For my birthday a couple of months ago, my big sis bought me a steam mop! Cool huh? I’ve always wanted one and even though I was lucky enough to receive an Oreck Grab-It & Steam-It™ from the Oreck people back in January when I did a giveaway on my website…there was a bit of a mishap involved with that one that I prefer to not go into.
OK….stop hounding me! I’ll tell you. ;-) But I’m only doing this as yet another “cautionary tale” from the Jillee Blooper File. It’s actually one of the most bizarre things that’s ever happened to me….lol.
Moral of the story: always follow manufacturers instructions. Period. (Oh, and I would appreciate it if no one breathes a word of this to Oreck! It’s quite embarrassing…which sometimes I think should be my middle name!) lol
So, once again I found myself without a steam mop. :-( But luckily my birthday was right around the corner and big sis took pity on me and sent this cute Haan to my door. (Thanks again Rebecca of Camp Wander!)
Have LOVED this mop! It’s throws out tons of steam and it heats up super fast! However, was NOT in love with the pad that came with it. Which is kind of important in a steam mop. It was stiff and considering it was made of microfiber…it wasn’t all that absorbent (that’s probably why they make microfiber couches out of it!)
Maybe I ask too much of a steam mop….but as the pad became wetter and dirtier it started just pushing the dirt and water around, instead of ABSORBING it. I would clean the floor and think it looked good, then when it dried I would see streaks of dirt that had been left behind! I am not just mopping for the fun of it people! I want better results than that! :-)
Overall I was a little irritated…but figured I could just shop around online and find a different steam mop pad (or cover) that I would like better. WRONG. I searched my little heart out, until my fingers were bruised and bloody, and NOTHING. There are ZILLIONS of Swiffer mop alternatives out there (including some really ingenious ones!) but alas, none that I could make work for my steam mop.
So I was on my own. I had to put my D.I.Y. thinking cap on and get CREATIVE! Which, unfortunately, is not my strong suit, as witnessed by my FIRST FAILED ATTEMPT.
The IDEA was to create a thicker, more absorbent pad using a microfiber car drying towel I found in the automotive section of Walmart. The original pad was attached to the bottom of the mop via heavy duty velcro. So working on THAT premise I made a four-layer pad, sewed the edges and sewed several seams in the center of the pad to keep the whole thing together. Then I attached velcro strips (the sticky backed kind which I ALSO sewed on as well, just to make sure it wouldn’t come off when it came in contact with the steam.)
I slapped that baby on and started mopping. Within 5 seconds the whole pad had crumbled underneath the mop. :-/ I guess there was a REASON the original mop pad was so STIFF! No problem. I can handle this. I just did what MacGyver would do (or maybe the Beverly Hillbillies) and I tied that sucker on REAL GOOD with some cotton twine. And it worked….sort of. It definitely soaked up water and dirt better than the original…but the whole attachment system just wasn’t practical….to say the least.
Round One goes to the steam mop people and their darned proprietary cleaning pad!
But, I wasn’t about to throw in the microfiber towel just yet! I mulled the idea over in my head for a few more days and made another visit to the automotive section for inspiration…and there it was! Hanging right next to the microfiber drying towel I had originally purchased! A car wash MITT! Bingo!
Acting on a total hunch…I grabbed two, brought them home and proceeded to dismantle them with my seam ripper. To be honest, at this point I only had a vague idea of where I was going with this idea….but I just kept going. Very similar to how I live my life…for the most part. :-)
I’m not well versed in the art of sewing tutorials (I’m a very BASIC sewer myself), but here is the GIST of what I ended up doing.
Took the two mitts apart, sewed them together to make one BIG piece of car wash mitt material, sewed the two elastic wristband pieces together in a circle, attached the elastic to the perimeter of the material (LOTS of stretching and manipulating to accomplish THAT! But I impressed myself with an unusual amount of patience.) I found the trick to be anchoring the four sides first, then working in small sections, moving from one side to the other, and back again, until every bit of elastic was stretched and sewn to every bit of material. (Re-reading this I realize that description leaves a lot to be desired….if you have questions…please feel free to ask!
And there you have it! A D.I.Y steam mop pad that is a vast improvement over the original one. Not only did it stay on PERFECTLY….it thirstily soaked up all the steam and dirt I threw at it. The last picture is an AFTER shot. Doesn’t it look like it could go another round or two!?!? I couldn’t have been happier with the outcome of this one.
I finally have the steam mop of my dreams. ;-)
Gave the new steam mop cover a THOROUGH workout tonight…and am SO happy with the results! Thought I would update this post and let you know what tweaks I made to my “system”.
1. Filled kitchen sink with HOT water and tiny bit of dishwashing liquid and a splash of ammonia. Soaked the mop pad, wrung it out, and attached to steamer.
2. Filled a squirt bottle 1/2 full with ammonia. Squirted a small amount of ammonia on each section of floor I ran the steam mop over. I ended up using MAYBE 1/2 a cup of ammonia to finish my whole kitchen, dining and laundry room area. (If you have an objection to ammonia….vinegar would be a good substitute. Next time I think I will try some of my Citrus Enzyme Cleaner.)
3. My floor has never been cleaner! :-)
CategoriesCrafts & DIY Projects