Make Your Own Natural Alcohol-Free Hand Sanitizer

hand sanitizer

{Welcome to “Save My Sanity Saturday” at One Good Thing By Jillee….where I attempt to avoid having a nervous breakdown by actually giving myself a day off from blogging once a week! So pull up a chair and sit back and enjoy an “oldie but goodie” from the One Good Thing By Jillee archives.}

(Update on a post originally written on December 31, 2011)

Since we are smack dab in the middle of flu season…I think we are all more mindful of how important it is to wash our hands….OFTEN! I personally love my homemade foaming hand soap that I keep at the sink, and use it OFTEN. But soap and water hand washing isn’t always possible. In those circumstances, a hand sanitizer is a good alternative.

hand sanitizer

If you’re like me, you are constantly buying those little bottles at the checkout stand at the grocery store and tucking them in your purse. But since they are so small and don’t last long….you are also constantly throwing the plastic bottle away and buying another one.

This is where the homemade version makes so much sense. You control the ingredients AND the plastic that you throw away.

Most “recipes” you find online will be some combination of alcohol and aloe vera gel…but I recently ran across an online article about a pediatrician in New Jersey who recommends hand sanitizer utilizing essential oils INSTEAD of alcohol because of their anti-bacterial properties and because bacteria can become immune to alcohol-based sanitizers.

So I decided to try this ALL-NATURAL version and have LOVED it. It is much less drying on my hands than the alcohol kind and smells so clean and fresh.

hand sanitizer

Alcohol-Free Homemade Hand Sanitizer

This combination of essential oils is based on the mythical “Thieves” blend of essential oils that has been used for centuries for its’ anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties.

Start with a recycled hand sanitizer bottle or liquid soap bottle. Add the water, aloe vera gel, and all of the essential oils. Put the top of the bottle and shake well.

To use: Pump, squeeze, or spray a small amount of the sanitizer onto your hands and rub hands together. Repeat as needed.

When soap and water aren’t available, mix yourself up a batch of this sweet-smelling natural spray and you’re good to go.

hand sanitizer

Share on Facebook143Tweet about this on Twitter15Pin on Pinterest3,181Google+19

Comments

I have

Hi – I have been reading your wonderful blog for a while now and I decided it was time to stop “lurking” and leave a comment.

I love your blog and I think that your story is inspirational.

I didn’t even know that you could hand make hand sanitiser!! I can imagine how wonderful it smells.

Have a great day:)

2. Dee dee says

I was thinking and wanted to get your opinion on using wich hazel in this as well? I have seen in a blog post from you or your sister Rebecca’s page, on using it in the deodorant I believe. So could it be used in the hand sanitizer?

• Kay says

I got this one from Prevention magazine, and it uses witch hazel. You could probably uses the oils from Jillee’s recipe above. I like it, but the tee tree oil was strong. I added a little more lavender oil, and then it was great. I’m going to try Jillee’s to see which one I like better.

1/2 cup aloe vera gel
      1 1/2 tsp witch hazel
      15 drops tea tree oil
      5 drops lavender essential oil

3. Jen says

Hi Jill, I just stated following your blog and I’m new to essential oils, but very interested in learning more! Where do you get your oils from? Are there tips as to places that are better than others to buy from? With the oils costing what they do I want to purchase wisely. Thank you for your help – love the hand sanitizer recipe – with 2 young boys I go thru hand sanitizer like water!

4. christy m says

I’m glad to see a formula that’s alcohol free. I work at a grocery
    Store and keep a small pocket anti-bacterial gel on me. Also
    Keep big bottles at front of the store for all to use. With this
    Winter weather, plus having to use it, a lot the our hands get
    Very dried out.

5. Rachel says

New reader – loving the homemade cleaning products!

Regarding Andea’s comment about epilepsy – a quick web search shows that there are a number of essential oils that could cause seizures, including Eucalyptus. For more info, please see http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/alternative_oils

But for those of us who aren’t epileptic, I think this is a great idea (as long as you’re not allergic to any of the ingredients). If I can find some reasonably-priced essential oils, I might just try this.

6. Sandee says

Do you have any suggestions on how to make reed defuser refills? I enjoy the lemon verbena scent but am not sure what to use with essential oils.
    Appreciate an suggestions! Love your blog!!!!

1. […] You should know, The Wall Street Journal notes that alcohol-free hand sanitizers don’t have enough clinical studies to prove whether they are as effective or more effective than alcohol-based sanitizers. Then again, if you’re making or using an alcohol-based sanitizer, then make sure it has alcohol concentration of at least 60%—anything under that won’t kill microbes, according to The New York Times. […]

2. […] You should know, The Wall Street Journal notes that alcohol-free hand sanitizers don’t have enough clinical studies to prove whether they are as effective or more effective than alcohol-based sanitizers. Then again, if you’re making or using an alcohol-based sanitizer, then make sure it has alcohol concentration of at least 60%—anything under that won’t kill microbes, according to The New York Times. […]