Don’t you just despise that feeling when the alarm goes off in the morning and you think “It’s too early!” (No matter what time it goes off!) Getting myself going in the morning is always challenging. I know a lot of us reach for that blast of caffeine in the A.M. to help us get a jumpstart…..but honestly, I think simply drinking a glass of orange juice can be just as energizing and there are studies that show that it can actually improve your mood! A huge plus in my book! :-)
It must have something to do with the fact that one serving of 100% O.J. packs such a nutritional punch! It is more nutrient dense than many of the other fruit juices we commonly drink…including apple, grape, pineapple and prune.
For me, there’s just something about that refreshing citrus that always gives me a boost. Whether it’s in a glass, or in a smoothie, or even a frozen treat! (I do love my frozen treats!)
MY LATEST VIDEOS
With O.J. on my mind…I was inspired to invent this little gem yesterday. Mini Orange Yogurt Pops. If there’s anything I like more than frozen treats…it’s MINI frozen treats. :-)
Mini Orange Yogurt Pops
- 1 1/2 cups 100% orange juice
- 1 1/2 cups vanilla Greek Yogurt
- 1 – 2 teaspoons sugar (to your taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Whisk together: orange juice, greek yogurt, sugar and vanilla in a small bowl.
Pour the mixture into your favorite molds. (I used mini party cups I found at the grocery store.) Put in freezer for 10 to 15 minutes to firm up, then insert the sticks (I cut straws in half) and freeze until completely firm.
Run the pops briefly under hot water to unmold. (it also helps if you gently push on the bottom of the cup to break the vacuum seal.)
Here are a few more delicious and nutritious ideas from nutrition expert, Kathleen Zelman, MPH, RD
Think outside the box before trying to satisfy your cravings from roadside convenience stores or airport kiosks. Plan ahead and take a cooler with portable, smart snacks that fit your on-the-go lifestyle like nuts, hummus with veggies, granola bars and 8-ounce cartons of 100 percent orange juice that will help give you the energy and nutrients you need to get through your travel day.
Choose leaner cuts of beef, pork, and poultry to grill and pair your protein with other nutrient-rich foods, such as high-fiber fruit, vegetables, whole grains and healthy fats. Add 100 percent Florida orange juice to marinades for poultry and pork for a refreshing citrus zing and pour a glass of 100 percent orange juice to accompany your meal.
Adding Florida Orange Juice to your daily diet is an excellent way to help maintain your overall health and well being….and who couldn’t use more of that?
FROZEN JUICE POPS
- 1 1/2 cups Orange juice 100%
- 1 1/2 cups Vanilla Greek Yogurt
- 2 teaspoons Sugar to your taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- Whisk together: orange juice, greek yogurt, sugar and vanilla in a small bowl.
- Pour the mixture into your favorite molds. (I used mini party cups I found at the grocery store.) Put in freezer for 10 to 15 minutes to firm up, then insert the sticks (I cut straws in half) and freeze until completely firm.
- Run the pops briefly under hot water to unmold. (it also helps if you gently push on the bottom of the cup to break the vacuum seal.)