"Shout" It Out (Homemade version)

shoutitI’ve done homemade laundry detergent….my version of OxyCleanfoaming hand soap…and stove/kitchen cleaner!  It occurred to me today while doing some laundry that the only thing I haven’t tried is a stain pre-treater like “Shout“.  Since my bottle was almost empty I figured a little research was called for.

Me and my friend Google found many different “recipes” out there for homemade “Shout“.  As usual, they were all pretty similar.  The one I decided to try I found at My Kitchen Escapades.

Homemade “Shout” Stain Pre-Treater

2/3 cups Dawn Dishwashing Liquid (I had Palmolive on hand, so that’s what I used)
2/3 cups ammonia
6 Tblsp baking soda
2 cups warm water

Mix everything together then use a funnel to pour into an old Shout bottle or other spray bottle.

To use: shake bottle then spray on stains as you normally would.  I usually let mine “soak in” for a few minutes at least.  Then launder as usual.

(I only had this tiny spray bottle available,
so I put the rest in an empty spaghetti jar.)

I used this formulation a couple of times this past weekend and found it every bit as effective as that “other pre-treater that shall not be named”.

Go on….Give it a try! :-)

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter2Pin on Pinterest17,834Google+2

Comments

1. ashleyshomemadeadventures says

I made this a couple of weeks ago so I had to come back and tell you how much I love it! I accidentally washed my husband's clothes with a highlighter in one of the pairs of pants. It was pretty bad…. yellow all over his favorite jeans. I put the homemade shout on, rubbed it in a little bit and put it back in the washer. It saved his jeans! Thank you! :)

p.s. I used the bright pink palmolive oxy instead of dawn

• Jessica says

In my experience this works great on grass stains on white ball pants but to really get the red dirt out I still soak in Iron Out.

2. Anonymous says

wOw,I am so sUper excited to try this! thanks so much for sharing with everyone :) off to walmart I go (:

3. Anonymous says

I made this and tripled the recipe. The small bottle of Palmolive is exactly 16 ounces (2 Cups). That way I don't have to measure the Palmolive out and then try to get it out of the measuring cup. I had a empty spray bottle which I filled up, then I had about a 1/2 gallon left over that I put in a recycled orange juice container. Perfect now I have plenty for several months.

For the ones of you having trouble with the baking soda, try to disolve it first in the warm water. That's how I did mine and yes some does still settle to the bottom, but i just shake it up a little and I don't have any problem with it.

If you are still having issues with it what I would do is transfer the stain remover to a empty dish soap bottle, that way you don't have to deal with it stopping up the sprayer. I found a old bottle of Spray and Wash stain remover in my laundry cabinet and the bottle was one that was similiar to a dish soap bottle, so my guess is before they put this stuff in spray bottles they probably use to put it in those pull top bottles.

Chris in FL

• Laurie says

Chris, that was great advice. Sometimes it’s the LITTLE things (like a stupid clogged spray bottle) that end up sabotaging my efforts to be frugal and/or natural. LOL

• MG says

From what I’ve seen on the carpet cleaning post, ammonia does not ‘bleach’ like bleach does

4. Jamie says

I’ve been using this stain remover for several months now and I just wanted to tell you how great it is!!

5. Terri says

Bleach and Ammonia are Explosive and the Vapors will burn your lungs !! Seriously, look it up…

I want to try this, but knowing that Bleach is used heavily in washing clothes, its just to risky !!

• Sarah says

so don’t use bleach or bleach-containing detergent in your laundry loads, seems easy enough…

• Lexi says

So don’t inhale it. Just about everything in our homes (and outside) is toxic if inhaled or ingested.

• Cydne says

You can’t combine Oxy-clean or Biz with Bleach either, and they are sold as laundry products.
        I have used ammonia as a stain remover for years. I just make sure that once I have worked the stain out, I rinse it really well.

1. [...] Stain Pre-treater (“Shout”): This is what I use to pre-treat stains on clothing before I send them through the wash. You know the ones I’m talking about…food stains, grass and mud stains, etc etc etc. The stains that most likely will NOT come out simply by washing them. I’ve actually posted about this twice: Homemade “Shout” Stain Remover. . . Better Than The Real Thing! and “Shout” It Out (Homemade version) [...]