Coconut Oil Hair Treatment – Treat Your Tresses!

hair conditioning

Winter got you down? How about your HAIR? My hair is so dry right now I’m almost afraid to WASH it! When I do, it is a flyaway mess for days until I get enough hairspray in it to weigh it down. Even using a generous amount of conditioner hasn’t been helping.

So I decided to go in search of a more INTENSIVE treatment for my bone dry winter hair and wouldn’t you know it….my search led me right to my bathroom cabinet and my bucket of coconut oil! I really should have known. Coconut oil is pretty much a miracle cure as far as I’m concerned. Here is just one of many posts I have done about the benefits of coconut oil: 39 Coconut Oil Cures.

hair conditioning

Turns out that coconut oil is BEST type of oil for hair!

• It contains proteins not found in other hair oils and its’ low molecular weight helps it to seal the hair. This helps the hair retain its natural moisture and reinforces the hair fiber, making it stronger.
  • This moisturizing effect prevents build-up of dry skin on the scalp which causes dandruff.
  • The antibacterial properties of coconut oil protects the scalp against itchy and infections, helping hair stay healthy and dandruff free.
  • Vitamins found in coconut oil (E and K) also boost hair and scalp health.

hair conditioning

Here’s how to give your lackluster locks a…..

COCONUT OIL DEEP CONDITIONING TREATMENT

What you’ll need:

Directions:

Scoop out a generous amount of coconut oil into a small bowl (approximately 1/2 cup depending on how much hair you have) and (if desired) add a total of 8 drops Rosemary and/or Lavender essential oil.

Rosemary: Cleanses, strengthens and nourishes hair follicles and encourages growth.

Lavender: Antibacterial but also enhances the properties of Rosemary for improved cell regeneration and better penetration. Beneficial for dandruff too!

hair conditioning

Scoop up a handful of the coconut oil and begin to massage into your hair, beginning at the ends. No need to heat the oil, it will melt as you massage it into your hair. Use more oil where your hair is the driest and most damaged (typically on the ends) and less where your hair is healthiest (mid-shaft and scalp area).

Cover your hair with a shower cap.

Now you have two options:

Allow the oil to sit on your hair for 20-30 minutes after application (for very dry or porous hair you can leave the oil on longer).

OR

To increase the effectiveness of the treatment, cover with a shower cap and apply heat with a hair dryer for 15 minutes.

Here’s a handy way to turn your hand-held hairdryer into a salon hairdryer, demonstrated by my daughter Britta who is modeling the latest in pink polka dot shower cap fashion! :-)

hair conditioning

She’s such a good sport! :-)

Special thanks to my son Kell for donating his Size 13 shoe to the cause!

hair conditioning

Once your time is up, wash and condition your hair as you normally would. Because coconut oil is so heavy, you may need to wash your hair twice to rinse it all out.

For hair that is seriously dry, repeat this deep conditioning treatment about once a week. If the coconut oil leaves your hair feeling weighed down or greasy, try using less or shampooing more after the treatment.

Style your hair as usual and be amazed at the difference a little coconut oil can make!

Use the coupon code “jillee” to take 10% off any Spark Naturals order.

Share on Facebook178Tweet about this on Twitter10Pin on Pinterest6,222Google+22

Comments

1. Cathy says

What am I waiting for?!?! I really need to try this coconut oil. Jillee you have given us many great ideas for its use. Thank you for today’s post. Now I have to go shopping for coconut oil AND a cute shower cap.

2. Rachel says

Wow! I used to buy coconut oil by the case because my husband’s Chinese doctor recommended it as a moisturizer, then I discovered the cooking merits, now you just opened my eyes to a whole new realm.. hair conditioner… THANK YOU!!! Can ‘t wait to try!

3. Lisa says

Definitely going to do this. I wonder if it’s okay to rinse that much coconut oil down the shower drain? Any plumbers out there that can advise? When I oil pull I spit out the oil in a plastic bag.

Thanks for your useful tips!

• Sally says

Vicki if you search oil pull on Jillee’s site you’ll find the info – it’s an awesome way to get heathier gums and whiter teeth. LOVE IT!!!

• Nancy says

Wondering the same thing myself. I use coconut oil to remove my makeup, but I am careful to remove it with a cotton pad that goes into the garbage. I am afraid to wash it down the drain. Anyone have an answer to this?

4. brenda says

I have been doing this, just a little differently. I use a small amount of the coconut oil and rub into my hair, usually when I get home from work, then put my hair up in a clip. Since coconut oil is the only oil that can penetrate the hair, I leave it in overnight. Wash as usual the next morning. I do this about twice a week.

In the post where is lists the ingredients, you can click where it says “Tropical Traditions Gold Label” and it will take you to the site where you can purchase it. :-)

5. Susan D says

Here in the Northeast, it has been so cold and dry and it’s killing my hair. I use tiny amount of coconut oil as a leave in conditioner on the ends of my hair. Works great! I just take a tiny little blob and rub my hands together until it liquefies and then rub it into all the hair that would be below the elastic if my hair were in a pony tail. The other night I mixed some white sugar into coconut oil and used it as a face scrub- love it!

I’ve been using a little coconut oil in place of the Morrocan Oil recommended by my hairdresser every day. Has been working wonderfully.

We keep a tub of coconut oil by the hearth all winter so it is in its liquid form, ready to use. We both have long hair and love how it conditions. My husband just puts it in his after showering as a leave in conditioner. If I am not going anywhere, I do that too. Otherwise it makes mine look a bit greasy or wet. It is my got-to for face moisturizer. I slather some on after shaving my legs, and use on dry feet before I put my socks on. It is such a wonder treatment!

8. Jane says

I’ve been doing this for a week and it makes my hair SO shiny and silky smooth! Even my male coworkers have commented that my hair looks “very pretty”!

9. Leilah says

I’ve been using coconut oil as a deep conditioning treatment for awhile now. Actually, I use a combination of oils: coconut, olive, and avocado. All are able to easily penetrate the hair and each has its own additional benefit. Sometimes I add a few drops of Peppermint EO. A couple weeks ago I melted down some shea butter and add that to the mix. I had some leftover and saved it and after a few days it became thicker and was easier to apply, more like a thin conditioner. The shea butter was a great addition! My hair is so soft after the treatments! I also use a tiny bit of coconut oil after showering, when my hair is still damp, focusing on the ends and roots/flyaways.