Make Your Own Simple Antibacterial Moisturizing Lotion

homemade lotion

{Welcome to “Save My Sanity Saturday” at One Good Thing By Jillee….where I attempt to avoid having a nervous breakdown by actually giving myself a day off from blogging once a week! So pull up a chair and sit back and enjoy an “oldie but goodie” from the One Good Thing By Jillee archives.}

Tis that time of year again when hands and feet take a BEATING!  Cold weather, forced air heating, constant washing of hands to combat cold and flu germs are doing a number on me!  Time to bring out the big guns in the fight against dry, cracked skin!

I have posted about this lotion before…but I think it’s worth doing so again because I just love the way it works and feels! Plus, it’s very inexpensive to make. This time I even decided to “kick it up a notch” by giving it an antibacterial edge with essential oil.

There are actually several essential oils with antibacterial properties (Melaleuca, Lavender, and Oregano just to name a few)…but I decided to give eucalyptus a try. Laboratory studies have shown that eucalyptus oil contains substances that kill bacteria and some viruses and fungi. I also like the clean, fresh, invigorating scent of eucalyptus.

homemade lotion

To make the Moisturizing Lotion you will need:

• 16 ounces baby lotion (if you have an aversion to baby lotion, pick another lotion)
  • 8 ounces coconut oil (solid form, not melted)
  • 8 ounces vitamin E cream

Mix together with handheld mixer until it resembles icing. I store mine in 1/2 pint mason jars or small tupperware-like containers.

antibacterial lotion

To give your lotion an antibacterial edge, just add 10 drops of eucalyptus essential oil to 4 ounces of lotion. I filled the original 8 ounce Vitamin E Cream container and added 20 drops of eucalyptus essential oil. Other essential oils you can use that offer antibacterial properties include Melaleuca, Wild Orange, Lavender, Geranium, Lemon, and Peppermint.

Now I can fight dry skin AND germs at the same time. :-)

homemade lotion

As always….use coupon code “jillee” to receive 10% off any Spark Naturals order!

Share on Facebook409Tweet about this on Twitter8Pin on Pinterest1,781Google+7

Comments

1. Jeanne says

Jillee–
    Just as you kicked your lotion up a notch, I did the same with mine by adding one part baby sunscreen (SPF50) to three parts lotion. Now when I put lotion on after my shower, I am also getting some sunscreen benefit at the same time. It doesn’t replace wearing sunscreen, but just adds to it.

Love your blog!

JR

2. Kam says

Baby lotion? Really?? Gross..full of chemicals and dyes…why bother making your own if you are still using junk? So many other options that are not chemical filled, just as shea butter or cocoa butter (the real stuff, not the fakes on the pharmacy shelf). BTW, one should never store a product with essential oils in a plastic container, as the oils will eat away at the plastic, even if ever so slightly. :(. Disappointed in this particular post.

3. Kimmy says

These posts are to help people…. It’s great you have suggestions to make this post better BUT there is a proper way to do so… Without being rude and arrogant…this website if for us to help eachorher not be critical.

4. Sara says

I have coconut oil that will liquify around 70 degrees – is that the type that you use? I know that in the past I purchased coconut oil that you needed a sledge hammer to get out of the container. Which one should I use.

5. Georgia Beckman says

Thank you so much for all of these recipes. I am new to essential oils in the last few months & if I have a question lurking in my brain about which essential oil to use or how to use it, I always come here first & do a search. I’ve not yet NOT been able to find an answer. YOU ROCK!

6. Michele Edenfield says

This is awesome! I was just asking a friend yesterday what would make a good lotion base. I already have all of these ingredients on hand so I am making it today. My daughter had reconstructive surgery on her leg at the first of December and the chaffing from her brace is making her a little nuts. It’s not so much really chaffing as it is flakey dry skin. She is very OCD about cleanliness, so thus, the flaking skin makes her a little nuts when it gets on her clothing or bedding. Thanks for sharing!

7. Annabelle says

Totally agree. Come one Jillee, really? Baby oil?
    If you’re going to offer a blog on how to make your own body lotion, please provide a recipe from scratch. Like your oven cleaning method that uses ammonia, again, really?

8. Annabelle says

Kimmy, Kam isn’t being rude, Kam is voicing their opinion. Perhaps your note is rude. In this day and age, blogging an article about making body cream and listing the main ingredient as baby lotion, isn’t acceptable.

It would be like a baking or cooking blog, blogging about making a homemade pie using a frozen pie shell and a canned pie filling.

Do you know what’s in baby lotion? I would never ingest this product, and that’s what your skin is doing, drinking it in.

Without saying this in an offensive manner, you don’t need to blog everyday. You’re better off enjoying your weekend with your family, instead of pulling out archived blogs that are dated or out of touch, like using ammonia as an oven cleaner. Some of your readers made good suggestions in the comments, instead of using ammonia. I don’t think you can even buy bottled ammonia here in Canada.

This is straight talk, please don’t confuse it for anything else. Your blog is fantastic, you have a solid following, but these dated blogs pull your quality down. Give yourself the day off on Saturdays, I’m sure your readers won’t mind.

9. Paula says

Sara,
    I think you have lots of options, my favorites are Tropical Traditions and for ease I us the organic Nutiva.
    The Nutiva I have on autoship with Amazon, I use lots to teach better skin care, healthy options to soldiers-Nutiva is more price friendly in the bulk for me.

I hope that helps you!

Kam, I store lotion with EOs in my empty Vitamin E Cream and other plastic containers and never have a problem. Some oils will leach through plastic, but others don’t seem to, especially when so diluted with the cream or lotion.