I think most of us know the things we need to AVOID to protect our skin from premature aging….avoid the sun, don’t smoke, don’t drink, etc. But do you know what you need to proactively DO? I admit I wasn’t quite sure what I should be doing to keep my skin looking its best. So I started looking into it. Here are the top 4 things you can do for your skin to prevent premature aging:
MY LATEST VIDEOS
Eat a balanced diet. Antioxidant-rich foods like spinach, tomatoes, blueberries, salmon and nuts have a protective effect for the skin. On the flip side, a diet high in processed or refined carbohydrates and unhealthy fats promotes skin aging.
Manage stress. Uncontrolled stress can make your skin more sensitive and trigger skin problems. Take steps to manage your stress such as scaling back your to-do list and making time to do things you enjoy.
And the most IMPORTANT thing you can do for your skin to prevent premature aging is develop good skin care habits. A daily routine is essential for healthier, younger-looking skin.
Here is my Ultimate Anti-Aging Skin Care Routine:
In the morning:
1. Wash your face. Use a non-soap cleanser and warm water to remove dirt and oil.
2. Use an eye cream. The area around your eyes is the first place to show visible signs of aging. The skin here tends to be thinner, drier and more sensitive.
3. Moisturize. Each time you wash your face, you remove some of its natural moisture. Keeping your skin hydrated reduces the appearance of fine lines, and controls oil production. Make sure your moisturizer contains SPF.
1. Wash and exfoliate. Again, with a gentle cleanser, and then once a week, switch to an exfoliating cleanser that removes dead skin cells that build up.
2. Use an eye cream. Apply the same eye cream you used in the AM.
3. Smooth on serum. Serums have a higher concentration of active ingredients and penetrate deeper to help repair your skin. Serums are lightweight, super-hydrating and typically won’t clog pores.