Make Your Own Petroleum {FREE} Jelly

My lips and face and hands are SO happy!! Why???? Because they have been missing their “friend” Vaseline! Ever since learning about the dangers of Petroleum Jelly from Dr. Oz, the Vaseline in my bathroom went bye-bye:

Petroleum jelly is a byproduct of oil drilling, and when you spread it on your lips, you end up eating it, which is essentially the same as drinking gasoline. Add up the amount of lip-gloss the average woman uses (and consumes) over a decade, and it equals 7 pounds. The European Union has banned many petroleum jelly products, and experts are concerned they could be linked to cancer. Women with breast cancer have twice the levels of hydrocarbons (substances found in petroleum jelly) in their breasts than women who haven’t had breast cancer. Steer clear of any products that list petroleum jelly or mineral oil on the ingredient list.     ~~~Dr. Oz

Yikes! Scary stuff.

As is often the case with me, I didn’t even think about a substitute for my “former trusted friend” Vaseline. I just figured my lips, face and hands were out of luck. Then tonight, by total accident, I stumbled onto A Delightful Home and her post about How to Make Non-Petroleum Jelly.  Bingo!  I literally made a BEELINE to my stash of BEESWAX! :-) I mean the “recipe” could NOT be easier to make! From start to finish, even with snapping pictures along the way, I don’t think it took longer than 5 minutes. The cooling and hardening phase took a LITTLE longer….but not much after I put it by an open window (it’s still pretty chilly here at night!)

And as soon as that baby was ready….I was digging into it!  First I slathered my poor knuckles. They are so dry they are cracking, and unfortunately even my Simple Moisturizing Lotion (which everyone in this household LOVES!) wasn’t cutting it.

Then I gave my forever chapped lips a good slathering as well. See?  Don’t they look NICE??? ;-)

haha.  I wish.  Here are my real lips…not nearly as pretty….but just as HAPPY (and shiny)!   :-)

So, if your lips, face or hands have been missing the uber moisturizing feel of Vaseline…Run, Don’t Walk to your kitchen and MAKE THIS!

Homemade Non-Petroleum Jelly (aka DIY “Vaseline”)

Ingredients

1/8 cup grated beeswax (about 1 ounce)  I used beeswax pellets that I had ordered off Amazon awhile ago.
1/2 cup olive oil

Method
Combine beeswax and oil in a small saucepan. Melt over very low heat or in the top of a double boiler. Pour into a jar to cool.

Beeswax pellets I bought in bulk off of Amazon.com

I used extra virgin olive oil that I use for everyday cooking.

I didn’t use a double boiler….but I melted the beeswax into the olive oil at a VERY LOW TEMPERATURE.

Even at that LOW temp….it melted together VERY quickly!

Then I poured it into a 1/2 pint mason jar and set it on the window ledge in the kitchen with the window cracked open. It hardened up within 30 minutes.

Share on Facebook1,650Tweet about this on Twitter22Pin on Pinterest13,606Google+12

Comments

1. Jaymie Derden says

Wonder if coconut oil could replace the olive oil? This sounds great and I definitely am going to try it!

• Penny Hannah says

Don’t see why coconut oil shouldn’t work – you’d just end up with a harder [denser?] end product surely. Coconut oill was my first thought too.

• Jillee says

I agree with Penny. I’m sure coconut oil would work as well. Let us know how it goes! :-)

• Jen says

Coconut Oil works awesome and it comes out a touch more solid and less greasy feeling in my opinion! I also added some peppermint essential oil for it smelled good.

• Rachel says

I’ve been wanting to make my own lip gloss but all the recipes I found called for petroleum jelly, which kinda defeats the purpose of making my own….since I want to color them I think I’m going to use white beeswax and maybe try grapeseed oil or castor oil so it isn’t yellowish. :)

• crazywoman/Billie says

Yes, or at least for 1/2 of it.
      I have a recipe for a healing salve (I see other posts talking about doing similar) that uses 1/2 coconut oil & 1/2 olive oil (tho I add a combo of good for your skin oils in mine) and different essential healing oils.
      It comes out very much like “vaseline”.
      Basically the same recipe as this except for the 1/2 coconut oil & 1/2 olive oil, and then the added Essential oils.

I was gonna post that, but saw your question and decided to do it here.

It is a great salve by the way.

As for it being a harder end product (re penny’s reply), surprisingly, it is very salve like. (Using only 1/2 CO!) My house is quite cool (especialyl some rooms I have the salve in), and it stays salve consistency. (again this is 1/2 CO & 1/2 olive oil)
      Sorry about the redundancy.

• crazywoman/Billie says

I just realized that I got the recipe I mentioned above at Jill’s sister, Rebecca’s blog site! lol

Coconut oil works well with beeswax. You need to remember though, that coconut oil has a melting point of 76 degrees, so it is solid at room temperature. Therefore you don’t need to use near as much wax (if any at all) I cut the amount of wax at least in half.

Very nice! I saw a jar at Whole Foods the other and was tempted to buy and try it…to the tune of $10. So happy I walked away from THAT purchase. Now I’ll make my own, thank you very much!

Mmmmm! That sounds perfect! I love the coconut oil alternative. I might add a drop of my favorite essential oil…maybe some peppermint or lavender or wild orange? My mother in law has pecome allergic to petroleum and most man made things…she can’t seem to go anywhere or use anything but natural ingredients. This is looking like a perfect homemade mothers day gift!

4. Vicki Walton says

Would you store it in the fridge so the olive oil doesn’t go rancid? Or do you use it up so quickly it wouldn’t matter?

5. Erica says

Hi Jillee, I became a fan of your blog through Pinterest and now I never miss a new post. I had a tip I’d like to share after seeing your extra homemade Shout in a spaghetti jar. If you want to disguise the fact that it’s a spaghetti sauce jar, just get some sand paper and sand the lid. I did it to an applesauce jar lid and it just gets this cool brushed metallic look (way less tacky!). If you’re really ambitious, you could paint it (but I was pleased with the metallic look). My applesauce jar now holds dog treats on display on top of my dog crate end table (that’s right–a space-saving dog crate that doubles as an end table). If you’re interested, this is where we got the idea for the crate: http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-to/intro/0,,20387918,00.html. My hubby did a great job simplifying it and it only cost us around $200 for everything plus it’s way more solid than anything you’d find in a store (and we didn’t use $100 decorative heat grates either).

6. Jennifer says

I’m interested in using this as a lip balm. Any suggestions for ingredients to tint it?

I make this all the time and LOVE it! Sometimes I pierce a few vitamin E capsules and add that in at the end.

Jody

8. Blue Strong says

Jillee! How I enjoy your potions and recipes and everything else! Just wanted to tell you thanks for making my life better and more interesting!

9. PS says

Any difference if you use white beeswax pellets instead of yellow? Love your blog – keep ‘em coming!!!

This is great! Adding my vote for the addition of coconut oil as well. I will offload some into a little pill box to carry as lipgloss. Thank you, as always!