There are several ways to experience the therapeutic benefits of essential oils. I have posted about many of them before (see “Essential Oils…How Do I Use Them?“), but today I’ve discovered something new that you might not have heard of before. I first heard about it from my sister Dori who has elementary-aged school children. Since schools are very picky about what they allow children to have in school with them, she was looking for a way for her kids to benefit from the essential oil blend for ADHD, Focus Focus Focus, throughout the day without having to take a bottle with them.
That’s when she decided to try a terra cotta pendant diffuser that they could wear around their necks. Terra cotta is known for its absorbent and porous properties, and you literally only need to add a drop of your favorite essential oils to enjoy the therapeutic benefits for days!
She purchased her diffuser pendants for $7.99 each and was limited to 1 or 2 somewhat obscure designs. I figured I could make a pendant for MUCH less money and create a few fun designs of my own. Plus, I’ve actually been wanting to try out the new air-day clays (no baking necessary!) and this presented the perfect opportunity.
MY LATEST VIDEOS
DIY Pendant Diffuser
- Terra-cotta clay (I bought mine on Amazon.)
- Small stamps or clay cutters (small—no more than 1 inch in diameter)
- Needle tool (or toothpick)
- Leather shoelaces
- 1 – 1.5 inch clay cutters (can use bottle caps, cookie cutters, etc.)
- Rolling pin
Break off a piece of terra cotta clay and work it with your hands until pliable.
Use the rolling pin to roll out the clay until it’s 1/8 inch thick.
Take your cutting tool and press firmly into the clay to make the pendant.
Remove the excess clay and stamp your design into the clay pendant.
Once you have stamped the pendants, make a hole in the pendant. Make sure the hole is big enough to fit your leather shoelace through. Allow to dry according to the directions.
Cut your leather laces to the desired length and lace through the hole in your pendant. Put one drop of your preferred essential oil onto the pendant and allow to soak in before putting on.
That’s it! Now you can enjoy the benefits of essential oils throughout the day! If the scent begins to fade, just add another drop to the pendant. Remember that a little essential oil goes a long way. One drop is plenty.
Ideas for using your pendant diffuser:
- For school-aged children who suffer from ADHD, apply Focus Focus Focus, an essential oil blend made especially for ADHD, to the diffuser and let them wear it to school around their neck.
- I personally like to apply the essential oil blends Bliss or Relaxation to my pendant and wear it around my neck when I’m feeling anxious or having a stressful day. Holding the pendant to my nose and breathing deeply calms me down and helps me feel more balanced.
- Try Sweet Orange or Peppermint for when you need a quick pick-me-up!
- Give Lavender a try when winding down at night.
A few more helpful hints:
- Only use single essential oils or essential oil blends WITHOUT carrier oils. Carrier oils will not evaporate rapidly, and may clog the pores of the clay.
- If you want to change the oil on the diffuser, wait until most of the original scent has evaporated (usually 2 or 3 days), then apply the next one.
- When applying the essential oil to your pendant, lay it down flat on a table and drip one drop onto the top (front) of the clay.
- Make sure the oil is fully absorbed into the terra cotta before using so it won’t stain clothing.
- Besides wearing around your neck, you can also hang them on doorknobs, lamps, light fixtures, bedposts…even in your car.
The best thing about these little charmers is that you can always have your favorite essential oil right with you without having to tote around a bottle. Just grab your pendant and breathe deeply!