Simple Pan-Fried Pork {Loin} Chops & Smashed Potatoes

Pan-Fried Pork Chops

The other day when I was walking into the grocery store I was captivated by a case of meat that had been placed near the front door. In the case were large packages of pork loin that had been cut up into “chops”.  I had come to the store for something completely unrelated to meat, but when I saw these pork loin chops I was smitten. I had to take them home.

There was a slight problem when I got them home however…I had no idea what to do with them. I wanted to pan-fry them for a quick, tasty dinner, but they were way too fat for that…and I just didn’t want to take the time to bake them.

Pan-Fried Pork Chops 2

So I improvised. I got my trusty Santoku knife out (the sharpest one I own) and carefully sliced each one in half. Voila! Not only were they now the perfect thickness for pan-frying, I had twice as many of them! I cut up three and put the other three in the freezer for another meal.

I then proceeded to cook them like I usually do regular pork chops.

Pan-Fried Pork {Loin} Chops

First, rinse them under cold water and pat them dry. I hate handling slippery meat. ugh.

Put your frying pan (I use my cast iron pan that I have come to adore!) on medium heat and add enough oil to cover the bottle of the pan. About a quarter of a cup of oil depending on the size of your pan.

Pan-Fried Pork Chops

While the oil is heating, pour 1/2 to 1 cup of flour (I used Pamela’s gluten-free baking mix) onto a plate and sprinkle liberally with seasoning salt. (I would guess I use about a teaspoon of the seasoning salt when all is said and done.)

Most recipes for pan-fried pork chops call for first dipping in beaten egg, but I find that too messy and really don’t think it makes much difference in the final product, so I skip it.

Pan-Fried Pork Chops

Using a pair of tongs (you can use your hands if you want to, but why would you?) dredge each pork chop in the flour mixture. Making sure to thoroughly coat both sides and the edges.

Pan-Fried Pork Chops

When the oil is hot, place your chops in the pan. Remember, you don’t want to “crowd” them. (We learned about that in my 15 Common Cooking Mistakes post)! My pan will fit 3 nicely, so I cooked mine in two batches.

Pan-Fried Pork Chops

Cook for approximately 3 minutes on the first side. The edges of the chops will start to turn a nice, golden brown. Then turn them with the tongs and cook for approximately 3 more minutes.

Pan-Fried Pork Chops

Since they are thin, that should be plenty of time to cook them to a beautiful golden brown on the outside and just ever-so-slightly pink on the inside.  (If you have an instant read thermometer is should read 145 degrees.)

Smashed Potatoes

Smashed Potatoes

Smashed Potatoes

Smashed Potatoes

While I was cooking the chops I also boiled some potatoes with the skins on for my version of “smashed potatoes”. I usually use red potatoes for this dish, but since all I had were russets on hand, once again, I improvised. :-)

When they were fork-tender I drained them, rinsed them with cold water, and peeled off about 1/2 the skins just with my fingers. I threw them in a large bowl with 1 stick of butter cut up into cubes and about 1/2 cup of sour cream, and started “smashing”.

Pan-Fried Pork Chops

The side of “smashed potatoes” turned out to be the perfect complement to these family-pleasing chops! The only problem with this meal? I didn’t make enough chops for my meat-loving men! Next time I will need to make a 3rd batch. :-)

Share on Facebook11Tweet about this on Twitter4Pin on Pinterest1020Google+4

Comments

1. Meme says

Those chops look amazing around here I often get coupons off pork loin and quite frequently b1g1 free making it cheaper than real pork chops. However I never buy it because thats 4-6lbs of meat…its just my husband and I and I can’t eat pork due to stomach problems (too rich of a meat). I was always afraid of wasting the rest of the meat on the loin. Now I don’t have to I can just “chop” it up before freezing. Also what’s the difference between mashed and smashed potatoes?

2. LindaF says

I love this classic combination. Typically, I take the thicker chops and put them on my smoker griller (over coals). I also add a few cloves of raw garlic to the water when cooking the potatoes… adds a nice savory flavor!

3. Danielle says

I have a set of cast iron pans, but I’m so intimidated by them! Every time I use them the food burns…. Do you have any tips for using them?

On a different note- this meal looked really good. I’m going to have to try it!

4. Lauran says

These look great! I love my cast iron pans too! Danielle- Try turning the heat on your pan down. Cast iron holds heat very well. They take a bit longer to heat up but so worth it. It also adds iron to your food which is great for someone like me who is constantly fighting low iron.

5. Dawn says

I was just reading your recipe for the pan fried pork chops. You bought them up near the entrance in the supermarket. And then washed them when you got home because you don’t like working with slimey meat. I just thought I should point out that fresh raw meat is not slimey, – unless it is starting to spoil. Slimey, slippery film on the meat is one of the first signs that your meat is spoiling. Than it becomes a slightly thicker, sticky film on the meat. Even before it has changed smell or color. Just saying.

• Margaret says

These days the meat companies are injecting the meat with “broth” to make it weigh more. They say it’s for moistness but who do they think they are fooling. That broth is also on the outside of the meat and causes the slippery feeling even when they are fresh.

6. cty says

Looks great. Love your posts everything from the simple to the profound.
    In central NJ a popular item in the meat case was turkey “chops”. Turkey breasts cut thick like chops. We loved them. Funny, no one outside of central Jersey ever heard of them.
    Also a side of applesauce helps with the digestion of pork.

7. Rejena says

Mmmm. That’s one of my favorite dinners!! But being a true southerner, you HAVE to make pork chop gravy and smother the chops and potatoes with it! Pork chop gravy are three words that make me happy! :-)

8. Teresa says

Boneless pork loin is often on sale here whole and much cheaper than many other cuts of meat -, so versitile with little fat and no bone.
    My go to meat for large gatherings, church covered dish, or meal for family in need. Brown, put in crock pot or oven roaster, top with cream of celery soup, sliced mushrooms, onions, baby carrots.
    Can be slice thin, pounded and pan fried with “blackend” spices,
    Leftover roaster version can also be cut thin into strips with veggies, noodles for “pork lo mein”
    Chicken marsala=Pork Marsala

9. Gale says

I made these for dinner tonight with some thin sliced pork chops that I bought this weekend. They are a-ma-zing! My hubby wasn’t a huge fan, cuz he prefers them cooked on the grill, but my daughter and I liked them.

Funny…I always thought that the difference between smashed potatoes and mashed potatoes was that smashed potatoes still have the peel on, and mashed don’t. Anyways, mashed, smashed, or baked, I love eating the whole potato, including the peels. Guess I’m weird.

11. Paula says

I love using cast iron skillets for cooking. If you buy them preseasoned, all you need to do is wash with warm to hot water. Washing with detergent will remove the oils. Dry with a paper towel and apply a thin coat of oil to the inside of the pan. Mine stay pretty well seasoned unless someone else in the family washes one with soap/detergent.

12. Kim says

The dinner looks yummy! I have an iron skillet, (old one, given to me by a family member) I also have a glass top stove, I heard these two don’t go together.Anyone use iron skillet on glass top stove? Thank ladies!

13. DOREEN says

Thank you so much for this recipe and the great directions and photos. This is the first time I’ve ever cooked really good pork chops in my life. They came out great! So tasty and tender. I hadn’t planned to make gravy but did and it turned out perfect. I see that you have many other gluten free recipes and plan to check them out. You have certainly found your passion! Blessings!