It seems like everywhere I turn lately, I run across another “___ Uses For Coconut Oil” list. Sometimes when things are HYPED that much…my skeptic radar goes into overdrive. But the more I read about it, the more it DOES seem like it can do just about anything! I have read so much about Coconut Oil in the past week, my head is spinning! But despite research overload vertigo…I have managed to glean some of my personal favorites from the HUNDREDS I read about and thought I would share them with you.
Including this recipe for a homemade toothpaste that I absolutely LOVE using on my pearly whites! :-)
Homemade Coconut Oil Toothpaste
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 3 Tbsp baking soda
- 25 drops peppermint essential oil
- 1 packet stevia
- 2 tsp vegetable glycerin (optional)
Put the coconut oil and baking soda in a bowl and mash up with a fork until blended.
Add the peppermint essential oil, stevia and optional vegetable glycerin and continue to mash and stir until you’ve reached toothpaste consistency.
This recipe surprised me! I was anticipating it tasting pretty nasty…but it was minty fresh instead! AND it left my teeth feeling clean and “slickery.” (yeah…I made that word up.) 5 stars from me!!
Here are some other clever ways to utilize coconut oil:
- Mixing with Makeup: Add to mineral foundation powder for a great no-streak glowing foundation. I only use mineral makeup foundation. But sometimes I feel like my skin could use something with a little moisture to it to use as a base. So I tried this tip and I LOVED it. I used the “liquid” foundation first…then finished off with the powder and got such a nice, even coverage! I wouldn’t use it for everyday, but for special occasions….DEFINITELY!
- Frizzy Hair Remedy: After washing and conditioning, rub a small amount between palms and smooth over wet hair, style as usual.
- Hair Mask: 2 Tbs olive oil, 2 Tbs coconut oil, 2 Tbs almond oil, however many punctured vitamin E tablets as you want, and some lemon juice.
- Homemade Deodorant: Click here for the recipe!
- Moisturizing Shower Scrub: Combine 1 cup coconut oil, 1/2 cup aloe vera gel, and 1/4 cup baking soda.
- Healthy “Magic Shell” ice cream topping: Click here for a super simple recipe!
- Keep a little container in your purse for lip moisturizer.
- Condition your wooden cutting boards: Click here for moisturizing “Spoon Butter” to keep wooden boards and utensils in great shape!
- Add a spoonful to your dog or cat’s food.
- Use on your baby’s diaper rash or cradle cap.
- For nursing mothers, use coconut oil on your nipples to prevent cracking and irritation.
- Use to help reduce visibility of stretch marks or to prevent stretch marks.
- If you’re prone to nosebleeds, coat the inside of your nostrils with coconut oil regularly.
- Ear infections. Tilt your head to the side and put a few drops in (or a small chunk if you don’t want to melt it… your body heat will soon melt it).
- Homemade Vapor Rub: Click here for the recipe.
- Insect Repellent: Mix with peppermint, lemon balm, citronella, rosemary, or tea tree oil.
- Mix with baking soda for a non-toxic “Goo Gone:” Check out the results here.
- Got gum stuck in your hair? Try using coconut oil to remove without cutting your hair.
- Mix with butter and toss your popcorn in it. Yum!
- Gluten-Free Chocolate ‘Bark:’ Click here for the recipe.
- Strengthening Nails: Add a drop of lavender to a little dish of coconut oil and rub it into your nails and they will be strong and lovely.
- Melt a tablespoon of it and pour it into your smoothie: 1 cup full-fat yogurt, 1/2 cup strawberries, 2 Tbsp maple syrup, 1Tbsp melted coconut oil. Delicious and healthy.
- Eye Makeup Remover: Click here for the recipe.
- Use coconut oil as a natural guitar string lubricant and string cleaner.
- Use coconut oil instead of the pricey toxic shampoos to get rid of lice.
- Moisturizing Mash: Click here for a recipe that softens the driest skin!
- Mix garlic with coconut oil and it makes whatever you’re cooking taste buttered!
- Use coconut oil mixed with baking soda, oatmeal or sugar for a moisturizing and brightening facial scrub.
- Sore Throat Remedy: If you feel a sore throat coming on, let a spoonful of coconut oil dissolve on your tongue and coat your throat. Sore throat should be gone by the next day!
- Sunscreen: Get the all-natural recipe here!
- Soothing After-Sun Lotion: Click here for a recipe that’s great on sunburns!
- Use it on cold sores!
- Lip Scrub: Click here for a 4-ingredient recipe that makes a great gift!
- Cinnamon toast is AMAZING with coconut oil in place of butter!
Want MORE coconut oil ideas?
- MY FAVORITE HEALTH & BEAUTY TRICKS USING COCONUT OIL
- DIY COCONUT OIL BODY WASH
- HOW TO MAKE A COCONUT OIL DEEP CONDITIONER FOR YOUR HAIR
- HOW TO MAKE A SIMPLE COCONUT OIL SALT SCRUB
- HOW TO MAKE FLAVORED COCONUT OIL TABLETS FOR A HEALTHY MOUTH