Of all the homemade solutions and remedies that I have made over the years using essential oils, my very favorite has to be my anti-aging facial serum. I love that instead of blowing my money on expensive night creams full of chemicals, fragrance, and things I can’t even pronounce, I can make my own serum customized for my own skin type.
Why a serum? Why not a cream or lotion? The beauty of a serum is that most of the fluid is eliminated so what you’re left with is a high concentration of ingredients that penetrate your skin faster and more effectively. That makes serums ideal for troubleshooting specific problems such as age spots, sun damage and fine lines. (They’re also great because a little bit goes a long way! This usually makes them more economical in the long run than creams and lotions.)
While commercial serums can be effective, I prefer the simplicity of pure, therapeutic essential oils. So I came up with an all-natural anti-aging serum with the power of pure essential oils! Here’s a few details about each of the oils in this serum:
- Lavender is used to treat various skin disorders such as acne, wrinkles, psoriasis, and other inflammatory conditions, and is commonly used to speed up the healing process of wounds, cuts, burns, and sunburns. It also helps regenerate skin cells and lighten the appearance of age spots and scars.
- Geranium helps regulate oil production, reducing acne breakouts. Improves skin elasticity and tightens skin, reducing the appearance of wrinkles. Promotes blood circulation, helping to heal bruises, broken capillaries, and other skin conditions.
- Cypress helps kill bacteria on the skin, and is used to treat sores, pimples, pustules and skin eruptions.
- Rosemary contains antioxidants that slow down the effect of aging on the skin. Also helps to tighten sagging and loose skin, making it firmer and more elastic.
Now that you know a bit more about what goes into my anti-aging serum, it’s time to learn how to make it! :-)
Naturally Nourishing Anti-Aging Facial Serum
- 1/2 ounce rosehip seed oil*
- 2 drops lavender essential oil
- 2 drops geranium essential oil
- 1 drop cypress essential oil
- 1 drop rosemary essential oil
Note: I chose to use rosehip seed oil because I’ve read that it’s one of the best carrier oils for anti-aging purposes. However, you can use any carrier oil that’s recommended for use in skincare, like jojoba oil, argan oil, or sweet almond oil.
Add the rosehip seed oil and essential oils to a small dropper bottle or roller bottle, and shake gently before each use.
How To Use Your Anti-Aging Facial Serum
Wash your face and use a toner before applying the serum. Add a drop or two of the serum to your fingertip and dab gently on fine lines, age spots and uneven skin tone areas. (Remember, a little goes a long way!) Then use your moisturizer afterwards, if you use one.
Since I started using this serum about a year ago, my skin and skintone have improved dramatically! I have less redness and more even skintone and those pesky age spots are distinctly lighter! I can tell my skin loves me for using it. :-) So give it a try and let me know what you think.