Wednesday, November 7, 2012

How To Make Blender Butter

blender butter A couple of weeks ago I showed you four things to make in your blender that you probably hadn’t tried before. Since that time I keep trying to come up with NEW stuff to try. Last week I needed to make up a new batch of laundry detergent and almost cried at how quickly and easily my new BlendTec did the job! It was amazing!

But you don’t have to have a fancy, schmancy blender to make this “recipe”…you actually don’t need a blender at all! But it does make it a lot easier and faster!

I haven’t attempted to make butter since I was in kindergarten. But it obviously made a big impression on me…because I can totally remember taking turns shaking that jar just as hard as we could for what seemed like HOURS! Then when it was FINALLY butter, we spread it on saltine crackers and I recall thinking it was the best butter in the whole world! :-)

Even at the tender age of FIVE I recognized how much better stuff is when you make it yourself! Butter is no exception!

I must confess…I do love butter! The hubster is fond of saying, “Would you like a little bread with your butter?” Wiseguy! ;-) So I was excited to try this and at the same time a little concerned that it wouldn’t turn out and I would be devastated! lol. I take my butter very seriously.

I decided to just go for it. It’s funny….for such a SIMPLE recipe…it’s somewhat involved. But by no means DIFFICULT! It just takes a few steps more than just pouring cream into a jar and shaking. (Although that will work too…it just won’t taste as good and it won’t last long.)

blender butterHere is what you will need:

• 1 cup heavy cream
  • ice water

Yep. That’s it. Oh yeah…and a blender (at least for this version.) Oh, and something to strain the butter/buttermilk. But THAT’S it.

Directions:

You want to start with the cream at room temperature…it will go a lot faster that way. Pour the cream into the blender.

Add salt to taste if desired. I used about a 1/4 teaspoon.

Blend on medium-high speed for 3-5 (or more) minutes. How long this step takes will be highly dependent on your blender. It could take up to 10 minutes in an older blender.

Just keep an eye on it and when the butter starts to separate into butter and buttermilk stop the blender.

Let the cream sit for a minute or two as the butter rises to the top. Pour the buttermilk off into another container.

blender butter

This next step is highly controversial in the butter-making worldto RINSE or not to RINSE! Rinsing the butter is supposed to make it last longer without spoiling (which is a good thing), but MY experience with butter is that it really doesn’t last that long around our house. Especially when you’re just making what is essentially one “stick”. But I decided to play if safe and did the rinsing thing because it’s really not much more work. All you do is add cold water to the blender and pulse for few seconds, then drain the water. Repeat this process until the water runs clear. Mine never really ran CLEAR, but after 6 or 7 times I figured that was good enough.

blender butter

Spoon butter into a strainer to drain. At this point you can pack your butter into molds or form it into a log like I did. Stick it in the refrigerator to chill.

blender butter

While it’s CHILLIN’….I’m going to share a chef’s secret with you!

Like I said earlier…I love butter. One of my very favorite things is cold butter on fresh, warm, crusty bread! This is a treat that’s usually reserved for when you go to a nice restaurant. But I am going to tell you how those nice restaurants do it! A friend of mine who is a chef told me this about 5 years ago and it is one of the best kitchen tips I’ve ever gotten!

Take your loaf of french bread, or whatever is your fave, and quickly run it under cold water. Don’t SOAK it, but make sure all of it is wet. Then place it in a 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes. It will come out crispy on the outside and warm and soft on the inside!

blender butter

Just PERFECT for slathering with fresh, homemade butter! :-)

blender butter

Be sure to check out the new One Good Thing By Jillee FORUM!
Start a conversationmeet a new frienddiscuss an ideaor just hang out!
See ya there!

Never miss a good thing!
Receive a daily dose of Jillee + bonus newsletters.

63 thoughts on “How To Make Blender Butter

1. Mandi

So glad you posted this. I remember making butter in tiny jars when I was a kid as well and it really was the best tasting butter ever! I never knew you were suppose to rinse and how easy it could be to make in the blender :)

2. Allie

Yum! ONE CUP of cream made that much? It looks like a lot – so that would be cheaper, wouldn’t it? And it’s nice to have cream on hand for other things too.
    Do you know if you can freeze cream? I guess you could freeze the butter made, right?

1. Ashley

Butter is typically cheaper to buy than cream because it has a longer shelf life. But homemade butter is sure tasty :)

I freeze butter often! I’ve never frozen the homemade kind, though.

I remember making butter in tiny jars in Kindergarten, too. I wonder why that leaves such an impression?

3. Elizabeth

We make our butter in a quart size mason jar. Actually my daughter and husband do because we need him for the last step of turning the whipped cream (first step in the butter process) into butter. She and I just aren’t strong enough to do it quickly. I will have to try the blender method. I drain the buttermilk off and freeze it for later. How I rinse the butter is I press the loose curds into a ball with my hands and run the ball under cold water. Works like a charm. You can often get store bought butter cheaper than homemade but I’ve become good at using up the buttermilk a well (a 2 for 1 process-butter and buttermilk).

4. Joanna

Jillee- When my grocery store has sales on french bread, I buy a few loaves, cut them in half and wrap tightly in foil. Then I pop them in the freezer. When I need them, I set the oven to 350 and pop the loaf in before I start dinner. By the time dinner is done (about half hour later), the bread is hot and crusty. Works perfectly every single time! :) Saves me a ton of money when I need good crusty bread for dinner and it’s not on sale that week!

1. Leah

There is a GREAT recipe for homemade bread that I love much more than store bought! It only has 4 ingredients and there is no kneeding involved. I will have to post this on my blog in the next few days! I am excited to try the butter!!!

1. Ali

You can make buttermilk biscuits, corn bread, yummy baked goods. Oh the list could go on and on. I do love buttermilk biscuits though. MMMMM…. Self-rising flour, crisco, and buttermilk. Bake until slightly golden and then top with melted butter.

2. Kaz

Make Irish soda bread with the buttermilk!!

No kneading, no yeast, ready in under an hour – perfect with soup, or my favourite: slices of cheddar cheese & apple (and of course your home made butter!)

This is a good set of instructions: http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/chefs/hugh-fearnley-whittingstall/classic-soda-bread-recipe

The less work you use to bring it together the better – lovely, lazy bread! I live on my own and half this recipe, it’s ready even faster and the leftovers are delicious toasted the following day.

5. Jean

Cooks around here put the serving of bread or rolls in a paper bag first. Then we run the bag under the faucet and place it in the hot oven. Bread comes out hot and crusty this way as well without soggy patches.

6. Angel

I can not believe you are posting this today… how weird!

I was sitting at home last night thinking… I wonder how I could make my own butter! I KID YOU NOT!

Thank you so much for this. I could not believe it when I opened my in box and seen your blog post for today… too funny!

7. Debra T. Head

Great!!!! I use so many of your ideas in my house and have shared many of them. And this butter sounds wonderful. But my husband is on a special diet (renal) so we have to have butter like Smart Balance, soooo my question is this, is there a recipe that you can share for making that kind of butter? I would love to be able to make butter just for him it would make it special and okay he may eat it better.

1. Darlene in North GA

Well, not a Dr. here, but here’s my thoughts.
      I just went to the Smart Balance website and looked at the ingredient list of Smart Balance. It’s mostly manufactured oils, some of which “they’re” now saying aren’t so good for you – like soybean and canola oils. (and what the heck is “Palm Fruit” oil – do they mean coconut oil or palm oil – which isn’t too good for you either.)

If it were me, I’d skip the salt completely in this. There’s no real need for it. If you want it “healthier” – read less cholesterol, then cut it half/half olive oil and butter. Or 1/3 each olive oil, skim milk and butter. The rest of it is added (artificial) vitamins. A daily multivitamin would take care of that.
      I’d have to ask why the Dr/nutritionist wants him on Smart Balance. What is in it that his kidneys can process but that butter would foul up. Or is it just “prejudice” towards whole foods – like butter, that have cholesterol in them. That will make a difference in what you do. If it doesn’t mess up his kidneys and his cholesterol levels are good, then he should be able to handle the butter just fine. Like I said, I’m not a Dr., but this is my best estimate of what you can do.

8. kris

When I was a Girl Scout leader we made our own butter in a quart jar gave it to 20 active girls to keep shaking. While we ground up corn from our field and made corn bread in a electric fry pan. We had alot of fun

9. candi

I’d love to make this, Im just wondering about the buttermilk<wouldnt it be full of butter chunks or something .. and can you freeze buttermilk .. or would i have to make it with something like buttermilk biscuts and other stuff .. id love to see how that goes … I used to love my grandmothers homemade butter < she used to make two version of it .. on salted and one unsalted… I moved here thinking someone would have the old butter churner but no one has anymore and i saw this and said wow i love to do that …

10. CTY

I wonder if making my own would cause me to eat more or less butter. I know I would like it better–I just can’t imagine using that much buttermilk. And my conservative self won’t let me throw it out. Can you use buttermilk for making ice cream– if so I think there will be a perfect match. I love butter & my husband loves ice cream. Hmmmm

11. Eileen

I thought this was funny, my mother was just telling me how she accidentally made butter in her blender. She used to get fresh milk all the time and once she decided to skim some cream off the top to make whipped cream. She put it all in the blender and walked away for a minute, and came back to butter, not whipped cream:)

12. Mary Alice

It has been my experience that homemade butter is always more expensive than buying butter, unless there is a good sale on heavy cream. In my area, heavy cream rarely goes on sale, so I rarely make butter. However, it does taste heavenly.

13. Kelly

Yummm!! Makes me want some fresh baked bread to go with it! Just an idea … after the cold-water rinse, you could beat in 1/4 cup honey and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon to make honey cinnamon butter!

1. Mary

Definately. I’ve done it many times. I just wouldn’t walk away. One minute it is cream, the next it is a clump of butter! I use a cheese cloth to get the buttermilk in it. I put the buttermilk in a glass and the kids drink it up!

14. Celtic Cate

Hi, Jillee!! LOVE your website. Something to look forward to every day. Okay…here’s my question. Years ago I came across a recipe where you could whip lowfat buttermilk into regular butter via a mixer (like a Kitchen-Aid w/the whipper attachment) to produce a type of “light” butter. I remember that you added the buttermilk slowly until the butter “took in” as much buttermilk as it could, and then the process was finished. The consistency was Shedd spread-type. It was really good (less fat than regular butter, but nearly as good as the full-fat version in taste), but I have lost the proportions. Have you ever heard of this?

1. Debra Shipley

If you ever find out how to do this, I would love to know as well! My husband eats way too much butter and would love to find a healthier replacement.

15. Comet

@Debra—The “Smart Balance” and other “butter” substitutes are all pretty much made from vegetable shortening and butter “flavor” and some coloring—otherwise the product would be dead white like a piece of paper—very appetising! In the WW II days they used to hand out packages of this stuff (basically shortening) with a small color “tablet” to mix in for the color–otherwise no one would eat it!

Some of the “Butter substitutes” have some small amount of “milk solids” added in for some flavor or so they can claim that they are “butter”. They are not allowed to call it butter unless it comes from a dairy animal and contains certain percentages of butterfat etc. This is why some butter packages say CREAM and SALT and some take the precaution of saying CREAM, MILK and SALT.

Up until a few years ago the demon in the dish was–butter. For some reason butter suddenly had a terrible-for-you reputation. But recently many studies have been done that prove that the FAKE butters really are WORSE for you than butter EVER was.

I would think that for me I would need a VERY good explanation of WHY exactly real butter (perhaps unsalted for some one with kidney issues) would be WORSE for anyone than fake butter. But gather your facts carefully before you talk to either a doctor or (worse in my opinion) some “Dietitians” —as a diabetic I have gotten some pretty strange information from both of these kinds of people and have decided to do my OWN homework on this. There is still a lot of knee-jerk “Butter is BAD for you” feeling out there even in the face of many studies from serious scientists on this.

Personally I would rather have a small amount of real butter than any amount of the fake stuff–it doesn’t smell taste melt or even feel the same and makes the things it is put on or things you try and cook in it taste–odd. There may be recipes out there that mimic these that taste better tho.

Good luck with trying to get your husband to eat better–nothing like trying to eat or tempt someone to eat that doesn’t feel well. Hope he is feeling better soon.

16. meenakshi

Just wanted to direct you to this Thanksgiving Gluten-free Apple Cake recipe which I hope your entire family enjoy, especially with your yummy homemade blender butter !

I skim the cream (malai, as it is called in Hindi) off boiled & cooled full cream milk & collect & store it in the frezer. When there is enough, I bring the container down to fridge shelf so that it thaws. Then, I churn the still cold cream in blender or with an electric beater. When the butter separates, I use part of it as butter & the rest is put on the stove/microwave to convert to ghee [clarified butter].

Since the cream is from our daily milk consumption, making it at home is way cheaper than buying either cream or butter. But besides the expense, it is the taste & the nutrition – of milk, cream, butter, ghee.

1. Pamela

That sounds great, all those thinks you make out of milk. Do you drink the rest of the milk once you skimmed the cream off (after you boiled and cooked the full cream milk)? Would that work with pasteurized and homogenised milk as well or only with raw milk?

1. meenakshi

Yes, Pamela, you can use the milk just as you normally would.
        I buy pasteurized, branded milk but the pack says it’s preferable to boil within 24 hours! [I don't know about homogenized milk; it probably Should work since the fat is Still in the milk]. I think this is a kind of cultural legacy we’ve inherited, where raw cow/buffalo milk Had to be boiled. Polypack, long-lasting milk still hasn’t caught on yet, although the scenario is changing to pre-packaged, processed foods.

I like to remove the fat from the milk before consuming – just added calories. Instead one can use this cream/malai in diff forms for various purposes; thus also eliminating the necessity of buying stuff separately that has been mass/industrially-processed.

Procedure: Boil milk, cool to room temp, refrigerate, skim off the “cream/malai” & collect it in a lid-container which can be kept in freezer till further/later use – for many many weeks.

I prefer cold milk, hence boiling once is fine – one shouldn’t reboil too often.
        This milk can be used to drink, make shakes, etc. It can be converted to curd, cottage cheese, butter, buttermilk [by-product of butter], clarified butter/ghee, and also into khoya or solidified milk that we use to make umpteen types of sweets or to thicken gravy.

And, here’s the clincher – malai can be Reconverted to Cream by adding a little milk & whisking gently till well blended ! You can choose the consistency of cream by adjusting the quantity of milk.

Isn’t milk a versatile, complete & nutritious food !

17. P Jones

I tried…and failed. I used 1 pint of room temp cream in a good blender. I wound up with salty whipped cream and it didn’t progress beyond thay stage. I guess I could scrape it out of the blender and finish the process in my Kitchen Aid mixer but I’m wondering if anyone else has run into this problem? It seems like the cream got so dense that it stopped moving as the blades spun. Any suggestions??? Thanks

1. Darlene in North GA

It was because your blender wasn’t strong enough to handle the job. You could have tried scraping the mixture down into the blades again and turning it on. It was salty whipped cream because it didn’t run long enough. Scraping it out into a mixing bowl and using beaters on it (either stand mixer or hand-held) would have worked. My blender, while a half-way decent one, would end up doing just what yours did. So I make mine using my hand-held mixer. It goes from thicker cream to whip cream to runny cream and then the lumps of butter start showing up. When the butter starts to clump together (vs just tiny globules in the cream), you’re done. hth

18. Ruth Chidley

I love butter and have used only butter for years at my doctors recommendation. She told me how butter, being natural, will stay in more of a liquid state as it moves through our bodies while margarine becomes solid which can cause problems. All I can say is my blood counts for clorestrol, etc. have stayed in the “healthy” range ever since I made this change. I was so happy to inherit my family’s butter churn 2 years ago. Unfortunately, it is so big…half gallon size…meant for a large family…I’m afraid the butter would spoil before we could get through it all. I did just have a thought…it would be nice to use it when we have family over for Thanksgiving and Christmas. The grandchildren would have fun turning the handle to make the butter and everyone would enjoy eating it with our homemade rolls…yummy!!!

19. Pingback: The best butter

20. Darlene in North GA

The only thing with the buttermilk made this way is that it’s not “cultured” like what you buy in the store. When I buy store-bought buttermilk, I use part of it to make more buttermilk. It works because the buttermilk is cultured – it has bacterias in it that cause it to thicken and have a “buttermilk” taste.

When I make butter and pour off that buttermilk, I can’t make more of it by adding 1/4 cup to a quart of regular milk. It’s not been cultured and will just sit there until it sours. Now I can do that with my cultured buttermilk.

Both will work in cooking, baking and drinking. It wouldn’t work for making Creme Fraiche or sour cream, as that requires a cultured buttermilk to make it (or buying special cultures from a cheese-making business to make it).

21. Sherrie

If you enjoy making your own bread (easy with the dough setting on the bread machine), you can get that great crispy crust by baking the dough on the center rack and placing a pie plate with 8-10 ice cubes on the bottom rack. The heat melts the ice and the bread cooks in a steamy oven. Try it ….it works!

22. Jaunnette

I never made butter in jars when I was a kid. I feel a little left out here! But I am sure as heck making this! I get so many delicious ideas from you, I don’t buy greek yogurt anymore, I make it with one gallon of milk at a time for my family, and now I have people wanting me to make it for them too!

23. Amanda

Just made this-it’s chilling in the fridge right now. I just want to say that I had serious doubts about my $10 Walmart blender (yes-$10) being able to do this even in ten minutes. But, lo and behold, it got the job done in four! I rinsed the butter 5 times, and it was clear enough for me. A taste off the spoon tells me I’m gonna love this stuff once it’s good and cold. I made a large loaf of homemade bread yesterday. I can hardly wait to warm a piece and spread this fresh butter all over it! Homemade bread is one of my fave foods ever, and now I have homemade butter to go with it-AND without having to buy an expensive blender :)

24. Amanda

Update: it’s a winner! I put it on warmed homemade bread, and my four-year-old and I “smacked” on it as my mother would say :) Short of milking the cow myself, it doesn’t get any fresher than that. I can’t make this all the time though or I’d be a balloon!

For anyone who doesn’t already regularly use real butter, you may not like this. Just fyi. :)

1. truckerswife

If you would do some research on butter and such, this is healthier than the butter you buy in the store except for land o lakes (real butter) read your labels and I think you will be horrified at what you have been eating. Much healthier and much tastier!!

25. RUBY RIDDELL

I LOVE THIS BUTTER,AND MADE IN A FOOD PROCESSOR AND DOES GREAT, MY CHEEP BLENDER WASN’T STRONG ENOUGH TO DO THE JOB. I HAVE BEEN MAKING THE LAUNDRY DETERGENT & FABRIC SOFTENER FOR ABOUT 2 MO. I HAVE A TOP HE, WASHER AND DRYER, WORKS GREAT, IT TAKES A COUPLE WASHINGS TO GET THE OLD SOAP AND THE SOFTENER OUT OF THE CLOTHS, TOWELS MUCH MORE SOFTER & MUCH MORE ABSORPTION & FLUFFIER, MY WHITES ARE EVEN WHITER, I LIKE ADDING ABOUT 1/2c. MORE BORAX WHICH IS A “1-1/2 c..” TOTAL BORAX, TO THE BIG BATCH OF LAUNDRY SOAP,WE HAVE REALLY HARD WATER, AND I AM USING WAY LESS CLOROX,I DO NOT MISS BUYING” TIDE PODS & DOWNY!!!” LoVe Your WORK, With the economy, its great not to buy laundry products. THANKS SO VERY MUCH RUBY IN KENTUCKY !!!

26. Emma

Jillee,
    I missed something – I did not find the post about the laundry detergent you made in your blender, please post. I tried and mine was a mess – a salvageable one but still a mess.

Thanks,

Appreciate your blog.

27. Pingback: How To Make Homemade “American” CheeseOne Good Thing by Jillee | One Good Thing by Jillee

28. Marti

Just made the butter and it’s great! I got very little buttermilk as well, and the cream gave me about 14 ounces of the best butter I’ve ever had. I can see how easy it would be to make savory or sweet butters with this What great gifts these would make, in a basket with homemade bread, cheese and crackers. Mmmmm.