Homemade Honey Butter Ambrosia!

honey butter ambrosiaI have been struggling with what to call this recipe ever since I ran across it on Pinterest.

It happened to be one of those pins that doesn’t actually lead to a blog or website, but just a picture uploaded by an individual. It was just a casual snapshot…a little out of focus, poor lighting….but it was the DESCRIPTION that grabbed me and pulled me in!

“My Mom’s recipe. My gift for neighbors this year. 1 cup honey, 1 cup cream, 1 cup sugar. bring to boil and boil for 1 minute. Pour over 3 sticks of butter, in the blender and blend. Pour into jars, refrigerate. Serve on toast, bread, or just warm it up and get a straw! Yes, it is THAT yummy!”

Sounded “THAT yummy!” to me too! I couldn’t wait to make it….so I didn’t. I usually try to take pictures during the day when the lighting is better….but this just couldn’t wait! Especially after yesterday’s “bread in a cup” post…I thought this was the perfect follow-up/companion recipe!

But I still couldn’t come up with a name for this concoction that would do it justice until I tasted it! The first thing that popped into my head was “Nectar Of The Gods”….but I felt like that might be a bit over the top. :-)  I settled on “Honey Butter Ambrosia”, because it tastes sooooooooo good and it’s this beautiful, mellow color, and….I don’t know…Ambrosia just sounded perfect to me. :-)  (But you can call it anything you want.)

Whatever you call it, this is how you make the heavenly stuff:

honey butter ambrosiaHoney Butter Ambrosia

Adapted from Anonymous Pin

Ingredients

1 cup sugar
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup honey
3 sticks butter (or 3/4 lb), softened
1 tsp vanilla (this was a last minute addition…so it’s not in the picture)

Instructions

In a sauce pan combine sugar, cream and honey. Heat on medium high heat and stir until it comes to a boil. Boil for 1 minute.
Put the softened butter in a blender or food processor, and pour the hot mixture over the butter. Blend on medium speed until mixed well. Add vanilla, and blend again. Pour mixture into a container, cover and let cool in the refrigerator. Keep refrigerated.
Serve on warm bread, toast, oatmeal, pancakes….my imagination is running wild!

Or, like the original pinner said (bless her heart) “just warm it up and get a straw!”

honey butter ambrosia

The recipe made almost exactly the right amount to fill two pint-sized mason jars. There was about 1/4 cup left over so I put it in a small bowl and put it in the fridge.  Just as soon as it was cool enough, I made some toast (Oh how I wished I had some English Muffin Bread to put it on!) and spooned on a generous helping.  Wow. Like I said…..heavenly!

honey butter ambrosia

The original pinner also said she was going to be giving this as a neighbor gift this Christmas. I thought this was a wonderful idea so I made up a few little tags that I’m going to use and thought I might as well share them with you as well. :-)  You can download them here if you are interested. There are two sizes for bigger or smaller jars….depending on how generous you are feeling. ;-)

honey butter ambrosia

So what would YOU put this buttery deliciousness on?

Share on Facebook604Tweet about this on Twitter15Pin on Pinterest45,453Google+4

Comments

1. jamie lynn says

this sounds delicious! how long do you think it would keep in the fridge? and could you freeze it? i’m thinking of making some smaller batches for xmas!! awesome idea!!

• Rhonda says

It lasted exactly 3 days in my fridge before my son and husband cleaned the 1st jar, (made a 2 weeks before Christmas for all our friends), and now almost a month on the second jar, the hubby had some this morning and said it was delish! Made french toast with cinnamon swirl bread for Christmas morning and served this on it, what a treat!!

How long does a jar last as in consume by
        if i was to make them and sell them could i give an indication as to how long it will last unopened and once opened but left in the fridge

• Shirley Coleman says

You answered my question before I ask it. Could this be frozen? I live alone and even one jar would take me awhile to consume. I will put it in four small jars and freeze three. Can’t wait to make it. It sounds wonderful. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

2. Jennifer says

“So what would YOU put this buttery deliciousness on?”

The first thing that came to mind is- My hips! This looks delicious, but it is definitely NOT a low calorie (or fat) food. I have no guilt however, giving it away to family and friends! ;)

• Karen D. says

Haha! That was my first thought too! At least that way you can just wash it off instead of working out for hours to burn it off. Who knows maybe it’s really good for your skin. :)

3. Michelle says

I must be crazy because I want to try it (in the summer) on fresh corn on the cob with salt! Of course, I am sure it would be awesome on a good biscuit as well!

4. Kat1957 says

Hi
    I like the idea. Just not sure why you need to add sugar to the honey? Any ideas?

Kathy
    San Miguel CA

• tbeth says

I’m not a chemist, but I suspect the sugar is there to give it the creamy, foamy-ish structure that honey can’t provide.

Def. trying this. I had to look up ambrosia because I thought it was a fruit salad….and it is, but the meaning is “Food of the Gods”. Sounds about right for this dish. :) Wonder how it would be in old fashioned oatmeal since I usually add sugar, butter, and milk.

Oh my goodness! YUMMMM! When I grew up there were 7 of us kids. I participated in all the after school sports. By the time I got home from sports programs, dinner was over, and there were no left overs. My dad always made home made buns (rolls). I just had those with honey and butter on them for dinner or a bowl of Cheerios (with a bunch of sugar LOL). And did my homework. I survived just fine. You just didn’t miss dinner back then. Not with 7 children in the family LOL.

There were 6 kids in our family Marcia…so I can completely relate. We called dinnertime…survival of the fittest! lol
      This is PERFECT for a late night snack on toast. I had it last night…and am having it again this morning!

7. kris says

when we were in N. Carolina I bought some pecan honey butter. This stuff is soooo good! It cost $7.99 maybe I can make my own now!!!

Ohhh Mmyyy Goosshhh!!
    I would put it on cinnamon buns, cupcakes, bananas, pancakes, waffles, I would put it on my mom and tell her to just eat it!!
    I would put it on an old boot and eat it.
    Oh this looks so good, I am going to make this, thanks Jillee.

9. Hazel says

I love that I (for once) had the ingredients on hand so I was able to make it right away, it is the food of the gods…. Been craving caramel apples so I tried it on apples and it is great (eating them as I write) I really enjoy the contrast of the sweet and buttery agains the sour crunch of the apple,,,,sooooo delicious, thank you Jillee, like always what a good thing