How To Make Blender Butter

blender butter A couple of weeks ago I showed you four things to make in your blender that you probably hadn’t tried before. Since that time I keep trying to come up with NEW stuff to try. Last week I needed to make up a new batch of laundry detergent and almost cried at how quickly and easily my new BlendTec did the job! It was amazing!

But you don’t have to have a fancy, schmancy blender to make this “recipe”…you actually don’t need a blender at all! But it does make it a lot easier and faster!

I haven’t attempted to make butter since I was in kindergarten. But it obviously made a big impression on me…because I can totally remember taking turns shaking that jar just as hard as we could for what seemed like HOURS! Then when it was FINALLY butter, we spread it on saltine crackers and I recall thinking it was the best butter in the whole world! :-)

Even at the tender age of FIVE I recognized how much better stuff is when you make it yourself! Butter is no exception!

I must confess…I do love butter! The hubster is fond of saying, “Would you like a little bread with your butter?” Wiseguy! ;-) So I was excited to try this and at the same time a little concerned that it wouldn’t turn out and I would be devastated! lol. I take my butter very seriously.

I decided to just go for it. It’s funny….for such a SIMPLE recipe…it’s somewhat involved. But by no means DIFFICULT! It just takes a few steps more than just pouring cream into a jar and shaking. (Although that will work too…it just won’t taste as good and it won’t last long.)

blender butterHere is what you will need:

• 1 cup heavy cream
  • ice water

Yep. That’s it. Oh yeah…and a blender (at least for this version.) Oh, and something to strain the butter/buttermilk. But THAT’S it.

Directions:

You want to start with the cream at room temperature…it will go a lot faster that way. Pour the cream into the blender.

Add salt to taste if desired. I used about a 1/4 teaspoon.

Blend on medium-high speed for 3-5 (or more) minutes. How long this step takes will be highly dependent on your blender. It could take up to 10 minutes in an older blender.

Just keep an eye on it and when the butter starts to separate into butter and buttermilk stop the blender.

Let the cream sit for a minute or two as the butter rises to the top. Pour the buttermilk off into another container.

blender butter

This next step is highly controversial in the butter-making worldto RINSE or not to RINSE! Rinsing the butter is supposed to make it last longer without spoiling (which is a good thing), but MY experience with butter is that it really doesn’t last that long around our house. Especially when you’re just making what is essentially one “stick”. But I decided to play if safe and did the rinsing thing because it’s really not much more work. All you do is add cold water to the blender and pulse for few seconds, then drain the water. Repeat this process until the water runs clear. Mine never really ran CLEAR, but after 6 or 7 times I figured that was good enough.

blender butter

Spoon butter into a strainer to drain. At this point you can pack your butter into molds or form it into a log like I did. Stick it in the refrigerator to chill.

blender butter

While it’s CHILLIN’….I’m going to share a chef’s secret with you!

Like I said earlier…I love butter. One of my very favorite things is cold butter on fresh, warm, crusty bread! This is a treat that’s usually reserved for when you go to a nice restaurant. But I am going to tell you how those nice restaurants do it! A friend of mine who is a chef told me this about 5 years ago and it is one of the best kitchen tips I’ve ever gotten!

Take your loaf of french bread, or whatever is your fave, and quickly run it under cold water. Don’t SOAK it, but make sure all of it is wet. Then place it in a 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes. It will come out crispy on the outside and warm and soft on the inside!

blender butter

Just PERFECT for slathering with fresh, homemade butter! :-)

blender butter

Be sure to check out the new One Good Thing By Jillee FORUM!
Start a conversationmeet a new frienddiscuss an ideaor just hang out!
See ya there!

Print Friendly
Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter5Pin on Pinterest9,734Google+0

Comments

1. Mandi says

So glad you posted this. I remember making butter in tiny jars when I was a kid as well and it really was the best tasting butter ever! I never knew you were suppose to rinse and how easy it could be to make in the blender :)

2. Allie says

Yum! ONE CUP of cream made that much? It looks like a lot – so that would be cheaper, wouldn’t it? And it’s nice to have cream on hand for other things too.
    Do you know if you can freeze cream? I guess you could freeze the butter made, right?

• Penny Hannah says

In my experience cream tends to separate when it’s un- frozen, but butter freezes really well.

• Ashley says

Butter is typically cheaper to buy than cream because it has a longer shelf life. But homemade butter is sure tasty :)

I freeze butter often! I’ve never frozen the homemade kind, though.

I remember making butter in tiny jars in Kindergarten, too. I wonder why that leaves such an impression?

3. Elizabeth says

We make our butter in a quart size mason jar. Actually my daughter and husband do because we need him for the last step of turning the whipped cream (first step in the butter process) into butter. She and I just aren’t strong enough to do it quickly. I will have to try the blender method. I drain the buttermilk off and freeze it for later. How I rinse the butter is I press the loose curds into a ball with my hands and run the ball under cold water. Works like a charm. You can often get store bought butter cheaper than homemade but I’ve become good at using up the buttermilk a well (a 2 for 1 process-butter and buttermilk).

4. Joanna says

Jillee- When my grocery store has sales on french bread, I buy a few loaves, cut them in half and wrap tightly in foil. Then I pop them in the freezer. When I need them, I set the oven to 350 and pop the loaf in before I start dinner. By the time dinner is done (about half hour later), the bread is hot and crusty. Works perfectly every single time! :) Saves me a ton of money when I need good crusty bread for dinner and it’s not on sale that week!

There is a GREAT recipe for homemade bread that I love much more than store bought! It only has 4 ingredients and there is no kneeding involved. I will have to post this on my blog in the next few days! I am excited to try the butter!!!

• Ali says

You can make buttermilk biscuits, corn bread, yummy baked goods. Oh the list could go on and on. I do love buttermilk biscuits though. MMMMM…. Self-rising flour, crisco, and buttermilk. Bake until slightly golden and then top with melted butter.

• Kaz says

Make Irish soda bread with the buttermilk!!

No kneading, no yeast, ready in under an hour – perfect with soup, or my favourite: slices of cheddar cheese & apple (and of course your home made butter!)

This is a good set of instructions: http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/chefs/hugh-fearnley-whittingstall/classic-soda-bread-recipe

The less work you use to bring it together the better – lovely, lazy bread! I live on my own and half this recipe, it’s ready even faster and the leftovers are delicious toasted the following day.

5. Jean says

Cooks around here put the serving of bread or rolls in a paper bag first. Then we run the bag under the faucet and place it in the hot oven. Bread comes out hot and crusty this way as well without soggy patches.

I can not believe you are posting this today… how weird!

I was sitting at home last night thinking… I wonder how I could make my own butter! I KID YOU NOT!

Thank you so much for this. I could not believe it when I opened my in box and seen your blog post for today… too funny!

7. Debra T. Head says

Great!!!! I use so many of your ideas in my house and have shared many of them. And this butter sounds wonderful. But my husband is on a special diet (renal) so we have to have butter like Smart Balance, soooo my question is this, is there a recipe that you can share for making that kind of butter? I would love to be able to make butter just for him it would make it special and okay he may eat it better.

Well, not a Dr. here, but here’s my thoughts.
      I just went to the Smart Balance website and looked at the ingredient list of Smart Balance. It’s mostly manufactured oils, some of which “they’re” now saying aren’t so good for you – like soybean and canola oils. (and what the heck is “Palm Fruit” oil – do they mean coconut oil or palm oil – which isn’t too good for you either.)

If it were me, I’d skip the salt completely in this. There’s no real need for it. If you want it “healthier” – read less cholesterol, then cut it half/half olive oil and butter. Or 1/3 each olive oil, skim milk and butter. The rest of it is added (artificial) vitamins. A daily multivitamin would take care of that.
      I’d have to ask why the Dr/nutritionist wants him on Smart Balance. What is in it that his kidneys can process but that butter would foul up. Or is it just “prejudice” towards whole foods – like butter, that have cholesterol in them. That will make a difference in what you do. If it doesn’t mess up his kidneys and his cholesterol levels are good, then he should be able to handle the butter just fine. Like I said, I’m not a Dr., but this is my best estimate of what you can do.

8. kris says

When I was a Girl Scout leader we made our own butter in a quart jar gave it to 20 active girls to keep shaking. While we ground up corn from our field and made corn bread in a electric fry pan. We had alot of fun

1. […] "good butter" confidently purchased in the 'huts' have in general a rather high quantity of water.The good butter should have a delicate flavor and sweet aroma and an end reminiscent of the pastures…herbs and fat can be yellow, a color ivory also acute but is more often than white or nearly so, and […]