I must get asked at least once a day lately if I’m done with my Christmas shopping. My answer is always the same…”Yes”…except for my husband. I don’t know what it is, but I always leave him until the last minute because I just don’t find him easy to shop for. I don’t think I’m alone in this, but according to my nephew & business partner, Scott, it shouldn’t be this hard! Scott is stepping in today to let us all in on the “secrets” to shopping for guys! Welcome Scott!
We often hear the phrase “men are simple,” and the truth is, we are! For some reason it seems whenever gifts are part of the equation, men become complex. It shouldn’t be that way! Countless times I’ve heard my wife say, “you’re so hard to shop for Scott!” Confused and ashamed, I timidly reply, “no I’m not, you are.”
MY LATEST VIDEOS
If women took a step back and looked at the man they love in a more practical way, they’d see how easy he is to shop for. I’ve broken it down into 6 categories to help you identify the perfect gifts:
#1 THE GARAGE
Better known as the man cave, dude dungeon, or place of peace – this “room” typically is the domain of man of house. We can always use more stuff in the garage. Here are some ideas:
- Tools, tools, and more tools There isn’t a tool you can’t have more than one of, and there are thousands of them out there. You can’t lose with Sears!
- Shelves – not expensive ones! We all could be a little more organized. These shelves have been amazing for me!
- Decorations of some sort. (Just don’t call them “decorations”. It makes us feel less “manly”.) The garage is the place in the house where you can let your man have some fun. If he wants to hang up a poster of Vanilla Ice or Guns N Roses, let him. Here’s my garage to give you a better idea on what it is I’m talking about… I call it my “dork wall.”
- Grab him a couple fun posters from Walmart! What you see on my wall are called Fatheads.
- Car wash certificates. Although these aren’t for the garage itself, it’s all about the beauty of what lives in the garage, our vehicles. I love car wash certificates, and so does every man. Go to your local cash war and pick some up!
#2 THE OFFICE
Most men spend quite a bit of time in their office. Based on what I’ve seen, their offices are ugly as sin and bare to the bone. Let’s face it, every man’s office could use a woman’s touch, as well as the every day essentials. So help them! The truth is, men don’t like to shop for anything in their office. Take a look at my office.
Notice all the little things I’ve got on the shelves to give my office a little more character! Now let’s discuss some ideas:
- Framed family photo.
- Picture of him with the kids.
- His favorite motivational quote in a frame.
- Picture of his beautiful wife or girlfriend (YOU!) Ask them what their favorite picture is of you and then frame it!
- More “decorations.” Almost all of the items you see on the shelves in my office were given to me by my wife or kids! I love them all!
Here are few more ideas:
- Wall clock – I own this one.
- Sports memorabilia – great stuff here.
- Books – ask him for his favorites! Right now on Amazon you can get an extra 25% off any book.
- Pictures your kids drew for him – priceless!
- Pens – we can always use more pens. G2s are my absolute favorite.
#3 THE BATHROOM
This place is much like the office. We need a bunch of stuff, but aren’t willing to shop for it. Here are some ideas:
- The Philips Norelco Mangroomer – this may be the greatest invention in the history of man. Nothing more to be said.
- Electric toothbrush if he doesn’t already have one. These are the greatest!
- Toothpaste – most toothpaste is disgusting. I found the best tasting toothpaste ever. I just want to eat it!
- Cologne – you can never go wrong with cologne. Whether he already has a favorite, you have a favorite, or you need a suggestion, he needs it. Here is an article that lists the top colognes for 2014 that I approve of. My personal favorite – Aqua di Gio.
- His favorite razor WITH RAZOR REFILLS. Refill blades are the more exciting of the two if you ask me. Gillette Fusion is my favorite.
- Nose hair trimmer – are you tired of the sasquatch living in your man’s nostrils? Do something about it. I love this bad boy.
#4 THE CLOSET
Again, stuff we need in here, don’t like to shop for it. Most of us only enjoy shopping if it’s for cars, electronics, or outdoor goods. Here are some things he could probably use:
- Underwear! rather than tell us how disgusting, old, and discolored our underwear is, help us fix the problem. Many men have underwear they’ve been wearing for 5 years. Some men, 10 years plus (I just threw up a little in my mouth.) Get him some new ones for heaven sakes! Then compliment him on how nice his underwear looks the next time he has them on! Go to his underwear drawer to check out what size he wears.
- Ties (expected but needed) – try a skinny tie if he doesn’t already have one!
- Socks (expected but needed) – I am a lover of socks. I have way too many pairs. Like I said, I love them. The best socks on earth are, without question, STANCE socks. Stylish and comfortable. Get him a pair and he will never want a different pair.
#5 THE BEDROOM
Get your mind out of the gutter. There are a lot of things we need in the bedroom… Stop it. Here’s what I mean:
- Pillow – most of us need a nice new pillow. The one we have is flat and smells like stale saliva.
- Fun blanket to make him feel young again. Get him a blanket that has his favorite sports team, superhero, or cartoon character on it. He will cherish the thing forever. Here’s me and my blanket.
- Alarm clock – one with all the bells and whistles. One that doesn’t sound like a bomb is going off when you hear it. Here’s the one I have.
- Magazine subscription – every man needs a magazine he loves on his night stand to read and help him fall asleep each night. He’ll love this idea. Go buy the most recent issue, wrap it, and write a little note saying he has a year’s subscription lined up. Amazon has awesome deals on subscriptions.
#6 THE MAN
I’m talking about HIM. The guy that was lucky enough to get YOU. :) What is he all about? What does he like? What does he do? It should be pretty obvious after giving it just a little thought. Again, WE ARE SIMPLE CREATURES. To help you identify the gifts that will make him feel like he’s 8 years old again on Christmas morning, you need to dissect your man. To better explain what I mean, here’s me in a nut shell:
- Born in Long Beach, CA
- I’m a runner
- I’m a diehard Dodgers fan
- I’m a diehard Lakers fan
- Music is my passion, I love going to live shows and discovering new music
- I’ve been a Superman fan since birth
- I love going to/watching movies
- I’m a cereal addict, I LOVE CEREAL (I eat 3 to 5 bowls a night)
- I love cookies
- I collect stuff (baseball cards, comics, bobble heads, etc)
- I love eating out at new restaurants
- I love date nights with my woman :)
- I love spending time with my family
HERE’S HOW TO TURN THE ABOVE INFORMATION INTO GIFT IDEAS:
- Born in Long Beach, CA – maybe a cool little Long Beach sticker, “Born in the LBC” framed, anything Long Beach oriented.
- I’m a runner – running gear, new shoes, running jacket, etc.
- I’m a diehard Dodgers fan – anything Dodgers
- I’m a diehard Lakers fan – anything Lakers
- Music is my passion, I love going to live shows and discovering new music – tickets to an upcoming concert, iTunes gift card, Google Play gift card
- I’ve been a Superman fan since birth – anything Superman
- I love going to/watching movies – movie passes to your local movie theater, wrap popcorn with the tickets (that would be cute.)
- I’m a cereal addict, I LOVE CEREAL (I eat 3 to 5 bowls a night) – wrap 5 boxes of his favorite cereal.
- I love cookies – wrap a few boxes/bags of his favorite cookies OR make a little “I’ll make your favorite cookies” coupon to redeem.
- I collect stuff (baseball cards, comics, bobble heads, etc) – stuff his stocking with this stuff!
- I love eating out at new restaurants – gift cards to his favorite restaurants or maybe a new one he’s never tried.
- I love date nights with my woman :) – plan a date night, wrap a few things in a box describing where you will be going and what you’ll be doing.
- I love spending time with my family – plan a fun family afternoon, night out, or vacation and do exactly what I mentioned above.
NOW, your man and I are probably very different, BUT I know he has a list of things that represents who he is, and what he enjoys. Think about those things and be creative. Creative gifts are the best and mean the most.
I hope you’ve enjoyed some of my suggestions. Give some thought to the above 6 categories and you will be headed in the right direction. Remember to K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid – no offense!) Your man is simple. Simple and practical gifts will make him happiest. Trust me! Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!