DIY Infinity Scarf from a Sweater

diy sweater scarf 1

With the cold weather setting in, Megan with Brassy Apple is here to teach us how to transform a sweater into several new pieces for your wardrobe. It’s easy with this NO SEW sweater refashion project. From sweater into an accessory. And it just takes a few snips!

You will need:

A sweater & scissors

Here’s what the sweater looked like before. Snatch one from a thrift store, your closet or from your donate pile!

diy sweater scarf 2

1. Lay your sweater flat and cut right under where the sleeves start. You will be working with the body of the sweater.

2. Run your fingers along the cut edge to strip away any loose fibers. Fold the scarf in half or in thirds (with both ends folded toward the center). You have a ready made “circle” scarf with one simple cut!

3.It’s ready to wear! A stylish way to add texture, volume and possibly color to your outfit. It’s great worn alone or with a coat!

You can do more with a sweater than just create a scarf! Save the sleeve and neckline. Check out these other sweater refashion projects!

Sweater skirt

Headwrap/earwarmers – no sew

Bootwarmers/Legwarmers – no sew

Fingerless gloves - no sew

diy sweater scarf 3

For more “doable” everyday style and refashion tips pop over to BrassyApple.com.

Share on Facebook51Tweet about this on Twitter7Pin on Pinterest1,199Google+1

Comments

1. julie says

I’m sorry, but this doesn’t make sense to me are you just cutting off the sleeves? But that leaves the top of the sweater. Maybe mare pictures or a video would help me.

2. michelle says

Very cool idea, but seems like cutting it with scissors would leave it vulnerable to unraveling.

3. Wilda says

I’ve been sewing for almost 60 years and this seems to be just confusing words that don’t make much sense. Please clarify.

4. Lisa says

I was so relieved to read the other comments! This sounded like such a cute idea, but I’m sorry, I just don’t understand.

5. Ronda says

I agree with the previous comments. I am glad that I wasn’t the only one who would see how it would not unravel. I can’t visualize where I should cut either. Could you put step by step pictures with each step. That would be great. I would love to make a few of these.

6. Jennifer says

I believe she means cut horizontally across the sweater just below the armholes. At least that is how I picture it. Then fold in half(rough edge inside.) As far as the unravelling I would worry about this as well but I love the idea of it and it’s super cute.

• MJ says

Now that Jennifer says this, I think she is right. I also have sewn and knitted and crocheted my entire life and I did not understand the directions until I read Jennifer’s comment. She is smart!
      Thanks, Jennifer!!!

7. Vikki says

I even went to Brassy Apple’s website and it’s the exact same thing as here….no pictures or clearer instructions :( I love the idea though!

8. Janette says

I think that you have to cut across the chest of the sweater, starting under the sleeves. I feel like it would unravel too. Folding it will help slow it down.