Saturday, January 11, 2014

Make Your Own Simple Antibacterial Moisturizing Lotion

homemade lotion

{Welcome to “Save My Sanity Saturday” at One Good Thing By Jillee….where I attempt to avoid having a nervous breakdown by actually giving myself a day off from blogging once a week! So pull up a chair and sit back and enjoy an “oldie but goodie” from the One Good Thing By Jillee archives.}

Tis that time of year again when hands and feet take a BEATING!  Cold weather, forced air heating, constant washing of hands to combat cold and flu germs are doing a number on me!  Time to bring out the big guns in the fight against dry, cracked skin!

I have posted about this lotion before…but I think it’s worth doing so again because I just love the way it works and feels! Plus, it’s very inexpensive to make. This time I even decided to “kick it up a notch” by giving it an antibacterial edge with essential oil.

There are actually several essential oils with antibacterial properties (Melaleuca, Lavender, and Oregano just to name a few)…but I decided to give eucalyptus a try. Laboratory studies have shown that eucalyptus oil contains substances that kill bacteria and some viruses and fungi. I also like the clean, fresh, invigorating scent of eucalyptus.

homemade lotion

To make the Moisturizing Lotion you will need:

• 16 ounces baby lotion (if you have an aversion to baby lotion, pick another lotion)
  • 8 ounces coconut oil (solid form, not melted)
  • 8 ounces vitamin E cream

Mix together with handheld mixer until it resembles icing. I store mine in 1/2 pint mason jars or small tupperware-like containers.

antibacterial lotion

To give your lotion an antibacterial edge, just add 10 drops of eucalyptus essential oil to 4 ounces of lotion. I filled the original 8 ounce Vitamin E Cream container and added 20 drops of eucalyptus essential oil. Other essential oils you can use that offer antibacterial properties include Melaleuca, Wild Orange, Lavender, Geranium, Lemon, and Peppermint.

Now I can fight dry skin AND germs at the same time. :-)

homemade lotion

As always….use coupon code “jillee” to receive 10% off any Spark Naturals order!

Never miss a good thing!
Receive a daily dose of Jillee + bonus newsletters.

46 thoughts on “Make Your Own Simple Antibacterial Moisturizing Lotion

1. Jeanne

Jillee–
    Just as you kicked your lotion up a notch, I did the same with mine by adding one part baby sunscreen (SPF50) to three parts lotion. Now when I put lotion on after my shower, I am also getting some sunscreen benefit at the same time. It doesn’t replace wearing sunscreen, but just adds to it.

Love your blog!

JR

2. Kam

Baby lotion? Really?? Gross..full of chemicals and dyes…why bother making your own if you are still using junk? So many other options that are not chemical filled, just as shea butter or cocoa butter (the real stuff, not the fakes on the pharmacy shelf). BTW, one should never store a product with essential oils in a plastic container, as the oils will eat away at the plastic, even if ever so slightly. :(. Disappointed in this particular post.

1. Kimmy

These posts are to help people…. It’s great you have suggestions to make this post better BUT there is a proper way to do so… Without being rude and arrogant…this website if for us to help eachorher not be critical.

1. Annabelle

Kimmy, Kam isn’t being rude, Kam is voicing their opinion. Perhaps your note is rude. In this day and age, blogging an article about making body cream and listing the main ingredient as baby lotion, isn’t acceptable.

It would be like a baking or cooking blog, blogging about making a homemade pie using a frozen pie shell and a canned pie filling.

Do you know what’s in baby lotion? I would never ingest this product, and that’s what your skin is doing, drinking it in.

Without saying this in an offensive manner, you don’t need to blog everyday. You’re better off enjoying your weekend with your family, instead of pulling out archived blogs that are dated or out of touch, like using ammonia as an oven cleaner. Some of your readers made good suggestions in the comments, instead of using ammonia. I don’t think you can even buy bottled ammonia here in Canada.

This is straight talk, please don’t confuse it for anything else. Your blog is fantastic, you have a solid following, but these dated blogs pull your quality down. Give yourself the day off on Saturdays, I’m sure your readers won’t mind.

2. Marsha

While not necessarily outright rude, Kam could have been more civil in expressing her “opinon.” Her point was made, so the last sentence was unnecessary. She also should have given her own specific recipe, if she has one.

2. Annabelle

Totally agree. Come one Jillee, really? Baby oil?
      If you’re going to offer a blog on how to make your own body lotion, please provide a recipe from scratch. Like your oven cleaning method that uses ammonia, again, really?

3. Patti Page White

Kam, I store lotion with EOs in my empty Vitamin E Cream and other plastic containers and never have a problem. Some oils will leach through plastic, but others don’t seem to, especially when so diluted with the cream or lotion.

4. Gwyn

Kimmy is right you have some great additions to offer this post Kam. But I think in your haste to get them out you missed or forgot that; a) this is a “save her sanity” repeat post that Jillee took the time to add to, the original didn’t include essential oils. Jillee is about great ideas for everyone and baby lotion while something you may not choose to use is a product many people do and have easy access to (there are far worse things we are exposed to each day). Maybe you have a recipe for baby lotion you could share but keep in mind that not everyone is experienced making their own products and want to start simple. b) Speaking from my own experience while glass is ideal for anything with EO’s I have never had an issue with a lotion containing essential oils eating through a plastic jar, particularly the type shown here which I have been known to recycle (like Jillee describes with the vit E lotion jar). Maybe I just use them up too quickly but I think the small percentage (comparatively) of oils in the mix has more to do with it. With the new addition idea of essential oils to this post I got the message loud and clear, each ingredient is open to replacing with something similar if you prefer or omitting all together, I find Jillee very clear on that. I also love learning from the additional suggestions her readers make and share so please continue sharing but in a way that makes us all want to learn.

5. Lani

You know, people have used baby lotion for years. If that’s an inexpensive base for someone to use, it’s sure his or her choice. I probably wouldn’t make the same choice as I’m trying to get as many nearly unpronounceable chemicals out of my life. But, it is a choice. Your choice is to not use it. So be it. The recipe even says to use some other lotion if that is your preference.

EOs when mixed with a lotion base can be stored in plastic. The pure oils can destroy plastics.

There’s direct and then there’s rude. It’s nice to know the difference.

3. Sara

I have coconut oil that will liquify around 70 degrees – is that the type that you use? I know that in the past I purchased coconut oil that you needed a sledge hammer to get out of the container. Which one should I use.

1. Paula

Sara,
      I think you have lots of options, my favorites are Tropical Traditions and for ease I us the organic Nutiva.
      The Nutiva I have on autoship with Amazon, I use lots to teach better skin care, healthy options to soldiers-Nutiva is more price friendly in the bulk for me.

I hope that helps you!

4. Georgia Beckman

Thank you so much for all of these recipes. I am new to essential oils in the last few months & if I have a question lurking in my brain about which essential oil to use or how to use it, I always come here first & do a search. I’ve not yet NOT been able to find an answer. YOU ROCK!

5. Michele Edenfield

This is awesome! I was just asking a friend yesterday what would make a good lotion base. I already have all of these ingredients on hand so I am making it today. My daughter had reconstructive surgery on her leg at the first of December and the chaffing from her brace is making her a little nuts. It’s not so much really chaffing as it is flakey dry skin. She is very OCD about cleanliness, so thus, the flaking skin makes her a little nuts when it gets on her clothing or bedding. Thanks for sharing!

1. Gwyn

I can sympathise, it also itches (and then hurts) like crazy! A vicious cycle…this lotion sounds like it would be perfect. Good luck hope she has a speedy recovery.

6. Kathy

I have been making this lotion since Jillee’s original post. My friends and I all love it. I can’t believe all of the comments about what is wrong with using baby lotion. Please be kind. This is the only blog I read everyday and my thought is that if you don’t like the idea don’t use it. There isn’t any reason to be so rude and obnoxious.

7. justjenny

I hate how rude people can be in their comments to these posts. Some people come here looking for natural products, and some people come here for ideas on ways to spend less money but aren’t as particular about product origins. If you don’t like an ingredient, look for something to replace it. Don’t want to put that on your body? Then don’t. But don’t be rude and disrespectful when you explain why you won’t. I get tired of the sanctimony from some people who comment on these posts. A snotty condescending attitude is not going to convince me of the dangers of baby lotion!

1. rosemary

I guess I don’t understand why someone takes valuable time out of their life to spend it doing something they don’t like. Why read a blog that you don’t agree with, then use more valuable time commenting on how much you disagree. LIFES TOO SHORT LADIES to focus your energies on something that you do not want to be part of. I come here because Jillee delivers EVERY TIME – her blog is titled One Good Thing. She offers up one good thing daily that she has found. She doesn’t claim to do any more than that.

8. CTY

I for one appreciate this blog and the opinions/ideas that come from the comments.
    Jillee has done all of us a fabulous service by not moderating the comments. So many other blogs micro manage comments they feel do not give glowing/agreeing points of view . Keep in mind that this blog is not only about the post, but also about community.
    OGT fosters a sense of community and what we can learn from one and other. It is like sitting around a global kitchen table and talking about the post in an open and frank way. As subscribers we have the right (and IMHO the duty) to articulate our thoughts & concerns about the post. Jillee is not asking anyone to follow her blindly nor does she have a deaf ear to suggestions.
    The only comment that serves no purpose here is the personal attack.

9. Rita

Aquaphor original ointment (not hand cream, etc) looks like vasaline, but when mixed with water forms a white cream to which other oils can be added. Yes it is mineral oil, ceresin & lanolin alcohol as ingredients. Not perfect, but fewer chemicals. I have mixed my own face cream for years. If too thin with all the oils, add a tiny bit of bees wax or e-wax. Fractionated coconut oil (very thin) soaks in quickly and does not leave a greasy feeling(can be purchased from Brambleberry.com), shea butter is firm. Have fun mixing oils your skin likes best.

10. Isabel

I made this lotion and, since I did not have baby lotion, replaced it with lanolin.
    It worked, even though the smell was different.
    So, if you are really bothered by using baby lotion, you could use this as a replacement.

11. STACEY

I, personally, think that all Jillee’s work should be credited. She takes the time and effort through trial and error for our benefit. Being critical and antaganistic benefits no one. If you have something of value to share with all of us, please feel free to do so. Otherwise, please keep your opinions to yourself. I have gained lots of knowledge from the comments from most of you. Please remember to be kind to one another and treat others as you would like to be treated. HAVE AN AWESOME WEEKEND EVERYONE…………………………….

12. Emily

I too want to stick up for Jillee. She obviously works very hard to maintain this blog–professional blogging is NOT easy. While even I do not agree with all the ingredients or tips she recommends, I know many people who are interested in or in the process of transitioning from a totally market-dependent, plastic-dependent lifestyle to a more DIY, eco-friendly one. This blog–”even” a post like this that suggests using a conventional, petroleum-based product and plastic containers–would blog their minds. It’s also important to remember that perhaps not all OGTBJ readers have the monetary resources to go out and replace all their plasticware with stainless steel or glass, or to afford beeswax and coconut oil when baby lotion is so much cheaper and available. Jillee consistently encourages and independent, creative mindset in her readers, and her posts try to liberate them from dependency on what they know, stretch their comfort zones, and invite them to try new things. These goals have way more potential to open doors to healthy living than only blogging about things might be unattainable or intimidating for some people.

For the critics, there’s a big difference between “Gosh, Jillee, this is TERRIBLE because of these reasons, omg.” and “Hey, thanks for the post. Here’s what I do that works well for me and I like it because of this reason.” I myself have been disappointed by blogger’s choices before, and once wrote a negative/constructive comment on a blog post (http://www.mommygreenest.com/mommy-greenest-approved-steamcream-natural-beauty/) that resulted in the blogger doing some more research and writing an editor’s note on the post addressing my concerns. I am NOT trying to toot my own horn, here–I just wanted to offer a concrete example of ONE way that might be more effective than pure ranting.

Anyway, I hope I didn’t offend anyone by my additional comments here. I just wanted to add to the chorus of support for Jillee and the challenging and valuable work she does on her blog. Posting makes a blogger so vulnerable to readers–really, the essentially nameless, faceless Internet–and it’s the LEAST we can do as readers to show a little respect. Write comments as if you’re face-to-face with the blogger in real life. Could you really chew out a stranger to her face? Probably not. So let’s all be grown ups, and stay classy.

1. Emily

And to prove that I’m not immune to my own advice, if we were all sitting around in a real circle talking about this blog post, and it was all getting nice and awkward, I’m pretty sure I would feel comfortable saying what I said, in real life, aloud, in front of people, to them, about what they had said. Maybe that makes me a bad person. Maybe I wouldn’t say what I said quite in the way I did. But as long as we’re all disagreeing openly, with mostly reasonable degrees of politeness (imho), I think there would be a place for what I said and that I would feel comfortable with my own words occupying that place.

Just trying to take some responsibility here. I don’t apologize for being forthright, but I am truly sorry if I offended anyone enough for them to feel like they need to vent about it, in which case as far as I’m concerned, you’re welcome to reply to my comments, and I will try to accord you the same respect and attention that I would hope for for myself and that I think rightly deserves to be demonstrated especially on Jillee’s (awesome) blog.

–Emily, just another piece of the essentially nameless, faceless Internet, who happens to read Jillee’s blog, like you, and cares about post content quality, like you, and felt a little bit important enough to express an opinion in public, like you.

2. Jillee Post author

Thanks Emily :-) I really appreciate your comment. I absolutely appreciate and welcome constructive criticism but I could do without some of the rudeness that ends up in my comments as well.

1. Emily

<3 !

Also, just realized I totally have a typo in my first comment, I meant "blow their minds." I'm not sure how to "blog" someone's mind but that sounds cool, I guess.

13. Tina

My sister is a big believer in glycerin. She uses it on her hands.

If you read the ingredients in a lot of lotions or creams, glycerin is one of them.

If you make your own lotion or creams, you can think about adding glycerin.

14. Marilyn

Jillee, I look forward to each and every post you do-even SOS! When I began reading your blog, I had never heard of essential oils but had enjoyed making a few cleaning products at home. Now I am trying a few EO’s and using more homemade beauty and cleaning products. Your SOS posts are welcome on my computer and I frequently try something the second time around that I wasn’t interested in the first time around. This is your blog-and you should choose what you post. It is up to me to choose whether I utilize the info. You are a bright spot in my day!

15. Pingback: Make Your Own Simple Antibacterial Moisturizing Lotion | Herbs and Oils Hub

16. Michelle

I live where it is very dry all year round. No cream or lotion can quench my dry skin during the winter and my skin even starts to get raw. Ya’ll might have aversion to baby lotion but I actually have had to resort to using petroleum jelly. Nothing else is heavy enough. I googled-and found this is a common solution in places like Alaska. After showering , I scoop out a good amount on my fingers, rub between my palms and lightly skim my body all over. Then I take some good smelling lotion and skim on top–then rub all in together. Saves me from being an alligator.

17. Kimberly

I love Jillee’s website. I love that she gives us alternative recipes for the things we use each day. Many of the items are homemade, from scratch, and many just show different ways to make things, food, lotions, etc. If I were looking for a website that featured all natural products that are hypoallergenic, organic, etc. I would look at a website that features those things.

I wish people would stop being critical of her “recipes” because they are have”bad” things in them. If you are such a purest, perhaps you should find another website and cut the criticism.

I enjoy trying out the “homemade” recipes and I make changes as I see fit. Your opinion is just that.
    I’m voicing mine now.