Enameled cookware, such as your trusty Le Creuset dutch oven, is really useful in the kitchen! These pots and pans are usually made of heavy cast iron that is covered in an porcelain layer. These two materials give you the best of both worlds in the kitchen: these pans heat evenly, are well-insulated, but they have a smooth easy-to-use cooking surface. But even with knowing these things beforehand, I really didn’t understand what all the fuss was about until I bought my own! My Le Creuset pan quickly became my go-to pan, and I still use it more often than most of my other pans!
However, there is one slight drawback to enameled cookware–you’re not supposed to wash in the dishwasher. And while I was perfectly happy washing my Le Creuset by hand, I was apprehensive about scrubbing at those tough, baked-on residues and stains that tend to accumulate on the inside. I wanted them gone, but I didn’t want to scratch or ruin the enameled surface! So I did some research to find the best way to clean enameled cookware, and I put together a method that’s been working really well for me. And that’s what I’m sharing with you today!
MY LATEST VIDEOS
Follow these simple steps and your enameled cookware will keep looking great, and it will serve you well for years to come! :-)
How To Clean Enameled Cookware
Step 1 – Wash
Start by washing your pot with warm, soapy water. This will help get any major messes taken care of before you start on the trickier or more stubborn ones.
Step 2 – Scrub
For the next step, you’ll need baking soda and a small dish. Put some baking soda into the dish, and stir in enough water to form a paste. Scoop some of the baking soda paste onto a tooth brush, sponge or some paper towels. Use the paste to clean any stubborn residues or stains inside of your enameled cookware.
Baking soda is abrasive enough to scrub away tough messes, but gentle enough that it shouldn’t damage the enameled finish. When you’re finished scrubbing, rinse the baking soda mixture.
Step 3 – Erase
For the final step, you’ll use a Magic Eraser. This step should only be necessary if the first two steps didn’t take care of all the stains in your pot. I also want to mention that this should be done sparingly, as the abrasive foam in the sponge could scratch or wear down the enameled surface if you overdo it.
Grab a small section of a Magic Eraser and moisten it with water. Then simply “erase” any remaining stains or residues in the bottom of your pot. Give your pot another swish with warm, soapy water, and you’re done!
These simple steps take care of 95% of the stains and residues that form in my enameled cookware pieces. I don’t worry about the other 5%, because it gives my cookware the look of being well-used and well-loved (which of course, it is!) I hope these tips end up being as helpful for you as they have been for me! :-)