Make Your Own Petroleum {FREE} Jelly

My lips and face and hands are SO happy!! Why???? Because they have been missing their “friend” Vaseline! Ever since learning about the dangers of Petroleum Jelly from Dr. Oz, the Vaseline in my bathroom went bye-bye:

Petroleum jelly is a byproduct of oil drilling, and when you spread it on your lips, you end up eating it, which is essentially the same as drinking gasoline. Add up the amount of lip-gloss the average woman uses (and consumes) over a decade, and it equals 7 pounds. The European Union has banned many petroleum jelly products, and experts are concerned they could be linked to cancer. Women with breast cancer have twice the levels of hydrocarbons (substances found in petroleum jelly) in their breasts than women who haven’t had breast cancer. Steer clear of any products that list petroleum jelly or mineral oil on the ingredient list.     ~~~Dr. Oz

Yikes! Scary stuff.

As is often the case with me, I didn’t even think about a substitute for my “former trusted friend” Vaseline. I just figured my lips, face and hands were out of luck. Then tonight, by total accident, I stumbled onto A Delightful Home and her post about How to Make Non-Petroleum Jelly.  Bingo!  I literally made a BEELINE to my stash of BEESWAX! :-) I mean the “recipe” could NOT be easier to make! From start to finish, even with snapping pictures along the way, I don’t think it took longer than 5 minutes. The cooling and hardening phase took a LITTLE longer….but not much after I put it by an open window (it’s still pretty chilly here at night!)

And as soon as that baby was ready….I was digging into it!  First I slathered my poor knuckles. They are so dry they are cracking, and unfortunately even my Simple Moisturizing Lotion (which everyone in this household LOVES!) wasn’t cutting it.

Then I gave my forever chapped lips a good slathering as well. See?  Don’t they look NICE??? ;-)

haha.  I wish.  Here are my real lips…not nearly as pretty….but just as HAPPY (and shiny)!   :-)

So, if your lips, face or hands have been missing the uber moisturizing feel of Vaseline…Run, Don’t Walk to your kitchen and MAKE THIS!

Homemade Non-Petroleum Jelly (aka DIY “Vaseline”)

Ingredients

1/8 cup grated beeswax (about 1 ounce)  I used beeswax pellets that I had ordered off Amazon awhile ago.
1/2 cup olive oil

Method
Combine beeswax and oil in a small saucepan. Melt over very low heat or in the top of a double boiler. Pour into a jar to cool.

Beeswax pellets I bought in bulk off of Amazon.com

I used extra virgin olive oil that I use for everyday cooking.

I didn’t use a double boiler….but I melted the beeswax into the olive oil at a VERY LOW TEMPERATURE.

Even at that LOW temp….it melted together VERY quickly!

Then I poured it into a 1/2 pint mason jar and set it on the window ledge in the kitchen with the window cracked open. It hardened up within 30 minutes.

Share on Facebook1,648Tweet about this on Twitter22Pin on Pinterest13,584Google+11

Comments

1. Jaymie Derden says

Wonder if coconut oil could replace the olive oil? This sounds great and I definitely am going to try it!

2. Penny Hannah says

Don’t see why coconut oil shouldn’t work – you’d just end up with a harder [denser?] end product surely. Coconut oill was my first thought too.

3. Jillee says

I agree with Penny. I’m sure coconut oil would work as well. Let us know how it goes! :-)

Very nice! I saw a jar at Whole Foods the other and was tempted to buy and try it…to the tune of $10. So happy I walked away from THAT purchase. Now I’ll make my own, thank you very much!

Mmmmm! That sounds perfect! I love the coconut oil alternative. I might add a drop of my favorite essential oil…maybe some peppermint or lavender or wild orange? My mother in law has pecome allergic to petroleum and most man made things…she can’t seem to go anywhere or use anything but natural ingredients. This is looking like a perfect homemade mothers day gift!

6. Vicki Walton says

Would you store it in the fridge so the olive oil doesn’t go rancid? Or do you use it up so quickly it wouldn’t matter?

7. Erica says

Hi Jillee, I became a fan of your blog through Pinterest and now I never miss a new post. I had a tip I’d like to share after seeing your extra homemade Shout in a spaghetti jar. If you want to disguise the fact that it’s a spaghetti sauce jar, just get some sand paper and sand the lid. I did it to an applesauce jar lid and it just gets this cool brushed metallic look (way less tacky!). If you’re really ambitious, you could paint it (but I was pleased with the metallic look). My applesauce jar now holds dog treats on display on top of my dog crate end table (that’s right–a space-saving dog crate that doubles as an end table). If you’re interested, this is where we got the idea for the crate: http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-to/intro/0,,20387918,00.html. My hubby did a great job simplifying it and it only cost us around $200 for everything plus it’s way more solid than anything you’d find in a store (and we didn’t use $100 decorative heat grates either).

8. Jennifer says

I’m interested in using this as a lip balm. Any suggestions for ingredients to tint it?

I make this all the time and LOVE it! Sometimes I pierce a few vitamin E capsules and add that in at the end.

Jody

10. Blue Strong says

Jillee! How I enjoy your potions and recipes and everything else! Just wanted to tell you thanks for making my life better and more interesting!