It seems like everywhere I turn lately, I run across another “___ Uses For Coconut Oil” list. Sometimes when things are hyped that much…my skeptic radar goes into overdrive. But the more I read about it, the more it does seem like it can do just about anything! I have read so much about coconut oil in the past week, my head is spinning! But despite research overload vertigo…I have managed to glean some of my personal favorites from the hundreds I read about and thought I would share them with you.
Including this recipe for a homemade toothpaste that I absolutely love using on my pearly whites! :-)
Homemade Coconut Oil Toothpaste
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 3 Tbsp baking soda
- 25 drops peppermint essential oil
- 1 packet stevia
- 2 tsp vegetable glycerin (optional)
Put the coconut oil and baking soda in a bowl and mash up with a fork until blended.
Add the peppermint essential oil, stevia and optional vegetable glycerin and continue to mash and stir until you’ve reached toothpaste consistency.
This recipe surprised me! I was anticipating it tasting pretty nasty…but it was minty fresh instead! And it left my teeth feeling clean and “slickery.” (yeah…I made that word up.) 5 stars from me!
Here are some other clever ways to utilize coconut oil:
- Healthy “Magic Shell” Ice Cream Topping: Mixing coconut oil and Nutella together in a 2:1 ratio makes an amazing snack! You can spoon it over ice cream and it hardens within a minute, making a yummy alternative to store-bought crackle topping.
- Gluten-Free Chocolate ‘Bark’: I love it when I find a gluten-free treat that doesn’t taste gluten-free! Coconut oil plays a major role in making this brownie bark absolutely delicious! Click here for the recipe.
- Smoothie Booster: Melt a tablespoon of coconut oil and pour it into your blender along with 1 cup full-fat yogurt, 1/2 cup berries, and 2 Tbsp maple syrup. Delicious and healthy.
- Garlic “Butter”: Garlic and coconut oil combined make a delicious and creamy dairy-free spread that you can put on bread, use in recipes, or just keep on hand to use in place of regular butter.
- Cinnamon Toast: You will love this cinnamon toast made with coconut oil instead of butter. Toast your bread, and while it’s still warm, “butter” it with coconut oil then sprinkle liberally with cinnamon sugar. So yummy!
- Movie Popcorn: Many movie theaters use coconut oil to pop their popcorn. It adds a layer of flavor that other cooking oils just don’t quite match. It’s a much healthier, much tastier popcorn!
- Wood Conditioner: Keep your wooden spoons, bowls, platters, and cutting boards protected from from drying, cracking and staining with this moisturizing “spoon butter.” Click here for the recipe.
- Add To Your Pets’ Food: Many vets recommend the regular use of coconut oil for dogs and many other pets as an excellent source of nutrients. The recommended dose is a teaspoon of coconut oil per 10 pounds of dog. Start with about 1/4 the recommended dosage and build up to the recommended level over 3-4 weeks.
- Non-toxic “Goo Gone:” Equal parts coconut oil and baking soda and a few drops of a citrus-based essential oil work like a charm removing sticker and label goo. Check out the results here.
- Gum Stuck In Hair: We’ve all heard about using peanut butter to solve those dreaded gum-in-hair moments, but coconut oil is a better alternative. Apply some coconut oil on the gum, let it sit for a couple of seconds, and slide the gum out
- Insect Repellent: Mix some coconut oil with either peppermint, tea tree, or rosemary essential oils, and apply to your skin to help ward off mosquitoes and other summer insects! Rubbing coconut oil on an existing bug bite can also calm the itching and bring down the swelling.
- Homemade Deodorant: This all-natural deodorant is a cheaper, healthier, and non-staining alternative to traditional deodorant/antiperspirant. Click here for the recipe.
- Moisturizing Shower Scrub: Combine coconut oil, Epsom salt, and essential oil to for a body scrub that exfoliates wonderfully, and softens and soothes sensitive skin. Click here for the recipe.
- Homemade Vapor Rub: This simple homemade chest rub has four ingredients, takes about 5 minutes to make, and works like a charm when you have a cough and congestion. Click here for the recipe.
- Nosebleeds: If you’re prone to nosebleeds, rubbing a little coconut oil inside your nose every day helps the tissues stay healthy and not crack in dry weather.
- Ear infections: Lie on your side and put a few drops of melted coconut oil in your ear (or a small chunk if you don’t want to melt it, your body heat will soon melt it.) Continue reclining for several minutes to allow the oil to absorb into the ear. To prevent the oil from coming out, place a small piece of a cotton ball in the outer ear.
- Sunscreen: This all-natural sunscreen is simple, effective, and contains moisturizing ingredients that will leave your skin feeling soft and hydrated. Click here for the recipe.
- Soothing After-Sun Lotion: Click here for the recipe that’s packed full of rich, skin healing ingredients (including coconut oil) to nourish overexposed skin and help relieve the burn.
- Sore Throat Remedy: If you feel a sore throat coming on, let a spoonful of coconut oil dissolve on your tongue and coat your throat, helping to relieve the pain. Plus, coconut oil has anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties that can help get rid of that sore throat, and support a strong immune system to ward off future illnesses.
- Cold Sores: Coconut oil contains medium chain triglycerides that have antiviral, antibiotic, and antifungal properties, which are very good at killing and inactivating the virus that causes cold sores. Dab it on as soon as you feel the blister start forming and take it internally too.
- Eye Makeup Remover: This simple 2-ingredient remover works quickly and easily in taking off even my toughest eye makeup, and leaves my skin feeling super soft and moisturized! Click here for the recipe.
- Hair Mask: For a quick and easy hair mask that nourishes, smooths, and adds shine to your hair -mix together 6 Tbsp of coconut oil, 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar, and 1/2 cup honey. After shampooing and conditioning, rub a small amount through the ends of your hair and leave on for 3-5 minutes. Rinse and style as usual.
- Lip Scrub: This super simple sugar lip scrub can be made in minutes, using just a few simple ingredients from your pantry. And since all the ingredients are edible, you could just lick your lips clean! Not only will your lips be nice and smooth, but your breath will be minty fresh too! :-)
Click here for the recipe.
- Lip Moisturizer: Keep a little container in your purse for when your lips get dry.
- Moisturizing Beauty Mash: This combination of coconut oil and olive oil is super hydrating and very versatile, and you can use it to moisturize dry skin all over your body! (And yes, that does include the skin on your face.) Click here for the recipe.
- Nail Strengthener:Add a drop of lavender to a teaspoon of coconut oil and rub it into your nails. The nutrients in the coconut oil will strengthen your nails and cuticles and add shine to your nails as well.
- Face Scrub: Use coconut oil mixed with baking soda, oatmeal or sugar for a moisturizing and brightening facial scrub. Click here for more custom face scrub recipes.
Want MORE coconut oil ideas?