J.Crew Knockoff Necklace – My First DIY Jewelry Attempt!

DIY Martha necklace

I have to begin this post with this declaration….“If *I* can do this….ANYONE can do this!” :-) I have never, EVER attempted to make a piece of jewelry in my entire life, but I really, REALLY loved this necklace I found on the J.Crew website and decided I would do ANYTHING to get it….except pay full price! lol.

It’s called the “Crystal Venus Fly Trap” necklace and it really appeals to me because it’s BLING but with a CLASSIC feel to it. I have no idea if that makes any sense, but suffice it to say I just really loved it. But at $98.00, I didn’t love it THAT much. (I really need to stop going to that site…I love practically everything on it but can’t stomach the prices!  So I basically torture myself needlessly. My masochistic tendencies coming out I guess.)

crystal venus flytrap necklace

So I went online and poked around to see if someone who actually has some knowledge of jewelry-making had a DIY version of this.  Sure enough I found Dina at A Splendid Assemblage.  JACKPOT!  She apparently had the same reaction as I did to finding the Venus Flytrap necklace. Liked it…but not enough to shell out 98 hard earned $’s. :-)

Her J.Crew-inspired necklace tutorial made it look SO EASY, I decided I could totally do it! Now normally when I think that it turns out to be wishful thinking on my part and things go very wrong, very quickly. But much to my surprise….it really WAS easy! The hardest part for me was working with the tiny jewelry pieces using these darn fake nails! ugh! If it weren’t for how much I hate to see my stubby, unattractive nails on camera in blog posts…I would have ripped them all off by now!  Luckily I had my nailing-biting daughter Britta to help me with the most challenging parts. (Sorry to rat you out Miss Britta! hehe)

The first thing I had to do was go online and order the parts. While it took me some time, I eventually hunted them all down and they were all very inexpensive.  Most of them I found via Etsy.com.  My grand total for supplies was about $15.00…a LOT better than almost $100.00.  My labor was “free”, although I’m sure Britta will make me “pay” somewhere down the line. ;-)

DIY Martha necklace

DIY Martha necklace

Here is a list of things you’ll need to make this necklace:

• Clear cabochons (I had never HEARD of a Cabochon before, but I found them easily enough on Etsy.  I bought Clear Acrylic Cabochon Beads, 16mm.)
  • Cabochon settings with lace edge in the same size as your cabochons (mine were 16mm.)
  • Necklace chain (in hindsight I wish I’d bought a little heftier chain, but what I got worked OK.)
  • Clasp and jump rings (again, I had no idea what a “jump ring” was, but Etsy to the rescue!)
  • E-6000 glue (now THIS I knew…and already HAD! yay!)
  • Needle nose pliers (Well, I searched high and low around the house and in the garage and couldn’t locate ONE pair of the dozen I’m sure we have somewhere, so I made do and used some wire cutters.  They worked, but I wouldn’t recommend!)

DIY Martha necklace

STEP ONE:

Using your pliers (or whatever device you can come up with!) bend down two of the lace “bumps” on each cabochon setting. One on each side, directly opposite each other.

DIY Martha necklace

STEP TWO:

Connect the cabochon settings together into a strand using the jump rings until you reach the desired length (keeping in mind you are going to add chain to it). I stopped at 13 (why would I DO that!?) It looked like the right length. I wanted it to be fairly short, a little longer than a choker. Make sure to insert the jump rings in the same direction when linking them so the jewels don’t flip over when you go to put it on.

DIY Martha necklace

STEP THREE:

Now comes the fun part! Once you have connected the desired number of cabochon settings, apply a small dot of the glue on each crystal and push them into the setting. Press down firmly for 5 – 10 seconds. E-6000 glue is very strong…those babies aren’t going anywhere!

DIY Martha necklace

STEP FOUR:

While the glue dries (which doesn’t take long), cut the chain in the desired length and then cut that in half. Using your plying device of choice, attach each piece of chain on each end of the necklace. Then attach a jump ring on one end of the chain and the clasp on the other end.

DIY Martha necklace

And guess what?  You just made a very cool necklace that will be the envy of everyone who sees it! Well, at least those of use who appreciate fine jewelry. ;-)

DIY Martha necklace

Photos by Anna Gleave

Now go put it on and go someplace nice.  You deserve it!

Have you ever attempted jewelry-making?  What did you make? Inspire me!

Share on Facebook26Tweet about this on Twitter7Pin on Pinterest823Google+8

Comments

1. Sherylin says

I keep getting these pop ups telling me to subscribe. Then after that another one to do this or that.

After a while I am now tired of it enough to simply stop coming here. Sorry Jillee but it is simply too annoying for me.

I did enjoy all of your articles though and have spread the word. I just won’t anymore though.

Thanks again an bye.

Sherylin

• Angie says

You don’t have to leave the website…there are so many browser add ons that will block ads for you. I use AdBlock Plus and AdBLock Plus Pop-up Addon for my Firefox browser and I didn’t even know there were pop ups for this page! It blocks the ads for any site you go to. Just look around and you will find something for your browser…I know Google Chrome has their own version of it, and I’m sure IE and others do to. Just do some research and I promise it’s worth the time!

• Sue says

Thanks for the resolution for the ad block. I downloaded mine for google chrome, reloaded Jillee’s page and like magic… Works perfectly – best thing is it is free.
        Thanks again,
        Sue

• Kaitlyn Nystul says

A word about ads…

Hey ladies,

This is Jillee’s daughter-in-law. Jill did not ask me to post this, so please direct any backlash you have at me and not at her ;) I just wanted to put in my two cents on this topic. I really would beg of you not to use an ad blocker. I know that pop-up ads can be annoying sometimes but you should always be able to click-out of them. If there are ever any that you can’t get to go away please let us know because that means there is a glitch in our site.

However, ads are the only way that this blog makes money. If you use an ad blocker any page views or visits you give to the website don’t register on our ad software which takes revenue away from our site. Ad blockers don’t just block annoying pop-ups – they block any advertising on a site including the ads on the sidebar that you probably barely even notice.

Jillee puts in A LOT of work on this site. I mean hours and hours everyday coming up with post ideas, photographing them, editing photos, writing the content, putting the actual posts together, answering emails and comments, etc. She does not have a job outside of this site, so the revenue from this blog is the only way that she makes a living. Her daughter and I also work full time for her so we rely on the blog revenue to support our families as well. There is also a ton that goes into running a site like this from legal, IT, marketing, to web hosting etc. All of that is expensive and has to be paid for somehow.

The great thing about blogs is that companies are willing to pay for ad space which means they end up covering the cost of everything I just mentioned and you as readers get all of this valuable content for free! You don’t have to pay anything to get information that in many times helps you to save money, brings you enjoyment, improves your health or your quality of life etc.

Blogs are amazing tools that are allowing people to find their own creative ways to make a living. That in turn is empowering so many women to help support their families while working from home and doing things that they are passionate about. The only thing that we (I include myself in this because I am an avid blog reader) have to do in order to help all these women make a living is spend a couple seconds of our time clicking-out of the occasional banner ad, and put up with a few side bar ads and sponsored posts.

With all of that said, I hope you know how much our whole team appreciates each and every one of you. We try to make ads as unobtrusive as possible and we love to hear your constructive feedback. Jill says it all the time but the rest of us don’t really get a chance to say thank you to all of you wonderful men and women. None of us would be where we are today without Jillee’s amazing readers. I absolutely LOVE what I get to do everyday and if nobody read One Good Thing I wouldn’t even have this job. I read through your comments everyday and find so much valuable information. I love to read the stories on Jillee’s “About Me” page from people who have dealt with addiction. I’ve definitely been in tears a few times over the sweet emails and comments that you all write. Thank you for all the positive comments as well as the construction criticism. Please keep them coming ;)

• Marie says

Kaitlyn, your point is well taken. Jillee’s ideas are amazing. She answers questions I never knew I had. I like to understand how things work and somehow she pursues things that are of interest to me. I wish there were a way to opt out of all data collection by paying some sort of per click fee.

Recently there has been a popup instituted on the site where when you first go to it it asks you to subscribe. Maybe supposedly you get more success that way, I can’t really say. I go to a lot of web sites where there is an option on the page you can fill in.

It’s too bad there isn’t a way for the website to detect that you are clicking through a link from the email. The subscription popup is really large and annoying and comes up each and every time. It takes a while to be able to close it. There may be popups after that but my browser may have blocked them.

I use NoScript. When I turned it off it showed what appeared to be 36 or 40 third party trackers and scripts, including Facebook, Google, Twitter, the usual. I am fine with having ads interspersed through the page but I am not comfortable with all the data aggregation that is occurring, even if it is anonymous. Again, duly noted Jillee and all of you do a lot of hard work. I will keep that in mind when I see ads on the page. Thank you.

• Dani Nelson says

I’m on an iPad and I keep getting pop up ads that just keep floating in front of Jillees post. I hit the x but it never goes away, ust keeps ratcheting down in the way as I read.
      I have stopped coming for awhile and didn’t even realize why until Sherylin said it. I’m tired of fighting to read the posts.

• Liz says

I have the same problem on my iPad. Since I don’t have a PC but only my iPad and iPhone, I’m not sure how else to turn these annoying pop up’s off besides what I have already done. This is getting really ridiculous unfortunately. Love the neckless but since I’m allergic to anything but Gold it would get pricey :(

• devra says

i get the popups on my ipad … not on my mac where i have an ad blocker. don’t know if there’s a way to block on ipad using safari.

very very annoying.

• Kaitlyn Nystul says

Hey Dani! Thanks for letting us know! The only ad that should be showing up on mobile is one at the very bottom of the page. It should remain on the bottom of page as you scroll down but it shouldn’t block any of the text. Is there any chance the next time you see the floating one come up that you could take a screen shot and email it to jill@byjillee.com? Our IT guy wants to look into it but he can’t do much unless he knows exactly what ad is coming up.

Sherylin,

I was unaware of any “annoying popups”. I do not see any on my computer when I visit the site. I will look into this.

• Gail says

I also was unaware of pop-ups, and I haven’t blocked them. I guess if they are popping up, they are not interfering with what I see on the screen. I’m using a laptop.

• Gwyn says

Angie is rite. I didn’t even know there where annoying pop-ups, I’m using Chrome and sometimes use Explorer. I’m not sure if it’s Norton or the browser that is blocking pop-ups since I always turn on pop-up blocks when given the chance but something must be working. Sorry you are having the problem I know what an annoyance it can be but you must get it on many sites if you are here a blocker will resolve that for you…

2. Sherylin says

One pop up asked me if I will buy Tomatoes in California. I am not even in America let alone California.

• Trixie F says

Are you on a pc or laptop? Check to see if you have any new “extensions” that have been secretly added to your web browser. That happened to me with Google Chrome. I had visited a site that had installed an “extension” on my browser without my knowledge and it was a holy mess. Thankfully I found it and removed it and life is good again.

• Kaitlyn Nystul says

Thanks so much for this info Trixie! We have the occasional pop-up ad but we don’t use them very often. It’s good to know that they aren’t necessarily coming from One Good Thing.

I have made horsehair bracelets, feather earrings, dangling beaded earrings, stud earrings, necklaces, hemp jewelry, wire jewelry, chain head pieces, slave bracelets, embroidery floss bracelets and anklets, boondoggle jewelry…I have made a lot over the years. ツ Nice piece, Jillee. Very well done for your first time. Kudos! ツ

4. Katrina says

Bravo! Looks stunning. Can you please look into the banners that come up every time I come to your site, which is everyday. Every time I touch the page the move and then you accidentally load their page, very frustrating. Thanks.

Thank you Katrina. And thank you for making me aware of the popups. I am currently looking into it. I don’t want coming to my page to be a lesson in frustration! I personally don’t ever see them so I’m a bit at a disadvantage, but rest assured I will find out what is going on.

• Gwyn says

I use the left side of the page to scroll so I’m not near the banner adds and it isn’t an issue. If that helps at all. I remember someone mentioning pop-ups or banners as an issue for them before but figured it was fixed since I didn’t notice a problem. It must have something to do with different set-ups or maybe browsers but I’m guessing some of the changes happened when the web page was revamped if that helps Jillee investigate at all. The “your posting too fast” note is the one that gets me…sounds like I’m doing something wrong but I think it’s talking about the group. But frustrating to have to go back and try again all the time…

• Kaitlyn Nystul says

Hey Gwyn! I’ve heard this from a few people but haven’t ever seen it pop-up for myself until today. I usually use Safari, but was using Google Chrome today and I totally got that message when I went to comment. I think it might just be a weird glitch with Chrome.

• Gwyn says

Hmm, may very well be. I have no idea if I have been in IE when it’s happened but I know it happens in Chrome since it’s what I tend to use most now. It’s a nuisance but that’s all really.Sometimes I just give up and don’t post but it won’t stop me from frequenting the site. Thank you for your note about pop-ups. I had no idea that was how the blog made money, I always thought it was about clicking on adds and din’t know pop up blockers blocked your revenue avenues completely. I will allow them for this site in that case since I have that option, assuming of course that my system is blocking those things on your site. Appreciate you taking the time to be clear about it all, amazing how different things can look when we take the time to ask and listen! :) Thank you for all you do as well. No doubt Jillee voices her appreciation but we (her readers) rarely if ever do, mainly because you are behind the scenes and we just don’t know all you do. So thank you Kaitlyn for all you do to help bring us this wealth of sharing and information. Now I need to go hunt for this other section you mentioned….

• Kaitlyn Nystul says

Hi Katrina! Is there any chance you can tell us what ads you are seeing pop-up? Our IT guys wants to look into this issue but he needs to know what you are seeing.

• Katrina says

Hhi, from Australia. The last couple of days it has been a Target advertisement, before that a catalogue for K Mart. I am on an ipad. It is full width across the bottom of the screen, and it moves up the page and back down when you are “scrolling”. It is very hard to avoid it and you end up accidentally touching it then it loads up their site taking you out of Jillee’s. There is no x button on the banner to close it. Hope that helps.

• Angie says

There are so many browser add ons that will block ads for you. I use AdBlock Plus and AdBLock Plus Pop-up Addon for my Firefox browser and I didn’t even know there were pop ups for this page! It blocks the ads for any site you go to. Just look around and you will find something for your browser…I know Google Chrome has their own version of it, and I’m sure IE and others do to. Just do some research and I promise it’s worth the time!

• Julie says

I use adblock plus too. It blocks pop ups, but I can also right click on any side bar ad & tell it to block that image. No ads is always the best way to view any site.

• Kaitlyn Nystul says

Hi Devra! Can you tell us what pop-ups you are seeing? We have one for email sign-ups that should only come up one time but I don’t think we have any other pop-up ads running right now. Our IT wants to look into the issue but he needs to know exactly what you are seeing. Thanks!

Love your necklace! Thankfully I haven’t had any pop ups on this site, I know how annoying they can be. Don’t know why there’s any difference though, soz.

6. Nikki says

I made dangly bottlecap earrings before, and after that experience, I put my tools away and said no more! lol. I got so frustrated working with those little jump rings. Also, in reply to previous comments, I never get any popups here. I’m using Chrome with popup blocker enabled.

lol. I have to say that was the hardest part for me too. Luckily I had my daughter’s nimble fingers and short fingernails to help me with that part. ;-)

7. Krystal says

I have repaired a few pieces of jewelry but I haven’t “made” jewelry per se; unless you count making hip belts for a belly dancing class when I was (much) younger and I used scrap necklaces for the parts. (I even remember a few of the “moves” – LOL).