Thursday, June 20, 2013

15 Surprising Uses For Eggshells

eggshell uses

A couple of weeks ago I bought a composter for my garden. It’s a pretty fancy contraption. It’s actually TWO composters in one. The idea being that you can have one batch “brewing” while another batch is being utilized. They even SPIN…which is apparently important because compost needs to be “stirred” as its’ “cooking”.

As you can probably tell, I don’t know a whole lot about composting….YET. But I am learning…things like what you can and can’t put into your composter. One thing I have learned CAN go in, and is a rich source of calcium and other essential nutrients that plants need, is egg shells! So recently I started my egg shell collection in a container under the kitchen sink which has grown quite rapidly because we eat a lot of eggs around here. (Naturally gluten-free!)

composter

Ironically, since I’ve started saving my eggshells for the composter, I’ve also been learning about many OTHER uses of eggshells. Now I’m torn between throwing them in the composter and using them for some of the MANY other ideas listed below. I guess we’ll just have to start eating MORE eggs so I can do them BOTH.

eggshell uses

A few fun FACTS about egg shells:

• An egg shell is made of calcium carbonate, which is also the main ingredient in some antacids. Each medium sized egg shell has about 750-800 mgs of calcium.
  • The shell makes up 9-12 percent of an egg’s total weight, and contains pores that allow oxygen in and carbon dioxide and moisture out.
  • The shell color of an egg is representative of the breed of hen that produces the egg. White hens produce white eggs and brown hens produce brown eggs.

A few SURPRISING uses of egg shells:

Nourishing Face Mask
Pulverize dried egg shells with a mortar and pestle, then whisk the powder in with an egg white and use for a healthful, skin-tightening facial. Allow the face mask to dry before rinsing it off.

Treat Skin Irritations
Drop an eggshell into a small container of apple cider vinegar and let it soak for a couple of days. Dab the mixture on minor skin irritations or on itchy skin.

Powerful Cleaner
Ground eggshells make a wonderful (and nontoxic!) abrasive for those tough-to-clean pots and pans. Mix them with a little soapy water for a powerful clean.

Hummingbird feeders tend to grow all sorts of nasty stuff. Clean it by first by rinsing with hot water. Then add some crushed egg shells, fill 1/2 way with water, and shake. The shells act as an abrasive, removing mold or other built-up gunk. Rinse well before re-filling with hummingbird food.

It’s almost impossible to get a scrub brush down the narrow neck of a thermos. Clean your thermos using the instructions above for hummingbird feeders.

Garden Fertilizer
Eggshells are rich in calcium and other minerals that help your garden thrive. Crush eggshells into tiny pieces and sprinkle into each hole before planting. Then, sprinkle additional shells around the base of your plants every two weeks.

Start Some Seedlings
Fill an egg carton with empty, rinsed eggshell halves and poke a hole in each one for drainage. Then add potting soil and one or two seeds to each shell. When the seedlings are big enough for transplanting outside, just crack the shell at the bottom and plant them, shell and all.

Pest Control
Crush eggshells and scatter them around your vegetables and flowers to fend off slugs, snails, and cutworms. These soft-bodied critters don’t like crawling over sharp pieces of shell. The smell of eggs will also deter deer.

House Plant Booster
Keep a mason jar of eggshells covered with water for watering indoor plants.

Cat Deterrent
Have a problem with cats using your garden as a litter box? Crushed up egg shells will keep them away, too. Just scatter shells in the areas that they frequent, and after stepping on those shells a few times, they’ll move on.

Better Tasting Coffee
Add some crushed eggshells to ground coffee before brewing it to make it taste less bitter. When you’re done, toss the grounds and shells on your compost heap!

Make Your Own Powdered Calcium Supplement
Skip the pills and simply bake your shells at 350 degrees for 8 minutes. Let them cool and grind them to a fine powder. Add your supplement (a teaspoon or less) to your favorite smoothie or juice once a day.

Make Your Own Sidewalk Chalk

What you need:

• Approximately five empty egg shells
  • 1 teaspoon flour
  • 1 teaspoon very hot water
  • food coloring (for colored chalk)

Wash and dry the egg shells.
Crush the egg shell into a bowl and grind it until it is a powder. Make sure all the pieces are ground. Take out any big pieces before going on to the next step.
Mix the flour and hot water in another bowl. Then add 1 tablespoon egg shell powder and mix into a thick paste.
Add your favorite color food coloring. Just add a drop or two for colored chalk. If you want white chalk do not add anything.
Shape the paste into chalk sticks or press into soap molds for fun shapes. If making chalk sticks roll the sticks up tightly in a paper towel.
Let your chalk dry for 3 days.

Laundry Whitener
Some say that if you toss some shells in a mesh bag in your laundry, the gray tint to your whites will disappear.

Eggshell Candles
The next time you have eggs for breakfast, carefully crack the shells in half and save them as a base to fill with beeswax for candles. Just insert a wick, let the wax set and remove the peel.

eggshell uses

For most eggshell uses, it is better to make sure they are clean and free from bacteria. If you don’t wash the eggs thoroughly before using, bake the shells at 150 degrees Fahrenheit on a cookie sheet for about 10 minutes.

What do you do with eggshells?

Never miss a good thing!
Receive a daily dose of Jillee + bonus newsletters.

132 thoughts on “15 Surprising Uses For Eggshells

1. Kate (Here Now Brown Cow)

Wow, who knew?! So many things to do with them, most of them I’d never ever heard before. We crush ours up and put them in the scrap bucket for our chooks to eat, so the next lot of eggs has lovely strong shells too. Also, I’d heard to put two half shells in the garden to look like eyes to deter cabbage moths, but it hasn’t worked too well for me!
    Thanks for the great ideas.

2. Brenda

The part about cleaning them should be stressed. Don’t collect them without them being rinsed or even washed like your dishes! Dry totally before storage, or you will have a rotten egg smell and useless shells. Put the shells around green peppers when planting, and they may just “fix” your soil to get the best pepper, ever. Love the ideas and you site. Thanks, again.

3. Glenda M

Love these ideas. I have used them in making jewelry and they are so cute. Used glitter to make them glow. My DH had a composter he made,unfortunately it began walking down the hill so it has to be modified with a smaller motor so it doesn’t walk. Was so funy to watch.

1. donna renninger

Do you know that the lining of an egg shell is for a boil. Put the wet side down on a boil, put a band aid over it. You can feel it drawing the core out. i tried it.

1. tj

If you don’t mind me asking but. How did he make his iv been thinking on making one my self that would self turn. And it sounds like his came up with one that works wonderfully. plase e mail me at tj.spiri@gmail.com thank u ..o and it not realy for me its for my girl she wants a new one because someone stole are steel one for scrap..

4. Josie

We feed egg shells back to our chickens. Instead of composting food, it all goes in the chicken pen. They will eat pretty much anything. Just don’t feed them raw potatoes or onions.

1. Trixie F

That’s what we always did, too. Then it’s like getting three uses from the shells: 1) a carrying case for the actual egg, 2) a calcium supplement for the chickens (which results in firmer shells, and 3) fertilizer for the lawn/gardens via extra calcium droppings from the chickens. :)

2. JenniPaige

Yup, I do that as well. After making morning breakfast I clean out all eggs used and but them to dry after I have collected enough shells I pulverize them in the food processor. Then I feed it to the laying hens.

3. Danni

Feeding the shells back to the hens helps to insure their eggs contain a good amount of calcium, which strengthens the shells on the new eggs.

1. L. Brundage

The cyanide in the potatoes is poisonous to chickens. As far as I know, the onions just taint the taste of the egg but potatoes are really bad for them (along with anything (bread etc.) that is moldy.

1. Barbara Florang Casper

I was raised on an old time farm, and we had lots of free range chickens (locked in their house during the winter). They were fed all leftovers, scraps, corn, oats, and even would eat the left over dogfood/milk Dad fed the dogs. They were always healthy, and good layers and made the best noodles and dumplings!

4. mari dots

Make sure that you bake the egg shells and crush them very finely before feeding them back to your chickens. If you feed fresh egg shells back to them, it causes them to eat their own eggs as soon as they are laid. I put egg shells on a cookie sheet and bake them for about 15 minutes in a hot oven, then when they cool, run them over with a rolling pin. Big chunks of shell can cut the chickens as they swallow. But its a great way to recycle the shells!

5. MARI DOTS

Use caution feeding your chickens their egg shells. Chickens eating raw egg shells will often start breaking and eating their own eggs as soon as they lay it or find another one somewhere. The best way is to bake the broken shells at 300 for 15 minutes on a cookie sheet, then use a rolling pin to smash them into tiny pieces and then feed them back to the chickens. Saves having to buy oyster shell for the calcium they need and they aren’t so inclined to eat their own eggs that way. I’ve done this for years when I have chickens so I know it works well.

5. Wendy

Tons of great ideas here! I have used egg shells as starters for my chives. The seeds are so small, it is great to have them in a handy container to plant. They have done much better than the seeds I just planted straight into the pot.

6. Judy

I use them when making soup stock for canning. It makes the stock clearer. When the homemade stock is about ready for straining. I take 2 eggs. Separate & using only the whites & the crushed shells mix together with about 1 tablespoon of water. Pour this on top of the simmering stock. It becomes a sort of raft as it floats to the top. All of the sediment, pieces of vegetables etc.-cling to the raft. I let that simmer for about 10 minutes & then strain it through a cheesecloth lined strainer.

7. Sharon Annis

You can also bake them and crush them to feed them to your backyard chickens. You want to make sure you break them up so they don’t resemble an egg when they eat it so they don’t learn to eat their own eggs. This way you are giving them extra calcium to help them make strong egg shells.

8. cheryl kinjerki

A little correction about which chickens lay which eggs. From the website, backyardchickens.com
    Some white chickens (leghorns) lay white eggs. Others (white rocks) lay brown eggs. In many instances chickens with white ear LOBES lay white eggs and chickens with red ear lobes lay brown eggs, but there are several exceptions to this generalization.

1. Barbara

I was going to make the same comment! Earlobe color not chicken color. And another interesting factoid is that all eggs are either white or blue. Their color changes during the last 90 or so minutes before laying. The chicken has a way to actually dye the egg brown. If the egg comes out too fast you get streaked eggs.

1. Susie M

I have heard that about the earlobe color – but I have 5 white hens, 3 with red lobes that lay medium brown eggs, and the other two are silkies that have iridescent blueish green earlobes, but they lay pale flesh colored eggs. So I guess that shoots that all to pot! ha ha!

1. G Sutton

We have Light Brahma’s – they are all white with some black feathers and they lay all brown eggs. Just thought I would throw that info in with the rest of the “color” of the egg comments.. very interesting!

2. Jean

I was also going to comment about which chickens lay what color eggs. I have a brown leghorn who lays white eggs. Ameracaunas are Easter eggers and lay blue/green eggs. We have sever different varieties of chickens and get a wonderful variety of egg colors.
      Thanks for the extra uses for shells! Great article!

3. Pam

Thanks for addressing this…as someone who raises chickens knows, the color of egg depends on the breed of chicken, not the color of the bird…if this was the logic, then the green and blue tinted eggs would come from blue or green birds! I don’t know where these mis-facts come from but it is good to educate when we see them. I have heard of the ear lobe color to egg color connection, but have never checked my Girls to verify. I have learned the color of egg laid according to each breed of chicken.

4. Tina

wondered when someone would correct this, all leghorns lay white eggs and they come in brown, white, black , mottled ,ect. so white chickens don’t just lay white eggs and brown chickens don’t just lay brown eggs.

9. Edna

I use my egg shells to grow beautiful tomatoes. Dry rot on tomatoes is a lack of calcium in the soil. Dig the hole for tomato plant, put a large handful of crushed shells in the bottom, put your plant in, cover with soil, then sprinkle more shells around the plant.

10. Sharon H

Like you, I also add them to my garden for all the reasons you mentioned, and in addition to those particular garden pests….rabbits ( I love rabbits) don’t like walking on them while snacking on my green beans! I don’t like using poisons, like Seven Dust, and started using the egg shells out of frustration with the selfishness of little critters….they were eating more and leaving less!

Cleaned, broken egg shells are great for kids’ mosaic-type craft projects. And there are some cute jewelry pieces using shells.

Good post, thanks!

11. KT

Did you also know that you may use egg shells to sharpen the blades on your blender and food processor? It works great! Just throw then in and pulse away!

1. marcia

I am totally going to use my food processor now for these! I understand if you store them in the freezer there is no bacteria problem. We already bake the cracked eggs to feed back to the hens – we have a lot of them! (hens that is, not cracked eggs!

12. Bekah M

I knew that you could use eggshells as fertilizer, but I didn’t know there were additional benefits to using them in the garden! Thanks for the tip.

I’m a little weirded out about pulverizing & ingesting them though…..

1. Deez

I’ve been doing the eggshells in my container garden for 6 years now. I never connected the lack of slugs/snails with doing so. I’ve been told it’s not the same as bone meal, then I researched it. AND then I asked the ‘experts’—-the old farmers around here. Between feeding them back to the chickens and crushing and fertilizing their gardens, AND using compost, it’s how they’ve saved money by not buying fertilizer for their home growns. I was also informed they never had any trouble selling their surplus either. ;)

13. Marianne

Can the eggshell fertilizer thing be used for any type of plant that you’re growing? Or are there some plants that won’t do well in calcium-rich soil? I’m growing some flowers in pots and am thinking of sprinkling some eggshells in there (I don’t know exactly what kind of flowers because the packet of seeds just says “Mixed Wildflowers”).

1. Gwyn

I heard this tip years ago when I did more gardening and as I recall there are some plants that do better without the added egg shells but I forget what they were exactly. You might check into it. I’m sure googling egg shells for plants or natural ways to supplement soil…something like that will come up with info.

14. Krystina B

I like to make cascarones, a mexican staple we made as a child. You crack a small hole about a half inch wide on the more narrow end of the egg. Empty egg. Everytime we would make eggs or something that called for eggs we would just crack the egg like I explained rinse and dry. once dry you can dye the egg for color, We especially liked to make these for easter. If you dye them, let them dry again. Once dry, fill the eggs with confetti, then cut small squares of tissue paper big enough to cover the hole. take a glue stick and rub the glue around the hole and cover with the tissue paper. Once glue is dry they are ready. I like to make them for the kids for easter and hide them and once found they can break them over each others heads. Very messy so keep it outdoors. Course I also make the traditional boiled eggs too that way we have those to eat too!!!

15. Phyllis Warren

we toast ours and let them cool, then we crush them and feed them back to the chickens, if you have chickens that constantly bust their own eggs and eat them, it is becaue they are craving the calcium – it is very important that you bake them first – never given the chickens raw egg shells – it is the same as going to the store and buying the crushed oyster shells and feeding the chickens – but here just do it with your own egg shells!

16. Karen Hicks

The statement you made about the color of chicken eggs in relation to the color of the chickens is just ridiculous. But it’s a common misconception that alot of people have.

I have many breeds of chickens on my farm that lay many different colors of eggs. White, brown, green , blue– you name it, we have it! Just for an example– Delaware’s are white with a few black feathers and they lay brown eggs. Black Sumatra’s are solid black and they lay white eggs. My Ameraucana’s are gray but they lay blue eggs.

I love your posts, I read them in my email every day. I just wanted to let you know that today’s wasn’t quite completely accurate. :)

1. Gwyn

I’m curious, do the same variety of chicken always lay the same color eggs? In other words will all Delaware’s always lay brown eggs? It may sound ridiculous to you but there is information out there that seems as credible as you or anyone else, that presents Jillee’s statement as fact so inaccurate or not I’m not sure it’s a ridiculous thing for her to say. It’s obvious your intentions are all good and you have first hand experience though so I’m sure you were giggling as you wrote that which is why I ask the question I’m really curious about what if anything affects the color or if it’s all genetics.

1. Karen Hicks

First off, I’m sorry if my post came off sounding condescending or ridiculing anyone. That wasn’t my intention at all. But it just reminded me of someone saying “white milk comes from white cows and chocolate milk comes from brown cows.” yes, really, I had an ADULT say that to me. :) I don’t mean to sound like a know-it-all or anything either. I’ve lived on a farm my whole life and I raise chickens now, so it’s pretty much second nature to me. I know there are some things that I do/believe may not be just right. It’s kind of like a learning experience. I’m constantly reading and researching things about my chickens and farm. My hens are like kids– they love to prove you wrong every chance that they get. lol

It’s genetics that determine the color of the eggs. Certain breeds just lay certain color eggs. But it is possible for the chickens to lay different shades of eggs. Some of my hens lay more than one egg a day. For the brown layers, their first eggs are usually the darkest. And subsequent ones after that are usually lighter and/or speckled. The pigmentation of the egg shell is the last stage before it is laid. With the exception of my Marans. Their eggs are extremely dark brown, never really any variation in them.

1. Gwyn

Brown milk, brown cows…hehehehe…I’ve heard that too actually heard an adult telling a child that, city slickers! But if that’s what you’ve been told and believe from the time you were a child, I guess. It’s the things we have just known all our lives that are the hardest to believe others don’t know. No worries though it was always clear, at least to me, that chickens were a part of your world and your opening was just a knee jerk reaction not meant to be negative toward anyone. I hope I was clear on that!

Thank you for the experience based info on the eggs, I figured you were a good person to ask. Very interesting that the shades vary. How wonderful it must be to get precious beautiful surprises every day. Little treasures! Aren’t everyone’s animals like kids? lol

1. Gwyn

You are rite it certainly is easy to look up these days. Both a blessing and a curse because it’s just as easy to get the wrong information as it is the correct information. Well meaning and credible people often share improper or incomplete info that they believe to be true all the time just like well meaning people sometimes correct information with wrong information. That’s why I like to ask people with first hand experience when I can unfortunately that isn’t always readily available. Either way it’s all in the tone.

17. Linda

We save dyed shells from Easter to make mosaics on small match boxes to make pretty containers for rocks or whatever treasures we find. Just coat box sections with white glue and press the broken shells onto the box using blue for sky or green for grass or even solid colors. It’s a quiet art activity that is limited only by imagination.

1. Jean

Linda, do you have a good recipe for homemade dog food? think this dog food we are buying now is actually killing our pets sooner than need be. I make all their treats but would like a recipe for their food. thanks

1. valerie

Jean, I make my dog’s food all the time. You can Google homemade dog food and tons of websites pop up.
        What I do is pick a meat like ground beef, or chicken thighs and cook it; I use 1 LB of meat. Then I pick a veggie like canned green beans, peas, carrots, or if I have broccoli left over I use that. Also add a grain, I use 1 cup of rice, or oatmeal. Sometimes I use potatoes (about 2-33 regular size potatoes with skin on) Sweet potatoes are also very good. Most of the time I’ll cook the rice or oatmeal in the chicken broth if I used chicken, or plain water if I used ground beef. Basic recipe 1 lb of meat, 1 cup of grain, 1 can of veggie.

All of this would depend on what size your dog is, I have two small dogs and they are easy to cook for.
        Both my pups love their dinner, and both are very healthy.

1. CTY

I too make dog food, recipe is similar to Valerie’s. Absolutely no onion or garlic, because it is toxic to dogs. I add 1 TB flax seed for healthy coat & regularity; 1 tsp (per cup of finished food) cider vinegar for joint care, bones are good for marrow & nutrients, they are discarded later; 2-3 whole eggs, meat scraps, skin & fat for protein & fat- eggs give calcium too. Carrots & other vegetables or apple–peels or whole for a vitamin/fiber boost. Simmer 1-3 hours, let cool on its own, take whatever meat off bones–discard bones. I pulse the meat and eggs in the foods processor until egg shells are very small. They get about 1/4 C with their dry kibble. Sounds like a lot of work but it lasts 2-3 month. I place in canning jars & freeze. Sometimes, when I am already canning for us I pressure can (pressure can, not hot water bath) a few.
          We have 2 very happy/satisfied dogs, they are German Shepherds. Neither is over weight & both are very active. The old girl is 14 and gives the puppy (18 mos.) a run for her money. The old girl caught a rabbit not too long ago. The puppy was in awe. We were heartbroken.

1. CTY

As I am making a special cake that requires Greek yogurt cheese (yochee) & you have to drain the whey off–I remembered that I also add that to the dog food after the cooking stage. Like people, it adds, protein, calcium & pro-biotics. The pro-biotics will survive the freezing.

2. Gwyn

Couple questions. Do you grind the Flax seed and add later or put it in with the rest and cook? Do you cover with water to simmer and discard the water or make a soupy, stew sort of thing? The eggs…are you just putting 3 whole eggs in to simmer the whole time and grinding it all up with everything or just the shells? Can’t say as I have ever heard of cooking an egg that long…though can’t think of any reason not to either! Haha Thank you both for sharing your recipes.

1. cty

I don’t grind the flax seed. I keep the broth, it has a lot of nutrients & flavor and makes the grinding easier–if it is too watery I add more rice or potato. I use the whole egg, not just the shells. I will add extra shells if I used any that day. We cook them less time when we eat them so the shell is easier to peel. No nutrition is lost & the long simmer softens up the shells.
              Forgot to mention–as a rule I avoid pork in their food–it is hard to digest & gels into a giant blob.
              Also, because I use mostly scraps (meats & peels etc)–I freeze them until I get enough for a big pot.

2. Asheart

Potatoes are poisonous for dogs. Their digestion system doesn’t produce enzymes to utilize starch. I would never ever dive a potato to my dog!

18. Sandy

Depending on the day, my shells are either put all at once down the garbage disposal to give it an abrasive cleansing or saved for my worms! Healthy red wigglers love finely ground egg shells!

19. Penny

crush the egg shells bake them and feed back to your chickens saves on buying oastershells. for people who don’t know about chickens the oastershell keeps the egg shells hard

20. Anne

Thanks for the inspiration to use eggshells. My mom used to keep them after washing them in a container filled with water. Then she would use that water to water her plants.

1. Kim

My grandmother did the same thing, except she wouldn’t wash them first. Stunk to high heaven, but she swore it was the best fertilized water out there. The smell dissipates after a while.

21. Mychal

Going a totally different direction here: we use egg shells at celebrations! After cleaning out the eggshells, dye them like Easter eggs. Add bits of confetti or cut up colored paper, and close the hole with some tissue paper. Then at graduation parties or birthdays, the kids have fun cracking them over each other. We use biodegradable paper products and let them have at it outside. Great fun. It’s a Mexican tradition we learned of when I was little– I don’t remember the Spanish term for it though.

22. Comet

My Silver Lace Wyandotte chickens lay lovely brown eggs–and the chickens are black with a white lacing! Many different chicken breeds lay many different colors of eggs.

But no need to go off on Jillee for not being a chicken expert!

My Great Grandmother was famous for her African Violets and she ALWAYS had several jars loaded with egg shells and water “brewing” for them. We had to save the shells and bring them when we visited!

23. deb

Wow! I do a lot of these but some are even new to me. They are a very viable and usueful source for so many things! I remember when we used to add egg shells to a jar of water and kept reusing them. eventually we couldn’t stand the smell when we opened it and would start al over with fresh ones. But the house plants loved it. Now I use my pond water with all “that” natural fertilizer in it ;) The shells go in the garden to deter snails and slugs. Will have to try it for those pesky strays too!
    *hugs*deb

24. KimH

Nothing new here.. I’ve always crushed them up & either put them in the compost big or tossed them over the rail into my asparagus bed I have healthy asparagus. ;)

25. Deb

YEAH Jillie I have a similar composter by our garden. I’m having so much fun making sure all of the compostable goods get to the composter. Sometimes I have rinds and peelings that are large (like watermelon) and I cut them up into smaller strips and put those in too. So far about the only thing I’ve trashed are the cobs of corn on the cob. but I like you have been torn of putting my egg shells around my tomato plants instead of the composter. I also keep the banana peels out and put them around my rose bushes. All these years and I hadn’t a clue!!!!

1. Kelcey O

JudyB: the banana peels give the roses the potassium they need. I make “smoothies” for my climbing “Don Juan” roses and they produce more flowers and healthier growth. Smoothie: tear 2 banana peels into strips (discard the hard end pieces), put in blender & add water to cover. Puree until smooth. Put into gallon jug (I use a milk jug) & finish filling with water. Shake well and pour around bottom of rose bush (There will be some thick gunk that didn’t puree but just pour that on as well). One gallon of smoothie per rose bush per week makes for GREAT roses!
        Jillie thanks for such a great site! Love it! You”ve inspired me to make my own natural cleaners and I’m loving the savings and the removal of chemicals from our household environment.

26. Sherry

toast them and feed them back to your chickens, they love them and it makes their egg shells stronger. Also you can dry them and cover little craft boxes with the broken bits and shelac the finish product, make a cute gift.

27. Cynthia M.

This is a decorative idea brought to my family by my daughter-in-law. When she was growing up, at Easter, besides just dying hard-boiled eggs, they also dyed shells. They then took a branch from the back yard, poked holes through the top of the dyed shell, ran ribbon through and hung them on the ‘tree’. It sounds a little crazy but it was very organic and natural looking and I loved it! She said she thinks her mom started doing it because with 4 children they were never satisfied with dying a few eggs, so she did it to keep them happy. Also the inside of the egg shell dyes more intensely and is really pretty.

28. Mary

Use powdered shells for Flies in your house. I bought a container with a slit on top. It came with a white powder. I found out later that it was egg shells. I could have saved myself a lot of money. The flies go into it and I guess they can’t get out. It does work.

29. JulieD

I purchased a small coffee grinder and use it exclusively to crush my egg shells. It works wonders and is the perfect size. If your dogs have diarrhea, sprinkle crushed egg shells on their food and it helps to get rid of it.

30. Molly Price

I actually use them in my art for texture. As with other ways make sure you clean them and let them dry and also try to get all the membrane you can out of the inside. try not to break them in really small pieces because you might want to use some of the bigger pieces in your art. I use mod podge but you can probably use most any glues pva glues work the best though. spread the glue on whatever surface your working on its best to work in small section at a time so you don’t have to worry about the glue drying up. start fitting the egg shell down on your glue surface breaking the egg shell to whatever size you want. when you have everything how you like it let it dry once it’s dry put a top layer of glue on and let that dry. then you can paint it how ever you like. it gives your art a very cool look and texture.

31. Juanita in Ohio

WOW, this post brings back some long forgotten and wonderful tips! I thank you for bringing them to light again it is my blessing for today. TFS.

32. Sherry H.

“White hens produce white eggs and Brown hens produce brown eggs”

Actually, it isn’t the color of the plumage, but the ears that tell the shell color. Red ears, brown eggs, white ears, white eggs. A brown Leghorn will lay the most beautiful large white eggs. Now if you really want to be confused….Americaunas lay green eggs…and I have no idea what color their ears are. ;) M

33. Iris

Banana peels and over-ripe bananas are also good for your Staghorn Ferns Mine are high up on an oak tree so I just stand back and toss them into the center of them. Makes them a dark and lush green. Just make sure they are very over-ripe or the squirles will grab them and run.

34. Vienna

Hats off to those with backyard chickens! I am not sure if most people know this, but eggs you buy at the store (mass produced) are from chickens who are inhumanely treated. Even if it says ‘ Free Range’ it could mean that they have a tiny door open a few hours a day but still not really see the light of day or breathe fresh air. Please get to know your local, humane chicken farmer as an egg source if you don’t have chickens yourself. The eggs will be more delicious too!

35. manicure or pedicure

And instead of feeling obligated to hang out with your family on Thanksgiving, you can just throw a Fourth of July barbecue with your friends.
    Click here to see the entire collection from Kim, Khloe,
    Kris, Kylie and Kendall. Those who feel naked when their lips feel
    naked may prefer to play up their pout with a slick of bright fuschia, coral or red lipstick.

1. Patty

Seriously Shirley? I’m not trying to make that sarcastic, but if you are getting this by email and honestly don’t know, it’s for easy “pinning” to Pintrest.

2. Gwyn

No such thing as a dumb question. If you want to save the tip or post to Pinterest you can just click on that “Pin it” button. Pinterest is a place where you can create an account with “boards” for different categories to keep track of all of those things you find on line and want to be able to refer back to later. It’s worth checking out and free.

36. JB

When stung by a bee, wasp, etc., crack open an egg, save the egg in a small bowl. Scrape out a piece of the membrain inside of the shell. Lay it on the sting and you will have instant relief from the pain of getting stung!

37. Sande

One thing not mentioned is that crushed egg shells around the base of plants vulnerable to snail attack goes a long way to protect the plants. The sharp edges of the shells keep almost all of the snails away. Those that make it through the barrier do not live to tell the tale!

38. Joy Parrish

I make my own colloidal silver and when I gather the eggs I spray them with it to kill the bacteria on the shells. Some “free range” chickens free range only in a huge building. Pretty sad! I love my farm fresh eggs of all colors! Colloidal silver also makes your strawberries and grapes last longer in the frig.

39. Sue

Egg shells, banana peels and water in food processor make the most amazing food for Tomato plants… mine are huge!… (apparently 1 teaspoon Epsom salts in 3 cups of water in spray container make them (tomato plants) double their fruit quantities … but haven’t had time to try that yet!)…

40. susie Q

I throw my egg shells in the back yard near my trees. At this time of year, the small birds come and eat the shells for their gullets my husband said. Pretty much gone! They only come around 5 pm but they love them.