Thursday, November 3, 2011

Make Your Own Scented Linen Spray

Linen Spray

Ever since my family and I have started discovering the beauty and benefits of essential oils…I’ve been a bit obsessed with making my own products using them. Mostly I have dabbled in cleaning products…but tonight as I was folding some bedding I’d just washed, I got to thinking about trying my hand at making my own “Linen Water” (which is a fancy way of saying….scented spray for sheets and laundry.)

lothantique

I looked around online for some purchasing options and had to laugh a little at what I found. How about this lovely bottle of “Lothantique Linen Water” for $26.00!! Well, it IS a lovely bottle with an equally lovely label! I’ll give them that much. But come on….really?  $26.00??

I think we can do better than that. ;-)

Linen Spray

What we are going to need is:

1 tsp. lavender essential oil (or your favorite scent)
1/4 cup unflavored vodka (I had isopropyl alcohol on hand so that’s what I used)
3 1/2 cups distilled water

Directions:
1. Mix the vodka and your choice of essential oil in the bottle (I love lavender!)
2. Then, add distilled water to the bottle until it is almost full.
3. Screw on the cap and shake the bottle to disperse the oils evenly throughout.
4. Shake lightly before each use. Use a bottle that has a fine mist to ensure proper dispersion of the spray.
(For an alcohol-free mixture omit the vodka, but make sure to shake rigorously before spraying, since the oil and water will separate.)

Now go spray everything in the house from the curtains to bed pillows to the towels in the bathroom! The great thing about this spray is its’ subtle perfume that doesn’t overpower you, no matter how much or how many places you spritz it.

Linen Spray

Some OTHER ideas for using your lovely Lavender water around the house include:

• When washing bedding and linens, add some lavender water to the rinse cycle. Your bedding will have a light lavender scent (lavender helps those with sleep problems).
  • Use when ironing, spritz a bit of the lavender water on the items being ironed. Will add a nice lavender scent to the garment.
  • Lavender water can also be used as a beauty aid, try it as a skin freshener on hot summer days, a hair rinse, splash in the bath or dab around temples for headache relief.
  • Insect repellent, try it for mosquito repellent use as well as a mosquito bite itch helper. Lavender deters flies and other insects too.

Never miss a good thing!
Receive a daily dose of Jillee + bonus newsletters.

31 thoughts on “Make Your Own Scented Linen Spray

1. Anonymous

if you're looking for more essential oils that smell great (trust me, most of them smell weird or too hippie, esp when you're at the health food store), Aveda makes several that smell amazing. I work for an Aveda salon so I can order them, although my salon doesn't carry them on the shelf. Some salons do, some do not, so you just have to look around. Some of my favorites are the Chakra oils (I like the balancing one "#7"), and also other favorites are Infinity Nature #5 (Smells like Aveda's Brilliant line) and Air Nature #6 (smells like Aveda's Shampure). Hope this is helpful! I look forward to using your recipe to spray all of my things around the house :)

2. Jill Nystul

Oooo….the Aveda oils sound WONDERFUL! I LOVE the smell of Aveda products! I suppose they are only available through a salon? Must investigate further……
    thanks! :-)

3. Nancy Wilkes

Jillee! I really want to make my own linen spray, but can’t find any bottles, or containers ANYWHERE that are special enough to be gift-worthy. I’m almost tempted to buy the $26 linen bottle, just to have the BOTTLE. I’ve checked everywhere online, Goodwill, Pottery Barn, etc. Help!

1. Amber

For pretty bottles, don’t look around for places to buy just a bottle. Go to the grocery store! You can probably find some lovely shapes and sizes for what you need, full of something you would like to drink, for way less money.
      Organic apple juice comes in a vintage looking glass jug, and you can make some delicious hot spiced cider or just drink the apple juice!
      I also like to use orange essential oil and vanilla extract as a perfume. Subtle and safe!

4. Elaine

I love this tutorial for making linen spray. Do you think you could blog about making linen packets? I ave old dressers i want to use but want an easy way to refresh them! :)

5. Michaela

I love this idea. I’m curious, though, if there’s a way to do it without the Vodka? As a recovering alcoholic, I just can’t see buying or working with the stuff. Could you use ethyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) from the drug store?

1. Rick

I used regular rubbing alcohol and it works just the same :) The alcohol (vodka or otherwise) is just used as a drying agent. It does not affect the smell at all.

6. Lisa

What size bottle should be used? The instructions say fill the bottle after mixing the essential oil and vodka but doesn’t say the size bottle that should be used? How many ounces does this make?
    Thanks.

7. Shana Z.

I have made body mists in almost the same fashion. One little switch: I mix my vodka and oil(s) together in an old water bottle. I let them sit and ‘marinate’ for a week or so to really infuse the vodka and break down the oils, then I added them to purified water in a spray bottle. (and a couple drops of glycerin to make it ‘stick’ to the skin) If you’re patient enough to let your oils sit in the vodka a week you might not have to shake them up before use and the fragrance might be better.

8. Pingback: 7 Ways to Make the Mundane Marvelous | Blair Blogs

9. Nadine

I had to do some math to figure this one out for a 500ml spray bottle I had. I ended ip with 435ml of water, 1/8 cup of vodka and 40 drops of lavender. I can tell you like lavender, as this ratio is a little strong for me.

10. Sherryl

A little late to this party, but hoping someone can answer. Shouldn’t you use a colored bottle so the oils don’t lose their scent? Or is that just to preserve their effectiveness as medicinals/cleaning agents?

I just wouldn’t want to do up a whole batch and waste most of it.

11. Paula

I don’t know if this will be helpful or not, as everyone is different – but my son and daughter are both autistic, and lavender is a very irritating smell to them. I use sandalwood instead – they both find it very soothing. (It took us a LONG time to figure this out – I was spraying their pillows with lavender, hoping it would help them sleep – it was doing just the opposite!

12. Shirls

Hi Jillee, I was going to email you about how to make a room spray but tried your search engine first and got led to this great article – thanks so much. I’m longing to have a go at it in the morning! I love the scent of lavender. I bought some essential oils a few weeks ago after I read your article and lavender was among them. I also bought lemon but was disappointed with the scent of that. It just doesn’t smell very lemony.

13. Pingback: Caramel Corn Crunch: Serving up a Little Domestic Bliss with Popcorn – Popcorn Blog

14. Pingback: DIY Scented Linen Spray | Do It And How

15. Pingback: Scent your Linens with Sweet Aromas

16. Kaloni

Love this! I tried it tonight and already know I will no longer be buying febreeze. And just FYI the little bottles of vodka you can buy at the liquor store nips exactly 1/4 cup. So if you don’t drink it regularly there is no need to buy the big bottle! It was .99 at my store.

17. Pingback: Freebie Friday: Lavender Linen Spray Label