Today’s post is technically a “gluten-free” recipe….but I have no doubt it will appeal to a much wider audience than that. This is one of those NGF (Naturally Gluten-Free) recipes that I am so grateful for when I run across them.
Another thing I am grateful for? Meeting and getting to associate with other people who suffer with celiacs disease. I attended a session yesterday at the SXSW Conference headed up by an author who has written a book called “Gluten Is My B*tch“.
I apologize to those of you offended by the title…but I think the reason the author uses that language is to get our attention more than anything else. The only reason I bring this up is that it brought home to me how many people are suffering with this issue. The statistics are quite staggering.
- One in 133 Americans have celiac disease.
- An estimated 3 million Americans across all races, ages and genders suffer from celiac.
- It is estimated that 85% of Americans who have celiac disease are undiagnosed or misdiagnosed with other conditions.
As frustrating and discouraging as those statistics are…I take comfort in the fact that my son was diagnosed during a day and age when so many gluten-free options are available.
Including this recipe for BBQ Chicken Lettuce Wraps that I ran across on Blissful and Domestic.
This was such a delicious and easy recipe and is a great option for anyone…..gluten-free or not! :-)
BBQ Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Place 3-4 chicken breasts in a slow cooker
Pour your favorite BBQ sauce over them.
Cook for 5-6 hours on low.
Shred chicken with two forks. To eat, pile spoonfuls of the chicken mixture into the lettuce leaves, wrapping the lettuce around the filling
nom nom nom.
- 3-4 chicken breasts
- BBQ sauce
- Place 3-4 chicken breasts in a slow cooker
- Pour your favorite BBQ sauce over them.
- Cook for 5-6 hours on low.
- Shred chicken with two forks.
- To eat, pile spoonfuls of the chicken mixture into the lettuce leaves, wrapping the lettuce around the filling