The Joy Of Citrus {Essential Oils}!

Citrus Essential Oils

Yesterday morning when I was making up the marinade for my Carne Asada that we were going to have for dinner, I realized that I didn’t have any oranges or even any orange juice on hand. The recipe calls for lime juice and orange juice and while I love the lime, the orange really gives it a special kick. So I was a weighing my options about how to proceed when I remembered the Wild Orange essential oil I had in my collection and decided to give that a try! Since essential oil is highly concentrated I only added a couple of drops, but the result was perfection! It gave the carne asada just the right flavor! I don’t think I’ll ever go back to regular orange juice again. :-)

After dinner I got to thinking about how great essential oils are…and especially CITRUS EO’s. I just love them all. Lemon, Lime, Wild Orange, Tangerine, Grapefruit….they all make me happy. And they are SO versatile!

Here are just SOME of the ways you can use Citrus EO’s:

Citrus Essential Oils

LEMON Essential Oil

Energy boost - Add lemon to a glass of water and drink up!

De-GummerGot gum in your hair? Lemon oil will save the day!

Dishwashing BrightenerAdd some lemon oil to your dishwasher soap container. Your dishes will sparkle!

Respiratory RescueAdd some lemon oil to your humidifier to ease colds, coughs, and other upper respiratory problems.

Mental Pick-Me-UpDiffuse some lemon when you’re feeling a little blue and your disposition should turn sunny before you know it.

Citrus Essential Oils

LIME Essential Oil

Deodorant - Mix one drop of lime oil with 2 drops of coconut oil and apply under the arms. It’s not an antiperspirant but it does make a great deodorant.

Dry Erase Board Cleaner - One of the coolest aspects of lime is it de-gunking abilities. Add one drop at a time to a gunky dry erase board and rub with a rag to remove marker, crayon, and buildup.

Flavor Enhancer – Hate the taste of plain water? Add a drop of lime to zest it up and promote your health at the same time.

Skin Revitalizer – Try mixing 1 teaspoon of baking soda, 1 drop of coconut oil, 1 drop of lime oil and just enough water to make a paste and use as a face scrub to revitalize the skin.

Sore Throat - Add a drop of lime and a drop of lemon essential oil to your hot tea, or add to warm water to gargle and alleviate soreness.

Citrus Essential Oils

WILD ORANGE Essential Oil

Anxiety Relief - The aromatic use of orange can calm the nervous system and the mind. Try rubbing a drop between your hands and cupping to your nose in times of stress.

Calm Constipation - Massage 2 drops of orange oil with 2 drops of coconut oil in a clockwise rotation over the entire abdomen 2-3 times a day.

Add Taste to Cooking - Add a drop to a smoothie, or a drop or less to frosting for flavoring. Or add to carne asada marinade. :-)

Tummy Troubles - Massage into the belly counter-clockwise 2-3 times a day to ease an upset stomach.

Sleep Aid - Wild orange essential oil can be uplifting and stimulating to some, but usually has a calming effect which can decrease worry or restlessness and help you sleep.

Citrus Essential Oils

TANGERINE Essential Oil

Clean A Wound - Apply directly to a wound to kill bacteria and to reduce the swelling and redness. Also helps soothe dry, cracked skin.

Massage Oil - Massage into the skin to treat muscle cramps and stiff, painful joints.

Corn Remedy - A drop of tangerine a day for 30 days or less will remove corns from your toes.

Water Retention Aid - Helps reduce levels of water retention and can improve blood circulation. Add to water and drink.

Prevent Stretch Marks - Add a drop or two to a quarter-sized amount of lotion and rub on abdomen. You should always check with a doctor or natural health professional before using any essential oil when you are pregnant.

Citrus Essential Oils

GRAPEFRUIT Essential Oil

Appetite Suppression – Curbs cravings and emotional eating or binge eating when used aromatically.

Edema - Mix 1-2 drops of grapefruit essential oil with coconut oil and massage gently over the area and toward the heart. Repeat 2-3 times a day.

Sugar CravingsInhale grapefruit essential oil from the bottle whenever you’re craving sugar, and considering taking as a dietary supplement 1-3 times a day by adding it to your water.

Jet Lag - Use grapefruit while traveling to help elevate your energy levels. Add it to your water bottles or inhale from the bottle.

Dry Throat - Add 1-2 drops in a cup of warm water and gargle, swallowing after. Or add a drop to a teaspoon of coconut oil and swish through your mouth, gargling, then swallowing or spitting out.

Hair Tonic - It stimulates the hair follicles and aids in hair growth. It also helps encourage thick, strong hair and treats dandruff.

Citrus Essential Oils

BERGAMOT Essential Oil

Psoriasis - Mix several drops with 1 tsp of coconut oil and gently massage into the area 1-2 times a day.

Scar Fading - Bergamot is used extensively in cosmetics and skin-care products because it contains an agent which makes the distribution of pigments and melanin even and uniform, resulting in the fading of scars.

Toning Astringent - Use in a simple toner to help refresh your skin after washing. Also has antibacterial properties.

Ease Muscle Tension - Mix a few drops of bergamot essential oil into your body lotions or massage oils, helping to relieve muscle tension and inflammation. Add just 1 to 2 drops at a time, mixing well and testing the aroma until you reach your desired strength.

Acne Remedy – Create your own acne solution by mixing one part bergamot with 5 parts aloe vera gel. Because bergamot is naturally antiseptic and anti-fungal, it can be used on acne, athlete’s foot, eczema, fungal skin infections and more. Apply the solution twice a day, diluting further if you experience any skin irritation.

An important word of caution: Some oils, especially the citrus oils, are photosensitive. When using photosensitizing oil, wait a minimum of six hours before exposing skin to UV rays. The stronger and more lengthy the UV ray, the longer the wait should be.

Citrus Essential Oils

Use coupon code JILLEE to take 10% off any Spark Naturals order!

Share on Facebook64Tweet about this on Twitter7Pin on Pinterest909Google+14

Comments

1. Kathy says

I’m enjoying your EO posts! I have so many, I have to keep them in a list on my phone so I don’t buy the same ones each time I go to our local herb store. I love the citrus oils and have not tried the grapefruit yet, so thank you for sharing that.
    I just bought spearmint yesterday and I love how it makes me feel when I smell it.

Thank you for sharing!

Grapefruit essential oil smells SO delicious. It is one of my favorites. I like spearmint, too, and use that for my homemade toothpaste recipe. Another amazing one is wintergreen. That reminds me of wint-o-green lifesavers (that I haven’t eaten in so many years because of the chemical toxic ingredients). But I miss them!

2. Mary Burger Miller says

So disappointed that I have been unable to find the Suave Rosemary Mint fragrance conditioner (or anything similar) to make the fabric softener. Do you know if this is still available, or do you have any other suggestions. I live in a small town, but we have three major stores here, and neither have it on their shelves.

• Charlotte says

I just bought some at our local Walmart. I was also going to add that I use the citrus oils mainly in the winter time when I am not out doors as often. ( I did get a bad sunburn last year) But I love the smell of citrus, so this year I just substituted the citrus smells with lemongrass oil. It smells wonderful and can help to deter mosquitos.

3. Shellie says

I have PERMANENT ESOPHAGEAL DAMAGE from ingesting Lemon EO in water. Verified by my MD. Lemon EO is actually distilled from the rind, not the interior of the lemon. Please be careful ingesting EOs. The purer the oil= the stronger the oil.

• amber says

Shellie, I have learned that not all essential oils are created equally. We’re the oils you injested safe for injestion? I know some company’s bottlea say do not ingest. Young Livings oils say supplement and can be ingested.

4. Lisa says

Thanks Jillee, for doing the research I don’t always have the time to do! I love EO’s and have been using them for some time, thanks to you and your suggestions over the last months. I especially love the allergy attack preventer!! I have been doing that now for 3 months, and have not had a single allergy attack. I now share that tip with anyone I hear sneeze, LOL!

• pauline knapp says

started a comment previously and somehow lost it…….I had a question…….Do you know how to get rid of gnats……it is not due to fruit in the bowl…..I have them when no fruit is in the bowl or in the kitchen. It always starts this time of year……and continues all summer. I have tried putting vinigar in a jar with small holes in the top but never caught one. I have sprayed insect repellent but no luck. Thanks PK

• Patsy says

Hi Pauline, We had the same problem and tried the so called gnat traps. They did NOT work. What DID work was putting apple cider vinegar in a small OPEN container. We would leave it out on the counter or the window sill where it seemed like the liked to congregate for 3-4 days then put fresh out until the problem was gone. Try this, it worked for us. ;-)

5. Valerie says

Ingesting oils is a really bad idea. Permanent damage can occur. Most oils actually ARE created equal…don’t believe the bull that some brands are so “pure” that you can ingest. Just not true–Marketing scheme. I’ve read horror stories about ignesting eo’s. Also, bergamot, lime, grapefruit in particular are very phototoxic in the sun—be careful with these.

6. Gail Franks says

If there is concern about using citrus essential oils in cooking/human consumption, you can buy orange extract in the baking section of most grocery stores. Still do not need to have oranges or orange juice on hand. I use this all the time with good results. No worries about safety if using the extract.

7. deb j says

I would never ingest an essential oil, I don’t care what the manufacturer recommends. I do use extracts or I just get my rear to the store to get the ingredients I need

8. Leslie says

Please remember never to use citrus essential oils around cats. Even a little mixed in for something like a carpet freshener can be dangerous to felines.

I’m a big fan of essential oils and have learned a lot about them from your posts, and have even ordered some from Spark nNaturals. I just have to put this info out for folks who are just learning abou EOS or about cats. Thanks, Jillie.

I agree with all of the cautions regarding citrus essential oils and the sun….here’s another link about a sunburn story: http://thehomespunlife.com/photo-sensitive-essential-oils/

For this reason, I don’t use citrus essential oils in any of the natural deodorant that I make….EXCEPT for bergamot because I ONLY use bergamot that is bergaptene free. Bergaptene free bergamot eo is not phototoxic….so it’s a safe eo to put on the skin and go in the sun!

One other note about bergaptene free bergamot: this is accomplished by either heating the oil or by vacuum distillation. Heating can damage the oil’s therapeutic properties, so try to find a company that does vacuum distillation. Also, if you’re not using organic eo, vacuum distilling removes pesticides and herbicides. (And there are lots of these sprayed on citrus, so that’s a second benefit!)

Has anyone heard if this vacuum distilling is done on other citrus essential oils to make them safe for topical use in the sun?

10. CTY says

Grapefruit is really good for cleaning up petroleum based oil/grease. I put some in the batch of Jill’s hand scrub recipe I make for my husband. For greasy/oily clothes it can be added to the detergent.

11. Nechelle says

This isn’t about citrus EO’s, but, I wanted to share. I got “suckered” (with my eyes open) into a monthly “shop or auto ship” program. The products were… amazing, but extremely expensive. The one product that I will be willing to go back on their site to re-order is the “tea tree oil” (melaluca acernifolia oil). I bake all the time, so I get burns all the time. A drop on the burn, and 10 minutes later, the burning sensation is gone, no blister, and no SCAR. The down side to that is for that 10 minutes it hurts like the dickens. I started using cool water, then putting the oil on, didn’t work as fast, but, it also didn’t hurt as bad. I was wondering if you have used the Spark EO for burns, or deep blemishes (a drop rubbed directly onto the spot dries it up). The price difference is almost mind blowing!!

Body scrubs are one of the easiest homemade beauty products to make.
    Looking beautiful doesn’t have to be hard on your budget or the environment.
    Inlcude fish, whole grains, legumes, dairy products, and fresh fruits and vegetables to prevent wrinkles and maintain healthy skin.