pathogens in the air and prevent sickness from spreading to other members of the family. If someone is sick in our house, Shield is a key player in keeping everyone else well! It also makes the house smell great!

Breathe Easy.
All three of my boys and their Dad suffer from mild asthma. When they get sick it gets worse. By diffusing Respire, another essential oil blend by Spark Naturals, in their bedrooms at night, they breathe much easier and often recover much more quickly.

Better Sleep!
Although I tend to stay up WAY too late, when I finally DO go to sleep I love to diffuse lavender in our bedroom. Sleep is so much easier to attain and much more restful. A diffuser with a timer is perfect for this application.

How to apply EOs

Topically

This is the application that most people are probably familiar with. Due to the molecular composition of essential oils, they’re easily absorbed by the skin and can be safely applied topically, sometimes diluted with a carrier oil and sometimes “neat” (undiluted). Once they’re applied, essential oils can have almost an immediate, localized effect to the target area of application. They have restorative and calming properties and can be used very effectively in massage and beauty therapy.

Topical PLACEMENTS:

1.  Back of the Neck (or the Suboccipital Triangle):  This is a great place to apply an EO topically, close to the blood supply to the brain.

2.  Feet: the bottoms of our feet have the largest pores on our body and allow quick absorption.

3.  Over the heart:  A nice place for a topical application, very soothing and calming.

4.  Localized:  When aches and pains are involved, apply EOs directly to the area of discomfort and massage the oils in with carrier oil. I typically use Fractionated Coconut Oil as a carrier, but other good ones include almond, olive, grapeseed, jojoba, avocado, and sunflower. Peppermint rubbed on your tummy when you’ve over-indulged at dinner provides such relief!

How to apply EOs

Internally

Therapeutic grade essential oils can also be used as dietary supplements supporting a variety of healthy conditions. Some EOs have powerful antioxidant properties while others help support a healthy inflammatory response in cells.

I personally take a blend of Lavender, Lemon, and Peppermint (a natural antihistamine) in a gel cap on a regular basis to help control hives. In the cold and flu season our whole family has benefited from the Cold & Flu Bomb my sister shared with us. (Make sure you write this down!  You will be SO happy you did come wintertime!)

flu bomb

While many essential oils are generally regarded as being safe for dietary use, some oils should not be taken internally. Please don’t use any essential oil product internally that does not have the appropriate dietary supplement facts on its label.

How to apply EOs

BONUS Application :-)

As wonderful as essential oils are for promoting good health…I also LOVE using essential oils around my home!

• Add a fresh scent to your laundry by placing several drops of lavender essential oil on a clean cloth and tossing into the dryer during the cool-down phase.
  • Essential oils like lemon will remove many stains, as well as gum, stickers and other residue from most surfaces.
  • Many oils have antiviral properties and can be added to natural homemade cleaners, such as sprays, carpet deodorizers, furniture polish and so on.
  • You can even add oils or oil blends to household paint (to eliminate fumes), craft paint, children’s play dough, etc.

Hopefully this has helped shed some light on how you can more effectively use essential oils in you and your families lives. As an extra help I made up this FREE PRINTABLE that you can keep with your oils for a quick reference. It lists the most common essential oils and how they can be used. So the next time you’re wondering….What oils should I use?  And, how should I use them? This chart will help ease your uncertainty!

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD

EO Chart

One last thing….

If you are new to essential oils or have never even tried them…but would like to…purchasing a kit of some sort is a good way to get started.

Spark Naturals offers several very good starter kits that contain a nice variety of oils that can get you started on the path to improved overall health and wellness.

How to apply EOs

Back-to-School Kit

For a limited time SN is offering the Back To School Kit which includes two blends that will help you and your children to relax, stay healthy and remain focused during the coming school year! PLUS, as a bonus, it includes to stainless steel roller ball bottles for easy application.

Includes:

How to apply EOs

Health and Wellness Kit

The Health and Wellness Kit is a comprehensive assortment of essential oils and essential oil blends that will help address emotional health as well as physical health.

Kit includes:

• Lemon
  • Frankincense
  • Oregano
  • Melaleuca (Tea Tree)
  • Rosemary
  • Lavender
  • Amend (Soothing Blend)
  • Cold & Flu (Respiratory Blend)
  • Shield (Protective Blend)
  • Peppermint

(All oils are 5ml bottles)

How to apply EOs

Essentials Kit

The Essential Four Pack is perfect for the first-time essential oil user who just wants to get a feel for how they work. It contains four “workhorse” essential oils that can be used in a myriad of ways.

Oils included in the kit:

• Lavender
  • Lemon
  • Melaleuca
  • Peppermint

(All oils are 5ml bottles)

Don’t forget to use the coupon code JILLEE to receive 10% off ANY Spark Naturals order!

Facebook303Twitter14Pinterest57202Google+21

Comments

1. Lisa Cotter says

We bought some lavender essential oil from the Mother Earth Faire. The people that sold it to us said we could use it as a natural flea repellent. I’ve read several conflicting information of how to use the essential oil on our dogs. Could you help in me in figuring out how to use this to repel fleas?

• Kathy says

Repel fleas– I would think you could put a few drops in your palm, rub your hands together then wipe your hands on the dog’s fur, from the neck down to the tail. Avoid getting the oil near his ears and eyes. I have also used Young Living Purification oil to repel mosquito’s and flies from myself as well as my dog. If your dog already has fleas, I don’t know. Maybe somebody else has a good idea about how to use oils for that situation.

2. Sue says

I started using EO’s several years ago as I have major sinus & stress headaches. I use peppermint & eucalyptus with carrier oil. I apply to back of neck and over sinus areas on face using care to avoid getting any in my eyes. I apply just before bed (so I can keep my eyes closed) and within a few minutes I am able to breathe again & it helps relieve the pressure pain. This combination also is great for sore muscles.
    Peppermint for upset stomach is a wonder drug – no more antacids for me!

• Catherine Johnson says

Hello Beth

OnGuard is an essential oil blend sold by doTerra.

Here is a copy of the oils description as provided by Amazon.com:

On Guard is doTERRA’s unique, proprietary blend formulated to support healthy immune function. Wild orange essential oil, combined with clove, cinnamon, eucalyptus and rosemary offer a fragrant, natural and effective alternative to synthetic options for immune support. On Guard, with its unique aroma, is one of our most versatile blends. It is also safe to use on counter tops, as a non-toxic way to cleanse surfaces, or to purify the atmosphere by diffusing. On Guard is superb for eliminating and controlling pathogens due to the potency of its constituents. For aromatic, topical, or dietary use.

Have a gentle weekend,
      Catherine

3. Susie says

Do you know of a SCHOLARLY resource telling about safety of different oils during pregnancy…like if they’re to be avoided entirely, are okay to diffuse, etc? I find a lot of conflicting information online, so I’m looking for a real, researched chart or something. I was so excited about the headache buster recipe and ordered the few oils I didn’t have only to find out that birch and wintergreen are big no-nos during pregnancy, at least according to one source I read.

4. mb says

This is perfect, Jillee! I had just been thinking I should suggest a post like this, since I now have a starter collection of EO on my shelf (thanks to your advice!) But with only vague ideas of what to do with them! So helpful.

5. Pat says

I had always heard or read that essential oils shouldn’t be applied directly to the skin. Now I’m confused but that is normal for me. :-) I’d appreciate any thoughts you have on this. I’d be using eo’s more if I knew they were fine to be applied directly. Thank you.

Pat, there are many schools of thought on the use of essential oils. There was a time in the early use of aromatherapy when essential oils were NOT pure, they were diluted or solvents had been added for use in the perfume and cosmetic industry. The US is a little late to the party, Europe has been using essential oils for medicinal properties for centuries – we (United States) embraced modern western medicine and lost touch with natural alternatives. Times are changing though!

Spark Naturals and several other EO companies have brought to market PURE essential oils that are safe, non addictive and without side effects. With the myriad of beneficial properties found in PURE plant essence, you truly can have a natural medicine cabinet – replacing all of the OTC meds and in many cases, prescription meds.

So, back to your original concern, if you’re using an essential oil that’s labeled “for external use” applying topically with a carrier oil like coconut or olive oil is a good idea and these are NOT to be ingested. If you have a PURE essential oil labeled for dietary use, most are readily absorbed into the skin without irritation with a few exceptions. Hot oils such as Oregano, Birch, Cinnamon and Clove and, protective blends such as Shield (w/ cinnamon & clove) should be applied with a carrier.

• Kelly says

You mentioned Birch should not be applied neat as it is one of the “hot oils”. On the chart that Jillee posted above, it shows that Birch can be applied neat. Is it a misprint on the chart?

With very few exceptions ALL ESSENTIAL OILS should be used with a carrier oil!!! The “purity” of the oil has nothing to do with it.
      Coconut oil is great, fractionated coconut oil (has been modified to remain liquid) is not.
      I use coconut almost exclusively for slaves, etc.

6. Jean says

Fairly new to essential oils. what ratio do you recommend when using a carrier oil? For example, if using something for headaches, how would I start? I’ve used essential oils in my bath and in my laundry but time to branch out. :) Do you recommend a particular site to become more knowledgeable on usage of EO?

7. Ronna says

What is fractionated coconut oil versus regular coconut oil? Can it always be used as a carrier or do you use different carrier oils for different applications? Thanks so much for the chart! I just bought my first EOs to try a couple things and your information is so helpful! Thanks for all of the information you provide on a variety of topics!

Ronna, you can use either fractionated coconut oil (FCO) or, cold pressed as a carrier. The difference between the two is simple this: FCO has had the fat spun out of it so it remains in liquid form. This is nice when you’re blending – allows you to make a blend, add the proper dilution to the same bottle and your blend is prediluted ready to go!

Any vegetable based oil can be used as a carrier. Other faves are almond, olive and grapeseed :)

8. Jennifer says

A few notes…
    1.http://www.libertynatural.com/info/eoinfo/FDA_EO_GRAS.htm
    Some EO’s are generally recognized as safe for ingestion. And some aren’t.
    2. All claims of benefit make the EO into a drug. http://www.fda.gov/cosmetics/guidancecomplianceregulatoryinformation/ucm074201.htm

3. You missed one technique that is my favorite. I’m a soap maker and love to use EO in my soaps.

Thought I’d throw my 2 cents in there since I didn’t see any statements about EO and the FDA. Thanks for the info!

Hi Jill,
    I just sent for roller bottles. Everything I see says to use fractionated coconut oil. Can you tell me the difference between fractionated coconut oil and regular organic virgin coconut oil? Can I use the regular coconut oil in the roller bottles? I have a lot of it, and don’t want to buy the fractionated oil if I don’t have to.

Thank you!
    Love your site!

Zona

Hi Zona!

The difference between the two is this: FCO has had the fat spun out of it so it remains in liquid form. This is nice when you’re blending – allows you to make a blend, add the proper dilution to the same bottle and your blend is prediluted ready to go!

Cold pressed is great too, for topical application but because it solidifies, it’s impossible to use in a roller bottles blend :)

• Rae says

Fractionated coconut oil has the fat removed from it. Organic virgin coconut oil will go from a solid to a liquid depending on the temperature it is kept in. I would not use that for roller bottles or any kind of application device where the oil has to be in a liquid state at all times because once it gets chilly, the oil will revert back to a solid and you won’t be able to get it out of the bottle.

10. Rae says

Three days before vacation my son got a 3rd degree burn on his leg. Being nervous about getting the wound infected while travelling and visiting theme and water parks I researched which essential oils are best for burn healing and infection prevention. I packed, lavender, frankincense, melaleuca, and OnGuard with us. I sprayed the oils on the wound several times a day and didn’t have a problem. The wound is still healing nicely.

11. Mary Brogdon says

Thank you, Jilly, for this in-a-nutshell education on eos. I’m really enjoying using eos and you have been an impetus for me. I’ve made the homemade deodorant and body powder as well as the salve. I love them!
    My husband also suffers from asthma and sleep disorder and he told me he likes it when I put the oils on his pillow (on a cotton ball in his pillowcase, actually).
    So far, I’ve collected: lemon, already had tea tree, the peppermint, lavender and clary sage. Next on my list is some eucalyptus oil :)
    I recently took a quilting class and my instructor really suffers from allergies. She admired a crocheted donut pincushion I use so, as a thank you, I made her one WITH a cottonball in it that I dropped a couple drops of LLP on. Hopefully, this will be a help to her while she works away on her quilting ;)
    Thanks again!
    Mary in San Diego

• Laurie says

Hi. I just wanted to comment on Mary’s post with the husband with asthma. I have asthma and so does my son, but we never have to use inhalers anymore since I discovered the benefits of magnesium. I urge you to do a search about using large doses of magnesium to stop attacks, and daily doses of it to keep them from happening. My son and I have not had to worry about having inhalers anymore as long as we have magnesium. It has changed our lives. I use the cheap magnesium from Walmart or the drugstore and if I have a problem I will take ten or so. Within minutes my breathing normalizes. It is truly amazing!
      Hope this helps you!
      Laurie

12. hilary says

I buy extracts at the grocery store, things like peppermint, orange, lemon, almond. Is that similar to essential oils, and could they be used the same way. I have trouble finding the “real” essential oils, and they are very expensive where I live.

• Gwyn says

Hi Hilary,
      No they are not the same and shouldn’t be used in the same ways or for “medical” type purposes. Essential Oils of any good quality can be expensive at least up front. But when you start to see what they replace, just how much they can do for you and how little you really need to use for results they really aren’t as expensive as it seems. That said some are more expensive than others and some you will find yourself reaching for all the time while others you might use less often. The most important thing you can do is make sure you are using high quality “pharmaceutical” grade oils. There are several excellent companies producing high quality oils that are available on line as well as at your local health food market and many other markets. Many areas also have shops that specialize in EO’s or herbs and essential oils. As you read through here you will hear people mention several different suppliers like Source Naturals, doTerra and Young Living which all supply high quality oils and have communities of people using them that are great resources for information, at least in my experience and humble opinion. I mention these three but they are not the only ones out there with quality and supporters. I have found that you don’t need to use just one company and in fact prefer different oils from different places. But in the interest of simplicity and finances I would purchase a couple of the more versatile oils (maybe based on your particular need) from one of the on line sources and go from there. Hope this helps, I know it’s long…

• Gwyn says

You might try posting that question over at Camp Wanderer too. Jillee’s sister runs that site and it is more primarily oriented to essential oils specifically. The other place you could try is http://www.oil-testimonials.com you can register for free and then do a search for “RA” or “rheumatoid arthritis” and you will get testimonials from people mostly who have been using YL oils but that doesn’t really matter unless they mention blends. Good luck I hope you find relief and are able to do so without the pills soon.

• Susie says

Karen, I have RA also–have had for ten years. I doubt that you’ll ever get to the point where medicine isn’t necessary, at least if it’s moderate to severe. That said, certain oils have anti inflammatory properties, and that can always help. Depression can go along with RA, so diffusing mood-boosting oils like orange and lavender have been said to be beneficial. I’m fairly new to EOs (using them for less than a year) and haven’t found any info on using them to “treat” RA as I haven’t taken any internally. Sounds like you’re on methotrexate?? Be sure you’re taking folic acid as well as mtx is really hard on organ systems and rapidly-growing cells like hair follicles (hence the chemo effect.) Also, I recommend getting connects with the Arthritis Foundation (arthritis.org) as they have lots of drug-free tips for dealing with RA. Good luck!

Thanks for the information. I just ordered my first batch of EOs. My hubby also suffers from allergies, asthma, sinus infections so hoping this helps. Also looking for cleaner air in home instead of using all those Air Wick things in the outlet plugs. They scare me big time. I will start learning more about EOs an using them. Thank you…love your website and information!

14. Leanne says

I put EOs on my “pulse points” to speed entry into my system. Both sides of the neck on the arteries, inside the bend of your elbow and on the underside of your wrists. Same places you’d put perfume. This way you also inhale them so your body acts as its own diffuser.

15. Deebi27 says

Jillee and Rebecca you 2 are quite a tag team and I for love reading both! Thanks for all the FYI on essential oils. As soon as I have a goof paying new full time job, I am coming on board with EO’s…Thank you!

16. Jessica says

I am slowly getting everything around to start making the “Headache Blend”. As you know, birch is very hard to find and even when you find it, it’s soooo expensive. What would you suggest as a replacement for it?

17. Sophia says

I’ve read that even if the essential is food grade, ANY essential oils should never be taken internally. Also I’ve read that you should never apply undiluted essential oils to your skin because it can burn and harm your skin. Is it safe to do?

Sophia, that’s the correct protocol for any essential oil that has additives or solvents in the blend.

What Jillee is sharing is a PURE essential oil with absolutely no additives, only pure plant essence. This purity is the game changer, this allows us to use these essential internally and undiluted topically in many cases. Hot oils should always be diluted with a carrier oil as well as EOs used for children.

• Robyn says

this is exactly what I would like to know. How can I determine when it’s a PURE EO and when there is additive? I am currently based in the Middle East (Bahrain) its really a problem finding EOs here.

Generally speaking, eos are NOT safe to ingest, pure or otherwise!! Under very careful watch of a well eo educated Dr they can be ingested for short periods of time for very specific reasons. Regardless of the brand you purchase, please do not ingest eos.

18. Jessica T says

At it again, Jillee! Thank you for the explanation of how to use these. I just started using Jeddy’s blend and my ND told me last week I’ve been applying it wrong. Now that I’m applying it where it can easily get to my bloodstream (I usually put a drop on my wrists and rub together), it works SO well!! Anyone with anxiety, ADD or ADHD, I really recommend Jeddy’s Blend from Spark Naturals. I might have to try it in a diffuser one of these days!

19. Riversana says

Thank you for that wonderful chart, Jillee! That’s going to come in quite handy. In an earlier comment a reader pointed out that Birch is listed with a neat application, yet another reader said it was one of the hot oils and therefore should be applied directly only with a carrier oil. Would you please straighten us out on this? Thanks!

20. Claudia Endermann says

I have read in a lot of different places that certain EO are deadly for cats, lavender being one of them. Apparently the cats’ livers can’t digest them and they slowly build up until they kill them, while the poor animal doesn’t show any signs. From what I have read spraying things like homemade deodorizer is generally how pets come in contact with the EO because they step on surfaces that have the spray on it and then proceed to lick their paws. My question is, if I use lavender oil in my diffuser will my cats still be in danger? Also, on a completely different note, can I use a wax diffuser for EOs?

Some eos are very dangerous to pets!
      By wax diffuser do you mean something you would usually use for candle wax, like Scentsy? If so, yes! Just a few drops in a carrier oil will work beautifully.
      Although, I will say their are some in the eo world that say you lose the medicinal properties if you heat the oils.

21. Courtney says

Has anybody used the brand Plant Therapy essential oils? You can buy them on amazon for about half the price of Spark Naturals and I was wondering if they were as good of quality?

• Brooke says

I use Plant Therapy and Eden’s Garden because they are so affordable and they are both Excellent! I’m not willing to pay more for the same quality of oil. I love their blends too. And with their affordable prices, it allows me to make my own blends.

22. Sally Benson says

Can anyone recommend a replacement for Lavender? I just cannot bring myself to like the scent – don’t enjoy it and it gives me a headache – and so many blends have it. I’d love to experiment a bit with EO blends …. but …. I just have to be the picky one!

I hope you don’t mind me asking a couple questions. Both of my kids have pretty severe asthma (my 3 year old especially, she’s on Symbicort, flonase and singulair daily). Anyway, I’ve used doTerra oils on them and love them, however, they are quite a bit more expensive than the Spark Naturals oils. After using both, do you feel like the Spark Naturals oils work just as well? I get nervous to try other brands, but the fact that you’ve dealt with asthma makes me trust your opinion. Thanks SO much!!! Also, how do you use your oils to treat asthma? I usually just mix breathe and onguard with jojoba oil and rub it on their chests and feet…

The Wolf Pack were able to pick up one point in the young season with the shootout loss.
    Third, aspirants will need to strive to complete their most
    effective in establishing a fan base. Video chat likewise has whenever messaging feature and
    that is ideal when mic will not be available. There are various
    appealing males to entice the female customers of grownup webcam web-sites.

25. Karli says

I want a diffuser and have seen the zaq noor advertised a lot. I want to diffuse on guard in it, but everyone says the instructions say not to diffuse any type of citrus in it. Do you think that also applies to blends? I don’t want to spend tons of money on a different diffuser.

26. Cindy says

Hi! Thanks for all the information. I love essential oils. Tea tree oil has so many uses. I have found a Tea Tree Balm by Chamuel Products that I absolutely love! I use it all the time….especially now in the winter….for dry skin, small scrapes/scratches, bug bites, etc. It is even mild enough to use on my children. I keep one in my purse and a few around the house. Here is there storefront: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aag/main?ie=UTF8&asin=&isAmazonFulfilled=&isCBA=&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&orderID=&seller=A1HIQEISGG5YI3

We absolutely LOVE peppermint essential oils and tea tree essential oils for cleaning. By far my favorite scent in orange essential oil and it definitely does reduce stress and anxiety! Great article, I really must invest in a good diffuser.

• f says

I love tea tree oil and use it frequently, but if you have pets please do not use it in your cleaning solutions! It is a wonderful oil but is highly poisonous to animals. You should also be careful when using to wash your hands, etc., before petting your furry friends. It took me a while to figure out why my cat was becoming lethargic and ‘just not himself’. While researching tea tree oil uses, I discovered why. I was slowly poisoning him! I was using it in my laundry, lotions & on my feet (great for fungus, etc). I still use it – and swear by it’s benefits – but am much more aware of how & where I use it.

Tea tree is not the only oil that is harmful to animals or children. And not all oils can be used ‘neat’. Please do your research before using ANYTHING. Essential oils can be wonderful – but just because I or anyone else rave about the benefits of something does not mean it is right for you!

28. ALMA says

I am new with essential oils and would like to have some suggestions on different uses. My husband has had several hip replacement surgeries and has lower back pain for about 4-5 years. What oil can I put on his back that maybe help the pain. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

29. Hanan says

In need of an expert in EO production of desert plants to establish micro projects for poor African women in Namibia.
    We count with all that is needed to establish a project that will change life for thousands of poor women and children and need knowledge, know how, good will and compassion for other human beings that without their own choice were born to miserable life.

This is a real challenge promoted by WAD – women action for development in Namibia.
    If any information that can help is available I’ll appreciate your willingness to deliver it.

If there is an interest to become a future customer for Namibian desert treacheries you are more than welcome.
    Many thanks

Hanan

30. Kimberly Weninger MH says

I just wanted to let you know that I do not agree with your assesment of using essential oils directly on the skin and NEVER use them internally with the exception of the digestible peppermint from Nature’s Sunshine.
    I realize that the company you’re talking about is touting their “studies” but let me tell you a little bit about this company. Some of the founding members were from another company; Young Living oils. This company believes in the ability of the body to utilize these oils internally without harm.
    I beg to differ.

I lost a dear friend to what I believe to be over 25 years of ingesting oils.Julie was a big fan of Young Living oil…..she died of colorectal cancer. It is terribly important to use a carrier oil when using topically and it’s imperative to not ingest oils.
    They are volatile; or VOC’s which can harm the body if exposed enough or in enough quantities.

I love essential oils by the way; I just realize their potential to heal OR damage the body if taken incorrectly.
    I urge you to do more homework on these products and this company before you tout their effectiveness. If they are legit there should be an MSDS sheet for every product.
    Nature’s Sunshine has MSDS sheets on their products and any that they don’t will MAKE you one….I know; I’ve had them do it for me.

This is in no way a pitch for this company. I just want you to keep your readers and yourself safe
    A good source to read is .The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy: by Valerie Ann Worwood.

Thank you!! I’ve not heard of your company, but I 100% agree with what you said! Taking them internally is dangerous, always use a carrier oils, check before you use them on pets, and be informed about the oil you are using.
      Some oils should never be used on small children (6 and under), because they can cause death. Peppermint and eucalyptus are both cooling oils and can a cause young lungs or weaker lungs (asthma) to slow down and actually stop working.
      Several oils should be avoided in pregnancy because they are known to cause miscarriages.
      Eos are great, but not a cure all and certain not without side effects.
      You must be very diligent, and research from independent third party sources. If the website y out stumble on is owned by a consultant that is not third party information!
      http://Www.roberttisserand.com is a fantastic site and he has a wonderful book as well!!
      Please be safe!

Its like you read my mind! You seem to know so much about this,
    like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you can do with a few pics to drive the message
    home a bit, but instead of that, this is excellent blog. A great read.
    I will definitely be back.