Do you suffer from cold feet? Not the kind that keeps you from making a speech in public, I mean LITERAL cold feet! Cold hands and feet are a common complaint during these dog days of winter as your body tries to keep itself warm by diverting blood from your extremities to your more vital core organs.
This time of year we all need a bit of extra help to keep hands and feet warm. Here are a few quick, natural ways to heat them up!
- Switch To Decaf – Caffeine constricts blood vessels and makes the heart work harder to pump the blood into already narrowed blood vessels. This can cause cold extremities. Might be time to switch to decaf.
- Breathe Deep – People with cold hands tend to breathe shallow. The more deeply you breathe, the more oxygen you bring into your system. The more oxygen you receive, the warmer you will be.
- Pop Peppers – Eating hot peppers, which contain the compound capsaicin, fools the nervous system into thinking you’ve been injured and sends pain signals that register as heat, even though there’s no actual rise in temperature.
- Fish Oil – Up your intake of omega-3 fatty acids, found in foods like fish, olive oil, avocado, nuts, and flax seeds, which promote healthy circulation, or take fish oil supplements.
- Be A Windmill – Swinging your arms briskly in 360-degree circles for a minute or two helps drive blood into the fingers. Just remember to keep the elbow, fingers and wrist straight.
- Check Your Meds – Chilly hands and feet can also be a side effect of some drugs, including some over-the-counter cold remedies.
Pamper your feet!
When all else fails (or even just because you deserve some pampering!) treat your cold tootsies to this luxurious foot mask that combines circulation boosting spices, skin soothing ingredients, and invigorating essential oils.
Oatmeal Spice Foot Mask
Adapted from WholeLiving.com
- 1/2 cup whole oats
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 8 drops ginger essential oil
- 8 drops sweet orange essential oil
How to use:
Grind the oats to a fine powder in your blender or food processor.
Transfer to a medium bowl and add the remaining ingredients.
Stir until blended into a thick paste.
Take two washcloths or hand towels and either soak them in very hot water, or get them wet and place them in the microwave for a minute or two. Wring out excess water and set aside.
Place your feet in a shallow basin that is big enough to place both feet. Slather each foot with a thick layer of the mask, covering them completely.
Wipe hands clean and then wrap each foot in one of the washcloths. Sit back and relax for 10 to 15 minutes.
When you’re ready to remove the mask, carefully lift off the washcloths. Rinse your feet thoroughly with warm water. Towel dry.
Enjoy your warm, soft, and happy feet! :-)
Note: you can also use this for cold hands, but you will most likely need help from a friend. :-)