Simple Pan-Fried Pork {Loin} Chops & Smashed Potatoes

Pan-Fried Pork Chops

The other day when I was walking into the grocery store I was captivated by a case of meat that had been placed near the front door. In the case were large packages of pork loin that had been cut up into “chops”.  I had come to the store for something completely unrelated to meat, but when I saw these pork loin chops I was smitten. I had to take them home.

There was a slight problem when I got them home however…I had no idea what to do with them. I wanted to pan-fry them for a quick, tasty dinner, but they were way too fat for that…and I just didn’t want to take the time to bake them.

Pan-Fried Pork Chops 2

So I improvised. I got my trusty Santoku knife out (the sharpest one I own) and carefully sliced each one in half. Voila! Not only were they now the perfect thickness for pan-frying, I had twice as many of them! I cut up three and put the other three in the freezer for another meal.

I then proceeded to cook them like I usually do regular pork chops.

Pan-Fried Pork {Loin} Chops

First, rinse them under cold water and pat them dry. I hate handling slippery meat. ugh.

Put your frying pan (I use my cast iron pan that I have come to adore!) on medium heat and add enough oil to cover the bottle of the pan. About a quarter of a cup of oil depending on the size of your pan.

Pan-Fried Pork Chops

While the oil is heating, pour 1/2 to 1 cup of flour (I used Pamela’s gluten-free baking mix) onto a plate and sprinkle liberally with seasoning salt. (I would guess I use about a teaspoon of the seasoning salt when all is said and done.)

Most recipes for pan-fried pork chops call for first dipping in beaten egg, but I find that too messy and really don’t think it makes much difference in the final product, so I skip it.

Pan-Fried Pork Chops

Using a pair of tongs (you can use your hands if you want to, but why would you?) dredge each pork chop in the flour mixture. Making sure to thoroughly coat both sides and the edges.

Pan-Fried Pork Chops

When the oil is hot, place your chops in the pan. Remember, you don’t want to “crowd” them. (We learned about that in my 15 Common Cooking Mistakes post)! My pan will fit 3 nicely, so I cooked mine in two batches.

Pan-Fried Pork Chops

Cook for approximately 3 minutes on the first side. The edges of the chops will start to turn a nice, golden brown. Then turn them with the tongs and cook for approximately 3 more minutes.

Pan-Fried Pork Chops

Since they are thin, that should be plenty of time to cook them to a beautiful golden brown on the outside and just ever-so-slightly pink on the inside.  (If you have an instant read thermometer is should read 145 degrees.)

Smashed Potatoes

Smashed Potatoes

Smashed Potatoes

Smashed Potatoes

While I was cooking the chops I also boiled some potatoes with the skins on for my version of “smashed potatoes”. I usually use red potatoes for this dish, but since all I had were russets on hand, once again, I improvised. :-)

When they were fork-tender I drained them, rinsed them with cold water, and peeled off about 1/2 the skins just with my fingers. I threw them in a large bowl with 1 stick of butter cut up into cubes and about 1/2 cup of sour cream, and started “smashing”.

Pan-Fried Pork Chops

The side of “smashed potatoes” turned out to be the perfect complement to these family-pleasing chops! The only problem with this meal? I didn’t make enough chops for my meat-loving men! Next time I will need to make a 3rd batch. :-)

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter4Pin on Pinterest1,007Google+4

Comments

1. Ann Cluck says

I love that you use the term “smashed” potatoes!!! This is a perfect country cook dinner, except, an extra side of greens or green peas would be a great addition.

2. Meme says

Those chops look amazing around here I often get coupons off pork loin and quite frequently b1g1 free making it cheaper than real pork chops. However I never buy it because thats 4-6lbs of meat…its just my husband and I and I can’t eat pork due to stomach problems (too rich of a meat). I was always afraid of wasting the rest of the meat on the loin. Now I don’t have to I can just “chop” it up before freezing. Also what’s the difference between mashed and smashed potatoes?

3. Victoria says

Mashed potatoes are smooth, smashed have lumps. I aslo like to put some chives in my smashed.

4. LindaF says

I love this classic combination. Typically, I take the thicker chops and put them on my smoker griller (over coals). I also add a few cloves of raw garlic to the water when cooking the potatoes… adds a nice savory flavor!

5. Danielle says

I have a set of cast iron pans, but I’m so intimidated by them! Every time I use them the food burns…. Do you have any tips for using them?

On a different note- this meal looked really good. I’m going to have to try it!

6. Lauran says

These look great! I love my cast iron pans too! Danielle- Try turning the heat on your pan down. Cast iron holds heat very well. They take a bit longer to heat up but so worth it. It also adds iron to your food which is great for someone like me who is constantly fighting low iron.

I do this all the time with the same cut of meat. Then I make homemade gravy using a roux and the crispy leaving from frying the chops. This meal is referred to by my men folk as the GOOD pork chops!

8. Dawn says

I was just reading your recipe for the pan fried pork chops. You bought them up near the entrance in the supermarket. And then washed them when you got home because you don’t like working with slimey meat. I just thought I should point out that fresh raw meat is not slimey, – unless it is starting to spoil. Slimey, slippery film on the meat is one of the first signs that your meat is spoiling. Than it becomes a slightly thicker, sticky film on the meat. Even before it has changed smell or color. Just saying.

• Margaret says

These days the meat companies are injecting the meat with “broth” to make it weigh more. They say it’s for moistness but who do they think they are fooling. That broth is also on the outside of the meat and causes the slippery feeling even when they are fresh.

• Angela says

I read that to mean that she doesn’t like to handle WET and “slippery” meat…. not that the meat was going bad. JUST saying. SMH

9. cty says

Looks great. Love your posts everything from the simple to the profound.
    In central NJ a popular item in the meat case was turkey “chops”. Turkey breasts cut thick like chops. We loved them. Funny, no one outside of central Jersey ever heard of them.
    Also a side of applesauce helps with the digestion of pork.