Ever since my family and I started discovering the beauty and benefits of essential oils…I’ve been a bit obsessed with making my own products using them. Mostly I have dabbled in cleaning products…but tonight as I was folding some bedding I’d just washed, I got to thinking about trying my hand at making my own “Linen Water” (which is a fancy way of saying….scented spray for sheets and laundry.)
I looked around online for some purchasing options and had to laugh a little at what I found. How about this lovely bottle of “Lothantique Linen Water” for $26.00!! Well, it IS a lovely bottle with an equally lovely label! I’ll give them that much. But come on….really? $26.00???? I think we can do better than that. ;-)
Homemade Lavender Linen Spray
What you are going to need:
- 40-50 drops (or approx. 1/2 tsp) lavender essential oil
- 1/4 cup unflavored vodka (I had isopropyl alcohol on hand so that’s what I used)
- approx. 3 1/2 cups distilled water
- glass container for storing (I used a 32 oz. repurposed vinegar bottle)
- small spray bottle
Mix the vodka (helps the oil mix with the water) and lavender essential oil in the bottle.
Then, add distilled water to the bottle until it is almost full.
Shake the bottle to disperse the oils evenly throughout.
Store the linen spray in the large glass bottle.
Fill a small spray bottle and shake lightly before each use.
Now go spray everything in the house from the curtains to bed pillows to the towels in the bathroom! The great thing about this spray is that it won’t overpower you, no matter how much or how many places you spritz it.
Some OTHER ideas for using your lovely Lavender water around the house include:
- When washing bedding and linens, add some lavender water to the rinse cycle. Your bedding will have a light lavender scent (lavender helps those with sleep problems).
- Use when ironing, spritz a bit of the lavender water on the items being ironed. Will add a nice lavender scent to the garment.
- Lavender water can also be used as a beauty aid, try it as a skin freshener on hot summer days, a hair rinse, splash in the bath or dab around temples for headache relief.
- Insect repellent, try it for mosquito repellent use as well as a mosquito bite itch helper. Lavender deters flies and other insects too.