They say that NECESSITY is the MOTHER OF INVENTION….well, I was in need of some SERIOUS invention intervention yesterday! I had a list a mile long of stuff to do before Thanksgiving and ONE of them was to find a tablecloth. Sounds simple enough huh? Au contraire!
I went to four different stores in search of a Thanksgiving tablecloth and came up empty-handed. I was even willing to entertain the idea of a SLIGHTLY Thanksgiving-ISH tablecloth at one point…just SOMETHING that I could pass off as a “Thanksgiving tablecloth”. But no. Nothing.
I could have bought a dozen CHRISTMAS tablecloths…but not a single Thanksgiving/Fall/Autumn to be found. As a matter of fact…there wasn’t hardly ANYTHING of a Thanksgiving nature to be found! Come on retailers…I realize there is pressure to SELL, SELL, SELL at Christmastime….but give Thanksgiving a chance too! You just lost out on a BIG SALE! At one point I was close to paying ANYTHING for a Thanksgiving tablecloth. Big mistake. ;-)
So here is where the NECESSITY and INVENTION come in!
While there wasn’t much to choose from in an Autumn motif, I did manage to find a few cloth napkins. Of course I couldn’t find enough of one kind to make a tablecloth. However, there were enough of three DIFFERENT napkins (that were all in the same “family”) to create a “tablecloth quilt” of sorts. At this point I was desperate…so I grabbed 3 of each (for a total of 9) and brought them home PRAYING I could figure something out.
At about 9pm last night I finally got around to my tablecloth project. I lucked out and found a spool of yellow thread in my sewing box that actually worked quite well with the napkins (I feared I was going to have to use white because at THIS point I was NOT going to another store!)
Unfortunately, since I was making this thing up as I went along and had NO idea if it was even going to work, I didn’t take any pictures of the process.
About the only help I can provide at this point is this little graphic I made showing the order in which I sewed the edges of the dish towels together. And I do literally mean I sewed the edges together. I simply butted the finished edges of the napkins up against each other and zig-zagged them together. No seam allowances to deal with.
Since the dish towels were not all completely square OR the exact same size….there was a little bit of trimming involved, but, surprisingly, not much. The whole project went about as smoothly as I could have hoped for! Which I was very appreciative of…especially after the lesson in futility and frustration I had just gone through at the stores. :-)
So that is my VERY Last Minute Thanksgiving Tablecloth! I’m pretty happy with how it turned out, considering how little thought went into the whole thing. I’m thinking I might just make one DELIBERATELY (and not just out of desperation) for Christmas! I have seen SO many CUTE Christmas dish towels out there this year that would work perfectly for this. I might even take a few pictures next time. ;-)
I’m truly grateful for the community that you have helped me create here.
I hope it continues for a very long time to come. :-)