Homemade Caramel Sauce & Caramel Vanilla Creamer

caramel vanilla creamerToday I am sharing another reader’s “One Good Thing” with a little spin of my own!

The hubster is a big fan of caramel sauce on ice cream. Actually, he’s a big fan of caramel sauce, chocolate sauce, and peanuts on ice cream. :-)  Well, I’ve learned how to make my own chocolate sauce that’s every bit as good as the stuff in the brown bottle, but I hadn’t attempted caramel sauce….until now.

I had a feeling it was pretty easy to make, just hadn’t got around to it. But when I read this great idea from Vickylynne for Homemade Caramel Vanilla Creamer that included Caramel Sauce in it…I knew I HAD to make some.

I looked at quite a few recipes but decided on one with EASY in the title. :-)  It’s from The Pioneer Woman (Hi Ree!) via the Food Network website. And I’m happy to report it lives up to its’ name, and THEN some!

Easy Caramel Saucecaramel vanilla creamer

by Ree Drummond, The Pioneer Woman

Ingredients
1 packed cup brown sugar
1/2 cup half-and-half
4 tablespoons butter
Pinch salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Directions
Mix the brown sugar, half-and-half, butter and salt in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook while whisking gently for 5 to 7 minutes, until it gets thicker. Add the vanilla and cook another minute to thicken further. Turn off the heat, cool slightly and pour the sauce into a jar. Refrigerate until cold. (I didn’t bother with refrigerating it because it was going directly into my creamer.)

caramel vanilla creamer

How EASY is that??

Now, I could have stopped there and I would have considered that a “good day’s work”…but the thought of Vickylynne’s Caramel Vanilla Creamer kept creeping into my mind. So instead of putting this caramel sauce in a jar for the hubster’s ice cream enjoyment…I decided to be selfish and put it into some half-and-half for MY enjoyment. :-)

caramel vanilla creamer

Vickylynne makes her own caramel sauce a little bit differently (as described below), but any caramel sauce will do. Here are her instructions on how to make her Homemade Caramel Vanilla Creamer

Every day I start with my cup of coffee and we love flavored creamers in my house! But not the chemicals that go with those concoctions! So…I make my own homemade caramel vanilla creamer! It is a huge hit and I keep several jars in the fridge at all times!

It’s really very easy to make. I make a caramel sauce first with 1 1/2 cups sugar and 1/2 cup of water. Simmer to 240 degrees. Then whisk in 1 cup of heavy whipping cream, warmed so it blends better, and 1 tsp vanilla or more…to taste. I never get the caramel to a deep brown color but if you do, that’s ok too! You really can play with it to get the desired flavors.

Mix 4 cups of half-and-half with the sauce, whisk well to blend. Then store it in two quart jars in the fridge. We go thru a jar in a little over a week here. It is very similar to the naturals you can buy now but at a much better price!! If you find it’s too sweet add more half-and-half, not sweet enough, decrease it. Enjoy your coffee! :-)

pero

If you’re not a coffee-drinker…I highly suggest trying it in some pero. It is delicious!

Pero is a caffeine-free drink with a coffee-like taste made from 100% natural malted barley, chicory and rye. It’s great hot OR over ice….just like coffee.

Because pero is caffeine-free, it will not elevate heart rate or blood pressure, or cause sleeplessness (so you can have a nice cup before bed!). Plus the low acidity of this blend let’s you enjoy it without fear of an upset stomach. AND it can be mixed with your favorite ingredients (like Caramel Vanilla Creamer!) to create your own drink specialties.

I had a nice hot cup of it after dinner tonight (with a generous serving of my new favorite creamer) and it was the perfect “dessert”. :-)

Thanks for sharing Ree and Vickylynne! I owe you! :-)

caramel vanilla creamer

Facebook307Twitter6Pinterest8950Google+1

Comments

1. DC Adams says

Any help for those of us who are lactose intolerant?!? No ice cream, no milk, no half-n-half, no skim milk, no cheese…boo hoo. Thank you for all of your great ideas. (Just did a load of towels using your softener. Yeah!)

2. Valeen says

I can’t believe I found this!! We recently decided to start the 100 Days of Real Food pledges and giving up my vanilla caramel creamer was going to be the hardest part for me, even with the substitution of maple syrup it just isn’t the same. So excited to try this!!

We do not have Half&Half here in Canada (at least not in my part) do you happen to know what the percentage is (10, 18, 35?)? Or what other cream could be substituted?

3. Ashley says

DC Adams, I bet you could make the caramel with just sugar & water, then add coconut milk to it. That would be yummy and dairy free! Valeen, half and half is (like the name suggests) 1/2 milk and 1/2 heavy cream. Just substitute those two things. I’m a coffee creamer addict, I can’t wait to try this recipe! Mmmm

We have Pero! But my husband drinks coffee every day and while he used to use coffeemate creamer (uggh! horrible!) I have now switched him to the liquid stevia french vanilla flavored, along with raw whole milk. Tastes similar, but no bad stuff, much fewer calories and good enzymes from the raw milk. I want to try this for the caramel flavor of it :)

• Deborah Jennings says

Cathy, I do know that Splenda has a brown sugar. But I did wonder the same thing. I am pre-diabetic and hubby is full blown. =) I just has to take a pill before eating, no shots, yet. I does run in my family, but not his. He is diabetic due to pancreatitis. He also can’t have anything with alcohol in it.

5. Amber says

I was just telling my husband I wanted to find a recipe for homemade coffee creamer and when I got online this morning, my prayers were answered! Gonna give this a try this morning after the kids are off to school and a quick run to the store :) Thanks Jillee!

6. Jen says

Half-and-half is a bit rich for me, but I think this would work with evaporated milk. That comes in a fat free version. I use the regular evaporated milk in my coffee already – this would make it even more yummy!

7. Vickylynne says

So surprised to see my morning yumminess here today! This really is a good base recipe to add flavorings to as well. With the change in season here…add some pumpkin spice! Amazing!!
    Vicky

8. Jules says

Have you ever tried making caramel sauce out of sweetened condensed milk? So easy!!
    Peel the label off an unopened can of condensed milk. Drop it in water in the crock pot or large pot, completely submerged for 8 hours. Let it cool, and you have caramel. Yumm Yumm!!!

9. Well... says

I was intrigued, until I noticed the cup of coffe in the bottom photo looks like something is floating on the surface of the coffee. It looks kinda icky, and I was wondering what that is?

10. Cynthia says

Thanks so much for this recipe! I’ve totally gotta try it. My family is a big fan of flavored creamers, too. My favorite is Hazelnut, and my mother’s is Cinnamon-Vanilla. But, we like a good caramel once in awhile, too. I may have to try my hand at making them all!

• kjackson says

Are you the Vickylynee, the owner of this beautiful sound recipe for creamer??? I made this, this morning. And I guess I misunderstood about the sugar. I use the white sugar and water, It became a big glob of rock hard sugar mountain in my pot…. I am so embarrased. Do I supporse to use brown sugar…? I didn’t make the first recipe, because it has butter in it, I was not crazy about butter in my coffee. ( I once did this and it made my coffee oily) For the second recipe, can I make caramel without butter in it?? PLEASE HELP!!! And thank you!

11. Christy says

I can’t wait to try this!! I can’t find flavored coffee creamer here in Europe – I’m always asking visitors to bring some over in their suitcases. What a pain! I do hope this works…..

12. Comet says

Not to be all unfriendly but for the person looking to make this more diabetic friendly–As a “practising Type 1″ using an insulin pump for the past 4 years I can tell you—it’s not the “sugar” thats the big issue. Oh I am not sayin’ that “sugar” is GOOD for any of us but we are NOT allergic to sugar.

What it is is–the carbs that sugar etc contains. And for this type recipe the amount of sugar that you would consume—and bear in mind that you can CONTROL the sugar here but you really can’t when it is a store bought item–is probably MUCH less than you would get using the pre-made stuff and also probably a lot less per SERVING than the store stuff and less chemicals (which have a strong connection to becoming diabetic).

Now what you do want to figure out is how much CARB GRAMS you would get using a realistic measurement for lets say coffee. And then decide if this is worth it for YOU. I am sure Mr. Google can tell you what the carbs for the caramel (as made) and the dairy (or non-dairy coconut milk or soy) would be. Measure what you think you would use PER SERVING and then go from there. Once you have done this math–they TOLD you you were gonna need that High School math SOMETIME didn’t they!!!!—you only have to do it once and done.

I am pretty sure that the amount is small and easily covered with insulin or careful measurement. I know I am sometimes surprised what a little tasty bit of something will do for me and what I consider “Worth” the “cost” in carbs. And of course this would be so much better for you than the bizarre stuff from the store!

I have looked at the “Brown Sugar Splenda” and if I remember it right it is just plain old Splenda with some brown sugar “flavor” added. And some Splenda is really a blend of HALF PURE WHITE SUGAR and some proportion of Splenda and fillers to make up VOLUME for baking. (And I tried it and—never again!)

I use the “Raw” sugar or–when I can find it!-Demarara Sugar. This is a sugar that is not purified or cooked as long as white sugar and has much more of the molasses flavor in it–but it is a “Dry” sugar not moist like brown sugar (which is white sugar with molasses mixed back in to mimic the Demarara sugar! ) Sometimes this is called “Florida Crystals” and it packs a bigger ” flavor punch” with LESS and I can save some carbs and get more flavor right there. This stuff has become easier to find in even Walmart recently. I haven’t used it to bake or cook with but I have used it in marinades and similar and on cornflakes and it is wonderful and does NOT raise my glucose. Might be worth a try!

13. Krystal says

When you make the creamer… Do you add all of that to the caramel sauce? I got lost at the Mix 4 cups of half and half to the sauce. Which sauce since there are 2 recipes on here?

We buy the chocolate caramel creamer at Walmart all of the time so this will save some $$$. I am going to add a smidge of Hershey’s Chocolate syrup to my cup and see if it works.

14. Cindy Groshko says

I have made this recipe 3 times now, WONDERFUL is all I can say. Thank you for this wonderful recipe, I now can have more than one cup of coffee and the caramel sauce is my hubby’s favorite. Hugs to you Jillee, keep the posts coming as I am trying out most of them!!! 5 STARS…

15. Marcia says

This looks so good. Can’t wait to make the creamer! I usually stay away from the store bought creamers due to all of the added ingredients. We’re working to eliminate GMOs out of our diet, and I find making more things from scratch gives more control to achieve that goal. Thanks for so many of the great things you share :-)

16. Michele says

I just made the recipe. Simple and delicious! Saved a little for my husband’s vanilla ice cream and the rest went in my creamer. I can’t wait until the morning. Thank you, Jillee.

17. Trish says

Several years ago, when purchasing the “creamer” for the hubby, I pointed out all the chemicals and convinced him to only get the whole cream kind…cost a bit more but worth it! Then last month, inspired by YOU I thought I should start saving the containers for “something”…then I remembered this recipe! I made a batch last night, my 2 containers were only 1/2 full…1 went to his (and my daughters) WORK to live in the fridge with NO LABEL, and the other stays here at home.

ALREADY I have reports that the creamer is WONDERFUL in her bold black tea! TY again Jillee!!

18. Amanda says

Okay Jillee, can you please tell me if I do or do NOT need to add the 1c heavy whipping cream to your caramel sauce in order to make the creamer? Or do I just make your sauce, then pick up the creamer recipe at adding 4 more cups of half & half and vanilla extract? I am so confused! Lol! I’m grocery shopping today & would hate to buy heavy whipping cream if it’s not needed for the creamer recipe, since I doubt I would be using it for anything else. I hate to waste! Thanks so much!!

19. Making it Homemade! says

LOVE THE CARAMEL SAUCE!!! Have made this several times. Instead of adding all of the 1/2 and 1/2 to make the creamer I only add about 1/2c. to 1c. cream to the caramel mixture. This keeps it at a shakeable liquid consistency in the fridge but doesn’t dilute it so it is always handy for other uses. My daughter loves it to make salted caramel hot chocolate and at this consistency it can be used to drizzle across the whipped cream.

With the holidays fast approaching, I thought I would try to mix things up a bit and use some prepared eggnog I had in the fridge in place of the 1/2 and 1/2. I substitued 1/4c. eggnog and 1/4c. whipping cream in place of the 1/2 and 1/2 and it turned out awesome! Next time I will try it with all eggnog for more of that eggnog flavor.

Thanks for the wonderful site and all of your great tips!

20. stellans says

Vicky Lynne (or Ree, if she’s reading!), or Jillee: how much caramel results from either recipe?

I’ve been saving creamer containers, and will be so happy to fill them with chemical-free goodness!

Thank you so much in advance.