"Shout" It Out (Homemade version)

shoutitI’ve done homemade laundry detergent….my version of OxyCleanfoaming hand soap…and stove/kitchen cleaner!  It occurred to me today while doing some laundry that the only thing I haven’t tried is a stain pre-treater like “Shout“.  Since my bottle was almost empty I figured a little research was called for.

Me and my friend Google found many different “recipes” out there for homemade “Shout“.  As usual, they were all pretty similar.  The one I decided to try I found at My Kitchen Escapades.

Homemade “Shout” Stain Pre-Treater

2/3 cups Dawn Dishwashing Liquid (I had Palmolive on hand, so that’s what I used)
2/3 cups ammonia
6 Tblsp baking soda
2 cups warm water

Mix everything together then use a funnel to pour into an old Shout bottle or other spray bottle.

To use: shake bottle then spray on stains as you normally would.  I usually let mine “soak in” for a few minutes at least.  Then launder as usual.

(I only had this tiny spray bottle available,
so I put the rest in an empty spaghetti jar.)

I used this formulation a couple of times this past weekend and found it every bit as effective as that “other pre-treater that shall not be named”.

Go on….Give it a try! :-)

Facebook171Twitter2Pinterest17655Google+2

Comments

1. ashleyshomemadeadventures says

I made this a couple of weeks ago so I had to come back and tell you how much I love it! I accidentally washed my husband's clothes with a highlighter in one of the pairs of pants. It was pretty bad…. yellow all over his favorite jeans. I put the homemade shout on, rubbed it in a little bit and put it back in the washer. It saved his jeans! Thank you! :)

p.s. I used the bright pink palmolive oxy instead of dawn

2. Anonymous says

I made this and tripled the recipe. The small bottle of Palmolive is exactly 16 ounces (2 Cups). That way I don't have to measure the Palmolive out and then try to get it out of the measuring cup. I had a empty spray bottle which I filled up, then I had about a 1/2 gallon left over that I put in a recycled orange juice container. Perfect now I have plenty for several months.

For the ones of you having trouble with the baking soda, try to disolve it first in the warm water. That's how I did mine and yes some does still settle to the bottom, but i just shake it up a little and I don't have any problem with it.

If you are still having issues with it what I would do is transfer the stain remover to a empty dish soap bottle, that way you don't have to deal with it stopping up the sprayer. I found a old bottle of Spray and Wash stain remover in my laundry cabinet and the bottle was one that was similiar to a dish soap bottle, so my guess is before they put this stuff in spray bottles they probably use to put it in those pull top bottles.

Chris in FL

3. Terri says

Bleach and Ammonia are Explosive and the Vapors will burn your lungs !! Seriously, look it up…

I want to try this, but knowing that Bleach is used heavily in washing clothes, its just to risky !!

Sadly, this did not work for my laundry. Hubs is a driver for a steel recycling company and gets into some really greasy dirt. I had to wash his tshirts with this plus detergent 3 times to remove the stains. Any idea how to fortify this formula to make it work better on these tough stains? I am so sick and tired of shelling out so much money for commercial stain removers.

• Cydne says

On really tough grease, you can try pre-treating with WD-40 and then following with this stain treatment. Or buy a degreaser that isn’t a stain remover and use it on his clothes; I have used Greased Lightning with some success & it is cheaper in the long run than stain removers.

• Sabrina says

Instead of baking soda, can borax be used?
      I have great luck removing stains with my homemade dry laundry soap. I just we the stain, rub in some hm dry laundry soap, let it sit for an hr or so and wash as usual. That technique removed a dryed in grease stain from a beloved pink jacket of mine. It took 2 times, but well worth the effort.
      Borax is the bomb. lol

5. kim says

I’m having trouble! My husband and kids say they don’t think the clothes are getting clean. They have a sower oder to them. not every load, just some times. then when you get that smell in your clothes it is hard to get rid of it. I try soaking in vinegar. help any suggestions on why this is happening? they keep telling me to go buy real detergent. any suggestions how to get rid of smell?

• Jodi says

It might be your washing machine. Sometimes the mildew odor gets inside the machine and it then transfers to the clothes. You can buy washing machine cleaner in the laundry aisle. Also, if it’s just certain loads, it might be that you accidently let them sit in the washer too long before transferring them to the dryer. Towels are particularly susceptible to this. Search for how to remove mildew smell from clothes wikihow has a good article on this. Good luck!

• Jamie says

When I have forgotten a load in the washer and it’s getting that smell, I rewash in warm with a little detergent (I use Jillee’s homemade powder) and about 1/2 cup to 1 cup (depends on size of load) of baking soda. Always does the trick!

6. Leslie says

Your stain remover sounds great, I’m looking forward to trying it out. One question, though. Can you treat the stain and then leave it in the basket until wash day? That is one of the things I appreciate about “Shout”. Thanks!

7. Kimmy says

I had a different “recipe” for a stain remover and found that using Dawn in the mixture did not work well in my front loader (as in, created lots and lots of suds and completely shut my washer, down). Has anyone tried this with a front load washer?

8. Elizabeth says

My ‘Homemade Shout’ Stain Pretreater works to remove the stains, but it leaves lots of little holes. With further laundering the holes get bigger and BIGGER!!! Did I miss a step???

Oh no! I haven’t heard of that happening to anyone else. How long did you leave the shout on your clothes? I was trying to get a tough stain out of a shirt once and left a different stain remover on overnight and ended up with a whole in my shirt.

1. [...] Stain Pre-treater (“Shout”): This is what I use to pre-treat stains on clothing before I send them through the wash. You know the ones I’m talking about…food stains, grass and mud stains, etc etc etc. The stains that most likely will NOT come out simply by washing them. I’ve actually posted about this twice: Homemade “Shout” Stain Remover. . . Better Than The Real Thing! and “Shout” It Out (Homemade version) [...]