Millions of people suffer from foot odor, a smelly combination of perspiration and bacteria, so if you are suffering….you are not alone! Fortunately, my boys don’t have much of a “stinky feet problem,” but I’ve had quite a few people email asking for a solution to the smelly pile of shoes in the entryway.
If you have foot odor, don’t worry – these tips and tricks will keep your feet and your shoes smelling clean and fresh every day!
- My first solution is this simple DIY odor absorber made from some old nylons filled with baking soda and essential oils. Baking soda is great for absorbing smells, and the oils add a nice scent along with some antibacterial properties. Learn how to make them here.
- If you don’t feel like making your own “odor absorbers,” just sprinkle about 1 Tablespoon of baking soda right into your shoes, let it sit overnight, and dump out the baking soda in the morning.
- Coffee grounds are another excellent way to absorb odors! Instead of throwing out your used coffee grounds, leave them out to dry and then sprinkle into your shoes. Let them sit overnight and in the morning shake the grounds out over a trashcan. Check out even more ways to recycle coffee grounds.
- Stuffing your shoes with newspaper will absorb moisture, leaving your shoes dry. This is a great trick if your only problem is moisture, but if your shoes still smell in the morning, try one of the other solutions to absorb the odor.
- Try to alternate shoes on a daily basis so that you don’t wear the same pair two days in a row. Loosen the laces and pull up the tongue on the pair you’re not wearing, and let them dry out in the sunshine.
- If it’s your feet and not your shoes that are a problem, try this foot soak! I first tried this foot soak to soften my dry, cracked heels; but one of the ingredients is white vinegar, which is amazing when it comes to eliminating odors! Soak your feet a few times a week for 10-15 minutes. Your feet will smell great and you’ll have super soft heels. :-)
- This is another solution that was intended for cracked heels, but the lemon kills any bacteria that causes odor in the first place! Follow it up with some coconut oil, which is also antibacterial, for soft and beautiful feet!
- The epsom salts in this foot soak actually draw out toxins, so you get the benefits of a detox with just a foot soak! You’ll be left feeling relaxed, pampered, and your feet will be free of impurities that cause odors. Check out the recipe for the foot soak here.
- Buy socks that are 100% cotton or wool. Synthetic materials don’t allow your feet to breathe, causing them to sweat and stink! Always wear a fresh pair of socks everyday.
- Choose sandals whenever possible, because they allow air onto the feet, which helps evaporate sweat and slows the growth of odor-causing bacteria. If sandals aren’t an option, choose shoes made of natural materials, like leather or canvas, which allow your feet to breathe and dry out.
- Avoid strong-flavored foods such as garlic, onions, scallions, and peppers, because the substances that give them their powerful flavor and aroma can pass through the bloodstream and eventually concentrate in your sweat.
- Stress and anxiety increase production of sweat, giving bacteria even more to feed on. So stay calm and consider meditation. You can learn about the benefits of meditation and how to get started here. :-)
- Then there’s MY favorite cure for smelly feet – just GO BAREFOOT! Growing up in Southern California I was almost always barefoot, much to my mother’s chagrin! But I never had stinky feet….and you can’t argue with that. :-)
Do you have a solution for stinky feet?